Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Smegbot posted:

Started a new job today, this chap sits at the desk next to mine:

Could be worse.

Why yes, that was a vulture hovering around our soon-to-be-closed studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I make helpful changelists.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
When DAOC launched, our exec. producer insisted that we force everyone to use our wildly overdone profanity filter at all times. (He was special that way.)

We talked him out of it when it turned out that it was also working on item names. In our medieval fantasy game. Which had many bastard swords.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Pfft, you're telling me - this entire conversation started from "I've got a potential interview at an MMO company! Joy!"

Every MMO team takes bets on when the new guy's hopes, dreams and spirit are crushed into a pile of goo. This just started early!

Speaking of which, I'm learning an entirely new level of pain - working on a *crowdfunded* MMO.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Jan posted:

If it's the same crowdfunded MMO I'm thinking of, there's also the great fun of coordinating 4+ different studios working on it?

:suicide:

haha no, though I know a lot of the guys on it. I was hired as a designer by Richard Garriott 2 weeks after he gave an interview proclaiming that all designers not him sucked. Now I get to work for thousands of backers, all of whom want different things VERY PASSIONATELY and all of whom hate each other as only people on MMO forums can.