Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
If anyone in the social or casual space is looking for a really senior server side (Java, C++) or client side (Flex/Flash, Unity) developer in or around London... I'm looking for work. My Facebook startup has gone tits up.

I'm also open to the rest of Europe, just looking for something cool.

Hit me up at sajobs@tamedtornado.com, I'd rather not post my CV to the forum. :)

I'm going to be trolling the jobs sites in England hard tomorrow looking for the good postings - any recommendations on sites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

19orFewer posted:

I saw a Bioware job ad late last year that was demanding a NWN module as a prerequisite - though I can't imagine that's very common and may have been the last ever. Something new that involves at least some scripting possibilities is a better bet.

They require that of their writers, if not other positions as well.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

A friend forwarded my candidature to RTW for an assistant producer position. After the initial contact I never heard anything back from RTW; kind of glad that this never went further :shobon:

I got interviewed by RTW right before I got hired by Crytek. I talked to some guy with a really thick Scots accent on the phone, and it took a few tries before I understood his question, which was something like "How do you do a loop that only does odd numbers" or something like that.. Once I finally understood his question, I answered him.

That was pretty much the interview. For a senior position. I never heard back from them, and boy was I glad of that later.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Did we meet when I was over at Crytek?

Nah, I was visiting Frankfurt the weekend after you had your interview though. I am friends with the guy who had the position you were interviewing for there.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

sebzilla posted:

I'm thinking about embarking on a Game Design course with Train2Game, and would be interested to hear if anyone in this thread has experience of them and thinks it is any good or not. I've had a chat with a guy from the course and it all sounds very interesting, and from what he said the job prospects for those graduating the course are pretty solid. On the other hand, I want to be sure it's worthwhile before dropping five grand and 18 months on it!

Is this a troll?

Short answer: No. It's not. Spend those 18 months doing some actual work if you want to be in games. Read the thread.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
If we're talking education (that's not an 18 month scam course), then I agree.

Get a degree in Comp Sci (if you want to be an engineer), or fine art or business if you want to be somewhere else.

Whatever you do, don't take anything with "games" in the degree name or from a games-specific trade school. While they can theoretically produce good employees, they limit your options and the mainstream degrees don't.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Solus posted:

This one look lik a genuinely decent one, its an entirely newmedia based school, been around quite a while. But I will keep that in mind.

Time to bust out the old stationary then...

Take his advice to heart. I know we're random goons, but I've been doing this a long time and Devilmouse is like Grand Poobah of Zynga or some poo poo. We both hire people for games.

Don't go to a games school. Trust us.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Solus posted:

So what I've gained from you fantastical game design dudes/lady dudes at 4am on a Thursday

- Stick with Blender, work on making shinies
- Draw, Paint, Doodle, Sketch to get better.
- Potentially leave New Zealand due to an Average game industry
- No game schools due to pigeonholing. (even though I'm currently a Geography Major)
- Trust your goonfriends

Anything I missed?

Personally I say gently caress Blender. No studios use Blender. Learn Maya or Max, it'll look a lot better on a resume.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Carfax Report posted:

Life at Team Bondi http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1179020p1.html Thought this was interesting enough to pass on here.

This McNamara dickhead is everything that is wrong with the games industry.

Also a very strong argument for never working for a company where the founder is involved in day to day operations, like a wannabe "auteur."

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Black Eagle posted:

At the studio level, founders are almost always involved in day-to-day operations. If you're going to avoid working with any of them because of one man, or allegations about one man, I suppose the doors are perpetually open at EA and Activision.

I'm not talking out my rear end - I've never been in a situation where this was good.

I don't generally work at places like EA and Activision, and I know founders are involved, but being the "ideas guy" is a non-starter, even when it's your company. It can easily lead to poo poo like what happened at Bondi.

EDIT: It seems we're in agreement, but poo poo like that makes me really angry.

Backov fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 27, 2011

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
We are hiring at Jagex!

We're looking for a Lead for the tools department, and some senior developers. The core skill we're looking for is Java, so if you're a corporate IT hotshot that wants to get into gaming, we're interested. If you're a downsized server-side Java guy on the games side, we're interested. If you're a server-side C++ programmer, we even might have work for you.

Since I'm not sure how hard Jagex's spam filter sucks, email me here. I'll pass your CV along: gooniegoons@tamedtornado.com

To be clear, we want experienced people who are willing to live in Cambridge, UK. I'm not sure about all the HR poo poo, but we may be willing to go the extra mile with visas and such for a good non-EU candidate.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Does that guy who wears the furry tail and dog collar still work there? Or is that you? :colbert:

I have not yet spotted said fellow, and sadly it's not me.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
If any gameplay or AI programmers with some experience under their belt are looking for work, we're looking for some good people at Jagex. No Java experience necessary for this role. This is a full time position in Cambridge, UK and you shouldn't need a visa to work in the EU, as that's a huge pain in the rear end.

Email: gooniegoons@tamedtornado.com

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Kitten Kisses posted:

Interesting. Every position I've ever applied for has explicitly asked for a cover letter along with resume and portfolio. From junior positions to senior, the bigger companies to indie places, all have wanted one.

That's an HR requirement. When I'm screening resumes (as a lead engineer), the cover letter is basically pointless fluff.

Most of the time it's either omitted, useless, or has been written by the candidates agent.

You may find that there's lots of things HR does that isn't so practically useful.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Tell me what to do.

My father is on his death bed half way around the world and I can't concentrate on my work.

You have one father. You'll have many jobs. Go see him.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Can we please get off the PC sperging about women in games and talk about game jobs instead?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
I'm hearing some rumors of Codemasters and EA studio closures in the UK. Anyone know?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Diplomaticus posted:

Did you sign an NDA?

Most employment contracts have them built in.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

whatspeakyou posted:

Perhaps I'm pipe dreaming, but I'm curious how folks get their foot in the door on the network level of MMOs and online-based games in general. Most of the time I tend to see "requires experience in MMO-driven environment" which I can understand due to the specific nature of the system setup, but where's the entry level on such jobs? I've got about 5 years experience as a Network Admin/Engineer under high stress situations (was tactical comm for the USAF for 2 of those years) but I haven't a clue how anything translates to the online gaming field considering I've never been in on the ground level to see how it all actually works.

Depends what you want to do. Are you a developer, or are you wanting to be a sysadmin type?

Personally I am hiring MMO engineers, and I don't give a gently caress if you have MMO experience. It's all about attitude, intelligence and skill set. For instance, for us we would love to hire Java engineers with a lot of experience in J2EE scalability, which is just about the opposite of your standard game development setup.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

devilmouse posted:

My heart is potentially going out to you if you're using Darkstar or Coherence or any of the other unfortunate MMO-esque middleware in Java.

This company was doing Java based MMOs 10 years ago. We don't do middleware. :)

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

devilmouse posted:

*thinks* *thinks harder* You work on RuneScape, don't you?!

Yes, and Transformers and Stellar Dawn (both as yet unreleased).

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

floofyscorp posted:

Dude I am right here I read this thread every day you know :I

(Also I have no idea who Backov is, who are you dude? Oh god what if it's someone I see every day)

I am lead of game engine infrastructure.

When I started work at Jagex, I had to get IT to remove SA from their web filters "Adult, Nude, Offensive" category so I could read my offensive posts every day. :smug:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

You seem to have made a lot of assumptions here, I've not been trying "the same thing", I've done all I can to develop and have cast the net wide in the hopes of just getting something to get moving again.

The fact is I'm badly depressed, two prozac a day, though I'm not convinced it helps. That coupled with experience that prevents me equating hard work and reward makes it very difficult to build momentum on my own projects. I interviewed for a role with a games startup working in HTML5 and Javascript, which I had not doing seriously before. The interview and job were interesting, so on my own initiative I spent the next day putting together Asteroids clone in HTML5 and sent it to him, hoping that would show how fast I could pick stuff up and to just try and go that extra mile. It was great having goals and purpose again. But he still didn't think I could learn the skills fast enough. Given he invited me to interview knowing my prior experience, he must have thought it could be possible for me to be the candidate he picked, so what more could I have done to my ability to pick up the skills?

I don't think it's out of line to say I deserve better, than I shouldn't have been made redundant with so little to my name, that my career shouldn't have been damaged the way it was by my last job. I worked long and hard in QA and was repeatedly and constantly overlooked for promotion, even to the compliance role I was already doing. A QA application turns into a job offer of Build Engineer, something dressed as an opportunity, but which in the end results in all routes to other parts of the organisation being barred, and being repeatedly denied promised wage reviews and kept at a low QA wage. Meanwhile a guy does a few months of QA and becomes an associate producer, to be paid much more than me to do much less. I saved the company hundreds of man hours, and I get canned and find myself where I am today.

Please, if nothing else, understand why I am as I am.

For what it's worth, HTML5/JS dev is really valuable in the UK. A friend who worked with me at Crytek, with roughly 1/3rd of my experience was getting offered around 600pound/day contract rate from some game companies.

He took a job with a financial services company instead. :)

What is it you do again? If you're a build engineer, we're desperately looking for one of those.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
I also need someone to come round my house and do some draught proofing. I won't pay you, but think of the exposure! I'll give you full credit of course.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Diplomaticus posted:

2) It's not that there is no financial compensation whatsoever. They get an equity stake, and will therefore make a portion of money when some actually starts being made.

This means free. You wouldn't ask your tradesman to work for free, why do you ask desperate artists? If you want that art, pay them. If you have a day job, take it out of your own pocket. If you don't, take it out of your savings. If you don't have either of those, you're SOL.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Diplomaticus posted:

No. It doesn't. By your definition, Counter-strike would have never been made.

Sure, your team is the next counterstrike.

To any artists considering this: Spend time on your portfolio instead. Working for free is dumb. Even starving indies can afford to pay you if your work is decent.

This is speaking as senior game dev and a former indie.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
There's a simple resolution to your problem Diplomaticus - pay your artist.

Now, hear me out.

Your project could be the next CS you say. Great. So that equity is super valuable. Since you have a day job, just pay the artist(s) out of your pocket and take the equity you're going to give them. You'll be investing in this super sure thing of a project, and getting rich on your returns.

Hope that helps.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Aliginge posted:

^
That would help things a lot over here, as there are an awful lot of extremely capable students (as well as the numerous wasters) that can't get a look in because there are so few jobs all round. We were going to have one of those Canadian-style tax breaks for the games industry before the general election swept the tories into power and they quickly destroyed that.

So the tax break would be the first thing I'd ask for as more companies appearing and more jobs being created would ease the ultra-competitiveness that is keeping so many talented and capable grads out of jobs. More Government incentives to encourage employers to take on graduates would also be a good thing.

You could always do what the Canadian govt does (to cars) and slap massive tariffs on things that aren't produced in country. :)

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

lavhoes posted:

Question for you hiring managers and other job-decision-making-types:

How favorably or unfavorably do you view someone who doesn't currently live in the city or even the state in which you're located?

I ask because I'm all the way out in Georgia, but without a lease or other permanent residence and with all my stuff already packed up, so I'm extremely mobile, willing and able to move pretty much wherever. If it is an issue, that I don't live where the jobs are (or, I'd be passed up for candidates who are more local), how can I convey that I'm way less of an investment to get moved out to the job location than most other folks in my situation?

Put it in your cover letter.

That said, for the right candidate it doesn't really matter where you are. If you're junior, ya - they may not be willing to pay relocation. Hell, sometimes even if you're fairly senior.

But you might be surprised.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

lavhoes posted:

What would be a good way to phrase it? Everything I come up with sounds too desperate and pleading. Need more "I'm a great candidate because I could be moved out there in two weeks" and less "I can move! Please hire me! I'll do anything!"

I'm currently looking for challenging work/a rewarding position/synonym/etc all over (X)(the world, northern Florida, etc) and can relocate on short notice for the right opportunity.

Qualify it. Put your worth (felt or not) into the statements you make in a resume. Don't brag, but never self-deprecate.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
I have no comments about LDRs or BBQ.

However, I may have a job.

Note: This is for a personal hobby project of mine, and thus has nothing to do with my employer and no real budget to speak of.

I need a game designer, one that works cheap. My hobby project is an online RPG, extremely small scoped at first. I have the general overview worked out, but I need someone to come in and flesh out systems, and keep the scope small and the game fun.

This should be someone who needs some experience, as while I can pay you, it won't be much as it's basically coming out of my beer money.

This is an old school RPG design at heart, with some new stuff and I'd be glad to discuss it. Hit me up at sagoons@tamedtornado.com and we'll chat via email and/or Skype.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

You're looking for this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2711122

No, not really. I'm looking to hire.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Shalinor posted:

He is at least offering money - that's better than the usual.

Still, you're going to be looking at Jr's mostly, Backov, and the other thread attracts more folks at the jr/hobbyist level than this one. I'd at least post the question in both.

Fair enough, I'll get over there as well.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Waterbed posted:

Backov, that email is not working for me :)

Doh! Sorted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

The Kins posted:

[url=http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/16/war-zynga-sues-the-hell-out-of-brazilian-clone-vostu/]
Apparently what's good for the goose isn't good for the gander.

That is quite hilarious coming from Zynga.