Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well that's just frustrating, I'm trying to read it but the awkward phrasing of the translation keeps turning my brain to mush.

e: Holy poo poo page 35. :stare: (not a translation issue, just a particularly horrifying page)

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh gently caress you, why you gotta stop right there! :stare:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Gah, she's horrifyingly smart and dangerous. Wrap it up, humanitailures. You had a good run. :stonk:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Holy loving poo poo, what a chapter. Pages 33 and especially 34 are amazing and horrifying. :gonk:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

So they deduced her identity after the batttle and everything after they came back to town was all a trap? The reimprisonment, the public smearing of the scouting legion in the wake of their defeat, the movement of Eren to the capital under the implication of his execution, was all a scam to confirm their suspicion of the Female Giant's true identity?

Because if so thats kind of awesome.

Wili posted:

I continue to be amazed at how good are these people at figuring things up. During most of this chapter I was pretty worried because I suspected that Annie was the giant, and was leading Eren into a trap.

Assuming the first is correct, and that's what I got out of it too, those two things combined to give me more of a jolt than my morning coffee did. I love writing that can both make me feel smart for figuring out some things and yet still blindside me with revelations that I maybe could have seen, but didn't.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pankratos posted:

I'd like to point out and praise the cover art for this chapter. Mikasa has a slim, lithe, but still muscular body appropriate for the kind of training she's been put through. She looks like an MMA fighter, which is more than I can say for many other depictions of "tough" women in manga and other media.

EDIT: Also, purple exercise clothes are cool as gently caress.

If you haven't seen it check out Teppuu which is about female MMA fighters and everyone looks capable and of the appropriate body types, the author seems to be really interested in the sport as well and his depictions start out alright but only improve as the manga progresses. As a fun bonus the main character would be the hero's antagonist in any other series so it's a fun twist on the sports genre in general. It even has its own thread.

Back to Advance of the Giants:
When the chapter started I was practically talking to the screen saying "get her in that tunnel! Get her down there now! Ooooh fucckk:ohdear:. Although in the end it might not have mattered in the slightest, considering how Eren just burst the hell out of the ground to uppercut her at the end.

Oh, you can also buy a scary mask based on the manga now.

http://www.narinari.com/Nd/20120417726.html

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

Hell yes. Too bad those both update about as often as this does. :saddowns:

I also thought that last titan was a crazy villager, it looked very much more human than the other small ones we've seen.

Honestly I think we were supposed to, the first panels where it shows up are drawn in such a way that it hides how much bigger he is than the old woman. What a horrifying fate she suffered; if I had to be eaten by some sort of horrible monster like a Titan I'd rather be bitten in half and/or swallowed whole...not consumed slowly while still being alive. :gonk :

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jesus, I wasn't too excited about an animated adaptation at all, partly just because I love the sketchy and occasionally wonky artwork in the comic.

That little teaser completely sold me on it though. So, good job trailer-making guys/gals that little snippet did it's job really well. :stare:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Newfork posted:

I was definitely struck by how it was presented. I read the page and had to go back again and look at it and really pay attention to what was just said. I had glossed it over, because it was such a critical thing but it was so nonchalantly deposited in the back! This manga does such great things with its presentation.

It really liked how it was done and I actually said "what the gently caress!" out loud (and then started laughing at myself for swearing at a comic book).

I wasn't surprised that those two ended up being titans, I was sure shocked to find out that they were those particular titans though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Anime version's character designs have been released:

The rest are here at CR

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well that was a hell of a chapter, and I really want the anime version to do so phenomenally well that it will eventually get to and pass this point.

And stop having time and staffing problems. :ohdear:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Is there a link for the English sub now?

Chapter 45 on batoto

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wow, I haven't re-read the manga at all so seeing the beginning of the story play out with the weight of all the recent reveals is really interesting. I reeaallly want the anime to get to continue for a long time.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cross post to avoid the possibility of even accidentally spoiling poo poo, because my first reaction on seeing it was to post "Bert's really tall!" :aaa:

JosephWongKS posted:

Found a height chart (fan-drawn, but looks accurate enough) of the cadets + Ervin, Levi, Hanji and Petra.

Christa is really tiny.

Assuming that's accurate, Berthold is the tallest human too. It's like he wanted to make the revelations to come really make you go :doh: "How could I not have realised that sooner!?"

It's funny, there's a lot of parts in the latest episodes that I barely remember from the manga. Hell, I had forgotten all about Petra and had to wrack my brain to think if she was still around.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Way too spoilery for anime threads:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Annie is possibly even more terrifying animated than in the manga, and I can't believe I forgot that loving Reiner is the first person who Armin runs into after she lets him go. :stonklol:

This really has my favorite kind of foreshadowing: the kind that makes you feel like a total dipshit for not seeing what is totally obvious in retrospect.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quote:

Isayama said the idea for the Titans themselves came to him when he encountered a drunk customer at the Internet café he was working at. He said he was inspired by the lack of the ability to communicate even though the person was of the same species, and thought at that moment that the most familiar and scary animal in the world is actually the human.

That's...that's just wonderful actually.

From this article with highlights of an interview he did with a TV show.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-09-23/attack-on-titan-creator-reveals-secrets-on-japanese-tv-show

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Suaimhneas posted:

Fan translations of manga always ignore that stuff and it's weird as hell. Something dramatic happens and there's a huge sound effect plastered across half the panel! Meh, nobody's going to care what that says, right? The characters are reacting to a sound from off-panel! Better hope you can figure out what it is from context, the translator isn't going to tell you. :effort:

Youtsuba& is a rare counterexample; the scans had all the sound effects and on-page text redrawn and translated and it worked great. The official Yen Press versions only do the speech bubbles and put the translations for soundfx and signage into the margins. Yotsuba& is still great though, and worth every penny.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, the foreshadowing may be ominous as hell, but it was good to see Sasha back to her old self for a little bit. :3:

Also, FYI, Crunchyroll's version of the latest chapter is now up.

Yearly all access pass fee vindicated again!

Happy fun times with all the gang together? An environment where Eren will become desperate? Oh god. :ohdear:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

coathat posted:

There's a new Attack on Titan 4koma gag manga in this new digital magazine thing.

https://www.mangabox.me/reader/SpoofonTitan/first/

Oh lord, these are making me giggle like an idiot.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Looking at crunchyroll's page i learned two things: 1) the new chapter isn't out until 4pm Pacific time (boooo), and 2) you can buy digital copies of the past volumes for Kindle now, so that's pretty cool.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Backslap posted:

Hopefully all you fools are just waiting the extra day or two for Crunchy, I can't imagine how horribly these past two or three issues were on the Scanlation side.

Historia's background is hosed up in a way that remains perfect to this series. Still, man... poo poo is hosed up.

It's up on CR, unless it's subscribers only I guess.

His art has improved a lot I think, it's still sketchy and quirky, but he's using shading really well and I really like is linework overall. Some nice expression work too especially in Historia's flashback. And yeah it's really :stonklol:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Backslap posted:

The day or two (or more) was in reference to the scanlation coming out before the official translations on Crunchy. It was not suggesting the Crunchyroll version was still due for a day or two.

Please tell me how I could have written that sentence to be clearer. It's even right after posts about the fact that Crunchrolly was happening today.

Change "are" to "were" :shobon:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm just copying this wholesale:

Fans of the Attack on Titan manga have discovered that while the in-world text appears to be gibberish, it's actually pretty easy to decipher. All you have to do is flip the page upside-down, and voilà, a message appears in sloppily-scrawled katakana.

Here's a panel from the most recent chapter of Attack on Titan.

Mouseover the spoilers for some mind-rending information.:monocle:

Rock scissors paper, rock scissors paper, rock scissors paper
So, what should I make, what should I make
In my right hand, a wiener, in my left hand, a pussy
Sex sex
Raw barley, raw rice, raw eggs
Talking dirty all day, all right!
'

Thanks ANN!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Terper posted:

Monkey Trouble will never be brought up again, not even by the characters. Everything else will resolve without answering what his deal was, leaving fans confused and angry for decades.

:lost:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jackard posted:

This never loads for some reason. I thought it might be adblock, it might be chrome, but no, nothing I try gets it working.

Did they stop doing the "latest chapter is free" thing?

Not sure what the problem is, I logged out and could still see the latest chapter (and ad) just fine; I'm in chrome too. That's weird and lovely, not sure what you should try.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kyte posted:

It seems I've been greatly overestimating the intrinsic worth of the Marvel side. Forgot the movies aren't representative.

Ms. Marvel totally owns.

That has basically nothing to do with this very strange crossover though!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Catalina posted:

And in the center: a podium that holds a serum that turns you into Dickbutt Titan.

I knew the internet wouldn't let me down.

JosephWongKS posted:

The series better end with a wedding between Historia and Ymir, that's all I'm asking.

Yeah pretty much.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Real version is out now:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read/manga?series_id=179&chapter_num=67

That's a pretty cool trick he learned.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 9, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh lord, it's the Gaping Dragon from Dark Souls made even worse :gonk:, And good job everyone! You all did your jobs flawlessly, Eren even got to beat up some jerk.

Oh also, even though it makes no sense whatsoever with what we know about titans and Mr Reiss I half expected him to somehow be full of smaller titans that would swarm out once he got split open.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Squidster posted:

There's a new live-action movie trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njH4Y1UBucw

The way they're not showing a single instance of 3dmg in use is, uh, not a good sign.

I guess, but i thought the Colossal titan looked pretty cool.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

please read the translation that pays the creator

http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read?volume_id=273&chapter_num=70.00

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It'll probably be bad, but I'll be damned if the latest trailer for the film isn't fairly exciting.

http://www.themarysue.com/live-action-attack-on-titan-trailer/

3d gear! Explosions! Blood! Way to many teeth!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Looks to up at 5pm Pacific according to crunchy's site.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

change my name posted:

I'm getting a paywall when I try to read the new chapter? That didn't happen last month...

I can read the new chapter on the ipad app, but not on their actual site right now. Are you seeing chapter 72? or is it still 71, since that one would be behind the paywall.

get it together crunchyroll

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Alternately, i can access it if i follow the link from the sidebar. :psyduck:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read?volume_id=273&chapter_num=72.00

Anyway, maybe that works?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sasha continues to own.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Squidster posted:

Attack on Titan Season 2 looking pretty strong.

Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KfnU8Xm3wk

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait wait what is this from

twitter!

After digging around a bit i found this other tidbit of information
http://www.threeifbyspace.net/2015/10/attack-on-titan-season-2-preview-video-leaked/#.VhCAknpVhBc

quote:

Fans of Attack On Titan have been waiting for something of the new season which is set to come out in 2016 and now they finally have something new to look at. A clip has surfaced that was added for the Attack on Titan: Wings of Freedom (Shingeki no Kyojin Movie 2: Jiyuu no Tsubasa) compilation film. That film covered the final 13 episodes of the first season. This brand new ending to the final 13 episodes sets up events for the upcoming second season and events in the manga itself. Be sure to check it out before its pulled off youtube.

So it's not quite the second season announcement that it was labeled as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

No coffee? What kind of horrible nightmare world have they been living in inside the walls?

Death would be a blessing. :(