Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Holy gently caress, the giants themselves are so incredibly unnerving. The way they seem to be in a content, half-mindless state most of the time... it makes me half expect there to be some sort of exposition from inside a giant's mind where they're shown to simply ~love~ humans so much that they can't properly express it though anything else than eating them. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
We've just seen it from the point of view of someone inside a giant and he's in a dream-like state, which implies that the other giants have people in and they're also in a dream-like state which is why the giants are serene like that.

I disagree that other giants having people in diminishes the specialness of the Titan and Eren because what is special about them is their level of control, not the fact that they are people in giants. That Eren is in the exact weak spot of the giant and at the moment seems to be pretty deeply fused/absorbed (due to the mentioned weakness/drained state he is in) implies that all giants have someone in that spot that has been completely fused/absorbed (which stops what little subconscious control they had, just look at the difference in Eren's state in the first giant and the second and the difference between the first giant using his hand to hand combat training and the second just lashing out wildly) and killing them stops them from holding the giant together, see them disappearing shortly after being killed, Eren's construct dissolving and the Titan evaporating into thin air.

The other option is that he is just in the giant's special alien brain section because that's how it works and he acts as the brain or whatever and the same thing with the Titan, but that seems a little easy and nowhere near as intriguing as every giant having a person inside that they've absorbed at some point.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I just read all the chapters just now in one sitting. It's pretty good and all the characters are pretty likable. The only complaint I really have is that some of the art is a bit dodgy but it's progressively getting better.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just read it. Amazing series. But yes, I'm getting a serious Claymore vibe from it about the "secret people doing crazy experiments and making the monsters" thing.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Just read through the series so far and wow. I'll be keeping tabs on this manga as more comes out.

phelps
Mar 28, 2011
This series is interesting. I'd think it would eventually get licensed overseas with how well it's doing. The art isn't exceptional but gets the job done. And I agree those Titans are unnerving. The smaller ones give me the creeps the most, since they still seem to want to shove people whole down their unhinged jaws. Glutton bastards.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

The scene where all the small-ish ones collaborate on dismembering and eating those soldiers while the big bald one watches is the absolute worst. Fghfghghfgjgh

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Gah, I should have waited a year to start following this because 13 chapters is far too few and the monthly wait is going to be torture.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TheDemon posted:

Gah, I should have waited a year to start following this because 13 chapters is far too few and the monthly wait is going to be torture.

Monthly? The guy translating it right now only does whole tanks, so more like yearly.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

dis astranagant posted:

Monthly? The guy translating it right now only does whole tanks, so more like yearly.
:stare:

How long does it take for threads to be archived?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Zorak is watching over this with goodwill and grace so I wouldn't worry

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Nilbop posted:

Zorak is watching over this with goodwill and grace so I wouldn't worry
Based on other infrequent manga, there would be intermittent posts of "there's no update, sorry, but [news]."

Actually, now I'm curious. The HxH thread appears to have died. How long until others follow suit?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Someone punch that dude in the gut for me, or slap him with some money. What the christ I'm not waiting a loving year.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Elysiume posted:

Based on other infrequent manga, there would be intermittent posts of "there's no update, sorry, but [news]."

Actually, now I'm curious. The HxH thread appears to have died. How long until others follow suit?

It's been literally a year since that thing updated. If this ever falls that far behind people will just forget about it and it'll be a pleasant surprise when it reappears.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Someone punch that dude in the gut for me, or slap him with some money. What the christ I'm not waiting a loving year.

A couple weeks back someone (I think Zorak) said something to the effect of the latest volume being out and work started, so it could be any time now.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Nilbop posted:

It's been literally a year since that thing updated. If this ever falls that far behind people will just forget about it and it'll be a pleasant surprise when it reappears.
I will never forget. :911: No matter how slow it is, at least there's progress. HxH...

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine
I hope it gets updated... but then again I keep hoping Kongou Banchou will get updated. :(

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Worst comes to worst, we'll just chat in the seinen thread.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

New chapter!

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/11

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Oh wow, I think I'll wait for a better translation.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

.Clash posted:

Oh wow, I think I'll wait for a better translation.

"FROM THE SUMMARY ARTICLE OF 5 PAGES BEFORE START" :psyduck:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well that's just frustrating, I'm trying to read it but the awkward phrasing of the translation keeps turning my brain to mush.

e: Holy poo poo page 35. :stare: (not a translation issue, just a particularly horrifying page)

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 29, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah that translation is absolutely horrid

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ive read it anyway. Bad translation, but good enough to know what´s going on.

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
That translation was like a curse. On my manga.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
That was awful. I actually want to volunteer for MangaCurse just to be a grammar coach.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Well, I spent a while reworking the translation. About half was retyped and the other half was ye olde fashioned moving the letters around.

Anyway, if it's bad I'll just take it down again. Here's a download link. I think it's worth reading? :ohdear:

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Good enough for me, thanks.

theodrin
Oct 14, 2006

SUUUPERRR!!!~
Had not seen this before, thank you ADTRW~

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Elysiume posted:

Well, I spent a while reworking the translation. About half was retyped and the other half was ye olde fashioned moving the letters around.

Anyway, if it's bad I'll just take it down again. Here's a download link. I think it's worth reading? :ohdear:

Some mild critique: Next time, with those very vertical speech bubbles, just make the text a bit smaller, insert dashes "-" where you have to break up letters, and try to stroke the outlines of the words with white where they overlap the edges. It's a little bit better than turning the text 90 degrees so it's vertical. Also, try to keep the words in the center -- I noticed this on pg 17, where the text was in the top left corner of the speech bubble in panel 3.

Still-- very nice work!

Feriowind
Mar 22, 2009

But how does it taste?
Oh man, this manga is AWESOME! Though I do kinda wish I found out about this after it was finished. The wait for the next chapter is gonna be absolute torture!

Well, here's some fanart that I drew since Titan Eren is loving amazing!

eren titan by feriowind, on Flickr

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Feriowind posted:

Oh man, this manga is AWESOME! Though I do kinda wish I found out about this after it was finished. The wait for the next chapter is gonna be absolute torture!

Woah, just want to say that's awesome and you should draw more.

More Advance of the Giants stuff to tide people over in between chapters!

Lepecard fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 30, 2011

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Feriowind posted:

Heh you did a good job, thought that was official art before I read your post.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Thats better than the official art

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jackard posted:

Heh you did a good job, thought that was official art before I read your post.

The "come at me, bro!" pose kind of gives it away.

JD
Jan 11, 2003

Feriowind posted:

Excellence

Dude, any larger sizes? It's already my wallpaper but a bigger reso would be awesome.

Feriowind
Mar 22, 2009

But how does it taste?
Here ya go!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Feriowind posted:

eren titan by feriowind, on Flickr

This is great! Oh man, I love how you did the steam, it looks like one of those old-time Chinese ink prints. Can you draw Mikasa next?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
If the group scanlating the tanks the same group that has done the releases so far? Or are they the group that just released 14?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I found this amusing.