Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

DancingMachine posted:

So, ArenaNet is hiring for some positions that sound like they might be interesting. But they want a code sample with 2500 lines of C++ that demonstrates your best work. And they are listing the position as "Senior". This strikes me as misguided. A "Senior" programmer is not likely to have 2500 lines of code they're really proud of sitting around that they can or want to give to you. Unless they are unemployed and having trouble finding work, then they will take the time to write something. But do you really want to limit your pool of applicants like that?

I find I am too busy/lazy to do much side-project coding at home these days. But when I do, it's not generally in C++. And then in the unlikely event that I have a big chunk of C++ code that I'm really proud of and that I legally own, it's probably part of my awesome game that I'm going to release eventually and I probably don't feel comfortable just sending it to a random game studio for "evaluation".

:corsair:

Definitely going to be applying to ArenaNet as soon as I'm done with my portfolio/reel. Would love to work over there, have a friend there so hopefully they can give me some suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah I use both as well but prefer Marmoset. I'm always running into issues with certain areas of my models with UDK whether it's how it renders my mirrored UV seams etc, but I never have those issues with Marmoset. Also to customize UDK's post process effects, lighting, shadows, depth of field, cubemaps, etc all at once is a pain in the rear end compared to Marmoset.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
My resume is garbage :[

All my experience is retail/call center. I tried to find a mod team but 99% of the time I would be like "hey cool I'll join!" and nothing gets done with the team at all so after working on a model for them they just end up dissolving and my work never gets recognized and eventually the mod site disappears. At least that's been my experience 2-3 years ago.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Graduation is in exactly a month. Classes end this week. I'm so fuckin' nervous/anxious, I need a job pretty much ASAP. The hunt starts now.

Speaking of, anybody know of any studios looking for a 3d artist? :downs:

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Just got my first freelance gig. As soon as I picked the first one up another person contacted me about freelance. WOOHOO!

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I am officially in the games industry now as a freelance artist. AW YEAHHH.

I am so excited, I just hope I can keep it up and keep getting paid.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Alterian posted:

Gnomon is pretty expensive for not getting an actual diploma. You could look for a place locally, or try to learn some on your own to decide if you really like it. Don't drop a lot of money before you know its something you want to do.

I don't think it matters if you get a diploma or not. Sure it gives you more options outside the field you want to work in but is that really what you want to resort to?

I'm done with school at Gnomon and a few days away from my graduation ceremony. If somebody is truely passionate about film VFX I'd recommend they go there because you will meet people and make connections better than any other school I've heard of. However, if you want to be a game artist I can't particularly recommend it for that specifically, the 2 year program will give you all the 3D knowledge that you'll possibly need for VFX. The 3 year program (poo poo gets expensive quick) will give you a good foundation in 2D and 3D, we have some really great traditional instructors here, not many people believe that but the instructors come from instructing at Art Center or are Art Center graduates so you're basically getting an art center education at a fraction of the price.

For becoming a game artist I have to say the best possible route is to either go to a place like FuturePoly or RydanWorkshop alongside getting DVDs from places like Eat3D and 3DMotive. If the two aforementioned schools were around before Gnomon I probably would've went to those instead. My school trained me to be a 3d artist for movies/commercial work with some game art classes scattered here and there, but ultimately my knowledge from video tutorials, Polycount forums, etc is what made me a good game artist.

I agree about trying stuff on your own to see if you like it. We've had a few people drop out because they couldn't handle it (or were just straight up lazy). This industry pretty much hates slackers so if you plan on going into 3D just because you think it might be fun you might want to try it out and see if you can handle it (and if you go to school whether you can handle 6 classes each with 8-12 hours of homework a week for each class) AND on top of that work in your own time and develop your skills/portfolio outside of classes/homework.

This poo poo ain't all fun and games, you better be prepared to work your rear end off if you want to be good.

Demitri Omni posted:

I'm not really great at art, I've not tried much 3d modeling but I've not usually been able to get my head around it on my own. I've done a good amount of scripting and level design, but never finished anything since I'm not great at planning on my own. I feel like the only reason I'm NOT learning things is because those around me just plain don't give a poo poo about it. I actually have been talking to a friend from Digipen, and he was telling me that I would probably be a good fit for a BSGD, but it's pretty difficult and not a lot of people make it through that process. He actually complimented me, saying I tend to be modest enough that it would probably work out well for me.

My biggest problem is just not having a good point of reference for this stuff, since most everyone around me doesn't give a poo poo. Kinda lost without direction, if that makes sense.

Don't make excuses, there are plenty of resources and websites out there for you to learn on your own without school if you can't afford it or can't move to where there are good schools. If you aren't good at planning then try to get better at it, don't just say "welp I suck at this so im not gonna do it". I used to suck at sculpting anatomy but I didn't just say gently caress it I'mma just roll with the punches and try to be a character artist without it. I studied my rear end off, practiced almost every day, and just stuck with it. If you can't find the passion for it on your own then you'll probably just end up loving around at a school (I've seen it happen).

ceebee fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 28, 2011

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

endlosnull posted:

So Bungie finally officially announced Bungie Aerospace http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=bungie_aerospace, their project to partner with smaller indie companies and their first partnership with Harebrained Schemes. I am currently a Tools Engineer/Programmer at Harebrained Schemes. We're a startup with really just a handful of people so this is huge for us. Being a startup with little to no funding is pretty scary so getting a partnership with Bungie is a really big step to getting noticed and getting our game out there. Woo :toot:

drat dude that is awesome! I'm really glad publishers/larger companies are helping fund indie projects. I'm sure there's profit to be made by them doing that, but I hope they allow you guys for the most part full creative control over what you're making. :D

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Use the pencil tool instead of the brush. At least thats how I do it. Also I think if you drop the DPI down from 72 you can get more pixelated results. I still have yet to figure out a way to fix the rotation/scale things besides changing in the Preferences to Nearest Neighbor (still looks like turds though :/)

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Awesome dude. I had the opportunity to apply for a Vigil character artist temp job but I just can't afford the move to Texas at this point :/

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Finished my first freelance gig for ~the games industry~, so I'm official a game artist right? I'm also looking for a full time gig here around the LA area, hoping I find something soon :)

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Did you read the OP at all?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Finished my reel for graduation ceremony tomorrow. If my school didn't require it I probably would've focused more on finishing my portfolio site but...here it is!

https://vimeo.com/26437892

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I would kill to work at Irrational. It's like 15 minutes from all my family and it'd be an excuse to get out of LA.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Ditto, I been bugging my friend who does character art over there to let me know when there are openings :P

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Post your work.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Spectral Debt posted:

Keep in mind that I am a more "traditional Artist" than anything else. I'm working on transitioning to become more design and computer oriented for a more realistic career choice. Any words of advice and criticism is extremely valuable.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50200624@N06/

Yeah your work looks like a lot of my friends who came to Gnomon specifically to learn how to cater their skills to concept art for games/movies. I agree with Sigma-X, if you want to be a concept artist for games then practice what everybody else is doing. Where you stand now you're a bit behind in the digital medium but as long as you have your traditional foundations you'll be fine, it's just a matter of learning the tools which is pretty time consuming but it'll be worth it.

It's good that you acknowledged that if you want to work in games/movies you must adapt, a lot of people don't do this and think they can just jump into concept design and make a good living off of it coming from a fine arts background.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah that's why I never liked the fine art scene.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Chasiubao posted:

I've never heard of a non-engineer being called a developer. Artists might be on the game team, but I've never heard of them describing themselves as developers. Certainly never heard of CMs calling themselves devs. To me dev means developer means software developer means engineer.

Sorry I have to go back to this. What the gently caress is a "game team"? I've never heard that before and I'm an artist :colbert:

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Worst case scenario you can put your loans on forebearance/deferment if you're unemployed. But it is a good idea to get some part-time work and start paying at least interest on the loans.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
The world always needs more tools programmers that also distribute their awesome tools to us artists

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Riot said they were running out of desk space to take me on full time. I actually did some freelance for them too.

However I am being flown out to Redwood Shores for an interview with a company I'm quite excited about!!!! :D

Being a professional Character Artist, here I come (hopefully!) :D

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeh I did just get a job working for Trion Worlds as a character artist. AWYEHHH so excited!

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I wore black jeans, a tucked in button up, and a belt for my interview. And some black shoes (not sneakers)...although I'm pretty sure I got the job based on my art test not so much what I was wearing :P

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I had a beard during my interview. But I agree with whoever said it above me, if you're going to have a beard at lease carve it a bit and clean up the cheek/neck line for fucks sake or you're gonna look like a goddamn hobo or dirty goon. Also, if your beard is patchy don't even bother, we know you try but genes are a bitch sorry bros.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
First day at work at Trion Worlds was awesome. I have a good feeling I'm gonna love this job :D

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
At Trion we use a heavily modified version of Gamebryo on Rift, but it's pretty much a complete overhaul.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Another reason for game developers not to buy ATI hardware. As an artist it drives me loving nuts with the amount of graphical bugs I've encountered with my 4870 (and the lack of CUDA support for some 3d applications). Never again.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
The only way I'm ever leaving Trion and heading back to Boston is if I get a well paying job at Irrational. I just totally want to work on Bioshock Infinite :3

I used to work next door to Turbine at Lojack's call center, I even applied for a GM position there but some other dude got it. Glad I didn't get it because I probably wouldnt have made the decision to move to LA and end up here in the SF Bay at Trion.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
We got today off (our QA did too)

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Trion will be participating. We're having huuuge zone events and prizes and poo poo. Hope it all goes well and we raise some money for dem sick kids!

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Yeah you guys are destroying everyone else. Way to raise 24k for charity about it.

Almost 27k :cheers:

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

M4rk posted:

Thanks for the advice. I've been meaning to ask people for information about safe, affordable apartments around SF and Seattle, close to safe public transportation (buses in Jacksonville aren't safe) or with the ability to bike into downtown within a reasonable amount of time (an hour or less).

The caltrain from anywhere south of San Fran is a breeze to ride. I live in San Mateo and even though I havent been to San Fran yet I have ridden the Caltrain and it is pretty drat quick.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
:suspense: Oh snap Sigma he callin' you out. HE WILL FIND THE CGTEXTURE YOU USED ON A CERTAIN WEAPONoh wait everybody can use those without repercussions.

Black Eagle, some of your posts have been pretty interesting to read, but the name dropping has got to go (as previously stated). We get it, you're writing a book about big shot game developers and you have a vast belly full of insider info.

Sincerely,
[redacted] err... [redacted]...oh come on stupid self-censoring fingers.

In other news our marketing department just released this ridiculous video for Halloween. Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WBUCglnnCo

ceebee fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 29, 2011

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Black Eagle posted:

I run an association. I'm in the people business. I'm writing a book about people. Referencing your own chapters, which are named after the people they're about, is not name dropping. By the way, there are many other places I could go to talk about my book before it's out, but this is where I am. You've seen quotes from the book that nobody except my editors have seen. I'm sorry that I've been giving you exclusives. I'll stop.

I'm sure your intentions are good but how you do it makes you come off horribly vain when you do it here. So, please do stop. (Edit: or do it more casually)

ceebee fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 29, 2011

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
The most recent easter egg I saw was an artist working for Splash Damage put the Polycount logo on an object. Mad wuddups to all my fellow Polycountin' goons

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Oh yeh you can add me too. I'm at Trion Worlds - Redwood City as a Character Artist.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

M4rk posted:

Hey ceebee, you've probably worked with one of my favorite forum members. She's a concept artists at Trion, I think (or she was a year or two ago).

We don't currently have a female concept artist. I just got hired almost 2 months ago. However I think we're picking up a female concept artist, I forget her name but she's never worked for us before outside of freelancing.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
At my studio we're expected to do some 2D/paintovers/concepts as Character Artists. So really even if you want to be a character artist you should at least try to have some good 2D skills. It will also help your texturing a fuckload (if you also have to texture/shade your characters).

Our concept artists just grind out 2D stuff all day. None of them use 3D to help them along the way. Outside of Environments I don't see 3d concepting becoming mainstream, watching these guys "ideation" stuff in 2D is mindblowingly fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Modo is definitely pretty useful for rendered stuff. I don't know of anybody that uses it for games though. No 3D application is impossible, just need to look up tutorials and practice.