Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The hardest part of getting a job often is just getting to talk to someone, so sure, take the call, and then say "hey I don't want this job, I want that job". It's worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I literally can't remember but the first videogame I remember playing was a janky Commodore 64 port of Donkey Kong. I remember being really confused when other versions of the game I saw didn't have the pie factory level.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Akuma posted:

TooMuchAbstraction they don't all have the pie factory level??

The NES one sure doesn't! It has the zigzag ladder section, then the level with elevators, then the one where you remove rivets, then it repeats.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Do keep in mind that just because you're working in games does not mean that you're working to make the games that you like. You might be doing a soulless movie tie-in, or working to make lootboxes more lucrative, or maybe even making military training simulators.

If you want artistic integrity, you work in indie games, where you might spend two years on a project and get back 10% of your direct costs.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Chernabog posted:

That's true, but just because it is not your kind of game doesn't mean it can't be rewarding. I worked on a Farmville-like game which isn't something I'd ever play but it was still pretty fun to make. And yeah, work is work but there are definitely levels of engagement.

Oh sure. I just wanted to remind folks that "working in games" is not equivalent to "working on your favorite game(s)". Sometimes (and I'm not saying that necessarily happened here) people forget that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

devilmouse posted:

I have what I suspect many people would consider the perfect games job: I co-founded a company that's been trucking along for 8.5 years now. For the past few months, a non-trivial portion of my job is literally "ideas guy" who just spends the day writing up and pitching insane things. I'm paid well and love my job.

But there are some days where I would take a 50% pay cut to do ANYTHING ELSE because oh god is it draining. No matter how much I love this line of work, at the end of the day it's still very much work with all that that entails.

Congratulations on making it! But yeah, having to make decisions is exhausting. I think the real dream job is basically what you do, except that there's someone else who can pick up the slack if you decide to knock off early today, tomorrow, or the entire next month. :v:

I've been doing the entrepreneurial thing for my game. I'm at nearly two years of full-time development, have most of another year left to go before it's done, and haven't seen a cent of income yet. I'm incredibly fortunate to be able to do this, but my god the requirements to pivot a career to indie are high. And so are the risks. It's entirely possible that I'll launch this thing and get like 500 sales (enough to make back maybe 15% of my direct costs, let alone my cost of living, opportunity cost of living, etc.) and that's it!

Chainclaw posted:

Some of my favorite games to work on were in genres or styles of games I wouldn't normally play (character action games). I also have zero interest in working on games I like to play (RPGs).

Also, licensed games can be a lot of fun to work on with the appropriate license. When I worked on a Wolverine game, Marvel sent us a ton of digital Wolverine comics, so during preproduction I got to spend a lot of time just reading Wolverine comics.

Good point. There are also some surprisingly good licensed games out there. Hell, there's a lot of every kind of game out there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

more falafel please posted:

I did a port of a PC MMO to console. Initially, they didn't want us to change the UI at all.

Did they at any point realize that nobody would want to play their MMO on console if it meant putting up with that kind of UI?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

leper khan posted:

Every time people talk about console dev, I just think, "that sounds almost as bad as the nonsense in mobile"

All gamedev is nonsense, each of us is just inured to our own little portion of hell

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Nice, congrats!

And on the topic of GDC, apparently your personal address, phone number, etc are all visible to anyone who you have accepted a meeting invite or DM with. You can blank them out here, but note that it'll then re-populate them unless you fill in the fields with dummy info.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I live locally, which makes attending GDC easy, but makes attending the nightlife trickier (gotta be home for dinner). It was still good to catch up with friends in the gardens. I bought the indie summit pass, which was a waste of money; next year it's expo pass or nothing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Also be aware that there's a big difference between making a web game for fun and releasing it for free, vs making it as part of a business plan. It changes the work and it changes how you think about the work. The publisher will set milestones (a.k.a. deadlines) that you have to hit to get paid.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've spoken with a lot of publishers who also offer a lot of outsourcing, so if you need help with some specific part of the development process, they know someone that can help. Just remember that the publisher is here to make money. I wouldn't go into this with the expectation that you yourself (or rather, that your friend the developer) will make a significant amount of money. About the best you can realistically hope for is that you'll be paid for the time you spent working on making the game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
There's always someone hoping to start the next big crypto scam.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

xgalaxy posted:

Anyone have recommendations for Unreal Engine learning resources: paid or unpaid primarily focused on software engineering?
I'm aware of the official Unreal learning website.

I bought the Tom Looman course years ago and was going through that last week and I was underwhelmed.. lets just say.

https://ughiguessiwanttomovefromunitytounreal.com/
https://landelare.github.io/2023/01/07/cpp-speedrun.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
For the record, I asked my legal team about moving my LLC from CA to PA, and there's a term for it: "domestication". Not all states support it (and I think they may be picky about where the company comes from?), but it sounded pretty straightforward if you know what to do. Just file some forms, pay a fee, and that's it.

IANAL, TINLA, but I think that as long as you don't have existing relationships with other companies through the old LLC, there's no harm in what you did. I wouldn't want to do it because Steam sends my LLC money, for example.

(Also; I'm looking forward to paying $70 every ten years for my LLC, instead of loving $800 every year!)