Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

This sounds pretty interesting, thanks for making the thread, I'll be sure to check it out when I have the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

PlayerOne posted:

Mangareader has chapters 10-13 translated, they are all just listed as chapter 10. The chapter 10 on somemanga is just a side chapter, i.e., not chapter 10.

Thanks for this, I'd been reading on SM and thought something was off about chapter 10.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

FallenGod posted:

I wish you could still reply with "what" without being banned.

Anyhow, this manga is really interesting, which guarantees it will either be cancelled early or never be fully translated.

It's apparently a best-seller in Japan, so all we've really got to worry about is nobody translating it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Your forgetting the third possibility, its too popular for its own good and the author is forced to extend the story well after it should have ended.

It had occurred to me, I'd just rather not think about it. Is there anybody familiar enough with the manga industry to know how often this happens? The only really popular monthly shonen that comes to mind is Fullmetal Alchemist, and they seemed to let that end gracefully. Then again, FMA had already been running for a long time when it ended, and there's no guarantee the author of this intends for the story to be that long.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ArchDemon posted:

I think I might just be retarded, but I cannot figure out what the hell is going on in that manga.

Don't worry you're not. I read it a while back and although I liked it, I could barely understand what was going on beyond the basic premise.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ruta posted:

I can't even put my finger on why I like it. I still think the violence is over the top. I particularly found the murder scene when Erin and Mikasa were nine years old to be really unrealisitc. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to think they were both badass from a young age, or if there's actually a rational reason for their behavior and ability. It actually gets brought up in a later, yet untranslated chapter, so I hope they go more into it.

Well we know for sure that Eren isn't normal, I kind of assumed that him being so aggressive and competent at such a young age was related to his being part titan. As for Mikasa, we don't know for sure if there's anything up with her, but people have speculated that Eren's dad was experimenting on her.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Well I can't think of any reason why the titans would have to reflect the gender of the human inside them. Have there been any female giants? I can't remember any. If not, I imagine the giants aren't really supposed to have a sex. As for the latter question, I guess not all titans are created equal? Maybe the person inside the titan determines it's strength/size?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If you're talking about all the characters that popped up during the flashback Im pretty sure all of em are dead jim, the only new character introduced that seems to have a pretty big role is that scout dude.

I'm pretty sure that at least Sasha (Potato girl), Annie (Kicking Girl), and Jean are still alive

Cao Ni Ma posted:

e- Maybe Im just remembering things incorrectly but I could have sworn I remember seeing a lot of these characters before. Like I vaguely remember a girl eating something at a completely inappropriate time before and my first though during the new chapter was that it was her. It doesnt help that everyone looks the same in this

We have, it's kind of an odd way of approaching things but most of the characters from the flashback had already been introduced, now they're just retroactively getting more characterization.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 4, 2011

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

What is "Attack on Titan" even supposed to mean? Anyways, odd name aside, that's pretty great news, I'll definitely pick it up.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Ahahahaha! :laffo:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/12/17

This is sooooo much funnier for the fact that this manga is so dark and serious most of the time, so it comes completely unexpected.

Sasha is by far the most memorable side character, she'd better have plot armor.

That last panel is fantastic.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

That was amazing dropping the revelation in a small bubble in the corner was such a great way of doing it. It pretty gives you the same mental skip that you would if you heard that in real life. It takes you a second to actually understand what they were saying.

Also how can this manga be so well foreshadowed, and not drawn out? Every plot twist comes at the perfect time.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if there were something up with Mikasa (I think there was some speculation earlier that Dr. Jaeger had been experimenting on her?), but I kinda hope the answer ends up being that Mikasa is just super cool.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 19, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Jackard posted:

How rough a translation are we talking here? Claymore-level gibberish or reasonably adequate?

I wouldn't have noticed it weren't the usual scans if it hadn't been pointed out to me.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

organism posted:

The longer they put off revealing why the human-titans attacked/infiltrated in the first place, the more worried I get that it's going to be stupid anime/manga logic like "we had to be the bad guys in order to get mankind to hate us and unite together".

I'd be really surprised if this happened, there's a part in the manga where the author basically mocks this idea.

If I recall correctly, Pixis asks Eren what he thinks about this idea, and Eren says that humanity isn't united at all, even with the titans.

e: Found the page:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/6251/shingeki-no-kyojin_v3_ch12_by_gantz-waitingroom/15

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 21, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It was brilliant. It managed to make you experience the bombshell in exactly the same way Eren does, which is a pretty clever feat in a manga.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

I don't really see why everyone doesn't like the art.

The anatomy can be pretty bad. I don't notice things like that at all, so it doesn't bother me, but I understand why some people dislike it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Blackest Goon posted:

the wait for 47 is loving grueling. When do chapters usually come out?

The scanlation for 46 came out June 6th, so probably pretty soon.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Capsaicin posted:

If I am watching the anime and have just watched the episode where Armin stabs into Titan Eren to talk to him, where should I start in the Manga. Are there any parts that I've missed or extra manga parts that I should read?

Start from Chapter 14. You didn't miss anything, although the manga did the trainee arc as a flashback, so you'll see that again.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's pretty impressive that Levi managed to crush Eren/Mikasa in the poll. With 90% of these polls it seems like the protagonists are glued to first place, even if they're not that interesting.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Well the manga had forums full of people scrutinizing every moment, and while a couple of people put the pieces together the theory never really gained any traction.

The manga is really good at foreshadowing that's simultaneously subtle and in-your-face obvious on a reread, I'm not too surprised that didn't survive the move to a different medium.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

What? No it's not.

Here's the panel in question:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/35/36

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Chevalier_D%27Eon

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i feel like no one is going to eat anyone

sasha might eat someone but it'll be unrelated to titan stuff

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Why would you go to a fan wiki for detailed critical analysis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010