Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

davidHalestorm posted:

Man, those first two volumes felt like a prologue to me. Mainly because people kept dying left and right and we're not sure who's going to be the main characters, yet (except for Erin and Mikasa, obviously). Now, it seemed that we've got a bunch of them.

If you're talking about all the characters that popped up during the flashback Im pretty sure all of em are dead jim, the only new character introduced that seems to have a pretty big role is that scout dude.

e- Maybe Im just remembering things incorrectly but I could have sworn I remember seeing a lot of these characters before. Like I vaguely remember a girl eating something at a completely inappropriate time before and my first though during the new chapter was that it was her. It doesnt help that everyone looks the same in this manga.

e2- Yeah my mind was playing tricks with me, the girl with the slab of meat didnt get eaten but the girl next to her got her head chommped down on.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yomiel would be more like Yomieru. I think Ymir is closer to Yomiru than Yomiel is.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

:catstare: :dogstare: :stare:

Thats certainly a thing!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, they could go with the whole fall of civilization thing and after several thousand years mankind is at the brink of extinction. It be silly though if the manga took that rout and has the scout crew reach the ruins of tokyo or whatever.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I...always thought it was a woman but now that you mention it...

No, they quite clearly refer to it as a "Her" in this particular translation.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Titan is the planet, the titans are actually the planets antibodies/defense mechanism, the humans are the parasitic foreign beings that they are trying to remove. It us, we are the attackers :shepface:.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This manga is so refreshing. Nice having a story were both the heroes and the villains act intelligently, subverts tropes and isn't afraid to murder every single character that gets introduced

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

I have a feeling that engaging the titan instead of fleeing is going to bite Eren in the rear end. After all, the female titan's whole goal was to flush him out, and now he's right in front of her.

As strong as Eren is, his opponent has shown a remarkable resistance to being dead and a greater ability at remaining clear minded.

I don't see this ending well...

Well she hasn't fully regenerated yet ,so he might be able to beat the poo poo out of her. If you noticed she still has her muscles severed so she cant guard. But I still agree that this wont end well for Eren, female is just too strong and has full control of her mind when transformed.

Although who knows, she might kiss him next chapter, its about the only thing she can probably do :iamafag:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Author's art is getting slightly more tolerable, something about the head proportions were (and still are just a tiny bit though) out of whack. One thing he absolutely does great is the sense of motion and speed. All the panels really do a good job of illustrating it.

Now about the female "Conserving Stamina", I think its less about the actual act of transformation and more about using calculated and measured attacks against enemies instead of going full out and clobbering everything like Eren does. Emotions might also be a factor on it, maybe being in a pissed off state of mind when doing it will drain more than being calmed and collected.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A chapter where nearly no words were said, and yet, so much anger was displayed.

e- It was also completely one sided anger, in fact its the only face he had on. Female titans eyes had shock, conviction, pain and even compassion. There's a whole lot more human in female titan than Eren titan.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 12, 2012

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It would be hilarious if female titan ended up being a herring and it was actually an effeminate dude.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, the author has a great ability of conveying sense of movement and speed. Im also seeing the art get cleaner with each chapter. Hopefully it continues to improve.

About the female giant, what purpose could she have with doing this? She was willing to give her life to kidnap Eren and seem pretty sad/disappointed that she failed in the end. Revaille noticed this, I wonder if the issue is going to come up in the next chapter.

Also Eren in the last few shots that was completely brutal, seeing himself in that kid, figuring out that his idea for joining was just childish naiveté, the amount of death that happened just because of him

There is just no hope in this manga :smith:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The only reason why I remember Mikasa is because its like saying "My home" in spanish. Rivaille because it sounds like rival. Everyone else is a blank face in my book.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

"Oh, I guess I need to kill this person we were friends with" is not a reaction I would normally describe as "reasonable".

It is when That person nearly wiped out the scouting legion and tried to take your brother for some undisclosed reason.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

j4on posted:

Do any recent revelations give hints to what it means?

If its translated correctly then the only thing I could think of is an allusion to Norse mythology. Ymir and Ymirs people, the Jotnar. Whether or not he's introducing himself as a jotun (it would make sense, since he's a giant), or calling the humans jotnar is something that remains to be seen.

As for Annie, I cant help but feel that her conversation with the MP guy and with Armin holds a lot of what she actually believes in. That she's just protecting the status quo when she really feels like she could try to break it. Gave me vibes that she's rationalizing the (real) belief that humans are mostly scum and that this is for their own good

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If its anything like the titans we've seen so far, it will retain its eye shape and pupil color.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

In this latest chapter, poo poo continues to get real.

This exemplifies the readers perpetual face as they read this manga :stare:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

appledan posted:

Attack on Titan lmao

I already went trough this. Titan is the planet, the giants are the planets defense system and humans are the foreign blight thats attacking it. Its us, we are the attackers.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sindai posted:

Yeah, all he really needs is some kung-fu training. It wouldn't take much to justify him getting better.

I dont think martial arts training will do anything to Eren right now while he's in titan form. He seems to blank out and just go primal on whoever he considers the target.

Also Mikasa's line that inspired Eren was something Eren said to her when they were kids. Well part of what he said, he went something like "Cruel and beautiful place". I guess there is no more beauty, just cruelty :black101:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

Unless Annie is a deep cover agent and crap like 3D gear isn't important enough to report back. Assuming her job even involves reporting back before her mission is complete.

Colossal saw the 3D gear as well. So we can assume him and Annie are probably in the same faction while Sasquatch is in another. Also even the idiot titans show a level of deference to the Sasquatch, mostly because of fear. Didn't even know that was possible.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 10, 2012

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chapter was great. The author is getting much better at drawing as well so the problem with weird proportions at distances seems to be almost none existent now.

Its becoming more apparent that there was a time where technology was at a higher level. I wonder how far things will go. If the decline was sudden or by stages

Also started to think about the factions. The bigfoot titan and his crew can walk around at night. While the other titans cant. This makes me think that their titans are more complete, or even original/"natural" titans. That the ones that are light dependent were at one point man made and incomplete.

Still too early to make a clear picture on this mystery.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Schubalts posted:

How did you not see that she was a girl before this? :psyduck:

To be fair the author has drawn some androgynous females before that have left us scratching our heads a few times. The crazy scientist girl is one of the earlier examples.

I thought Ymir was a guy as well, mostly because of the name and some rough facial characteristics. I was caught be surprise with Conny called her a woman and only noticed her breast when she was kneeling looking for food.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Haha the caption in the last page is entirely true and sums up the manga nicely.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah I dont think they have enough content for a 26 episode run unless they start stretching things. One of the bigger strengths this has is its relatively fast pacing but I guess a slower pace to enhance character/world building could work if its executed well.

I can totally see a 13 episode run though as a thing to drum up more manga sales. You know, like what Madhouse gets commisioned to do a lot of times (Please let it be madhouse that makes it :allears:)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

darkgray posted:

It's Wit Studio, the people behind Guilty Crown.

...Oh :smith:

Maybe they can do better work if the source material is actually good.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Whats best is how its sounds. Gonna love it whenever people start using them :allears:.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Captain Capacitor posted:

Also anyone with pale eyes is now under immediate suspicion of being a Titan in disguise.
This is what I initially thought but there are plenty of people with really light eyes and aren't titans, or it would be very silly if they were. Remember that this is mostly European descendants so light color eyes are common. The eyes are important though I think, since people kinda retain how the eyes look in titan form. Which is why I think the author is purposely hiding Ymirs eyes right now.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hairy dude was certainly smart though and every titan near him show a certain level of deference to it. You can see it when he popped the small creepy ones eye. All the other ones had worried, scared faces.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

No. It really, really isn't.

The only real attack on titans that have occurred so far have been on the human ones and its taken them a huge amount of time to get to this point.

For all intended purposes this could have been called Attack on, Titan! and it would have been a better fit :v:.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Soulcleaver posted:

He's not going to just sit there and listen to an explanation from the two bastards who killed his mother, murdered thousands, and stole everything from him. He's going to turn titan, get his rear end kicked, THEN we'll hear Reiner and Berthold have their say.

Wrong

He's going to try and turn into a titan, get reminded by them that they are in a loving tree and that if he transforms he'll fall and probably endanger Ymir in the process. He then transforms anyways and lands face first on the ground. Repeat, with this time him actually listening to them

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They really need to change the name of the threads. Look too drat similar.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im thinking being a scout is the type of role in that military where there is a no question asked acceptance to switching to a different corp. Kinda like mortuary affairs in ours.

vvv
Its a horrible translation choice by a group. If they did it seriously then they are pretty bad, but they probably did in jest. Its basically Jotun/Titan/Kyojin.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 4, 2013

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Doflamingo posted:

Except Ymir doesn't look like a guy at all..?

Maybe in the anime but in the manga she looks very androgynous and this is usually something happens more with males than with females in japan.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The manga is better paced and is better at blind siding you than the anime is. A lot of people recommend to just wait for the anime but I really didnt feel it. If you are doing both, read the manga first.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah those spoilers :stare:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

So I can't read chinese, but...

Does Mikasa seriously sit there and tell Eren to give up on fighting and they can die together? It seems like she's trying to convince him to stop and just enjoy being with her before he rages out and starts controlling the titans .

No.

She's thanking him for being there for her and effectively snaps him out of the mild psychosis he started to suffer

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

For one moment I thought that the chapter was parody.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I had a friend do the same argument but with Ymir, its a crock of poo poo :colbert:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Freyr. Freyja survives Ragnarok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Holy poo poo that is an insanely bad translation.

Wait, are they in some kind insane memory-based time loop?

Its worse than google I think. gently caress I cant read this