Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

I always get confused as to what is and isn't offices down that side of Dundee. I didn't realise that Seabraes was an office building until I started my internship there, and now I find out Vision is offices too!

Just goes to show how much attention I've paid to Dundee in the last five years I guess.

EDIT:

Category Fun! posted:

This is a long shot, but do you know anything about what's happening at Abertay? I applied for GDPM there and I still haven't received a response to my application. Apparently there's still trouble with the Principal and Vice Principal being suspended, and all kinds of senate hearings and lawsuits flying around. I even heard a rumour at one point that they were going to shut down their games courses or merge them with Dundee College. Have you heard anything about that?

The games courses aren't going anywhere, they're still getting funding from the Government for the "Centre for Excellence" or whatever the hell it's called. The Principal and VP stuff made no impact whatsoever on day-to-day stuff at the uni either. You should hear soon about applications (given that hand-ins are just finishing), but I'd recommend trying to follow up on it. I'll see if I can find out if there's someone you can email about that.

(For context, just finished my honours year at Abertay.)

SnafuAl fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I say put all the money in games courses. It's not like there aren't a bunch of other unis in the surrounding area.

Hear hear!

I may be slightly biased of course.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Another Playground applicant here, for an entry-level programming post.

Still waiting on hearing back from companies, so I'm just learning Unity in my spare time. Anything else I should learn that'd be worthwhile?

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Shindragon posted:

Hi I'm wondering if someone could answer my question. Is XNA a viable platform to work on with 2D sprites? Or will it more difficult?

XNA works fine with 2D sprites. Pretty sure most of the functionality you need to use sprites is built-in. Either that or I programmed that functionality whilst pissed, because I don't remember it.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Akuma posted:

We've got two new guys coming in for a trial week on Monday. Finally, someone that seems capable! I won't name any names (because they'd have done it by now if they wanted to, I figure) but they both came from this thread. :)

From a while back, but I was one of the two new guys, and I start full-time next month. Cheers, Akuma! Time to start looking for flats in/around Leamington! (And despairing at how much more expensive they are than Dundee.)

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

A well deserved congrats to all the Abertay grads!

Cheers muchly!

Still wondering why the flautist from Jethro Tull was getting an honorary degree from Abertay.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Do they have teachers that cover social media outlets or does that just come under marketing? :ohdear:

Pretty sure that experience with games marketing and social media would allow you to teach parts of the Game Design and Production Management course at Abertay, going by what I've seen of it (which admittedly only extends as far as working alongside folk studying it on projects, and sharing one module on the state of the industry).

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Aliginge posted:

As of today I am now officially the sole artist at DNA Dynamics. :toot:

And no part of the job involves 3d at all. Yay for 2D iOs games i guess. :v:

Nice! When do you start full-time?

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

I'll see you then.

And now, back to packing for moving this weekend.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

FreakyZoid posted:

Leamington is lovely but about 10x more expensive to live in than Boro.

Yeah, it's a lot more expensive than I'm used to too, coming from Dundee. There's some good flats around fairly cheap if you look about though. Even cheaper if you go for a flatshare. I'm seeing a place this weekend that's about the same as what my flat was costing up north.

Flats aside, I'm just plain curious as to what I'm going to be working on. Guess I'll find out Monday.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Akuma posted:

Had the first prelim design meeting for the next project I'm leading today. Very excited about it! But need to temper that excitement because I'm not done with my current project yet. But it's so close I can taste it! Might be getting previewed in the media next week.

Our new starters are working like champs. I wasn't sure if it was cruel or kind to throw them onto their own solo games from day one, but they're definitely swimming and not sinking so I guess it was a good thing!

That is a pretty sweet looking project, even at this stage (assuming it's the one I think it is).

Also, hooray, I'm doing something right, apparently.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Aliginge posted:

Welp. I start on Monday at my new job as a Junior Artist.

Goodbye Middlesbrough! :byewhore:

Yes... Join us...

That makes what, 3 goons in one office now? Is that some kind of record?

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Aliginge posted:

Shoes are always off.

That explains the smell around the office then.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Akuma posted:

I should totally play the latest build of Warheads.

Edit in case it's not clear: this post contains hyperbole and jokes.

This better not be one of those jokes, guy.

Especially now that it has a (badly written) tutorial level that I spent most of today on.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

FreakyZoid posted:

I know two people who graduated this year and got jobs - one programmer and one audio guy.

I know two programmers who graduated this year and got jobs. One if I don't count myself.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Aliginge posted:

DNA

-No crunch. Higher ups all have families.

:c00lbert:

I do wonder if I can convince akuma to convince management to pay for a airsoft day team-building exercise. :v:

EDIT: And a ball pit. I want a ball pit. :sigh:

Also, there's fruit. When anyone can be bothered to get it. So usually there's biscuits instead.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Aliginge posted:

University in the past few years here in the UK has gone from completely and totally free not a long time ago to £1k a year when I first started, then £3k a year, now it's £9k a year. We British are hurtling headlong towards the American student debt situation and it's entirely on purpose.

Maybe for you buggers south of the border, my university education cost me only living expenses for four years. :scotland:

Now if only I could actually put it to use.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

The roof of our entire studio is a giant sky light. Summer is hell after 2pm.

Aren't you in Dundee? Summer only lasts for two days, man up.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Never mind.

SnafuAl fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 24, 2012

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Love the fact you've stuck your own review on there.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Aliginge posted:

Thanks, but Akuma and his wife were the real brains behind the best bits of the project

I think they might still have my copy of the films and all. :argh:

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Akuma posted:

Holy poo poo, they're on my shelf! PM me your address and I'll send them over! Sorry, dude.

Will do, no hurry.

Akuma posted:

So we'll have him grab the lady, yeah? And slam her up against the wall! And then he'll touch her up at gunpoint. Violent molestations are funny, right? Right? I know I'm aroused.

Yeah, I remember you telling me about that one. Was this the same guy who had a complete aversion to any pun-based name gags like the ones the first Naked Gun film and the Police Squad series did so well? I seem to recall a lot of the funny one-liners being stripped out by his revisions.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

It is very rare that I would flat out tell someone to steer clear of a studio but I have heard NOTHING but horror stories out of TAG.

Really? I had no problems when I was there, what sort of thing have you heard?

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

That Farley keeps wages incredibly low by making people feel like they're going to lose their job at any moment

I didn't see any of that when I was there, but then that was a couple years ago, and I wasn't there long.

and hiring completely inexperienced people straight out of the Uni so they don't know how much they should be getting paid.

This however I can't dispute. Seems like most of their staff are fresh out the door of Abertay.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Sion posted:

You have to learn Latin for them to register the command though.

Authentic era-appropriate Latin too, none of this modern academia bollocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Aliginge posted:

Bringing this back to actual Jobs rather than devs shooting the poo poo, I just found this and thought I'd forward it on to the goony UK coder types around here, like SnafuAl who should totes apply for these guys.

http://www.neonplay.com/we-are-hiring-for-programmers-server-android.html

Cheers for the heads up.

I think I actually interviewed with them before, but may as well apply again.