Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well, gently caress.

I stumbled on this thread by accident, never heard of this thing. Now, 3 hours of my life have just disappeared while I was reading all the 10 chapters. I wanst going to, Im not into mangas at all. But drat if that wanst the best comic book Ive read in a long time and actually one of the best read I had this year.

This poo poo is just amazing, Im completely hooked. I just need to know one thing: when is the next one coming?

EDIT: Ok, the art is not a masterpiece at all, but the giants are pretty drat creepy. And the argument more than makes up for it. The plot is incredible and original, the characters are pretty good, and the dialogs are great, Im not ashamed (well, perhaps a little) to admit I almost cried a few times.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
One thing that really puzzles me is the titans expressions while attacking and eating humans. They usually look almost joyful, or at least peaceful. No signs of anger, rage, fear, evil. The big one is different, though, that one really looks vicious.

Another obvious remark is that the titans probably appeared around the 19th century.

Also, how many people are in that city and how its called? I dont remember the book saying anything about it, but I might have missed.

EDIT:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

wtf

Well, what can I say, Im a very emotional kid.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 3, 2011

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

DrSunshine posted:

How do you "aim better" when the sensitive spot is the neck of a giant who is moving towards you?

I suppose one could conceive of a plan where we encircle the giant, attracting them with bait and then shooting them from behind. Or if they had homing missiles.

Well, they do have grenades.

And when the giants are inside the cities or near the walls, it would be a heck of a lot smarter to just shoot then on the weak spot from above (shooters standing on tall buildings or at the top of the walls).

The "3D fighting" is a lot cooler though.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Elysiume posted:

It's also not very quick to aim a cannon. They also aren't very accurate.

Seems like they also got rifles.

And all that technology genious they spent making incredible grappling hook things could have been better used making better rifles, stronger/faster cannons, more powerful grenades, etc, way more pratical and believable weapons.

Anyway, thatīs a manga and soldiers jumping around with swords and grappling hooks are very cool, so why are we even discussing that

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 8, 2011

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Elysiume posted:

You really think a rifle will do the amount of damage they need to do? :psyduck:

What do you honestly think is more realistic: developing stronger rifles capable of punching trough the giants flesh, or developing incredible grappling hook things fueled by gas and hyper-strong blades and then fight the giants in a spider-man fashion?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Elysiume posted:

Have you seen how much flesh they need to remove? They would need to develop very powerful grenade launchers instead of just rifles.

I guess making the better grenade launchers would make sense.

Or maybe machine guns.

Jose posted:

Its still a pretty pointless argument to be having though.

Nobody is going to dispute that.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ive read it anyway. Bad translation, but good enough to know whatīs going on.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Boy, this manga sure has the highest mortality rate of any comic book Ive ever read.

Amazing chapters, really. The killing of the captured titan seems to imply that there are people working with the titans from within the city.

Also, if I understood correctly (chapter 23, p 16), Eren was supposed to be on the right flank , where she attacked, but was actually in another position, so the commander suspects someone from the inside is acting against then.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Schubalts posted:

They do go lie down. One was lying down next to a house when a Scout squad woke it up.

Then why the gently caress the scout legion goes out during daylight? Seems very stupid not to take advantage of the fact that titans are inactive at night.

Also, wanst that first strike of the colossal titan (when Eren mother is eaten) at night?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zorak posted:

Gotta love a manga where characters are actually intelligent in their conclusions yessss

True that. Its refreshing to read a manga where you dont feel like screaming at the characters to realize the obvious.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I will have to say it again: Ive never ever read a manga or comic book of any kind with such an absurd mortality rate. Is "realistic" too, given the situation.

Its both awesome and heartbreaking how characters are introduced, developed a little, and then, right when we are starting to get fond of then, brutally murdered.

This chapter was one of the best so far, cant wait for the next one.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Holly poo poo this comic book.

Always the most unexpected outcome. Just incredible.

I would never expect that she would beat his rear end and bite him off even though (and because) that would be the most reasonable outcome (considering she seems like some kind of elite titan warrior while Eren has very little experience in titan-transforming), and then thatīs exactly what happens

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 12, 2012

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well, thatīs one loving depressing comic book, thatīs for sure.

Also, awesome.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Pankratos posted:

I'd like to point out and praise the cover art for this chapter. Mikasa has a slim, lithe, but still muscular body appropriate for the kind of training she's been put through. She looks like an MMA fighter, which is more than I can say for many other depictions of "tough" women in manga and other media.

EDIT: Also, purple exercise clothes are cool as gently caress.

Is that really the cover? Because I really cant understand wahtīs happening there, apart from Mikasa. What the hell with that girl wearing a bikini with a flower in her mouth? The angry kids at bottom?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ok but if the titans forming the wall were voluntary, why was the priest so desperate and urgent about covering the exposed one from sunlight? It seemed he was afraid it would wake up.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dare to say this was the best chapter yet. Just awesome.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Daler Mehndi posted:

Oh God, I thought I was the only one.

I was shocked too

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
39 is out!

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/39/?ref=email

EDIT: what a blast once again we are lead to believe thatīs everything is gonna be alright and than an even more absurd doom comes out of nowhere

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Yeap, pretty much awesome.

Also made me realize how loving cool would be an Advance of the Giants video-game.

Just imagine Shadow of the Colossus with "3D gear".

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I just re-read the whole thing cause I could barely remember who anybody was besides Eren, Mikasa and Armin. Everyone with lovely memory like mine should do this, the story gets a lot better when you actually knows who everyone is.

Also, I noticed 3 things (dont think I need to spoil then, its old stuff):

1- inst a bit suspicious when Christa conveniently shows up with spare horses during the expedition right when Armin, Jean and Reiner were completely hosed up? Also, later when they are by the trees preventing titans from entering the forest, Christa is missing.

2- does anyone else noticed the Annie's father face is not visible on any of her flashbacks? It might just be bad art, but I think that probably means he is someone important, maybe some character we already know.

3- Inst a bit absurd that nobody knows anything about the outside world or how the walls came to be? Is like it happened in some very very distant past and all was forgotten, but that just dont add up. First, according to "official" history, humanity erected the walls just 107 years ago. I understand that the King and the church are working to keep people ignorant about it, but is too recent: Eren great-grandfather, for example, ought be alive before the walls. So how come not even some oral stories survived about what happened? Also, they are a pretty advanced society, the have books, newspaper etc. How come all history was lost like that in a little more than a century?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 12, 2012

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

.Clash posted:

Having re-read myself because of the trailer. No, she isnt.

A few pages later she is:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/48480/shingeki-no-kyojin_v7_ch27_by_tdx/3

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Oh yeah http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/41

Historia, holy poo poo thats a meaninful name, on a world that seems to have lost its history

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Newfork posted:

My thoughts exactly, when they grabbed her hair I thought they were gonna piggyback the hell out of there on her head, which would've been pretty awesome. Why would you have her go back and fight all the drat things again :negative:

yeah, I was also expecting that.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Rime posted:

Wait wait, loss of limbs trickles down so that the 'pilot' loses those limbs as well? That's new...

It doest not makes much sense, and that never happened to Eren. Perhaps she was bitten after she fell and was getting eaten by the other titans? Or perhaps it means she is really a different kind of human-titan than Eren.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

House Louse posted:

The scruffy art worked really well in this chapter. Too well, really.

Also historia means history, but it also means story. Not necessarily objective facts.

In portuguese at least, that is correct

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

.Clash posted:

Wow when was the last time a chapter ended on a positive note? Unless she just died... Still, gently caress yea and Eren you dumbass.

I really dont think she is going to die: if she is like Eren at all, she will regenerate her wounds fast

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

booksnake posted:

If I remember right, one of the times Eren transformed they talked about cutting his arms and legs off to be able to pull him out of his titan body. Also this.

But that wanst what the poster I was responding to said. He suggested that Ymir titan limbs were cut and that reflected in her real body, That didnt happen to Eren or Annie

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gyges posted:

Eren and Annie are human-titans. Ymir looks like she might be a titan-human. If that's the case the effects of damage in titan mode could be quite different.

Nah, Im more inclined to think like Dr_Amazing above: her titan body is smaller so her real limbs got cut while she was being eaten by dozens of titans.

I think there are probably different kinds races of titans and human-titans, but titan-human relantionship thing works the same for all of then. Keep in mind that she used the exactly same method to transform (self-hurting) than Eren and Annie

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well gently caress

That's was very casual and sudden way of giving up such a huge revelation, and right after two other important (but not so much after that) revelations in a 3 chapter battle. Its loving insane.

That was the point when they were going back home to safety to question Ymir (I knew she wanst dead) and Historia and ponder on the amazing things that had just happened, and then we were going to find some new facts and a lot of new mysteries and then the story would go slower for a bit before the next huge fact.

Well, that's what I was expecting, but no time to breathe here. It was loving incredible but also a bit disappointing, it kinda feels like the story is being rushed.

EDIT: gently caress this "flagada" guy from mangafox, how come he was so completely right? And how come nobody else ever noticed that Reiner looks exactly like the Armored titan??

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 13, 2013

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

AnonSpore posted:

I thought that was part and parcel of the Reiner and Bertholdt are titans theory. If anything, Bertholdt being the colossal titan was much less obvious.

I know I never noticed that (which is completely evident when you look at then one after the other), so it blew my mind when I saw it now. Actually, I never noticed any of the hints this guy found, but they all make sense and most of then are pretty obvious.

So I guess Im feeling a little stupid.

EDIT:

RatHat posted:

It's a bit scary that it doesn't seem to be a big deal that Bernholt's titan form is so big. Makes me think there may be more people in his village that can turn into titans that big as well, perhaps even bigger.

Now Im starting to think that when they talk about "our village" they are actually talking about the place the human-titans live or gather

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 14, 2013

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It seems to me that "zombie-titans" will attack human-titans (it happened to Eren, Annie and Ymir).

But Monkey Titan is something else, and that's why he wanst attacked.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Schwarzwald posted:

Maybe they should provide Eren with a titan-scale club, or hammer?
Brute force is much more effective with some leverage.

They could even give him a cannon. Cannons have been said to one-shot even powerful titans. While the drawback is they're very difficult to aim, Eren could fire one at point blank.

There hasn't been a lot of acknowledgement that Eren isn't just transforming into a giant monster; he's transforming into a giant human.

A cannon would be awesome, but since this is a manga, I would bet in a giant sword.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eiba posted:

Couldn't disect them because they evaporate as soon as they die. You'd have to carefully vivisect them, which I can believe they haven't gotten around to yet.

And even if they did... mindless titans might not have very well preserved humans left in them. Just bits that used to be human or something.

The titans regenerate quite fast, which would make vivisecting than alive a real nightmare.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zorak posted:

She's the most talented of her class, but she's probably not the most talented overall; after all, Rivalle himself is REALLY drat talented too.

I think Rivalle is only (possibly) better than her just because he has a lot more experience, she become the strongest human soon.

So yeah, I do think there's something special about her.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Toadsniff posted:

:iamafag: Hey Eren! I'm the Armored Titan and this is my buddy the Colossus, we totally caused the death of hundreds of your comrades but we'll totally stop bro if you come with us to our secret lair.

Plus thousands and thousands of civilians. Including your mother.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I decided to watch the anime yesterday, its pretty good. And it made me realize that I never noticed some very important things that happened in the first few chapters.

So please, help me refresh my memory: how the hell Eren got that basement key again? The anime shows that his dad had the key with him when he left (and the manga too, if I remember correctly).

So when or how did he got it? Was it ever explained or it remains a mystery?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Eren's bad memory strikes again. It's to be assumed that when his dad came back temporarily and experimented on Eren (maybe Mikasa) that is when Eren got the key. It's never been officially stated when Eren took the key to the basement.

And when his dad came back temporarily? Those memories with father ("You are strange ever since mom died!!") always confused me. How far as I understood, his dad went away to the inner city that day, right before the titan invasion, and then never appeared again.

Unless he came back to him in secrecy and somehow Eren cant remember it properly and only have those flashbacks? At the same time, he doenst seems to be surprised or confused at all that he have that key.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 26, 2013

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Serious Frolicking posted:

Huh. So is it possible that his dad is still alive somewhere?

I think that's almost a fact. What I dont know is if/when he ever met with Eren after the invasion.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I just went to the anime thread and read some pretty good elaborated theories about how it makes sense and its actually good writing that Eren is dead and now Mikasa is replacing him as the protagonist. I was almost convinced.

So cute :3:

EDIT: also, I cant explain why, but it seemed even more obvious in the anime that Angry Titan is Eren. Or maybe is just because I already know? I remember thinking it could be him while I was reading the manga, but I dont think I was so sure myself. But I didnt had one week wonder and speculate, since Ive read all the way to chapter 15 in one go.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Breaky posted:

I would disagree with the action sequences, otherwise yah.

Action sequences do get confusing sometimes, though. Ive often have to read then more then once to understand wtf happened.