Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

miscellaneous14 posted:

That's the one really jarring thing about moving from a food service job to one in the games industry, that you're shifting from an environment of "DO WORK CONSTANTLY ALL THE TIME OR YOU'RE hosed", to one of "eh, just give good results and you can chill most of the time".

It'll be even more jarring to see content played at E3 that I've already been doing over and over again. :v:

I'm pretty sure you got those mixed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

No I refuse to believe that other people aren't also working 80 to 90 hours a week for months on end for zero overtime pay because if they aren't then what did I just throw away my health and :suicide:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Chasiubao posted:

No I refuse to believe that other people aren't also working 80 to 90 hours a week for months on end for zero overtime pay because if they aren't then what did I just throw away my health and :suicide:

Full disclosure: This is not actually something that happened to me as I'm not in that part of the industry any more ;)

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Shalinor posted:

No, the horrible secret is where the catered food on crunch nights comes from.

It's prison food in takeout boxes. :ssh:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Vodvillain posted:

I moved out to Vancouver to get closer to more Canadian offices, so if anyone local knows of any opportunities, please share.

I'm not in Vancouver any more, but what I hear out of there is that with all the layoffs and studio closures there, it's tough trying to break in against all the experienced people losing their jobs. Sorry :(

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Edit: Too harsh. Never mind.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

LINQ is the greatest language feature I have used in C#.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

-A n i m 8- posted:

It's good stuff man. Is that a Blizzard test you open with?

Creepy stalker time: post your alias!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

-A n i m 8- posted:

I'm starting in two months!

But all the interns have started already what makes you so special :mad:

I'm just jealous I didn't get an intern I hate having to get my own :coffee:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

-A n i m 8- posted:

Haha, naah I'm too old to be an intern, had to go for a senior position ;)

For some reason I thought you had gotten an internship, not a senior spot. My bad :) Even more congratulations then!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Console Parade posted:

It feels weird to put modding experience on my resume for a non-industry programming position, but I refactored 750 scripts and ended up with 150 and drat if I'm not proud of it :colbert:

Use it to talk about optimization and how you went about it, etc. Good talking point and example for an interview :)

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I remember several years ago at EA, I went downstairs to talk to the receptionist. But she couldn't chat because she was on the phone with some guy who had bought the Sims used, and was furious that the CD key was either used or not in the box (can't recall). He'd just looked up EA in the phonebook or something and called our receptionist (EA Sports != Maxis). It was so surreal. Apparently he threatened to call the cops on us.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Good response.

There is sticking to your guns artistically, but there is also understanding that if you're an artist making characters for a gritty space marine shooter drama, and you are tasked with making Gritter Shooter Man Dramatic Dude, that it really needs to be gritty space marine drama-esque and fit the style defined by the director - instead of making a pony that shoots rainbows out of its rear end.

... or you could go work for THQ, where you can stick to the style AND make a pony that shoots rainbows out of its rear end. That works too.

You have a blue star does that mean you can change the thread title at a whim?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Solus posted:

Seeing this thread has inspired me to choose between art or programming.

Not sure what art discipline I'd go after.

Work on a small project to experience both and then decide :)

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Odddzy posted:

Crosspost from the 3D CG thread in CC.

Might tweak a few things but I was getting ready to call this one done. Crits and comments quite welcome!

Edit : 7000 Triangles, Spec, normal and diffuse.

Programmer chiming in here: Why does the gun . . . handle? grip? look so smooth? Is that a reflection of the real world weapon or an aesthetic choice? Cause to me it looks a bit plastic-y, but if that's authentic then hey, told you I was a programmer ;)

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Male Man posted:

Right away, the grips look kinda funny. The rear grip should have a bumpy texture akin to a basketball along the sides and back, and the VFG looks too long and thin. What did you use as a reference?

There's one nit-picky thing that has nothing to do with your technical work: the selector switch is for a semi-auto (presumably this is supposed to be full-auto HK416). No one will notice this (or care!) except hopeless nerds, though.

And one more thing that's not wrong by any means, but you might want to consider: some people like to mount their optics so that the lens covers flip down, keeping them out of the way. You've got more than enough space on the model to do that, and, if this is for an FPS, it would open up a little more screen space.

I'm slightly terrified that you know exactly what gun it is (please don't shoot me :ohdear:) But then I'm a hopeless Canadian who knows next to nothing about guns :canada:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Monster w21 Faces posted:

No, game tester does not.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Oh I know. Trust me I know.

We all have to start somewhere ;) I started in QA as test engineer for a summer before I moved up to dev.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

So, if the past couple of years are any indication, games that go from subscription to F2P didn't have enough subscriptions to sustain themselves.

Let me be clear I'm not casting any aspersions on anyone's work or the quality of their game: But I'm curious, what's the motivation for going F2P? It's fine if you say, "Not telling!" :v:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Makes sense. Thanks for the educations :)

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

mutata posted:

What about Animation/Russian Language double-majors? :(

Russia's got a development scene. I hope you like getting paid in rubles or Putin-bucks or whatever it is they use right now :v:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

What?

Interview loops :eng101:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Amrosorma posted:

This looks awesome for UI mockups.

Speaking of which, does anyone know where I can kidnap a Scaleform/UDK wizard? :allears:

Stake out your local Train2Game :downs:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Alterian posted:

Has anyone heard of this "Game Boss" show?

It fills me with rage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb5ev2Dp4I0

:psyduck:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Which is worse, that one or Sony's QA 'reality' show?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

djkillingspree, what was the reasoning behind the multiplayer design that is purely drop-in, with zero persistence for the second player?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Shalinor posted:

This is why we keep saying "portfolio." That's your previous experience in cases like this. You have to make games on your own to get into making games professionally. There are no excuses to get around this - if you can't operate something like Stencyl or Unity? I'm sorry, but almost every single tool you'll be expected to use in the industry is more complicated and less user-friendly than that.

To that end: Lurking Haro, I can't help but wonder if you wouldn't be having a less odd time of it if you actually had said portfolio.

You could be like me and be the rear end in a top hat who writes the terribly user-unfriendly internal tools because Hey I'm a programmer not a designer what do you want from me it works doesn't it? :v:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I missed the post that inspired the new thread title, but yay dev!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Shalinor posted:

It's one of the reasons I'm going to miss physical products. This, right here. You walk down to some massive brick and mortar store, your game is there sitting on the shelf, you buy it, rip it open, check the manual, and... there, right there, is your name :3:

XBLA/PSN/Steam is cool, but it just isn't the same, credits-wise. You never have a thing you can hold and give to relatives, etc.

Sure there is. Just get some 5x5's printed and hand those out :v:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I still have an EA Sports hoodie that I wear but it's more of a "Oh it's cold outside I'll grab something on my way out the door."

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

So are there any audio guys in this thread? Like, at all?

Hi. Dev side though, tools and pipelines and runtimes, not the actual audio art stuff :(

Shalinor, I know a dev there if your email is posted somewhere I can put you in touch. Erm, they are the Infamous guys, right?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Alterian posted:

...and had me help with art. ;-*

And they lived happily ever after :3:

Hey guys I have an idea for a game...

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

to all the industry hopefuls reading this thread:

Do not be this woman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNgjecJY76g&feature=channel_video_title

No Flash on a Windows Phone. Is that the Valve please hire me girl that's making the rounds?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Diplomaticus posted:

Game Jobs Megathread #3: No, working at Gamestop is NOT "in the industry."

(though I seem to recall that either this was a thread title in the past, or we just used that line a lot.)

I think it was in the first post of an older thread, in a :frogout: kind of way.

Chasiubao fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 28, 2011

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I've never heard of a non-engineer being called a developer. Artists might be on the game team, but I've never heard of them describing themselves as developers. Certainly never heard of CMs calling themselves devs. To me dev means developer means software developer means engineer.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

Guys lets all take a moment to remember different studios have different needs, titles, etc, and that we all make/want to make games.

Now let's all touch dicks and cuddle, ok?

unrelated question for Artists:

What portfolios have you seen lately that wowed/intrigued you both in function and content? I am looking to finally get a portfolio back online and I'm looking for a good portfolio layout and style to shamelessly steal.

I'm a giant loving fan of https://www.peperaart.com but don't seem to spend enough time any more looking at portfolios to really see something that I like.

My current portfolio (not really current, it's 4+ years old) is offline at the moment so I can't link it, but the layout sucked because it took too many clicks to see a specific image and the images were small, although it did present a lot of organized information.

Didn't like that link solely because loading the page brought FireFox to its knees.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

Guys lets all take a moment to remember different studios have different needs, titles, etc, and that we all make/want to make games.

Now let's all touch dicks and cuddle, ok?

A wonderful example of our male-dominated industry (Game Stop included!) :pseudo:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

ceebee posted:

Sorry I have to go back to this. What the gently caress is a "game team"? I've never heard that before and I'm an artist :colbert:

Centralized tech team of software engineers that produces re-usable core libraries for say, NHL, FIFA, and NBA. Not a game team, but they are developers.

Centralized art team composed of artists and TAs, creating assets and models for NHL, FIFA, and NBA. Not a game team, not developers, but they are artists.

Specific team of engineers and artists working on implementing game-specific AI, graphics, audio, and gameplay for a particular title. Game team, the former are developers, the latter are not.

In the world I came from, developer was equivalent to engineer. It's not better than artist, it's just a different title. Artists and developers can comprise a game team, but you wouldn't hear the artists calling themselves developers.

Chasiubao fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 29, 2011

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Aliginge posted:

Welp. I start on Monday at my new job as a Junior Artist.

Goodbye Middlesbrough! :byewhore:

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Imajus posted:

Speaking of projects I can now talk about what I'm working on, the new Ghost Recon game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS8ogo6PRfQ

Here is one of the maps I've done quite a bit of work for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li3BangyZDI&feature=related

Looking forward to this. Haven't played a GR since Island Thunder :shobon: