Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ok but if the titans forming the wall were voluntary, why was the priest so desperate and urgent about covering the exposed one from sunlight? It seemed he was afraid it would wake up.

Perhaps the people who controlled the giants to form the wall lost control/died at some point, such that the giants now embedded in the wall are now as aggressive as the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

He should have stuck with his original ending. Now I'm worried that the story will take a generic turn and lose some of its quality in the end.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Factory Factory posted:

There are... In the walls! I'm betting that the Colassals are too big to move on their own, too. Bert was never shown taking a step or turning fully, just braced kicks and swatting. When movement became necessary, he ollie'd outtie. And despite Titans being so un-dense, Bert still left giant footprints where he was standing.

That's an interesting thought. Maybe the colossal titans are at the upper physical limit of titan size. Was Ape Titan much smaller than a colossal titan?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Elias_Maluco posted:

Nice chapter, but felkt a little rushed.

The fight was a big mess, I read to reread it a few times to understand what was going on

I thought it was one of the most straightforward fights I've seen in manga.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So, apparently it has barely anything at all to do with AoT, but it stands on its own as a great horror flick?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

teagone posted:

No, Eren almost gets raped by a single mother who asks him to be her daughter's father. Said attempted rape is interrupted by a titan attack.

The gently caress?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Krinkle posted:

You're all talking about the tv show right? There wasn't a new issue?

There's a new issue out.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nelson Mandingo posted:

In chapter 70, Marlo is excited and talking about how they're going to beat the titans and "The titans are like paper before the might of that spear." and in chapter 72 when everyone is freaking out about the meat one of the new recruits says to another "You're no good with the spear. It's not like you'll be doing anything."

So one of the new weapons they have is a "spear". It probably has something to do with the stabilizers on their arms. Eren even was talking about how they've been using his titan body to develop weapons.

They probably found a way to fire gas-powered spears made from his titan flesh that can pierce their necks.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I'm confused, how is the Armored Titan still active and able to roar? Reiner got his loving head blown off. Did "Zeke" assume direct control of his titan, which now lacks a pilot since Reiner is (I assume?!?!?!?) very much dead? Is the implication supposed to be that it can still roar via remote control, but it's probably out of the picture for good in terms of being able to move and fight?

It looks as though his brainstem is still intact. That might allow the titan to still have very, very basic function if you stretch your imagination a little bit.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think some people have spent too much time on the Netflix and the Twittervine, and no longer have the attention span for reading manga. Now I made myself sad.

You can't really evaluate the pacing of a work while it's being published. It has to be looked at after it's completed to see how each part plays out relative to the entirety of the story.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Blue Balls: The Manga

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Terper posted:

I dunno it just feels like his story isn't really over yet.

I feel like that would apply to most abruptly dead people.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sub Harrison posted:

I don't totally mind Armin living after sacrificing himself for Eren, cause it's a nice throwback to the first chapters when we thought Eren was dead. Also Erwin's death for humanity was a fitting end to his character's arc. Armin's was a little gay.

It's dumb because there isn't any reason at all why he should be alive. Even when considering in-universe rules, he was totally cooked and dead.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not sure how fast being burnt all over kills you. I know that you definitely die from it, of course, but I don't know if it's the sort of thing that would cause you to die in just a few minutes (which is the amount of time between Armin getting cooked and the present). Maybe it's possible he could still technically be alive, even if he's totally immobile and in the process of dying.

The problem is that he wasn't just superficially burnt all over, he was completely roasted in superheated steam inside and out, stripping all of his skin off. If his organs weren't boiled in their own fluids, his lungs would have been completely scorched and he would suffocate in seconds.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So what? They're all being held prisoner by some tyrannical family while the world goes on relatively peacefully outside the walls? Is this North Korea?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

EvilTaytoMan posted:

So wait... does this mean that Mikasa isn't the only Asian left in the world? :v:

She's probably part of the remnants of some ethnic group that was wiped out during the period of racial cleansing.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Schwarzwald posted:

How'd you come to the conclusion that the people living in the ghetto where the nazis? :psyduck:

Because it's not clear whether the Eldians actually engaged in eugenics and ethnic cleansing prior to losing power to the Marleys.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Bluemillion posted:

If Grisha's account of the Marely has them at WW1 level tech, they could be on the way to WW2 era tech by now. We might see an atom bomb at some point.

It's not like technology progresses linearly. It's entirely possible that they will skip the atom bomb entirely and discover transistors first.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Schwarzwald posted:

Even if the historical Eldian's did engage in those practices, that would not make the current Eldian's "nazis."

People living in Germany today are not nazis just because their parents may have been.

I don't think anyone was actually alluding to that.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Eiba posted:

See:

Considering the modern Eldians to be Nazis and the Marley to be "not-Nazis" is really :psyduck: and only makes sense if you believe in blood sin stuff.

You really can't get much more Nazi than the Marley state.

What he's saying is if you consider the Eldians in the past to be the "Nazi" group and the past Marleys to be the "not-Nazis", the roles are now switched. He was agreeing it was hosed up that the persecuted are now the persecutors and vice-versa.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sub Harrison posted:

Translated Raws

http://fuku-shuu.tumblr.com/post/152852884367/shingeki-no-kyojinattack-on-titan-chapter-87

Quite a gruesome chapter. Eldians confirmed to be the only ones who are affected by titan powers. Mario Nazi get what he deserves.

That seems like an odd time to blow his cover.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Schwarzwald posted:

How nice of the translator to break up the dull chapter with some refreshing reaction images.

We might have later chapters from the Owl's perspective--his titan power looks to be the same one that Grisha and Eren have, which means that Eren might have his memories as well.

Ah, good catch!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Archenteron posted:

So would the true name be the Attack-On Titan?

I think a more sensible intended interpretation would be Persevering Titan

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Kassad posted:

I don't think Isayama is a fascist, but it seems pretty clear to me that most of the characters in the military are hardcore militarists and/or fascists (blurry boundaries between the two...). It doesn't matter that they're motivated by the existential threat of the titans.

Out of curiosity, why do you think the blatant existential threat is irrelevant? All forms of government have advantages and disadvantages, and their militarist views are possibly adaptive in this specific scenario. The reason why fascism is so frowned upon is that it is incompatible with the value systems that most of us hold. That doesn't mean it's a completely ineffective method of governance. I think the context is definitely important here. It's not like anyone is going to ask the characters, "Would you support democracy if we weren't regularly being eaten alive by giants?"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Say Nothing posted:

I've been calling this thing the Hillary Clinton titan since I first saw it.

It actually kinda looks like your avatar.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wouldn't it make sense for the manga to be mostly over before we start drawing conclusions about the specifics of its political stances? Right now it could still go a lot of ways.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Captain Invictus posted:

What if...both are good, and don't need to be better than the other

Why can't you just see things in black and white? We don't need any of your namby pamby complexity up in here.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wait, wasn't it mentioned that the Titans are really, really light for their size? That would probably make them ineffective for a kinetic bombardment.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Conspiratiorist posted:

Did a decent job of explaining why Grisha made Eren a titan without telling him anything.

There's an interesting ethical dilemma in there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

comedyblissoption posted:

Do you think bertholdt was partly chosen as the colossal titan because your own physical features determine the power of the transformation and he was tall? If so, armin is gonna be a tiny colossal titan.

Maybe it's the other way around. The user takes on some characteristics of their titan.