Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

mp5 posted:

I'll offer my two cents on the subject. I feel like it's important to establish the distinction between different types of QA, and maybe this will allow me to give back to a thread that has helped me pretty significantly in getting to where I am.

Developer QA is where it's at. I started there, as noted in my "how I got into the industry" post, which is not linked in the OP. I'd link it but I don't have archives access.

Put it in the OP plz, I am needy for recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Uh, who here gave me the email for the hiring manager at Bethesda? Someone gave it to me when I was unemployed but then I went back to school and I seem to have misplaced it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Anyone looking for a designer? I'm on my second major round of applications and I'm getting some interest but not enough/fast enough to make me worry less about my rapidly vanishing cash reserves.

Just put my resume and portfolio up on google docs:

Resume: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Byxz1J_Ky5aJSmRWSGtRZUlUbEtwZHdLdVZTTzF4UQ
Portfolio: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Byxz1J_Ky5aJUzZkX2RlMGZRVEc4OFVWcFNpQnprZw

I'm really good at game design please hire me. <--- is this sufficient for a cover letter? Maybe that's my problem.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Frown Town posted:

We're also dog friendly.

Obsidian was briefly cat friendly. I had rescued a tiny little kitten from the parking lot after working late one night- little guy had a broken leg. Not only did Chris Avellone reimburse me for the substantial emergency room visit, he said that the cat could live at the office while it got better. Eventually one of our programmers adopted him.

Sorry for no pictures. I will see if anyone else has any.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Comrade Flynn posted:

Do people generally list salaries on their resume now?

I've heard people say yes, always do that, and others who say never to do it. I usually err on the side of extra information. Plus, since my previous salary at obsidian was below industry standard, maybe potential employers will see that and think I'm a bargain (I am).

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

FreakyZoid posted:

Your portfolio text seems to be really out of date, when did you last refresh it?

oh poo poo, wrong version, I hope I didn't send this to anyone.

I'm making a sandwich and I'll fix it when I'm done

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
The image compression stuff is google docs messing with it. It doesn't look like that when I submit it. But you are right, I need a website.

What font would you suggest?

I like the idea about video links and I'm putting that into the portfolio now.

Converting a portion of my resume into a 1 page professional history only. Question though: does the length really matter? I've had hiring directors in this industry and others say that 2-pages is still considered totally acceptable, but lots of people (not hiring people, as far as I know) tell me to get that puppy down to 1 page or face the wrath of god. I'm just concerned that the 1 page rule is some piece of ancient knowledge passed down since the time of the pharoes that actually isn't that important anymore. And as I consider most of the information on the resume to be relevant (as do many of the people I've had edit it) I'm reluctant to cut parts out to make it smaller.

EDIT: And yes, the portfolio is awful and I need to start from scratch on it. I'm not nearly as down on the resume as you guys, though. Salary info is definately coming out, though, you made a good arguments.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 3, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Sigma-X posted:

e: if that is out of date then definitely fix it :) Also another awkward bit is I had to put together a chronology myself by looking at your education and projects, it looks like you went from AP to back to school while working on an RPG in the spare time and graduated in 2011 with your BA? Make that easier to follow - putting all the dates on one page will make it easier to follow.

Technically I haven't' graduated yet, so I have to be careful to not use that word. I've "completed me coursework" but until I clear up an administrative problem (not serious, but time consuming) I can't actually get my diploma.

Anyway, yes, I have earned my BA while also working on my pen& paper game. I try to make that clear in the opening paragraph of the cover letter, but having it in the resume is better. Does anyone read cover letters?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

mutata posted:

I have never heard that anything more than 1 page is acceptable, nor have I ever heard that listing your salary is ok. I don't know who is telling you these evil things.

Two hiring managers in the industry have both said two pages is fine, and one HR lady (who does application screening) says it's expected in her field (medicine).

I don't know who said the salary thing, maybe I had a fever dream. Either way, it's out.

edit: here is the correct version of the portfolio. It's academic because I agree that it's garbage and needs to be totally redone from scratch.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Byxz1J_Ky5aJNU94dTR4WHhTM1N1YkxZb1NoTmVBUQ

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 3, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/571/1/

"Consider a two-page résumé if you are above entry-level positions, but below the executive level."

on the other hand:

"Always ask a company if they accept two-page résumés before sending one"

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Salary history is gone.

"full employment history" will only go on the long form CV style resume

I may be able to get it down to one page with some formatting, but I'm already below my font/pt size budget (rolling at 8-9 pt font)

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Shalinor posted:

Yes, and if you were applying as a generic office dude at a bank, that generic resume advice might actually apply. Every industry is different, and creative industries, doubly so.

For instance: I bet that page doesn't stress the importance of a portfolio. Does that mean you should drop it from your application emails? ;)

That's true, but at the same time I have actual irl hiring directors who handle resumes for exactly the jobs I'm looking for tell me two pages is fine.

I'm erring on the side of caution and trying to bring it down to one, though. Columns actually only help a tiny tiny amount. I'm trying to not drop the font size down below 10, but I think it's going to have to go back down anyway.

I can remove the references (no one in this industry ever calls them anyway) but that still only gets me a half inch.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
You guys convinced me, I'm working on it. I will reiterate though, that absolutely no one I know who actually does this for a living gives half a poo poo. I've been on the other side of that table before and page count never once meant anything.

But you are right that it will look better if I can cut out any fat. I've finished the easy cuts, now I have to get clever. Or hire someone else to be clever.

^^^In the above case, page count would matter.^^^

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

djkillingspree posted:

also I work at blizzard now bro!

I know, I just updated that. What's your title now?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
vindication

actually no, vindication would be getting a job :(

edit: For any potential employers looking at this, keep in mind that while I may be pretty bad at *getting* a job, this in no way changes the fact that I'm awesome at *doing* my job.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 3, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

mutata posted:

Flex your design muscles or get 3rd party design help. There are some resume design threads in Creative Convention and there's a guy or two in SA Mart who help do this kinda stuff.

http://worthdayley.com/worth-dayley-resume-2012.pdf

You can actually fit a lot of info on one page, and it forces you to get to the point. Even my resume is pretty wordy, actually, I could probably stand to streamline some more.

I didn't want to say anything, considering how bad mine was, but if I got this from a designer I'd find it a little off-putting. For any designer who isn't also an artist (like a UI designer or something) this level of graphical polish a little strange.

For an artist, I have no idea. I know a bad portfolio will get your app tossed in the trash, but like djkillingspree said, I don't think design portfolios are that important anyway. I've only had one job where I was required to submit video from my levels, and that company is pretty notorious for having weird hiring practices.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 3, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

This is a little irrational but ellipses irritate the hell out of me. They make me feel like you're unsure of whatever point you're trying to make or whatever you're trying to do. That said, I'd probably change your headings and titles colors to match your name and your graphics.

Dude I made a complete rear end of myself infront of a classroom full of students and in this thread, and still got hired at a company full of lurking goons.

Yeah I only got my first job at Obsidian because of djkillingspree, so goons are best.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

mutata posted:

Oh, I get it. Yes, I see your points. I was more commenting on the organization of information to fit it in a compact but readable format than claiming you need fancy icons or whatever. I do that poo poo because graphic design is my hobby, and I think it doesn't hurt, not because I think it's necessary.

The organization of information, though, allows me to fit more information into a more compact format, that's all.

I think I'm going to take out a few lines in each job, drop the least notable "dark age" and put stuff in columns and it shoudl all fit on one or one + references

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Kunzelman posted:

Comte, I am sure you are the coolest person, but I eternally curse your name if you designed the Museum level in Alpha Protocol.

soz

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Sigma-X posted:

I hope you don't feel this is overstepping a boundary, but I took a crack at getting this down to a 1-page. I removed what I felt was unnecessary info, tightened up some phrasing, played with formatting, etc.

This is awesome, taking a lot from this if you don't mind.

Will start throwing up some stuff on a wordpress for my portfolio soon.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Be aggressive.

I have trod this path, that way lies nothing but misery and sorrow.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Mega Shark posted:

Just a heads up for those without Game Industry experience that we're looking for a Junior IT Support person and a Junior Producer.

For the Junior Producer we're looking for someone who is interested in Production and likes games but isn't a Designer or Artist in disguise that just wants an in so they can change departments. You should be a naturally organized person that wants to work at a game company.

This is for Ready at Dawn Studios, if you're not caught up on the thread we're making an original IP AAA 3rd Person Action Adventure for a Next-generation home console.

PM me or e-mail me at patrick@readyatdawn.com

Hello, person who is also named Patrick.

Do you know Charlie Staples? I think he used to work there.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Can anyone post a wordpress version of a portfolio? Mine is coming along alright (I'm mostly gathering media to post) but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for layout. I'm good at a lot of things, but web layout isn't one of them.

Here's the (mostly blank) page as it is right now.

http://pkernaghan.wordpress.com/

Right now I'm trying to get the header image to display the text but without the little box it wants to put around it, but I don't think I can actually do that with this theme/not being "pro".

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Frown Town posted:

Cash money is the best money.
But only because I am endlessly confused by stocks/stock options/units and would rather just have liquid assets that my brain can parse.

Max your 401K. This is a no-brainer.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

cgeq posted:

Unless you work at a fly by night in which case said 401k may be raided.

point

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
You should do that, the continued punishment we level against people who are unfortunate to get caught up in our hosed up justice system is heinous.

On that note, does anyone know of any gamedevs who drug test? I've never worked a job (game or otherwise) that made me pee in a cup, but I'm under the impression it's pretty common

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

BizarroAzrael posted:

I know of someone who got sacked for being on drugs. Wasn't so much from testing as his spilling weed all over the toilets we shared with another bunch of offices and just leaving it.

He left it???? What kind of pothead just spills weed and then leaves it? I mean, I know it's a bathroom and all, but...

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Got up early this morning for an overseas telephone interview, couldn't figure out why they were late, usually those things happen on.the.dot. Double checked the schedule, it's in two weeks.

Pays to pay attention.

I'm going back to bed.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Crytek passed on me, so there's still a level design position open there if anyone is looking. The Frankfurt position.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Waterbed posted:

I got you beat by a while. I'm also probably potentially very qualified.

I heard waiting on Blizzard takes a while.

Good luck though :)

I've got you both beat but considering Blizzard's hiring reputation none of us will hear anything for another 9 months.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Has anyone heard anything from CD Projeckt RED? They told me they'd get back to me in two weeks but it's been two weeks and the job posting is still up. Thinking of reapplying since I'm so obviously awesomely qualified- maybe they just didn't like my cover letter.

I don't get this job hunting thing, obviously. I'm a really good designer, why won't anyone even give me an interview? I've only had two phone interviews in six months of hunting, one for Cryptic, which I flubbed badly, and another fro Crytek I knocked out of the park. Sadly on the second one they wanted someone for a senior position and they didn't think I had enough LD experience.

EDIT: In a month I get out of training at my non-industry job and will actually have to do real work- I need out of here fast.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Shindragon posted:

It's a bitch to get into the industry. Welcome to the game industry. :v: Also might want to apply for positions that might be in your reach. Having the whole my art/design is awesome is the right attitude/wrong attitude. It makes you look confident, but it also makes you look like a cocky pompous rear end.

Gotta start in a small company first. Or, Network.

Network. NETWORK. Did I say that enough times? Gotta build a network, best way to get more leverage is getting to know people. The industry likes to act like a little clique and would rather have someone familiar/ someone they know to be hired.

You mean, get back into. I've got experience and also networking- but obviously I did a poo poo job of it. Only one of my friends has sent me a job referral (they did not reply).

edit: josh sawyer says I'm a good designer with qualifications not just on paper but also irl. everyone loves josh, so hire me

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 14, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Shindragon posted:

Oh getting back into? Eesh. Yeah, much harder. It's easier said then done, but were are you located at, you could try going to GDC or game developer companies to spread out the networks.

Also haha yeah I wish it was that easy. Hell technically I know like half the people at SCEA, doesn't mean I'll get hired.

I probably had like 12 interviews in the span of a year.

I'm in texas right now, willing to relocate anywhere. The conferences are difficult/impossible for me to attend because I'm out of money and the job I'm starting next week offers no time off (texas is a right to work state so I have almost no labor rights at all).

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Nah, my resume is good. I'm limited by what I can do with the free version of wordpress, which is why that one looks terrible.

I deleted the google docs one, I wasn't sending anyone there anyway but best to avoid any confusion. Here's a copy of what I have now.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Byxz1J_Ky5aJT2Qzd3JtMXZVRG8

edit: Thanks for the ready at dawn tip. It looks like they are looking for someone with a couple years more experience but I'll apply anyway. Tomorrow, right now I'm painting Orks in confederate army colors. (Is that racist?)

To claify the experience thing, I have the right number of years, but it's 3 years systems and only 1 year LD. Makes it a harder to get either job by having done both.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 16, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Kunzelman posted:

I think you should take the criticism of your resume seriously. The top half is particularly difficult to read; aesthetically, it isn't great. I think a standard two columns at the top would be way better than your current design, which looks like you're trying to cram as much poo poo as possible onto one sheet of paper. Aesthetics rule the world, and any additional steps between your information and the person making a decision about that information should be eliminated to the best of your ability.

We had this conversation 20 pages ago and this was the one that came out of that. Last time you guys told me to cram everything into one page. I suspect that none of you have a loving clue how to make a resume either.

So it's not that I don't take criticism seriously, I just don't really take all of you seriously. None of you can agree on what makes a good resume except that mine isn't*.

*it's not just me either, the only guy to put his money where is mouth was last time this subject came up (in an effort to chastise me for having a terrible resume) got told his was terrible too.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Shalinor posted:

Attacking people for suggesting that the resume still isn't right and could use some work isn't a useful response.

Yes, getting it down to one page is important. That doesn't mean you take all the crap that used to be on 2 pages and shove it into one - it means you cut the content down to the important part. That is the point of the exercise. It forces you to throw away the chaff of the resume, leaving only the immediately important bits.

That is why the one-page resume suggestion is a good one. Not because reviewers magically hate 2 pages, but because most people have a lot of crap on their resumes that they could stand to lose. Less is more.

I'm not really trying to bash anyone for criticism. I welcome it. 20 pages ago people liked this one, now it's terrible for exactly the reasons people liked it a month ago. It's a little frustrating, I think you'd agree.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: That said, I wouldn't call your resume terrible as-is, it's just way too busy. My eyes kind of get lost in all of the detail. You could stand to reduce the content, and organize it less haphazardly. If I go in trying to answer the question "what is this guy's professional experience", I'm going to kind of get pulled aside by your skills, and then there's this other section at the bottom, is that professional experience too? No, that's mods, oh I see it's just that one quadrant... etc.

This is helpful.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

NINbuntu 64 posted:

"I don't take any of you seriously" and "none of you have any loving clue how to do a resume" is bashing people.

Sorry, sometimes I forget that these are not the same forums they used to be. That's not a value judgement, just a different dialectic.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Diplomaticus posted:

Seriously, regardless of the resume itself, I wouldn't hire you based on your reaction to the criticism. Saying "Oh I don't need to, I already did the changes" implies a lack of capability to identify common sense design flaws in your resume. The fact that you just crammed everything all in, instead of taking things one step further and using the responses from here as critical analysis in improving your resume is worrying; then followed with the response "but I did what you said!" implies lack of critical thinking. Saying we don't have a clue how to do one is stupid, makes you look petty. Then trying to cover it up by saying "Oh I'm not bashing, the forums just aren't the same" implies a problem accepting responsibility.

I think you are reading too much into it. I badly misjudged the tone of the thread and overreacted to someone who told me to "take seriously" criticism they didn't seem to understand had been directed at my previous resume- not the one I said was "alright".

I think you can see how it might be frustrating to post a terrible resume, get a lot of people (rightfully) calling it god-awful, then revise it only to have a wise-rear end say "why didn't you revise it? This still sucks."

Regardless, you know as well as I do that a few forum posts on SA are a pretty poor way to judge someone's character. That's just rude.

Finally, while some people have offered some good advice I'll be using to improve my resume, I don't think anyone here really knows how to make a great resume. It's a vague sort of science and hugely subjective. No one should be expected to take vague aesthetic judgments really seriously.

edit: Not to say that no one here knows how to make a good resume. I got a lot of good advice and even a mock-up (that I copied) last time around and some good suggestions this time as well. I don't think "great" resumes exist, is all.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I got another design test, it's been a few months since the last one, so I'm excited. Only problem is that it's in sort of broken english (the studio in question has only been using english as the office language for the last year or so) and the test, as it is written, implies... well, uh, I think they want me to send them an executable.

I'm applying for a content designer position.

And, not that I can't program something, or even that I couldn't program something in 5 days (the time limit) but doing so and meeting the other requirements of the test... maybe they want me to interpret things esoterically?

I asked for clarification though, and I think I'm working on something they will like/appreciate. Even then I'm still having to take time off work to get it done, this is pretty easily the most difficult and time consuming design test I've ever seen.