Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cornwind Evil posted:

While addressing certain things happening over in another manga, that being One Piece, I described the situation as 'sort of like the ending of Attack On Titan' (the manga) Though I suspect Oda will be considerably kinder in how that manga's plot went about addressing THAT.'

Which I then described as such, based on not wholly reading it but picking up bits and pieces along the way.

"Basically there's an ethnicity in the AOT world that is SO hated and despised beyond any point of reason that it seems like it's become imprinted in the human species at large's DNA and that they will NEVER be able to stop feeling murderous rancor towards these people...so the main character initiates an attempt to basically kill the entire world except that ethnicity. He almost succeeds. Then the last pages of the last chapter suggest that after hundreds of years have passed, it was pointless and humanity just rebuilt from the ashes and never stopped hating and are still trying to exterminate this ethnicity and the events that drove the series are about to be rediscovered and the whole thing will start over again with the world having not only learned nothing, but almost reacting with visceral contempt at the concept of learning anything."

I then said "If I'm full of poo poo, correct me.", someone said I was at least somewhere between 'extremely misleading by omission' and 'completely factually wrong', and then they said "Okay, this is the One Piece thread, move the discussion elsewhere'. So. Just how accurate is my assessment at large, not considering stuff like personal character arcs and all that, but more this general theme of 'Humanity cannot change, does not want to change, and when they've tasted the sweet, easy fruit of dehumanization, it will never stop and humans don't want it to' over the full plot revelations and the ending pages?

From a few days ago but I finally caught up and finished the AoT anime; planning on reading the manga to compare but from what I've read while there are differences the gist is the same.

So like Schwarzwald said, it's not an irrational and ingrained hatred, it is one that is specifically stoked with continual propaganda and nationalism. The Marleyans have a complex and fraught relationship with the Eldians: ostensibly they hate them for their past crimes but instead of simply wiping them out (and getting rid of the threat of Titans altogether) they need to maintain a population of Eldians under their thumb to cull Warrior candidates from for military purposes. They maintain the pretense that Paradis is out there waiting to strike at any time as a propaganda tool and recruit particularly nationalistic Eldians that they have effectively brainwashed to hate their own kind. We eventually find out that events that began the series were sold as a way to neutralize the threat of an invasion from Paradis, but in reality were a way to try and regain access to the Founding Titan in order to reaffirm their military might in the face of technological advancements. Likewise Eren's attempted genocide is in part due to the acknowledgement that even with control of the Founding Titan and several others, Marley and other nations will soon have the technology to just bomb them into extinction anyway.

The final manga pages are a bit more vague than the anime images and both are open to interpretation. What seems clear is that Mikasa at least continued to visit Eren's grave and seemingly was laid to rest there as well, possibly with members of her own/her friends family continuing to visit. The manga shows a significantly more modern city being bombed into ruins, while the anime gets super futuristic with it, implying in either case that hundreds if not thousands of years have passed. Most people have interpreted this like you have as the outside world finally coming to get their final revenge and wipe out the Eldians, but as pointed out there's alternate possibilities, including the militaristic core of the society established by the Yeagerists eating itself, or just a completely different war eventually coming to Paradis. I think the anime is explicitly trying to clarify this with the super futuristic scene, implying that while Paradis eventually did fall, the threat of the Titans was likely a distant memory at this point.

Finally, I agree with others that at least the circumstances of the boy at the end finding the tree give some reason to be hopeful or at least not completely nihilistic. The ending could have just stopped at the ruins of humanity after all, or it could have shown the same pattern repeating with an abused or hurt person fleeing into the tree to hide (thus implying the same kind of pain and revenge cycle that the Eldians originally went through). Instead it shows a human survivor exploring the area; since we know nothing of this boy's society we can't say that it will immediately devolve into warfare, the Titans could instead be used as tools to help rebuild humanity

Obviously a lot of this does factor in characterization BUT I think it is an important counterpoint to the idea that the hatred is embedded within human DNA or that this is a relentlessly pessimistic series that thinks humanity is destined to endlessly slaughter itself. What it definitely does say is that cultures that promote and value warfare will eventually meet their end due to warfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU