Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Man, those first two volumes felt like a prologue to me. Mainly because people kept dying left and right and we're not sure who's going to be the main characters, yet (except for Erin and Mikasa, obviously). Now, it seemed that we've got a bunch of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, that's what I meant. If you can survive an all-out war on your first day as a soldier, you're probably going to be pretty hard to put down, even in a manga like this.

I missed the fact that most of the soldiers fighting were all trainees when I first read through. No wonder, they panicked and not very effective at all.

and yeah, Jean is definately still alive. He's the dude that want's a cushy job as a policeman but changed his mind in the end

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Does anyone else think that Rivaille is being set up to die? I mean, he's the most badass character so far, able to take out multiple regular Titans with ease. Wouldn't put it past this manga to make him sort of the Kamina to Eren's Simon, so to speak.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Mindblast posted:

I'm getting the feeling the whole reason they are out there is to oust/get clues on who/what the traitors are. Didn't the sentient titan appear on a flank where one of the maps said Eren would be?

Oh, almost definitely. Commander Irvin is really smart guy. He realized immediately, after the two captured Titans were killed, that there's an infiltrator. Remember, when he talked to the new recruits he revealed the fact that they were going to Eren house's basement. Everyone was wondering why he would revealed something like that to the newbies and now we know, to lure out the infiltrator. He even asked Eren if he noticed anything unusual during the same scene

By the way, the most unnerving thing about this manga is the shorts that they wear, grown men shouldn't wear those things indoors :colbert:

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
They actually come to that conclusion a few chapters ago. The moment that they saw that Eren is able to transform into a Titan, they immediately assume that the Colossal Titan and the Armour Titan worked the same way since they appeared out of nowhere.

As for the latest chapter, loving love the way Hanji freaked out when she saw Eren transform into a titan for the first time. My completely dumb and unfounded specualtion on the identity of the female Titan is that it's Anne, the kicking girl. On the basis that she's a woman and an excellent hand to hand fighter

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Don't forget the fact that armored skin might be something you can learn to do when you're a Titan. Eren might benefit from that, considering whoever the enemy is, they can attack as humans or as Titans

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
You know, that's a good point. When Eren first transformed, didn't he kill a lot of the lesser Titans with a few boxing moves?

Despite everything that happened, I'm confident that Eren will be to pull through, despite all the disadvantages. I mean, that's kind of his thing. Getting eaten the first time he fought a Titan didn't stop him after all.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 13, 2011

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Dang, so Eren hasn't learned how to heal himself at all in Titan form. Was hoping he managed to learn that little trick at some point and that will be enough of an advantage against a far more skilled opponent. The only hope now at this point is for Eren to wake up and go Titan again, inside of her

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
^^^

Eren said it himself, the right time to battle the female Titan is when Rivaille was there with him. All the things you said might have happened, instead of him getting his rear end-kicked and kidnapped like this.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Ah c'mon, it's not that bad. I mean, Eren's alive and well and so's Mikasa, Rivialle and the newbies Heroes always bounce back, right? :smith:

EDIT

Also, the way Rivialle dealt with the female titan should be the standard when dealing with intelligent Titans. Slash the poo poo out of them, retreat, let it regenerate then go in again, instead of going straight for the neck, which works against regular Titans. Of course you gotta move as fast as Rivialle so...

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 10, 2012

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Lamebot posted:

Considering the tone of the manga I wouldn't be surprised that they would make her quadriplegic the moment they somehow restrain her.

There's also the fact that this chapter made a point that "good" and "evil" is a relative term. So expect some hideously complex motivation and/or plot twist.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Any chance at all that Eren managed to put Annie down with that hit? 'Cause it looks he crushed her neck area with a single hit on page 43

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
was that a Titan corpse hidden in the "holy walls"? Welp, another "fact" about the Titans that turns out to be completely wrong

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I don't her last move had anything to do with the giant appearing. Annie just ripped out the exact spot (by coincidence?) where the Titan in the wall's face is located. The likeliest explanation is that it's been there the whole time. Whether alive or not, we'll find out in the next chapter, I suspect.

I think that Annie did shell thing to prevent herself being interrogated. She has made a lot of enemies, after all

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 11, 2012

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I think that's because they're too far from Eren and the rest of the Scouting Legion, which of course brings the obvious question why they didn't have a relay signal system like the soldiers guarding the Great Wall of China, for example. All of this sorts of details kind of reinforced the idea that the wall isn't there to protect humanity but to control like some of the posters here speculated.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
This chapter ended with a note of hope. No way that will get crushed next time, right?

vvv

Alca posted:

This manga is soooooo good why is it not updated more often?

It's a monthly, dude. We've been getting a chapter a month since this thread is started, if I'm not mistaken.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 12, 2012

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Man, the last few chapters ever since the conclusion of the Annie fight has been build-ups. Where are Mikasa, Eren and Armin at this point in the story? I find it hard to keep track of all the characters' location in city even with all the maps for some reason.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 11, 2012

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I guess we'll find out soon enough if Reiner is human-titan or not as some people here as speculated, if he can regenerate that massive wound on his arm that will mean he's definitely is one

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
In a future anime thread, there's bound to be people who never read the manga before,I really want to read their reaction when Eren got "killed" by a random, scrub Titan he tried to fight, after pages of him swearing to be the best Titan killer ever. That scene sets the tone of the manga for me.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Gyges posted:

So given Ymir's little monologue, it seems to me that Ymir was an actual titan who found a way/was always able to take human form. Which is different from titanform humans like Annie and Eren. Assuming the secondary flashback to Bertholdt and Reiner's childhood is accurate, Ymir was a titan who was part of the first invasion when the outermost wall fell. Considering human Ymir appears to be the same age as the rest of the rookie scouts, it seems rather unlikely that he was a child their age who transformed into a rampaging Titan.

Alternatively Ymir is the black sheep of a family like Annie's, and the titan from Bertholdt and Reiner's flashback is Ymir's mother/older sister/other family member.

Could this be why Sasquatch Titan ambushed them, or was it just happenstance and he didn't know?

Well, when Eren first transformed into a Titan, he operated on pure instinct with no conscious thought but he didn't attacked any humans, just the other Titans. But maybe that's due to his deep-seated hatred against the Titans from watching his mother get killed in front of him. So, it's possible that Ymir is a human turned titan that attacked other humans just because of that mysterious Titan impulse to attack any humans they meet . Oh, by the way, that empty bottle thing is just cruel . Bit of an extremely dark humor, there.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 9, 2012

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Not to be pedantic, but the term is actually "dramatic irony". :eng101:

Ah, of course, but it's still cruel and funny at the same time. Speaking of the anime, they might go with the FMA route of making a completely different story than the manga.

One more thing from the chapter Christa is revealed to be some kind of exiled noblewoman from an important house and that Christa isn't even her real name. Can't wait to see how that plot thread play out

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
but Ymir called her Christa and then asked her to not be ashamed of her real identity in exchange for Ymir revealing her Titan nature. The flashback cut off before we see Christa replied That's why I thought that Christa is not her real name . This manga keeps flashing to the boot camp and the present time so forgive me, if I got confused.

EDIT

VVV

Dude needs his rest. He's been trolling humanity for the last two chapters now. :haw:

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 10, 2012

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Annie is the best-trained titan 'pilot' we've seen so far, and pulled all sorts of crazy poo poo. Neither Eren nor Ymir seem to be quite in her league.

Yup, Annie have enough stamina to transform from human to Titan, multiple times in the same day, focusing her regeneration one spot at a time, and skin hardening. Ymir and Eren don't seem to able any of that. Side note, I told you Christa wasn't her real name, :smug:

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

At the same time, I feel like it would be completely fitting in this manga for the chapter to end on an I-can-die-happy-now eyes closing scene only for her to survive in the next chapter. But then again, that would mean she might exposition fairy away some mystery, and that can't happen, so she's gotta die.

Yeah, the zombie apocalypse scenario is looking a lot more likely from the last half dozen chapters.

Ah c'mon, you can't blame Reiner for being slightly out of it, he just found out that the Titan who killed his family (intentionally or not) turned out to be someone he knew. To me, the reason he squeezed Christa leg like that since he's irrationally pissed at her for hiding the fact that Ymir is a Titan, even though Christa didn't know

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Thoren posted:

Hate to break it to you buddy, but I'm pretty sure Bertholdt is mincemeat right now.

Do we know why the titans want Eren so badly?

Berthold is still alive, he grabbed Ymir while Reyner grabbed Eren. But I do agree with you that Mikasa hardly going to back down from a fight with a 50 foot monster. I got the feeling that Berthodt is slow as hell compared to other Human-Titans, judging from the fact that even Eren was able to attached a line on him, all the way back near the beginning. Also, holding out hope that Rivaille is lurking somewhere nearby

I'm sure it has to do with that drat basement and Eren's dad.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Berthold is not a 50 foot monster; he's a 60 meter monster, about 200 feet.

For reference, that's as tall as two Giant Robos.

Oops, I meant to write meters instead of feet. Yeah, that's the size of skyscrapers, Eren's titan form is "only" 15 meters, a dwarf in comparison. So, here's hoping Berthold is nowhere near as agile and fast as Annie was

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
To be fair, they are child soldiers, so they're "innocent" to a certain extent and the flashback that we've shown of Ymir attacking their family bound to complicate matter further. But you're right, a lot of people have died due to their actions, including Eren's mother. That's the reason why Eren simply cannot forgive them.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
The Trost battle also showcased how badass Mikasa was. Not only, did she survived her first Titan battle, she killed dozens of them before running out of gas. The only reason she was close to death was because she gave up when she learns that Eren was "dead".

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Schubalts posted:

Edward got beaten up a lot because while he was a cyborg Alchemy prodigy, he was still a middle schooler, going up against trained adults and nigh-immortal monsters.

Ed and friends also managed to figure out the big bad of the series evil plan and thwart him at practically the last second. Whether or not Eren and friends can do the same, remains to be the same, unfortunately :( .

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I love how completely cracked Reiner is now. "On the bright's side, the wall is still in one piece", hey rear end in a top hat, you and Bert are the only Titans so far that's capable of breaking through a wall, of course the wall's intact. I also still find it hilarious that at the most iconic Titan, the 50 metres Colossal Titan, of the series is a douchey teenager. Can't wait for the anime's thread reaction

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

Titan!Armin's face....I swear I've seen it somewhere before. This is going to bug me for a while.

Christa the Angel Titan made me laugh the most. Yes, more than Connie's Titan form being the same size as Connie is normally.

Maybe it's an Ao Oni reference? Armin's Titan form, I mean

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
There's also the fact that Reiner immediately went and yelled at Connie, telling him there's no time to stop and think, when Connie tried to tell him that the Titan looks like his mom.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

Same. It really takes the suspense when every cliffhanger is a fakeout.

Well, Kenny and Rod Reiss are both dead, so there's a good chance this isn't a fakeout

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
No real significance? Ape Titan is shaping up to be a primary antagonist. He has to know the secrets of Titanification and is clearly the leader of the warriors that is sent to destroy the walls. I am confused on how you can think this battle is just filler, I can understand not liking the pacing or whatever, but this battle seems to be the climax of this part of the story.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Monocled Falcon posted:

But were there really that many recruits in the first place? Perhaps they did some more recruiting and I just missed it, but aren't we just dealing with whoever wasn't a main character in the 104th training corps.

Anyway, it's still like if on Voyager in the middle of episode, someone ran onto the bridge and yelled that all the redshirts are dead, and this chapter has Janeway leading all the goldshirts to their deaths. And I say Voyagers specifically because it isn't even possible for the Survey Corps to go to a starbase and get more recruits.

BUT, I actually getting a little excited now, it was a clever trap and this plan is a clever way out of it. It blows Leloch and Inaho'a overly complicated micromanagement away.

Yeah, the Survey Corps is completely out-gunned by the Ape Titan and the best that Erwin can come up is a suicide charge and hope that Levi is baller enough to do a Smokin Sick Style aerial combos all the way to the Ape Titan. If the government didn't suppressed technologies like the airship balloons, maybe the situation won't be completely lopsided for the regular non-Shifter humans.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Yes, but like someone mentioned earlier, this is a monthly manga. This battle started, what, around chapter 73? Now it is chapter 80, it's only been around 7 chapters. It's just that 7 months has passed in real time and that's a significant amount of time. I honestly believe if people read these chapters back to back, the pacing will feel a lot better.

EDIT

For those people that really wanted to see the basement, so does Erwin. He's extremely frustrated that he's only a few meters (?) away from the basement and the answer he's been looking for since childhood, secrets that got his father killed and now there's a chance he'll die before getting to know anything.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 11, 2016

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I think this is the more relevant point. Attack on Titan has also been very deliberately paced, and has also made a point to focus on the thoughts and emotions of individual characters, often for pages at a time. These recent releases are no different in that regard.

Moreover, viewed on the whole, quite a lot has been happening. 20 chapters ago, Eren was about to sacrifice himself to Historia. 10 Chapters ago, the Survey Corps successfully overthrew the government. Now, they've reached Wall Maria.

I'm waiting for the shoe to drop on that plotline because we've seen that at least some of the people that is in charge of the new government are loving insane. Darius Zackly, for example

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
drat, Mikasa knows how to deliver action one-liners, first, it's, "Fall, Annie" and now, "Get Out, Reiner"

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I don't think so. It's also never been explained why Titan-Shifter's faction sent children to attack the walls and only now an adult warrior is sent to finish to job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
There's has to be other human civilizations out there besides the Mare and the Elodians, right? I wonder if there's other countries out there that's wants tp stay out of the shitstorm that's been going on between Mare and Elodia for centuries.