Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

What do Interviewers Look For??
Last year I wrote this based on some of the things I do and don't like seeing in design interviewees.

http://www.mainlyaboutgames.co.uk/2010/06/tips-for-game-design-interviews/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Category Fun! posted:

Apparently there's still trouble with the Principal and Vice Principal being suspended, and all kinds of senate hearings and lawsuits flying around.
Yeah, that was interesting. All the rumours I heard were that they were taking funding intended for other places, and funnelling it towards the games course because that was the place's USP and shining star.

I think to say it had no effect on the day to day running would be naive, there must be people who now have more on their plate than they otherwise would have had.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Better to find out where the office is, then work out where the nearby bars and places to grab lunch from are, then hang out at those places. You'll spot the game devs, they'll be wearing their industry uniform.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Alterian posted:

What? T-shirts with the name of the company and games they've worked on or from software they use? :v:
Exactly. I could never wear those to work - something about wearing the same t-shirt as 20 other people in the room makes me feel a little too "fast food worker".

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

This latest outburst actually made me look at the Train2Game website for a bit to see what they were up to these days.

They're doing a QA degree. Dear God.

Oh, also all of their stuff is apparently TIGA awarded now, which seems well dodgy to me, given that they're supposed to be representing the games industry.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Amrosorma posted:

http://www.theaveragegamer.com/2011/06/24/friday-feature-you-dont-want-to-work-in-the-games-industry/

I'm surprised the author does not mention Train2Game :cry:

Eurgh. I am not a fan of that article. Working in a big studio won't give you the time to learn, but working in an indie will? Eh? Indies have just as much pressure to perform, moreso if it's one that you set up and borrowed the money for yourself.

I've never heard a single person ever say "oh sure, once I set up my company I just sat around all day doing whatever. Could barely fill an 8 hour day with things to do."

But hey, I guess his HUGE amount of experience at a number of different companies gives him great perspective.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I heard Criterion had quite a high rate of turnover during the Burnout Revenge days, so you're probably fine - whoever's interviewing you is probably from Paradise / NFS: Hot Pursuit.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Monster w21 Faces posted:

What is happening to the UK!
Big expensive studios with high fixed overheads are closing and being replaced by more smaller and agile teams.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I got bored somewhere around "it's a 2d metroidvania fighting game with ninjas". Nothing about your design excites me as a designer. You gloss over the potentially interesting bit of the non-linear world, and spend pages listing controls and weapons and nine different types of health pickup.

You have stuff like "A shapeshifting fox, try to trick the player and then attack." How does it try and trick the player? What does it shapeshift in to? "A powerful youkai" what's a 'youkai' and what does this mean for the design? "An obake hopping around on one foot" tells me literally nothing about the design of this enemy (such as how they attack and what makes them different from the other enemies), all I know is art are going to make it hop.

And "target platforms are everything that has DD" but then you don't say anything about platform-specific design. Are you expecting to put exactly the same game on PC and DS? Are there any DS-specific controls you're going to do? What's going to be on each screen?

Oh and you have B button doing jump and also "Attack with Side weapon / Use Item".

Plus what that last poster said about the easily caught typos (missing spaces etc).

As a design document it's short and missing a huge amount of design. As a pitch document it goes into unnecessary details and doesn't sell the USPs to me.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Amrosorma posted:

since Zynga is actually bringing some money in
$850 million in revenue is a fuckton more than the "we have a lot of users, and some advertising space, but no real income yet" that fuelled the dotcom silliness.

My concern if I was Zynga would be how to become independent of Facebook without losing our paying customers.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Fl0yd posted:

Don't put crates in rooms that are bigger than any of the door into that room.
Ha, I've seen plenty of shipped games that have that particular oversight in them.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Some self-pimping for a Sunday. gently caress it, why not?

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/going-mobile

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Solus posted:

tl:dr = Protips on game design entry path over the next 2-3 years I'm at University studying my Anthropology/Geography degree?
You know there's a section in the first post with the heading "Q: I want to be a designer, how do I become a designer"? You should read that, because it applies to you.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Mango Polo posted:

Gameloft is absolutely awesome disgusting when it comes to game design recruitment.
Since you'll just be cloning someone else's game I wonder why they ask design questions at all. I can see why the ability to recreate animation and camera movement rules would be useful for them, though.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

In my experience tech artists are programming shaders, writing simple plug-ins for Max / Maya, and doing visual fx programming - particles etc.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Then when they acquired The Climax Group (Renamed Black Rock)
Minor correction - they acquired Climax Racing, not all of Climax's studios. Climax Portsmouth is still going.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Bert Wednesdays http://blog.bertwednesdays.com/Site/Welcome.html

For pricing, I think you can charge different amounts depending on your game. For example, I know of a 4X space game that I found incomprehensible, but apparently makes the author decent cash because it's pretty much the only decent one on iOS. If you're going to make a match 3 game you need ridiculous polish and / or brand recognition to allow you to sell at that price.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

MustardFacial posted:

At work however, it doesn't matter at all and I'll wear that poo poo like it's going out of style (in many cases it did decades ago :v:)
I wouldn't wear company t's at work - too many people wearing the same stuff starts to feel a little bit "would you like fries with that?"

Some places do seem to spend some effort in making nice designs though. It's the ones that are just the box art that I don't like.

I used to work with a guy who wore a company t to a bar. At the time one of the company's games had just been banned, and in the same week some other, completely unrelated, five year old game by a totally different co. had been found to contain a video clip related to a famous murder case in the UK. Anyway, some random woman comes up to him in the bar and starts shouting about how he's making child killing simulators and whatnot.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Aliginge posted:

Speaking of moving, I spent the last seven years at and after uni in Middlesbrough. And now I get to move to Leamington Spa :v:
Leamington is lovely but about 10x more expensive to live in than Boro.

Shalinor posted:

"oh you know, like a week of QA,"
Would set my alarm bells ringing.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Monster w21 Faces posted:

In the last 3 days I've been offered to interview for a position with Ubisoft in Paris and one for a company I won't name in London that's offering me 40k.
Take the interviews? Nothing might come of them, and if it does you can talk about it then. At least you'd still be in the same time zone, and within a few hours travel of each other.

Spuckuk posted:

Anyone need an tech/artist for mobile/iOS. gently caress it, at this stage I might have to go back to testing, my portfolio is asssss, despite* years of working on big licenses.
I'm guessing you've been around all the places that have just risen from Black Rock's ashes? They all seem to be doing iOS stuff.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Roundcube and ShortRound. Might be too small to be hiring yet, but it can't hurt to fire off emails.

Relentless also have jobs going according to their site, and have just put out a new iPhone game.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

How is that kid on the IGDA mailing list? How as a game developer am I going to find that kind of unfiltered noise useful?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

There's an interview somewhere with the guy who does that, it's a really interesting read.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Vino posted:

I just put in an application at Rockstar San Diego. If anybody has the ear of the HR people there I'd really appreciate a recommendation.
How would that work? "Hey Sarah, if you see an application from Vino from the Something Awful forums you should definitely look in to it".

Which job did you apply for?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Super Slash posted:

Also not the most outstanding one, but I've come to the conclusion that my portfolio blows dicks (http://lee-hodges.co.uk/).
You're not wrong.

I clicked the sandtrapped link and was told about the story and where in Halflife 2 the mod takes place. There was nothing at all about the level design. Which I thought was pretty odd for a level design portfolio.

Also there's some fullbright map in there somewhere. Never show that.

quote:

In short; "Skill Atoms" are the process of how a player learns to control a video game, and to express this the level was built to accommodate the control systems a beginner player would be comfortable with, as well as the advanced maneuvers an advanced player would use
I don't understand this either - it was built for beginners and pros? I would go in to more detail about some of the atoms you're talking about, as well as screenshots of specific bits of map designed to use them.

I looked at some of the UT stuff and there's more description of process there, but it's all "we thought this", "we wanted to do that". Which may well be the case, that everything was a group decision. But I'm not hiring your whole class, so I don't care. Tell me exactly what you contributed to the whole. Tell me your decisions, show me your work.

I don't think you're a bad level designer; but it's impossible to tell, because the screenshots and videos I saw weren't hugely impressive visually, and you don't talk about the thoughts that go in to your design process at all. That's why you're not getting interviews - there are neither words nor pictures that tell me how good you are.

FreakyZoid fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 29, 2011

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Akuma posted:

How is that not a loss?
The idea is that without the money recovered from trading in their last purchase, people wouldn't be able to afford to buy as many brand new games on day 1.

Other people suggest that there's a class of "2nd hand" gamers who will never buy new, but who would if that was the only option available to them.

As far as I know there have never been any hard figures produced to prove or disprove either theory though. You'd need to survey people leaving shops and find out what they did buy, or why they didn't buy, and what they traded in etc.

(Oh and also the idea that if someone plays, say, Assassin's Creed 2nd hand and enjoy it, they may turn in to a day 1 customer of the sequels, or you may get DLC purchases etc. from them.)

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Black Eagle posted:

I want to switch gears a bit and ask why. Why do you want to apply a very narrow definition to "video game industry"?
Because this is a thread about people talking about their jobs as game developers, or trying to get jobs as game developers.

Sure, it could be a more general purpose thread where Gamestop employees bitch and moan about their dumb customers as well. But it isn't that thread.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

BizarroAzrael posted:

Another good suggestion: don't make games people will want to trade in within days of release.
I agree with you, I'm just saying that those are the arguments for used sales being healthy for the games industry.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Project 10$ / Online pass etc. isn't meant to have an effect on Gamestop, it's just an attempt to see some money from 2nd hand sales. That players end up paying more is down to Gamestop not lowering their 2nd hand prices for games - that's really between them and the customer.

I've got no problem with it, I think it's pretty healthy and I haven't heard anyone outside of gamer internet forums complain about it.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Monochrome posted:

I'm not sure how you get from 'We implemented this pricing structure which results in consumers paying more than if they bought the game new' to 'It's Gamestop's fault for not lowering their prices in response'.
2nd hand games now have $10 less value in them. Why is Gamestop still selling them as if that value is still there?

Also I don't think I've seen any DLC that's been "buy new or pay $10 to be able to beat the end boss", that's just a crazy straw man.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Monochrome posted:

Why did you reduce the value of the game?
Why not? I've only reduced the value of a 2nd hand copy. Why not complain to Gamestop that they're selling a 2nd hand copy as if it's worth $10 more than it is? Everything beyond selling the stock to Gamestop is up to the retailer.

Monochrome posted:

I didn't post anything that even remotely claimed this exists.
I know, I'm just munging posts together to avoid filling up the thread.

Shalinor posted:

Online Passes in online-focused shooters are effectively this - you can't play the core of the game without the DLC.
Or buying new.

Shalinor posted:

It isn't much of a straw man. Companies willing to lock out online in that way are likely going to try locking out single-player content as well, eventually, and it will be just as dirty.

It's also an ugly foot in the door toward "$10 online pass DLC... online pass good for 1 year."
Ah okay, you're going for a slippery slope instead?

Shalinor posted:

Kotick's already stated he wishes he could push shooters into a subscription model.
Why would this be bad? There are many games that exist on subscription models.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Must admit I don't find LinkedIn particularly useful. I've never seen a decent conversation in any of the groups (just endless "as game professionals, what is your favourite colour?" type crap). And I've seen plenty of recommendations of people who I know are insufferable tools (and / or borderline incompetent with destructive and negative personalities) from their co-workers :)

Yet still I keep my profile up to date. Why is this?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

"I'd take weeks, we'd have to re-write the entire file structure"

Or block the player from manual saving while an auto-save is happening, which would take about half an hour.

Also not sure what the problem is with that class d/suggestion that the level isn't red enough. That's what suggestions are for. Close it, move on. Probably took long to hit reply and type it here.

About 50% of all the "omg the QA here r so dum" stories I hear are developers being whiny bitches.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Vino posted:

After a lot of thought I've decided that if I've made it this far then they're not testing me technically anymore - they already know they can do the job and they want to see what kind of person I am.
No, they're wanting to see if your CV is bullshit before they pay to fly you out for an on-site interview. So expect questions about your CV and probably some light programming questions.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Project Oni posted:

I wonder if I can still reference my Dark Souls work even though I won't be credited.
Of course you can. Anyone who believes a game's credits are a full list of people who worked on that game is, unfortunately, an idiot.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

I don't know that anyone outside of Blizzard would be able to pull that off :D
Valve.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Also don't rely on XBLIG as your business plan, because outside of a few breakaway successes hardly anybody seems to make any money on it.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

hailthefish posted:

Yeah, poo poo like this is never attractive or professional-looking, if you ask me:
Definitely, I refuse to work with programmers who look like that. I assume that their code will be as slapdash as their facial grooming regime.

(This is a joke, by the way. I think you all must work in very different game studios to the ones I've worked in. And if someone's interviewing you and turns you down because you're wearing the wrong type of shirt - well you probably got a lucky break because that person sounds like a mental, power-hungry, oval office to work underneath, who has a bizarre set of values about what is and what isn't important in a games programmer.)

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

GetWellGamers posted:

it's a privilege earned by having passed the interview.
Maybe this is it. Being given a job offer isn't a privilege, it's an acceptance that your skillset matches the company's requirements, and both parties think they'll be able to get on. A face to face interview isn't a one way street, and I wouldn't turn down a job offer just because the guys sat on the other side of the table were all wearing shorts, or had "unprofessional" facial / neck hair.

If you're conducting interviews with the mindset that these plebs would be lucky if you judged them worthy of a job with you then yes, you are a power hungry oval office, and I'm glad to not work under you. Your company isn't as good as you think it is, you should be trying to sell the idea of working there to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Jagermaestro posted:

Let's assume you have one job opening and two candidates that have a similar skill-set and similar experience. Both interviews go extremely well. One hasn't shaved in a week and is wearing a wrinkled t-shirt, the other is cleanly shaven and has a collar. Who do you think gets the job?
Ah yes, the famous hypothetical slob / tidy twins. I've yet to meet them in person.