Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

So this shows... a lot of boat traffic; like, I understand that current boats do a lot of damage in the best case scenario, and a lot of damage in the worst (oil spills and whatnot), but I don't think this is comparable to one mass extinction event taking place in a week tops, let alone comparable to what the Rumbling did.

I understand it'll probably take Death Battle-level nerds to figure out the true logistics of the Rumbling in any kind of numerical format any time soon (and this is why 80% was really, really, really dumb in the first place), but this is like thinking that the damage current society does is 1:1 to whatever took out the dinosaurs. Over time is one thing, but we're talking pretty much one singular and astronomically drastic event.

Like for God's sake, a lot of these cities are filled with stomped/incidental corpses that no one can feasibly clean in a timely manner too, we're not even considering the disease element of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MechaX posted:

So this shows... a lot of boat traffic; like, I understand that current boats do a lot of damage in the best case scenario, and a lot of damage in the worst (oil spills and whatnot), but I don't think this is comparable to one mass extinction event taking place in a week tops, let alone comparable to what the Rumbling did.

I understand it'll probably take Death Battle-level nerds to figure out the true logistics of the Rumbling in any kind of numerical format any time soon (and this is why 80% was really, really, really dumb in the first place), but this is like thinking that the damage current society does is 1:1 to whatever took out the dinosaurs. Over time is one thing, but we're talking pretty much one singular and astronomically drastic event.

Like for God's sake, a lot of these cities are filled with stomped/incidental corpses that no one can feasibly clean in a timely manner too, we're not even considering the disease element of this

Jean and Connie's body burning days were unfortunately only getting started.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MechaX posted:

Idk i think we can just say erens not a math guy and move on tbh

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MJeff posted:

Jean and Connie's body burning days were unfortunately only getting started.

Given the heat of the Wall Titans, I don't think that part of the work is much of a worry. People were getting incinerated where they stood in the anime.

Say what you will about Eren, he really does help with the cleanup.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thanks to rocketbrah for selling me his old set

Haven’t collected manga in forever

But these two just speak to me for some reason

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s okay when Denji does it

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Flirting vs Harassment

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Steve Yun posted:

But these two just speak to me for some reason

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

everything that comes out of erens mouth in that last scene of him just immediately reads to me in the same voice as morty

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...tm_medium=email

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I only have watched someone explain the first few chapters of chainsaw man but denji seems to have good taste, while eren needs to not accidently mind control his love

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

I only have watched someone explain the first few chapters of chainsaw man but denji seems to have good taste, while eren needs to not accidently mind control his love

Denji has good taste, Denji's love interest tastes good, same difference.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22408766/

Lmao who decides to make a movie and call it the same name as a huge anime

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They knew what they were doing

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
transmorphers

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The Asylum has been doing this for decades. It's quick money to trick grandma into getting the wrong thing.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Tenkaris posted:

Had to check and yes it is just literally The Asylum doing their thing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

mandatory lesbian posted:

In the first few chapters Denji, as a dumb horny kid, makes it his life goal to touch a boob. He then touches a boob and learns that sexual acts are meaningless outside of the context of attraction to someone which immediately places Chainsaw Man ahead of most shounen if not most anime in emotional maturity.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Oh the hot demon lady isnt his actual love interest, weak. Well the only other character i know is Kobani and i assume shes the actual gf, which yeah sure shes cute, good going denji

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Eej posted:

In the first few chapters Denji, as a dumb horny kid, makes it his life goal to touch a boob. He then touches a boob and learns that sexual acts are meaningless outside of the context of attraction to someone which immediately places Chainsaw Man ahead of most shounen if not most anime in emotional maturity.

That might've been how Makima tried to sell it since she was emotionally manipulating the kid, but it was simply that he found out Power was wearing pads + a quick squeeze while your hands are still filthy from scrubbing a toilet isn't hot at all.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That's the same thing as I said, because the situation with Power is devoid of any intimate context. Just cause Makima made the setup more intimate for emotional manipulation doesn't change the fact that the author recognizes that there needs to be an emotional component for something like that to be, well, sexy.

Compare and contrast with every other anime and manga where a character brushes against a boob and has a mental freakout.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I thought The Asylum's business model was fooling rental stores into buying 50 boxes of The Terminators, I have no idea how they're still around unless it's very lucrative to accidentally click the wrong thing on Netflix.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Redbox is still very much a thing, especially in places with lovely internet where they can't stream

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mycot posted:

I thought The Asylum's business model was fooling rental stores into buying 50 boxes of The Terminators, I have no idea how they're still around unless it's very lucrative to accidentally click the wrong thing on Netflix.

It is. Netflix pays a flat rate for movies to make their catalogue look more appealing, and the Asylum makes films cheap enough that they can pocket some profit from a relatively low payout. It's actually kind of like how a lot of anime work, with the production studio operating on a flat rate rather than getting more money from its success.

(As for Chainsaw Man, considering Denji's background, I'm pretty sure "lack of personal intimacy" was a much bigger factor than "this situation is gross". Kid didn't exactly grow up in the Ritz.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tenkaris posted:

At best it might be a subtle in joke to what some folks thought AoT was going to be about.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So we didn't talk about the announcement of ShingekiFLY and Volume 35 in this thread. Long story short, an art book is coming out next April and it'll have 18 new pages by Isayama. And look, we have a cover!

https://twitter.com/shingeki_FLY/status/1716802618566365267

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol

well now we know which parts of the reception to the last chapter really stuck with Isayama.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Hahah, true. Well they greatly extended Armin and Eren’s convo and had Armin tearing into Eren’s rear end for a few minutes. So I would say, yeah, Isayama acknowledged he dropped the ball there. lol

The “We’ll see each other again in hell.” Is both pretty metal and hilarious.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Did they keep 80% of humanity will die and is the worm less dumb in motion?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

hatty posted:

Yes and yes

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yes, all the outcome stuff is the same. They did cut/add some new flash forward character bits. The worm was cg but looked pretty good.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I actually really appreciate them kicking out the "war is inevitable" stuff to seemingly thousands of years in the future. It kind of sours the ending when it feels like right after Mikasa (and presumably the rest of our cast) passes away from old age, things pretty much instantly fall apart again. Making it so, so, so far in the future gets the point across and lets them do the ending they want with the big tree without that sour feeling.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Did they still have Eren kill his own mom? That’s one of the things I hate most about the last chapter

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

hatty posted:

Did they still have Eren kill his own mom? That’s one of the things I hate most about the last chapter

It was even more explicit about it, if you can believe it!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

hatty posted:

the anime actually shows the rumbling in several parts of the world, so the entire 80% thing doesn’t come out of complete left field anymore

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

hatty posted:

The thing is, Eren is finally clearly called to task for all his poo poo and being a dumb rear end, that that event is just bundled up with all his failures, so probably less bad now?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MechaX posted:

the anime actually shows the rumbling in several parts of the world, so the entire 80% thing doesn’t come out of complete left field anymore

Eh, all the Rumbling stuff in this episode was pretty much the same as the manga, they showed all those nations in the manga too. They might've tossed in a couple extra locales, but the impression was pretty much the same.

One thing that actually bugged me about that is the mom and her baby. I think they made that scene a little worse in the anime. In the manga, you see her look at her baby and it's very clear she knows she's about to go over the edge and she makes a choice to hand her baby off to someone behind her as she falls. In the anime it just kinda.....happens? Somebody just catches her baby as she falls and that person makes the choice to keep handing the baby back. It's a small change but made the scene less poignant in my opinion, which is a real shame, 'cause the color choices they made in that scene were loving incredible.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 5, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oh, yeah. This works better.

Basic events are the same, but the execution saves things. Eren's still got the pathetic parts, but they work a lot better balanced with more focus on his "I know this will achieve a goal I care about", "I know I did something unforgivable", and "I tried to change things and I failed. Every. Time." in addition to the pathetic side of things.

He's a monster and a hosed up pathetic piece up poo poo, but he's no longer a boring pathetic piece of poo poo. I like it a lot.

(I still suspect that Eren tied into the whole Historia plot in an earlier draft, but this version did a lot to bring things together without it.)

It's not perfect, but with the revisions to the anime and the eight pages, this is a good, solid ending. No regrets.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
As someone who was shaking their head at the manga ending...

Yeah I can totally live with the end of the anime. The revisions, presentation, and amazing visuals and music just made it all work. Not perfect, but solid enough. All I wanted was for the anime to at least improve a bit on the manga. I think it exceeded my expectations in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What were the problems with the manga ending?