Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

Transform... for Justice!

Ice Blue posted:

Is this an overly common sentiment in people trying to get into the industry? As if coming up with ideas without putting actual work into implementing the idea is a job.

Give it time. It's going to start showing up in a couple pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

Vino posted:

Not that I'm really interested in BD, but what is "the W?"

A chain of hotels. The W near Moscone center is where a lot of networking happens during GDC.

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

GetWellGamers posted:

I know there's already a PAX thread, but it's being overrun with the dickwolves controversy, so I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a PAX Prime meetup/dinner like we do for GDC? Fun times can be had by all!

I'm definitively interested. A bit dependent on what my schedule is with the company's PAX booth though.

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

M4rk posted:

Which company? I'll drop by your booth. :)

Riot Games

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

We have 2 full time writers at Volition.

We also have several full time writers at Riot. These positions are out there, but far more rare than others.

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

NextTime000 posted:

Well this sure looks like the announcement my Riot contact gave me the heads-up about

This is nice for me in that now I have a better topic to E-mail him about next week, as well as a definite milestone for when he should be done with this crunch-time.

Yep, we're working hard on this :shobon:

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

If anyone's going to PAX, I'll be at the Riot booth at varying times so feel free to say hi. I have red and blue hair so I shouldn't be hard to find.

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

ExtraNoise posted:

PAX Dev went well in my eyes. It would have been nice if there were fewer students/non-industry in attendance (or more devs) but the speakers all did a great job with their presentations and the after-hours chats were fantastic.

This is good to hear. I tuned out of PAX-Dev after Google announced they were hosting a game jam there. One of my friends also had good things to say about it.

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

hailthefish posted:

And way more of this:

calling in Women Fighters in Reasonable Armor

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

You will want to learn LUA as well, as it's the most common scripting language for game/UI designers and I believe scaleform uses it as well (I am not very familiar with scaleform though, as we don't use it here. Our UI guys wish we did, though, as our homebrew tools don't handle 3d like it does)

I use Scaleform extensively at work, it plays flash movies in a C++ application. I've been really happy with it as it works pretty much as advertised. There have been some performance issues, but with 4.0 (and 4.1 coming out next month) it's not as big an issue if you know what you're doing.

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

NextTime000 posted:

I have been gunning for some form of UI programming position since I learned Scaleform existed (read: my first GDC; 2 years ago) and while I have been willing to relocate to California (the opposite coast) such a job I am unsure if I would want to relocate that far for my first, full-time, regular paycheck, job in-industry.

Tough life decisions like these come with the territory. If you want to break in, you need to be very flexible with where you are willing to move.

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

Why would anyone work in those conditions? Especially when it's a no-name startup like OMGPOP was at the time the video was taken?

Moving is expensive and time consuming. It affects every employee and there lots of things to consider - price, lunch/dinner options nearby, how does it affect long range commuters, etc. After you find a place, there's lead time to you moving in as the office has to be restructured so it fits your needs and not the previous tenants.

When I worked for a start up in an incubator center, it was a similar situation. We were waiting for our new office to be built out so that we could move, and it was cramped near the end. If omgpop was like that for a short while, that would not be unheard of. If it was like that for longer, it would be a problem.

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

treeboy posted:

spent 26 years growing up in DC (still working on growing up...) so i'm good with ice, frozen rain and occasional snow. That being said found a pretty awesome apartment complex with indoor parking...

The one joy I have in life is texting my upstate New York friends "Winter is coming" on the first day of summer.

There are a lot of beautiful outdoor areas not far from Albany (I used to live in Troy) like the Adirondacks but the winters can be brutal compared to D.C.

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

GeauxSteve posted:

Haven't checked in on this thread in a while. Anyone planning on going to PAX this year?

I was fortunate enough to get a pass during the few hours they were available so I'll be there.

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

treeboy posted:

I've never lived in NY before, but I'm a Northern VA native so I'm used to crappy winters (though not regular snow) so we'll see how it goes, I'm glad I have an AWD Subaru though!

I used to work at 1st Playable in Troy, NY. My one joy of the year is messaging friends still living there on the first day of summer, warning them that winter is coming.

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

Shalinor posted:

So, finally put together a trailer for the BlazeJam game. Could use some feedback:

(the goal being to drive some interest toward BlazeJam, and also for it to act as a kind of announce trailer for Jones)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9cBz2EAnc

EDIT: Also, it is definitely overly dark (the alpha itself is overly dark), and that first bit of info at the end is cluttered / it all flies by a bit too fast. This is what I know already, though I'm inclined to leave it as-is as an alpha/BlazeJam trailer and just do better on future trailers. Votes to the contrary, do tell.

I would recommend cutting the gameplay shown from a minute down to about 30 seconds . There was a lot of redundant gameplay shown, so I would try to make sure that each shot had interesting and/or different gameplay from the other shots.

I was getting distracted with the first screen shown because there are a lot of words on it. If it just contained the name of the game, I think it wouldn't be as distracting to me.

I recommend watching Trailer Blazing from GDC 2012. It gives best practices for creating game trailers for Indie Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

rndm posted:

Great news for Las Vegas goons:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/180765/TakeTwo_looking_to_open_new_Las_Vegas_office.php#.UJL-u8XR52A

I'm pretty excited about this happening here in Las Vegas. Now to find out what types of jobs will be available.

Take2 is shutting down their Los Angeles QA and moving it to Las Vegas.