Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
:aaaaa: + :stare: + :black101: Sums this manga up pretty nicely so far, holy hell. Thanks for the thread, going to be watching for releases of this like a hawk now.

I'm kindof curious why his Giant doesn't regenerate but instead he does; we haven't seen him regenerate except for while he was in his Giant form though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So, who knows a guy who knows a guy who does work on this scanlating it? Maybe if I threw a fiver someone would scanlate it?

:qq:

This makes me wonder if there's any sort of Crunchyroll-esque manga service where you can support the authors and read manga in very high quality translations but without buying actual manga physical copies. And if not why the hell not?

Somewhat of a tangent I know, but I just want more Advance of the Giants too. :(

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Frome posted:

That female titan is a beast. Those chapters did a really good job of demonstrating how much of a threat intelligent titans are. She's pretty much untouchable.

loving hell I cannot wait for her and Eren to square off. Great chapters, especially watching the three pronged attack in the small town with the windmill get demolished.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man I just cannot get enough of this manga, what a great chapter.

Really liked the symbolism of them all biting their own hands too.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
The last panel of chapter 28 is the epitome of rage. :black101: I just wish this came out more regularly.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo did he punch so hard his bones ripped right out of his flesh at the elbow joint when it hit the ground?!

:aaaaa: That fight.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
drat, I thought they had her until the ring knife showed up.

I really like the action shots in this series, it reminds me of Berserk in terms of being visceral but less cluttered.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yomtom posted:

New chapter is out http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/33

:stare:

:suspense: is pretty much the exact reaction I had to this chapter. Very well done, and it raises a ton more questions that may have been foreshadowed earlier and we just missed it. Because of how deep within the city this particular series of walls is, is it possible that unlike the exterior walls they have never been breached? Maybe only the very innermost sorts of walls have a Titan in them, or maybe just this one spot for some reason.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like you're all close, but off the mark. It's obvious he should be doing pro wrestling moves when fighting other titans. Power bombs, flying elbows, hitting one of them over the head with a giant chair, clotheslines, the works.

e: vvv Intro song chosen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6rDWqjnW7w

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 22, 2012

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Somehow every new titan seems creepier than the last. :stare: I take it all back. I don't want to see this as an anime any more. I like being able to sleep.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

This guy. This guy has good taste. (Iron Wind is the translation of Teppu.)

Hell yes. Too bad those both update about as often as this does. :saddowns:

I also thought that last titan was a crazy villager, it looked very much more human than the other small ones we've seen.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

39 is out!

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/39/?ref=email

EDIT: what a blast once again we are lead to believe thatīs everything is gonna be alright and than an even more absurd doom comes out of nowhere

Imagine the word "Hope" being stomped on by a massive steel boot. Forever.

That's Advance of the Giants. :shepicide:

Gotta say him picking up a Titan was pretty loving awesome.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

:circlefap: That looks absolutely amazing. This is going to make for one amazing television series; I wonder where they intend to cut off at.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

In hi-def, around the 46 second mark, you can see a titan just slap a soldier-dude into dust, goddamn. :o:

How the gently caress did I miss that. :aaaaa: Here, slowed down a bit:

And with a pause as he gets just completely turned into paste:

Pretty sure that's shrapnel from his 3D Gear flying off in all directions too. Plus, that Titan face. :getin:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love how loving wild Eren's titan looks compared to theirs. Like pure rage.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I decided to reread this series from the beginning, and holy gently caress I somehow forgot how grisly as gently caress this gets. The part where Eren is in a Titan's stomach and one of the other people is deliriously complaining to their mother about it being hot while they dissolve in stomach acid. :black101: :psyboom:

Also that Ryner and Berthold were the first to really suggest they should attempt to help Titan-Eren before anyone knew it was Eren. Given that they were titans, they probably already suspected something was up.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Breaky posted:

Only way I can see this working out well for our protagonists is that Eren is knocked silly again for a few and remembers something his Dad told him about Titans. Or, maybe this might be a good time to unveil whatever other titan sect? there is out there as an enemy of these titans also. Otherwise, yeah it's gonna be tough to imagine a situation where nearly any of these guys gets out alive.

The hairy Titan left near there not long ago, right? Given that we don't know why or where he was going, it's possible he could show up in this mess.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

Maybe they should provide Eren with a titan-scale club, or hammer?
Brute force is much more effective with some leverage.

They could even give him a cannon. Cannons have been said to one-shot even powerful titans. While the drawback is they're very difficult to aim, Eren could fire one at point blank.

There hasn't been a lot of acknowledgement that Eren isn't just transforming into a giant monster; he's transforming into a giant human.

It strikes me as the best way to subdue the armored titan is to immobilize it and then bind it so it can't move; it doesn't seem to be significantly stronger than other titans, and (I assume) titan bodies have the same general physical muscle structure making certain movements require certain muscles. I think they should make Eren a titan size bolas:

A fairly simple thing to produce, which can be carried compactly or even put together on the fly from it's component parts within a few minutes, and used to hunt large game by tying up their legs to disable them. Upscaling it to work against something as big as a titan without snapping from the impact would require some really strong cabling but it seems practical enough for a group on horseback to bring along. Certainly easier to move around than a giant sword or a cannon which would require a wagon at the least. The obvious downside is whether distributed or not it'd weigh down the horses more, which puts you at risk of being snapped up by regular swarms of titans on an open field.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Is this show being put on Cruchyroll or the like by chance? The anime probably warrants it's own thread once it starts up if only to keep spoiler crossover from ruining some of the twists, but goddamn does it look good based on those PVs.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

I was thinking a metal remix of Beethoven's fifth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-A7DhOQ1p0

I'm thinking something with choir:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTcmKRFoPK8

We don't actually get to see the transformation until after we find out Eren is the titan after seeing him get eaten and his arm and leg bitten off in the manga, looking forward to the anime reactions to losing our protagonist so early on. :3:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

.Clash posted:

Episode 2 featuring: Off screen violence, half an episode of padding, slower pacing and chronological order of events maybe?
Sure weve got 24 episodes but getting right into the action with timely flash backs is something I really like about the manga.

I think it's probably not a bad call from an anime pacing standpoint: if next episode we went right into their graduation and then the reunion of the colossal titan and Eren right away might be too rapid of a development for the format. This way they can lay out the tactics and societal structure and how 3d maneuver gear works, develop the characters that are going to be key going forward, and then have mostly uninterrupted fight scenes. Flashbacks in anime don't work as well during the action unless they are kept short and emotionally invested.

This way makes the upcoming twists and turns much less sudden. :unsmigghh:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nilbop posted:

I'm still not sold with the idea of Reiner and Bertholdt being sent in with the most important jobs in the Titan nation at the tender age of, what, 12? It's just nudging the manga away from the survival-mystery-horror niche and more into the mainstream. Which I'm not saying it wouldn't have had to do to keep going, but it just doesn't gel for me right now.

I got the impression that they did it because they were stupid kids, not because they were under orders to do it. Was there somewhere they said they got orders to bust up the human walls that I forgot about? Reiner makes it sound like they learned about the humans behind the walls and attacked in hopes of wiping them out, and that now that he's been with them for the last 3 years he's come to realize they aren't what he expected and he has grown conflicted about what to do. The only thing he says that makes it sound like he was given a task was saying he's going to do his duty, but that could be a duty he gave himself like "protect the abnormal titans from humanity by wiping them out".

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 14, 2013

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Well I'm glad somebody created :magical: because that video is about the perfect representation of it. That poor bastard who gets devoured after the hairy titan leaves is gut wrenching in it's unthinking cruelty.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pensive posted:

The best part is going to be next week. Assuming they don't switch events around at all, Erin is going to appear to be unceremoniously and with little warning killed off about half way through the episode. We're then going to have about 3 or 4 episodes until the reveal/confirmation of Erin-titan's identity, where it appears as if Mikasa is the new protagonist. :allears:

I can hardly wait for this, the last sudden twist reveal I was so hyped to see happen was in the SAO anime. If this is half as glorious as that, I will be pleased; the anime team could make this into the world's best fake out really easily.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

coreycoryecorey posted:

Yea. It kind of the same deal we had with Madoka. How people would gush over how it was a "deconstruction of the whole magical girl and anime genre" it was. Don't get me wrong I liked Madoka and it was a good show, but it was by no means the most forward-thinking and genre breaking anime of all time. I wish people would realize that killing off the main character in the middle of his or her Journey is not conducive to good story telling. Sure it would be edgy and make people go WHOA, but it is kind of hard to pick up the pieces be able to frame the rest of the story after that.

I think it's a fine line to tread: you can buck the trends and tropes but they exist for a reason, and going too far in subverting them can damage a story irreparably if done poorly. AoT does a good job treading this line: We have a shounen protagonist for sure, but he is heavily flawed. His first mission is a loving disaster and he gets almost everyone killed, and subsequent missions don't go much better. Additionally, the setting itself creates a threat to convention. We've seen a lot of characters spout off big or think they'll survive and just get absolutely obliterated seconds later without remorse; that sort of pressure frames the readers view on the rest of the story. Eren is the protagonist and thus the reader wants to believe he'll survive or they wouldn't invest themselves in his character development, but I also don't think it'd be impossible for him to die, just unlikely.

My only concern for anime viewers is that we (manga readers) made a point of emphasizing that this series likes to gently caress with expectations and trample tropes and some viewers may take that as a statement that the series never follows convention, instead of sometimes following along and sometimes going outside the norm when it serves the story to do so. Hopefully any such disappointment will be remedied by realizing that always bucking trends is as cliche as always following them, and that Titan Eren punching a titan so hard it blows his hand off and sends the top of it's skull flying away is :black101: as all hell.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I hope they change up the order a bit and show part of when Eren is in the stomach right away next episode, that scene is grisly as gently caress and would be horrifying if you didn't know what was coming next:

:shepface:

Have him crying and sinking while he rants and rambles incoherently about how he's gonna kill them all, then cut away to Mikasa or Armin.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

Nonono! After the wounded-puppy eyes! The intense bread eating eyes!!

I couldn't help but think of this scene for intense eating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9W2NriVKXQ&t=116s

Also, Conny looking kinda like a badass in those panels he was in. I like it.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Some fantastic avatar / nightmare fuel there. loving hell Armin, you and your goddamn expressions.

I'm not sure anyone is a good guy in this story anymore. gently caress.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm pretty sure only one of the power trio will survive the ending. It will probably be Mikasa or Eren. Jean's continuing talk of sacrifice for humanity and how people sacrifice their lives for Eren in the hope he is their savior has to be foreshadowing for his arc at this point.

There's no way either of those two live, they're both way too selfless and heroic and in love. It's gotta be Armin.

:glomp: It'll end with this whole thing being Armin writing a book about the events.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
So who's going to add Armins death to this fantastic image and complete the arc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

I like that Armin transformed and then we didn't even get to see it this chapter because so much other poo poo was going on

Need a third panel for this:

Chapter 103: *atomic bomb*