Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Hey, I didn't realize this thread was here for some reason. I'm a senior programmer at a shop of about 150 in Chicago and Orlando (I'm in Chicago). We do mostly contract work, including a lot of ports to console, but some original stuff as well. I've done mostly network/systems/console platform integration stuff but we're all pretty much generalists so I've touched a bunch of other poo poo too. AMA I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I miss my coworkers, because I actually like most of them, and I miss being downtown and around people and stuff. I don't miss the commute, I have an alarm but don't need it anymore because I'm always up in plenty of time to "get to work". We had two offices and a number of remote workers, so the vidcon stuff hasn't really changed at all -- my standups were on Teams when i was in the office anyway. I just miss the social part of work (and everything else)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

xgalaxy posted:

I like working from home, but I’m lucky in that I have both an electric sit/stand desk and an aeron chair and a huge ultra wide monitor. Been working from home since late February.

I got my (manual) sit-stand riser and aeron-knockoff chair delivered when I had to get more devkits (there's 7 of them now) delivered. But my producer told me not to tell anyone else that I got my riser or chair, so I have to have it lowered whenever I'm on calls

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

cgeq posted:

That seems nuts. In Germany it doesn't seem to be a hassle to get a doctor's note that says you need a standing desk and then your office gets you one, but maybe I've just been in a good environment.

A lot of people in my office have them, but no one took them home for WFH. I had to get a bunch of devkits picked up from the office, so I asked if I could get my riser while they were at it.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Also, I would want to know how much of payroll is tied to one project at a given time. If most of the devs are on one project and it loses funding, they probably need to lay people off to keep the lights on. If no more than say, 1/3 is on one project, it's much easier to shuffle people around or sign short term work.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think this is their first time expanding beyond the founders and some contract artists. It sounds like they have investors, and I know they are well connected in the industry and established.

Edit; there's actually multiple projects of varying scale.

It's okay to ask how long they can survive without external income?

I mean, they're asking you to trust that they won't leave you high and dry.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I do the informal chat section of the interview, and stability comes up a lot. The anecdote I use is how last January one of our major projects lost its publisher suddenly, and the mood in the meeting was "dang, I hope we still get to make that. Well, back to work" because there was never the slightest bit of danger that we would have to lay people off. We ended up resigning that project with another publisher, but that was after 6 months. We kept a skeleton crew working on new content for it to tweak the pitch direction, and shuffled everyone else to paying projects. I wouldn't want to hitch my wagon to a company that I couldn't trust to still be working for in a year or two, especially if they're asking me to move to a new city.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The first video game I ever played was SMB1/Duck Hunt, followed closely by Jaws for NES, at a friends house, when I was like 5. I didn't really understand controllers, though, so "played" may be a strong term.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I skipped a page ahead but working in games is not worth working 60 hours. Crunch is literally killing you. It's a loving job, they're asking you to ruin yourself for bullshit you don't care about because you like Zelda. Don't do it. Better yet, organize your workplace.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Revitalized posted:

Does anyone work at Discord? Are they remote friendly?

The biggest problem working there is you can't change your handle, so you show up in work calls as XsackBlasterX420 all the time

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Backend services teams at big studios are almost always effectively separate from the game teams. I don't know much about Bungie specifically, but I'd expect that you'd be interviewing with folks who want to hear more about your backend experience than your game industry experience.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Studio posted:

Grats! Sucker :smug:

This got me thinking, I don't think I've ever gotten a Games Job offer through LinkedIn? Indeed, Orca (RIP), GamesJobs have gotten me offers, but I'm batting like 0 for LinkedIn.

You want mine? I get recruiters constantly, despite most of my LinkedIn being a warning to not send me messages about job postings.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Hughlander posted:

Yep, I was part of an early investigation of a PC to console port and when asked how to get it out by a certain date my only reply was, "Hire two full time UX designers 6 months ago."

I did a port of a PC MMO to console. Initially, they didn't want us to change the UI at all.

"Can't you just use the stick as a mouse?"
"Well, we also need to control movement and camera with the stick"
"Ok, well then just remap all the keybinds to controller buttons, problem solved"
"There's 16 buttons"
"Well, I'm sure you'll make it work. We need to maintain the experience across platforms"

We blew a year on it before they realized they were trying to make a console game.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Did they at any point realize that nobody would want to play their MMO on console if it meant putting up with that kind of UI?

Eventually. Their parent company wanted them to do the port, the devs didn't think they'd have many console players. It took until about a month after shipping when they had 3 times more active console players than PC players that they realized they were making a console game.

They also thought they could ship on console (PS4/X1) singlethreaded and 32-bit, so.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Hughlander posted:

Big one that gets people also often is "Hey there's a lot of UI, but we don't have the concept that X is 'UP' of Y"

Also "the player is going to be sitting ten feet away from the screen, that text is not legible" and "TVs don't actually show the whole framebuffer" and "it's actually really hard to make a virtual cursor that feels good"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Akuma posted:

Hey thread, about 15 years ago I posted in an earlier iteration of this thread that I got my first games job as a graduate programmer! My goal was to be Tech Director within 10 years, which I achieved just in time. Now I’m Studio Director of an award winning games studio yippeeeeee!

I don’t post much anymore but thanks for all the good times, folks :)

And maybe I’ll see some of you at GDC and have no idea that you’re people I’ve interacted with on SA.

I'll probably be at the Marriott Death Star on Tuesday. Find Dave Lang, he'll have bought as much Chimay as they're allowed to sell him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I actually didn't go to the Death Star at all until Friday night, but my GDC was good.

Ran into a producer who left my client a few months ago, within 5 minutes we had both tried to recruit each other.