Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Love this. Wish it got released more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like how even with their awesome, high speed, well-coordinated aerial combat style and fairly dumb opponents, it is all still only marginally effective.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, a completely original story based in modern Japan? I will probably never actually watch this movie regardless of its quality, but that really doesn't inspire confidence.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
With Gantz, it was pretty clear that the identity of the aliens wasn't really important. In SnK, the true nature of the titans is of paramount importance and has been since the first chapter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
What sort of goddamn ubermensch is that female titan as a human? Not only is she a skilled tactician, she is also an amazing hand to hand fighter. Do you suppose she is a someone we've already met?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gyges posted:

I think it's mostly that Eren still doesn't know what the gently caress about transforming, and when transformed has no thought other than "Blaurgh, Raaargh, gently caress YOU!"

No, Eren kept his mind this time. He was fully in control, and he was fighting well. It is just that the female titan was so much better than him. Aside from the armor ability, I didn't get the feeling that either of them had any physical advantage. This was all skill.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Flergatron 3000 posted:

What the gently caress just happened :stare:

You mean how she took his head off? Roundhouse kick.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nilbop posted:

If that really was a roundhouse kick the author really needs some work, I had no loving idea what was going on there. Also some real crazy logic is going to have to be pulled to get the Duke bros out of this one.

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/v07/c029/32.html

Look at how she is moving here and the previous two pages are easier to understand.

The idea is that it was so fast that Eren couldn't even see it. If this was shounen, someone would narrate exactly what she did and then do a reaction shot. Here, you just have to examine the art closely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
She got crushed to death before the titan ate her. It was not at all ambiguous.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh my, yes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Simstim posted:

They are going to end up at Eren's basement eventually so they're going to at least have some success.

Once a month isn't enough for this manga, I need more.

Yes, but it will turn out that Eren's basement is the most horrible place in the world.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nilbop posted:

She really wouldn't. She's perfect as a foil for everybody but reading about the amazing mass-killer prodigy girl with no emotions got old years ago.

Oh, Mikasa has very strong emotions, as was shown in this chapter. She is just more than a little broken.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Vincent Valentine posted:

Without sounding sassy: They looked at the giant. Then they looked at her.

Why the poo poo did they reveal their hand? She's still in human form, loving stab her in the face why are you telling her you know stab her in the faaaaaaaace :argh:

They don't want to kill her. Killing her wouldn't get them any answers as to who she is and what her goals are.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Thoren posted:

I dunno. Seems like a pretty specific group translates Shingeki no Kyojin. I'm grateful for their work.

They don't own any part of this manga. They have no say in who puts up their slightly altered pirated scans.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 11, 2012

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jostiband posted:

It'll be a dating sim. :negative:

I'm sure the vores would love it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
She really shot herself in the foot when she spared Armin. Eren's primary talent aside from turning into a titan is hand to hand combat. The list of people who Armin knew and were considerably better than Eren at martial arts is very, very short.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Titans regenerate endlessly. They may slow down when deprived of sunlight, but I don't think they ever really stop.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont think martial arts training will do anything to Eren right now while he's in titan form. He seems to blank out and just go primal on whoever he considers the target.

Also Mikasa's line that inspired Eren was something Eren said to her when they were kids. Well part of what he said, he went something like "Cruel and beautiful place". I guess there is no more beauty, just cruelty :black101:

Nah, even when he is berserk he still uses basic hand to hand skills. He needs to completely internalize martial arts so that he always does it unconsciously. It is something that would make him a better fighter as a titan but not more difficult to put down with 3d gears.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They might very well have willingly become titans and done the hardening thing. However, it seems remarkably unlikely that they would still have their minds after hundreds of years in that state.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

pnumoman posted:

On a related note, one of my favorite aspects of this manga is the fact that I have no clue how to place this world technologically. While the differences between the central district and the outlying districts you can chalk up to a rural/urban difference, the 3D gear, the weapons, and the Titans themselves all seem to indicate that there is advanced technology beyond the printing-press level we've explicitly seen.

The technology level is post-apocalyptic. That the 3d gears exist is a testament to how long humanity has been at war with the titans.

However, there is one very curious absence. They have cannons. They have compressed gas to power 3d gears. They have wood, metallurgy, textiles, and at least some industrial capacity. So, why aren't there any dirigibles? I think that the lack is intentional. With even just basic hot air balloons, the scouting legion could literally scout. Yet in its current form, the scouting legion serves as an outlet for getting rid of young malcontents and idealists. They mostly come back either broken in some way or not at all. I don't think the powers that be care about what is outside the walls at all.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it there may have been spotter balloons in this manga at one point. I can't remember exactly when, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 12, 2012

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The world is very large, and ordinary titans don't seem capable of communicating very well. It is possible that the sasquatch and company simply never found the city.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Zasze posted:

He knows nothing of the 3d gear though which they have been using atleast 10 years.

Which is weird as hell.

All that means is the sasquatch doesn't know much about the humans of this city. We've always assumed that there weren't any survivors elsewhere, but what if that isn't the case? Other groups of humans might have come up with wildly different methods for fighting titans. Naturally, those other groups must have been wiped out by now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm not sure if Annie was even capable of speech in titan form.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Or maybe it is a traditional name among the wall cultists.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shingeki-no-Kyojin/Vol-009-Ch-038--Castle-Utgard?id=143453

This chapter was amazing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It was much more obvious that Ymir was a girl during that one scene with Sasha.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Soulcleaver posted:

I was surprised at the canned herring, too. Wasn't canned food invented in the early 1800s? Even 21st century canned food goes bad after 5-10 years, so someone's gotta still be making it. These people have gas powered jetpacks and steel boxcutter swords, so not everything's at the middle ages carts-and-castles level that things appear to be at first glance. drat I love this series so much. :ohdear:

And I still wish they'd use tripwires to kill those big bastards. It's already been established that non-aberrant giants are usually dumb enough to walk into obvious traps, so (unless I'm missing something) building narrow passageways and stringing rope or wire across them and then having nearby attack teams to hack at the necks of the giants that fall over would seem like a better solution than aiming cannons from atop the walls and hoping to take out the small vulnerable portion just below their heads.

Like they said in this very chapter, dealing with single titans is rarely all that difficult. The problem is that titans overwhelm people with numbers. Any such trap would be useless if more than one titan entered it at once.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That one joke out of nowhere was just lovely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is learning about 3d gear. It isn't entirely certain of how that fighting style works.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It isn't likely that all of them will die, but in this manga you can never be sure. I'm not even sure if Eren will survive to the end.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Thoren posted:

One of two things will happen.

1. The humans at the tower are absolutely hosed.

2. The new pack of Titans approaching will clash with the current titans siegeing the tower.

It'll be drat good either way.

3. Eren has an epic battle with the beast titan and the humans win!

And equally likely,

4. A benevolent diety destroys all the titans and gives Sasha a never-ending baked potato.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

erezaka posted:

I dunno, I think since Eren and Mikasa are partners and guard each other's backs and all that, most likely one of them will die at the climax of the series, just so it can end on a bittersweet note

Bittersweet? I wouldn't put it past this manga to end with the extinction of the human race.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I actually really like the uncertainty. There is a very consistent narrative, but you can't tell what will happen next. No one is safe, the good guys can and do lose, and the setting is riddled with fascinating mysteries. Even better, the large cast of completely mortal characters are mostly likable and interesting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gyges posted:

That's the thing though, the wall isn't broken. Remember that the Scouts ran along the inside of it looking for the breach and didn't find one.

He was talking about the inner wall, though I think that idea is a bit silly. It isn't as though the breach Annie made was the first time a wall had ever been damaged.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is much too early for a tv series. It would be nice if it eventually gets the hellsing ultimate treatment, but that is something that won't happen for like a decade if at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

They could start the Hellsing Ultimate treatment right now and it'd happen in about a decade anyway. :v:

Quality takes time. I'd rather get something good every couple of years than garbage over one season.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't care if it has a filler ending if we can get that quality of animation for the important parts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jonjonaug posted:

Really hoping the entire budget isn't blown on the first few episodes.

Even if they do, that means we get a few spectacular episodes out of it. It is win-win!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ymir said that she died before. She lived for some time as a thief, presumably alone, and then joined the scouts fairly recently. We have no idea how old she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That one titan thought that a scout was Ymir. They did have rather similar physical features, which is sort of crazy because Titans don't seem to be smart enough to discern between humans. If a titan recognized Ymir's human form, it naturally follows that Ymir spent time around titans as a human. I have no idea how that would work, as titans can't seem to detect humans that can transform.