Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Revdomezehis posted:

Well judging by what was said in the Mangareader chapters about the myth of how the titans came about, I'd say Erin's father is somehow connected to a group of people who originally created the titans to try to bring people together against a common enemy. Would also explain why he didn't reveal any of this information before, kinda hard to say "I'll help you defeat these enemies, after all, I made them. :smugdog: "

Given that it was the general dude who said that, and he just stated it as a myth I'd imagine it's just him making small talk as part of the overall tone and point the mangaka is trying to make. That humans fight each other regardless of how many or few of us there are. I doubt it's actually part of the backstory. As to why Eren's dad was able to make Eren a Titan and just buggered off afterwards? No loving clue. Maybe he injected some Titan blood he collected over the years in to Eren or something as simple as that?

Either way this manga rules hard. The art is weird. Buildings, walls, cities are all beautiful. Very clean, simple stuff - but with lots of it laid out to an impressively detailed degree in the wider shots. Organic stuff, humans, titans, clothes etc. are all really rough though. Looking forward to seeing what the art looks like in a year or three when the mangaka gets more of a handle on drawing them, and doing so on a deadline with a few more assistants around to help.

I'm especially impressed by how the writing manages to get just bleak enough to make you really despair and then gives a good moment of hope, or just straight up "gently caress YES!" awesomeness before going back to building up the bleakness again.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm thinking that the story is actually set in the future, and the giants were created by humanity. The reason the giants eat humans is because they need to in order to reproduce. The weak spot for every giant is actually what is left of the original human used to produce the giant. Eren's father was driven mad by this knowledge and that is why he kept it a secret and ran off to do something

Good theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Elysiume posted:

Based on the latest chapter, it looks like Eren is sitting at the nape of the neck. If every titan has a human there, it would makes sense that killing the human stops the titan. As for how humans become titans, uh, I have no idea.

Also, wow, this manga is amazing. Really, really, just, quite fantastic.

The fact that Eren attacked and ignored the pleas of even Misaka when he went in weak and sickly makes this a good possibility really. Maybe there's some other faction of humans out there raising very weak humans and growing them in to Titans to keep control or something?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MeinGott posted:

Fuuuuuck this manga is so drat good! Zorak thank you so much!

i love how even though Mikasa is normally stoned faced, whenever Eren just DECLARES HE'S DOING THIS NO MATTER WHAT she is always " :stare: ok yeah do it up"

My favorite thing about her is that even she thought Eren was dead she didn't freak out, she didn't blame Armin - she just resolved to live on and honor his memory. And it affected her despite her determination, just in a sublte, human error way.

The flashback to her youth was hosed up to. Eren is a hardcore sonuvabitch.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Elysiume posted:

It is? I thought she was just really strong. I know that they said she was Oriental (I think that's what they said?) but I didn't notice that being tied to the source of her strength.

I didn't think it was either. The source of her strength is implied to be the fact that she considers herself dead, and is living solely to protect Eren. She's not afraid to die at all, whereas everyone else is understandably loving terrified.

Also, I love the detail the mangaka puts in to eyes on some of the older characters. There's a lot of lines around their eyes which really adds to their age. One nice bit of detail in otherwise noticably sketchy art.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pigasus posted:

Really? From chapters 5-6, I thought she was strong since Eren's father was conducting experiments on her. After all, she did murder a guy by stabbing him once in the heart from behind.

Good point, hadn't twigged that at all.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zorak posted:

I thought it was just because she was kind of badass? Not everything has to have a crazy explanation guys. Sometimes a girl is just a badass :mad:

Well she does note that immediately after realizing how vicious life really is her body appeared to gain perfect control of all it's actions. That sounds a bit unnatural. I put it down to throwing away her life to save Eren's and considering herself dead, but it's probably more reasonable to assume Eren's papa was experimenting on her too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DrSunshine posted:

Apropos to the guy who questioned the logic of having wide avenues and ornate windows in a context where humanity is being stalked by giants, I have another point to bring up: why live in lowland cities at all? It seems like a huge target, a big city surrounded by farmland in an area of rolling, verdant hills. In our history, Himalayan, Andean, and other mountain-dwelling peoples developed advanced mountainside agriculture, making it clear that it is entirely possible to dwell atop some of the highest mountains in the world. The natural defensive attributes afforded by life atop mountains seems like they'd be a natural choice for a world besieged by giants, since it would make it difficult for them to clamber up -- it'd be like natural walls! Plus, cliffside dwellings and caves have been used by humanity since time immemorial to hide from invasions and attacks, it seems unusual that they'd choose to live in low ground, rather than taking advantage of naturally defensive terrain.

Someone earlier questioned why they don't live in, or on the walls and it reminded me of David Edding's the Belgarion books. One of the fortresses in those books is a huge trap, with a maze inside - any enemies that managed to get in the door were immediately lost in the maze while enemies in the walls of the fortress slaughtered them casually from above. Seems like a good idea here too frankly. You could even keep the crazy grapple fighters for giants that got in too far, started climbing the walls in a dangerous manner etc.

It wouldn't keep that hopeless feel though, and that seems like a big part of the story so who cares.