Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
This looks like a really unusual concept for a manga. I'm definitely reading this!

Though I have to admit the first thing I thought of when I read the OP was "Ok, so is this The Troll Hunter: The Manga?" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I've just read this in the entirety of the chapters scanlated so far and I must say, this is an amazing story! The story is so engrossing, detailed enough to be fulfilling, fast-paced enough such that it never drags, always leaving more tantalizing details unfilled so that there's more to look forward to. Though I cannot shake the lasting feeling of doom that pervades the story -- the scene where most of Eren's team, who had seemed to be set up to be "The Team", were slaughtered wholesale, was pretty horrifying -- the moments where they win always come back to give us a little hope.

I want to echo the comments about Mikasa resembling Alita. She's a dead-eyed rappelling Alita! They resemble each other in their acrobatic fighting styles used against opponents many times their size, and the fact that they both use dual blades. Awesome and spectacular.

What I most look forward to is, someday, seeing Mikasa riding to battle on the shoulders of Eren the Giant. That would just about make my day. :swoon:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Coldbird posted:

This is an interesting book, though I have difficulty believing that humans would go for such an elaborate and obviously difficult system as this whole high-speed rope combat thing when we have such a well-established track record of building better guns... it would be one thing if there were no cannons in the story, but it just stretches disbelief that they'd rely on this whole rope brigade thing when they could just learn to aim better.

The art also really kind of sucked early on, but the artist is picking up something like a style quickly. If you look at the faces on the first few pages, you start to think that everyone looks just as bizarre and psycho as the titans... but later on he goes way past that.

Still well over the 'worth reading' threshold despite all of the above

How do you "aim better" when the sensitive spot is the neck of a giant who is moving towards you?

I suppose one could conceive of a plan where we encircle the giant, attracting them with bait and then shooting them from behind. Or if they had homing missiles.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hmm. I still think that expecting cannons to win the day is a little silly. But here's something I thought of - Why not just use very large swinging blades, lowered on ropes? With a cannon it's hit-or-miss, but say you could lower a very large blade, parallel to the ground, and sharpened on both sides, suspended on either end with a rope. Then, when the giant approaches, have the blade swing inwards towards you. The blade will slice cleanly through the back of the neck.

Of course, this still poses the same problem as cannons: they're static defenses. I believe that the harnesses were developed to be devices they could use while actually in the field, outside the wall.

Though that poses the question: why not use the jumping harnesses as just a mobility device, and use them to set up a trap wherein the giant would stumble into a neck-level string of blades, like a giant garrote wire, rather than jumping down and engaging them with swords?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Apropos to the guy who questioned the logic of having wide avenues and ornate windows in a context where humanity is being stalked by giants, I have another point to bring up: why live in lowland cities at all? It seems like a huge target, a big city surrounded by farmland in an area of rolling, verdant hills. In our history, Himalayan, Andean, and other mountain-dwelling peoples developed advanced mountainside agriculture, making it clear that it is entirely possible to dwell atop some of the highest mountains in the world. The natural defensive attributes afforded by life atop mountains seems like they'd be a natural choice for a world besieged by giants, since it would make it difficult for them to clamber up -- it'd be like natural walls! Plus, cliffside dwellings and caves have been used by humanity since time immemorial to hide from invasions and attacks, it seems unusual that they'd choose to live in low ground, rather than taking advantage of naturally defensive terrain.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I've found some cool fanart!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Well, I spent a while reworking the translation. About half was retyped and the other half was ye olde fashioned moving the letters around.

Anyway, if it's bad I'll just take it down again. Here's a download link. I think it's worth reading? :ohdear:

Some mild critique: Next time, with those very vertical speech bubbles, just make the text a bit smaller, insert dashes "-" where you have to break up letters, and try to stroke the outlines of the words with white where they overlap the edges. It's a little bit better than turning the text 90 degrees so it's vertical. Also, try to keep the words in the center -- I noticed this on pg 17, where the text was in the top left corner of the speech bubble in panel 3.

Still-- very nice work!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Feriowind posted:

Oh man, this manga is AWESOME! Though I do kinda wish I found out about this after it was finished. The wait for the next chapter is gonna be absolute torture!

Well, here's some fanart that I drew since Titan Eren is loving amazing!

eren titan by feriowind, on Flickr

This is great! Oh man, I love how you did the steam, it looks like one of those old-time Chinese ink prints. Can you draw Mikasa next?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Why are they not blushing? They should be blushing, darn it! Otherwise, what is the point of a anime body pillow??!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I really like Potato Girl. She's the spacey oddball, the Osaka of the group. :3:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Schubalts posted:

I like this page. She just looks so content.

She does! I also love Mikasa's relationship with her. It seems like Mikasa knows just how to interact with a person like that. :geno::hf::downs:

I think that she's what this managa needed. Someone to bring in a little humor, a little levity. It combines nicely with the style of this story, because the drawings look so serious and everyone looks so frightened all the time. It's "Serious Humor".

Edit: Heehee!

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/12/15

"...? Is that a... 'Why do people eat potatoes' kind of question?" :confused:

So profound...! And then she gives him half the potato! Aww. What's not to love about that. I hope she doesn't get eaten. And I wonder when that "intuition" of hers is going to come into play in battle. Or maybe it'll turn out she's, like, a titan or something. A mini-titan with the mind of a human.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 4, 2011

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Good God. This manga is so good at building up a sense of hope, it seemed like things would go so well with their formation at the beginning, and now everyone's split up and being crushed like so many tiny insects by this invincible intelligent female titan. That hopeful feeling is fading fast now.

I'm in despair! I don't know which of the characters that we've grown to love is going to die next. :smith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I wonder where the Titans even go at night, though? Do they just sort of lie down and go into "hibernate"? Do they stop moving and stand still, like solar-powered robots? Do they return to the forest? They've never even been shown attacking at night, have they?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, they could go with the whole fall of civilization thing and after several thousand years mankind is at the brink of extinction. It be silly though if the manga took that rout and has the scout crew reach the ruins of tokyo or whatever.

"Ah god drat it! You ate it all up, didn't you? Ah god drat you all to hell!"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

"Advance of Giants" has now been licensed. The official English title apparently is "Attack on Titan". I think I'd prefer "Attack on Titans", Advance of the Titans/Giants" or the other one Crunchyroll called it, "Giant's March", but whatever.

Still good news, gonna buy the poo poo out of the volumes.

That's a silly name, and sounds incredibly, unbelievably, more Engrishy than "Advance of the Titans". Even "March of the Titans" would be better. "Attack on Titan" reminds me of one of those bargain-bin sci-fi pulp novels with the garish covers with red and orange block letters for the fonts.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

LordMune posted:

well,

it's always been the english title

Huh! I had never noticed that! Wow... I guess one can't argue with the Author. Still, I can't help but think of something like this:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Elysiume posted:

New chapter.

God DAMNIT!! :negative:

Every time we have a victory, we move forward a little, they get set back again! Ow, this is so depressing and painful to read!! Haha.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

New chapter!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 11, 2011

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Haha. I just imagined a couple of sinewy muscley giants doing arm bars on each other. There's just something slightly absurd about that notion!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mikasa's look of determination and cold anger in this page was really excellent. You really can feel a sense of deep emotion boiling from inside. And as always, I love the action sequences - he's got a talent for making them seem so vivid and alive. Whoosh!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, it clearly, like, sucks up all her chakra or something. :ssj:

To counter this, Eren must learn the name of his inner giant and go bankai.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/14/29
:laffo:

Aaaaah, Sasha is the best character. I wish we'd see more of her.

EDIT: Sasha gets flustered and then Mikasa calms her down by jamming a loaf of bread in her mouth. D'awww! :3:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mikasa's face pretty much exactly mirrors my reaction to that last page. Jesus Christ. That thing is totally gonna look at Mikasa and bust out, isn't it? :ohdear:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

How much of the dialog is terrible due to rough translation vs bad dialog at the source? I cringed at "Sasha farted"

Aw, what? C'mon. The joke is that Sasha is a spacey dimwit who gets picked on by the most :geno: member of the cast. It's not like she actually farted, it's a character joke.

Well, different humor for different stripes, but it's not a literal-fart joke if that's what made you cringe.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I could not help but notice it. It's a really nice way of reusing an action from a flashback. A really great chapter overall.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ahahahaha! :laffo:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/12/17

This is sooooo much funnier for the fact that this manga is so dark and serious most of the time, so it comes completely unexpected.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

gently caress. gently caress. Those guys in the tower are completely doomed. :( They're such neat dudes too, I don't want them to die, even though I don't know any of their names. Also, it's incredible how terrifying the small titans are in confined spaces. The manga had mostly concentrated on the large ones up till now, but drat if the little ones haven't had their time in the sun in this chapter.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Pierson posted:

Advance of the Titans: Your Favourite Character May Die

To be more precise-- emotionally I don't want them to die, but I have been steeling myself this time to see more decent ordinary folks kick the bucket. It's kind of a morbid "stare-at-the-roadkill" thing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Chapter 40.

They should just change the title of this manga to Holy poo poo, because you say it every time you read a chapter.

Goddamnit. Gerger and Nanaba. Those poor guys. :smith: That was so tragic, especially with that bottle being empty.

On the other hand, looking at the bottom corner of the cover, it's nice to see Choujin Gakuen still running. :woop:

EDIT: Wow! Ymir! You guys were totally right about her being another titan-transformer person!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 9, 2012

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

davidHalestorm posted:

Oh, by the way, that empty bottle thing is just cruel . Bit of an extremely dark humor, there.

Not to be pedantic, but the term is actually "dramatic irony". :eng101:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Niccy Bones posted:

Do the scanlations really need -san and sempai in them?

I think it's okay or at least tolerable in a Japanese setting, but it's totally egregious in any other setting, like this one. It outright pissed me off when I saw some scanlations for Vinland Saga putting honorifics in, it's like, "C'mon man, they're loving VIKINGS for Chrissake!"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It is all just a very large and complex social experiment, taking place in a walled-off preserve or artificial island about 1000 km square. Civilization continues apace outside, as some sort of high-tech futuristic society, either beyond the confines of the experiment zone, or in outer space, watching from above.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Melt down a cannon and make some very large brass knuckles.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Attack on Titan Thread: Giant MMA League

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I've got it, you guys!! Mikasa is actually a full-body cyborg, which explains how she crushed a knife handle just by gripping it, and the reason why she's so good at fighting Titans is because she has secret memories of a martial art developed specifically for cyborgs to take out larger opponents! It all makes sense!! :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Eren's father is actually a mad scientist. That's why he's got hosed-up body-melting transforming powers!

... eerie how much that makes sense. :psyduck:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So what are the Titans? Delinquents who totally are too big to be in middle school but are anyway?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hahaha! The thing that makes the gag with Sasha work sooooo well is Mikasa calming her down by just stuffing some food in her mouth. And she does it in such a casual and deliberate way too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

What if the wall-titans and the human-titans are actually guarding against an even worse threat, that posed by the inhuman titans and things like the Sasquatch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I hope they don't do the ~anime~ thing and make her some kind of genetically-engineered anti-titan fighting human weapon. That angle is so overplayed. AoT has been great about not being cliche, however, so I'm hopeful that that's not the case.

Oh my gosh, I loved this chapter's scene where Mikasa and Armin got their spirit back. Mikasa's look of pure determination... :swoon: Amazing.