Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'd say that 4 would be the single most jawdropping revelation. All of the other things were surprising, shocking even, but nothing came out of the left field, nothing was so thoroughly, existentially terrifying, as the appearance of that talking monkey-titan. I think that all the other revelations seemed to "fit" in the world somehow. Bert and Ernie being titans, for example, fit insofar as we'd seen people (like Eren and Annie) turning into Titans before.

Up until the monkey titan, there existed a clear boundary between humans and titans that existed, even though there were "piloted" titans, as they still had a human consciousness operating behind them. The titans were mindless creatures, the humans were sentient. When it appeared, and demonstrated not human emotion, or mindless hunger, but a cold, dispassionate, inhuman fascination and intelligence, that struck me with a sense of profound terror and awe.

All of a sudden there is truly something out there, an intelligence unlike that of man's, but possessed of powers beyond comprehension and motivated pure amoral curiosity. That came out of the left field because it was utterly, utterly unpresaged by anything else in the story up til then that we could relate to.

It is haunting, and terrifying.

Seriously, that monkey titan can go eat a dick. He's what nightmares are made of!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think all the characters are equally flat and one-note. That's okay with me, because the lure here isn't the ~Rich Character Drama~, it's the fascinating plot full of twists and turns and the superbly drawn hyperkinetic action. Mikasa is a titan-killing Terminator, Eren is Luffy or Ichigo in a world gone terribly wrong, everyone else plays their respective roles. That's fine! I really like seeing a female character in such an awesome role, but she's not any more or less "deep" than anyone else.

EDIT: I think that the reason why both sides are accusing the other of "grasping at straws" is because both sides are grasping at straws here. It's like arguing over whether or not a puddle on the floor is deep or not.

And, if you want an example of truly rich, complex, empowered female characters, one need only look to Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Nausicaa and Kushana are some of the best-written female characters in any manga I've ever read, and they're truly inspiring characters who play an active role in shaping the destiny of their world. No one in AoT can really compare to their growth and richness as characters.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 22, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

I hope the secret in Eren's dad's basement is Mikasa's cheerful, happy-go-lucky twin sister, Sukasa.

They are actually the same person. :ssh:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

If she uses the numbers in a lottery, she'll win big, but it'll cause mysterious disasters to befall everyone she holds dear.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

They should open the basement only to find a teeny tiny little city surrounded by walls. They initially think it's a model, but upon close inspection, it's filled with tiny tiny little people barely even a millimeter tall. They are being beset by titans no larger than a centimeter tall. As they lean in in horror, one of the tiny people points up and says: "Up in the sky! Look there! Isn't that Eren and Mikasa, from the Recon Corps?!"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Aww :(

I was kind of hoping that Hannes would continue to throw up every death flag in the book and yet somehow, mysteriously, defy all expectations and conventions and continue to live till the end of the series. It would've been neat.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

The translations are pretty bad but that's not a mistranslation. The original is zahyou (座標), which is coordinate as in the x/y, latitude/longitude sort.

What does that even mean, though? Why and how, exactly, would Eren "have" a coordinate? :psyduck:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Crystalline Z sounds like a handle or something. So I guess she's the DJ at the hella tight Titan-only nightclub, where all the coolest Titan shifters hang out.
EDIT:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mary Annette posted:

It's all in the hips. More than strength, more than skill, it is :slick: that makes a true soldier of the Scouting Legion.

Everyone in the Scouting Legion knows how to twerk it like it ain't no thang.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I'm not sure about this one, though, or else why would have Mikasa's Asian ancestors have fled all the way to be holed up in a few walls in Germany?

Maybe they just happened to be living in Germany? Germany is not just full of white folks, it is an international country nowadays!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The only Japanese letter I recognize after all these years of reading manga is "あ", and I only learned that because of Azumanga Daioh. It means "Ah", and shonen manga love to use it for screaming!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Wow, Isayama's first one shot looks almost like it was drawn by the original author of OnePunch Man. He's improved so much!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

From CubeWatermelon's blog:

EDIT:

What do you guys think about the overall tone of this series? Pessimistic or optimistic? I've been having this conversation with a friend of mine as of late, and he seems to think that the series is depressing and headed towards a tragic ending. I think he's wildly misreading it, however, because I see it as a dark and realistic, but ultimately hopeful. I think there'll be a good ending, where Eren and humanity overcomes the Titans eventually, because the story has been generally one of gradual advancement and progress. Even though there's been setbacks, humanity seems to progress forwards overall.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 22, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Taser Gator posted:

Zombie stories typically are fascist narratives. They allow the audience to fantasize, guilt free, about being Randian Ubersmench and killing off all poor people and minorities who hold them back. This is why zombies are so popular with white middle class male libertarian reddit types. The same thing is true with orks and bug aliens who nerds also love to kill so much.

So what video games do you like to play? Because that pretty much rules out every fantasy RPG, every sci fi strategy and FPS game.

I guess that leaves... simulators and puzzles.

EDIT: Wait no, SimCity presents a parable of the idealized, sanitized, white suburban middle-class utopia, while Cities In Motion is a nightmare of totalitarianism as it challenges the player to make the trains run on time!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 29, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

CountingWizard posted:

I hate 99% of anime and mange due to repetitive tropes, overly simplistic plot, shallow character archetypes, and generic art-style; but this is probably the first anime I've watched that I've completely enjoyed. As a non-ADTRW poster, what else would you guys recommend to read/watch? I tried the latest Berserk movie (Golden Egg), and I thought it was was too slow and homoerotic, plus the art style overly relied on 3d models and was ugly as balls.

Don't worry, we hate 99% of anime and manga because of that too! Fun fact -- most anime and manga are generic terrible poo poo for otakus.

You might want to try Full Metal Alchemist or Claymore for mangas. If you don't mind a cutesy art style (but the plot gets quite dark in an Attack on Titan way), you could try watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

We've got a whole thread which would be more than happy to recommend you stuff.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Aww, poor Historia. So she's basically the illegitimate child of a mistress, and is treated as nothing more than human garbage. I hate seeing child abuse, it's just so sad. :smith: That lord dude had better get eaten by a Titan or I'm gonna be pissed!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

"We go outside before we're stabbed in the back, or we exterminate whoever wants to stab us in the back, then go outside." "We'll do both at the same time." More fuel for the argument about fascism, I guess. :v:

What does that mean, though, doing both at once? That line was really confusing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Titans are like the new Cylons, aren't they?

Any one of us could be a secret Titan, and not even realize it!!

:ohdear:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

How dare Isayama malign real-life child murderers with such twisted caricatures! Why, a child murderer who read this chapter could have his feelings seriously hurt by such a shallow portrayal!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The twists in the plot didn't seem cliche to me, they seemed surprising, fresh, tense, and interesting.

But maybe I'm just an idiot who is "Bad At Reading Fiction"?? :(

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That's the key to defeating the Monkey Titan? Going "Skadoosh"?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Giant Killing. :v:

In weird news:

Attack on Titan-themed perfume line

http://www.capsulecomputers.asia/2013/09/smell-like-a-giant-killing-soldier-with-attack-on-titan-perfume/

quote:

The world of Anime and Manga is indeed a strange and scary one, especially when huge series’, much like Attack On Titan, decide to move into merchandising with what seems like no boundaries as to what they want or are willing to do. Well it has just been announced that three different perfumes are to be released, each of which reflect on a certain character from the hit Anime and Manga Attack On Titan. “Finally!” I screamed as I read this news “I can cloud myself in the smell of blood and iron! The ladies will love it!”, I’m sure I wasn’t the only one though. This is absolutely true by the way, the company making it has already said that the fragrances will be based on Eren, Mikasa and the crowd favourite Levi. Each are to have their own individual and unique scents.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 27, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The thing that always always cheesed me off about this series is the one detail early on where they illustrated how futile it is to try to blow the titans' heads off with cannons. I think I'd have been fine with the conceit of having dudes swinging around Spiderman-style killing titans with fancy swords, if they didn't have guns and cannons. That chapter showed titans getting their heads clearly blown off. With a blow that's big enough to take the head off cleanly from the base of the neck, you'd imagine that it'd be enough to take out the person inside the neck in the area where they typically chop.

Aside from that, one also wonders why they haven't devised some sort of system of ropes, trip-wires, and suspended guillotine blades to take out the titans. Or, if they are capable of making compressed air-powered grappling hooks, why they don't simply shoot great harpoons on ropes at the titans, drag them down, and slay them while they are incapacitated on the ground?

My point being is that humans are terrifically creative at thinking up ways to kill things that are bigger, stronger and faster than they are. Our Ice-age ancestors were hunting mammoths and other gigantic Pleistocene creatures, armed with only pointy sticks and fire. It seems trivial for people at a 19th century level of technological development to fight creatures that average only 5-15m tall.

Really it sort of starts to fall apart when you give it a moment's thought.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 31, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

blankd posted:

I'd say it's because they don't have the luxury of lone Titans and the lack of predictability is what hinders a lot of their ability to kill things. I feel the comparison is also not the same since animals are more prone to being afraid of humans, Titans are not.

However what seems FAR more likely to me isn't so much "why don't they" but rather that there is intentional suppression of information, and given the deal with the nature of the walls and what the beast titan thought the 3D gear was amusing technology, I would not be surprised at all if that crippled weapon competency is not that they can't, but that there would be worse consequences for using weapons with more firepower.

EDIT: I suggest suppression of information since I'm sure someone would have tried making flight gear at some point since 3D gear isn't TOO far off from that.

Hm, that's an interesting thought there, and might tie back into one of the theories I've been nursing since early on in my reading of the comic-- that it's all an artificial system somehow, that the entire situation is either an experiment or intentionally created for some reason.

A thought: If they were really a defensive society -- i.e., with the impetus for creating and retreating behind the walls in the first place -- you would imagine that the cities would be laid out in a less open and conventional way. I would imagine the whole society would be designed along defensive lines, with high stone walls and enfilades to channel and manipulate a Titan attack into a narrow space where they could easily be dispatched. One could even imagine people building underground warrens and tunnels, a whole society dwelling underground. You could build buildings quite close together, and have emergency nets and ropes to string up in between the houses. You could build most houses very low to the ground, and made of stone or concrete, with steel doors. There's a lot of ways to go about it!

Yet we don't see any of these very simple ideas that anyone would have thought up at first hand if they considered such a situation. That, and the Wall Cult, the Wall Titans, the bemusement of the Monkey Titan, and the sheer artifice of the whole thing, leads me to suspect that it's all intentionally set up for some nefarious purpose. A good comparison is how we found out in Claymore how the whole island, the whole world that the story had taken place in up till then, was just a testing-ground for human weapons.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Made me think: since he cant get hardened, why not just have him pile some big rocks there or something to close the hole in the wall

They should just give him a really huge wheelbarrow and set him to work mixing up a ton of concrete and patching up the wall with a gigantic bricklayer's trowel. If only so we get to see Eren titan wearing a yellow construction helmet. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Pensive posted:

"In that form, you could easily build a castle."

Foreshadowing?

The "Building A Castle Arc" will definitely become this manga's "Protagonist Takes Up Farming" arc.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Jackard posted:

One of the infodumps described blade production and the black box within the 3DMG to be a high guarded secret

Wait, there's a black box inside the 3DMG? This comes as a surprise to me! Where did they mention that?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Missing Name posted:

Another interview with Isayama. He thinks he might have made Mikasa "a bit overpowered."

I lied, it's just SoT Part 12.

Man, Spoof on Titan is like the only 4-koma manga besides Azumanga Daioh that I've ever found actually funny.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Missing Name posted:

Onmyoji Adventures!

"Our purpose is to explore the possibilities of business beyond the walls of society! Let's survey new markets!"

I would be fine reading a spinoff entirely based on this premise.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

At the risk of sounding a bit :catdrugs::2bong:, do you suppose that since there's humans who can turn into Titans, there might possibly be Titans who can turn into humans? Maybe Ape Escape isn't a Titan-shifting human at all, but rather a human-shifting Titan!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

How many nicknames does he have by now??

Magilla Gorilla
Ape Escape
Grape Ape
Monkey Trouble

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm not sure who else does this, since I'm fairly certain that a large number of manga-readers ended up watching the anime too, but as someone who's only read the manga, I tend to imagine my own voice cast for the cast. In my mind, somehow, Levi always sounded like Dante Basco-- the guy who played Zuko in Avatar: The Last Airbender. I dunno, something about the guy always struck me as sounding kind of gravelly yet higher-pitched.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It would be really funny if they opened up the basement, only to find stuff like packed boxes from their old house, furniture nobody needs, dad's tools, the baby clothes that grandma keeps giving every year even though the kids aren't babies anymore, workout equipment, and so forth.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Aww, Bertholdt is such a mild-mannered guy. :unsmith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

What the hell did Gorilla Monsoon Titan eat?

Legendary Zoan Devil Fruit: Giant Ape Subtype.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

This is much better than planking! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I just read my local library's copy of "Attack on Titan Junior High", and it's actually decently silly light comedic fluff! I was thinking "Oh man, what is this? This is gonna be cringeworthy!" but it's not bad. And the adaptation is really good too, it's more of a naturalistic localization than a word-for-word translation.