Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
If the group scanlating the tanks the same group that has done the releases so far? Or are they the group that just released 14?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
So.... why hasn't anyone been speculating on what those random numbers mean? Titan population, maybe?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I hope it's not something that obvious. And that's not even that many, too. I presumed there would be tens of thousands, at least.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Cbouncerrun posted:

What numbers?

EDIT: Oh. Have they appeared every time a titan has been killed?

No, it's appeared like 5-6 times so far, pretty randomly. Here's the first few appearances:
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/1/21
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/2/33
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/5/37

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
New chapters!

edit: :horse::horse::horse:

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 14, 2011

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I don't have any problems with the rough art style. It doesn't detract from the action or drama at all, and it's only noticeable during boring dialogue sections. But who really cares about how those are drawn anyways?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
The ring trick was pretty cool. Glad it wasn't just some magic transformation power ring.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Sanguinia posted:

This is like "WHAT THE gently caress IS EVEN GOING ON?": The Series.

No, that would be Gantz. This is great though.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Hodgepodge posted:

That's why she can't be a human-giant, at least yet. If she were, the series would have to be called Retreat From That Titan.
Prediction: later in the manga, Mikasa gets titan powers, and will have special titan 3d gear made for her titan form. She'll then use that to kill the colossal titan, and Eren will brood about this.

But seriously, Eren had better get some better Titan powers or he's just going to keep getting owned by other human titans.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Pretty sure that next chapter Connie is going to say "Gosh that titan looks like someone in my family!!" or some similarly huge revelation.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Called it

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Pretty sure that next chapter Connie is going to say "Gosh that titan looks like someone in my family!!" or some similarly huge revelation.

Pretty obvious at this point that The hairy titan must be capable of turning humans into titans

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I'm really having trouble imagining what an anime SnK would look like. Would they totally just ditch the rough, sketchy art style? Because I can't see it being replicated effectively.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I wouldn't have much trouble accepting this revelation if it weren't for the fact that both of them were little children (weren't they all like 10 years old back then??) when they turned into huge titans and hosed everything up. That just sounds dumb as hell.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Dr_Amazing posted:

They've all pretty much figured it out anyway. I don't really think anyone is going to be surprised. Eren and Annie both look and fight just like themselves.

Annie was a lot harder to figure out though because she didn't show off her fighting style in titan form until several chapters after she appeared. I really wish that they had cut out Eren's fighting stance scene in the anime, because it's such an obvious giveaway.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Eiba posted:

Honestly, it's really obvious in the anime. Oh well. Like with Annie it's revealed not with a sudden twist, but with a slow realization. You might figure it out at any number of points, but in the end the "reveal" isn't a surprise. And that's okay.

People are going to be going, "Wait, is that... Eren?" And the gears will turn, and they'll become more sure of it, and the reveal won't be a shock, but a vindication... and honestly, the implications are more interesting than the shock.

The only shock that really matters as a shock are Reiner and Bertholt. You can tell it really matters because the reveal is shoved into the corner of another casual panel, where it's absolutely least expected.

Speaking of that reveal, Annie asking Reiner if they should do anything yet was really obvious in retrospect. I liked that. I actually got a friend to read the manga recently, and he was calling bullshit on the reveal- he thought it was pulled out of the author's rear end at the last minute or something (which I explained is bullshit for a number of reasons). He's starting the anime, so I'll be sure to point out this scene to him.

Yeah, the manga still has some reveals that come completely out of nowhere (Ymir, Reiner and Bertholt, the talking bigfoot), but it's a shame that the anime won't get to any of that.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Paracelsus posted:

Reading that post was like reading the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones for the first time; you're just reading along and your mind isn't quite willing to fully process that yes, this is actually happening until you've already reached the point of no return.

So basically just like how the reveal happens in the manga? :haw:

:smith:

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Her mother doesn't have a tattoo. Though admittedly that could be an oversight. Has anyone actually seen the tattoo, Mikasa is always wearing long sleeves so there is no telling if there is a tattoo there or not.

No, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It will certainly be relevant at some point, knowing the author.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Rei_ posted:

It seems more like Reiner knew his cover was blown when he got injured, and that's why they blew their cover so awkwardly, I thought.

Yeah, that's a plausible theory, though it's also plausible that he could keep loving up his arm repeatedly to hide the regeneration. :emo:

I'm really hoping Mikasa never becomes a Titan, it would pretty much kill a lot of her appeal.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
In his darkest hour, Reiner must resort to his special move:

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

DrSunshine posted:

She'll become more and more of a murdergoddess and less and less human during the upcoming 13-volume tournament arc.

The real kicker comes when she finds out her brain was a microchip the whole time :v:

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Pretty sure we saw another vial of armor juice in that case, so it looks like we'll be heading straight back to Wall Maria next.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Captain Invictus posted:

It's a series that rationalizes various aspects of its fantasy parts such as the 3d gear and titans well enough to not create much storytelling dissonance in the narrative. There is no such explanation for how plucked'n'barbecued armin then hurtled to the earth and smashed into a roof in his crispy and delicious state and wasn't dead before he hit the ground. He just somehow did, through the power of plot armor.

It would be like if someone in law and order got a full clip of an ak47 emptied into their guts and then the next scene is them being operated on in a hospital to save them, as if they hadn't died halfway through being unloaded into. It's something you don't "just survive" given the tone of the series, without it damaging the tension of the series.

Yeah this is some serious bullshit, I hope the author loses their medical license.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
A true professional would have spent at least an hour studying GIS results for "full-body burns" before putting pen to paper. loving quack probably never even saw Faces of Death 2-5, heh.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Yay now we get to play "match the minor characters to their Titan form" game. I hope Pixis gets to be a lady titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Link doesn't work for me. Anyone else?