Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugs Boson
Feb 3, 2011

Elementary.
I don't usually read these kinds of comics, but decided to give it a try based on the OP. I was pleasantly surprised so far, even if it is a bit hard for me to tell at some points what exactly is going on or who's supposed to be talking at the moment (could be a cultural thing, though - even switching the panel direction was a bit challenging at first). Generally speaking I enjoy stories that simply present one absurd premise and run with it, showing how everybody tries to cope with this new reality. And Advance of the Giants certainly tickles that fancy. It's quite enjoyable.

I can't help but wonder about certain aspects of this world, though, even outside of the whole "what are the Titans and why are they doing this?"-mystery. For example:

The city is the humans home turf - and even after a breach they still control the top of the wall! That's a huge strategic advantage right there. If their main problem is a medium sized hole in the wall, why would they discuss moving a huge boulder as their only option to block it? Why don't they simply use people and carts to move bricks, rubble and cement safely along the wall to the hole and simply dump it over the edge and pile it up until they've blocked it? With a couple of hundred men and two or three days of work they could burry the former door completely. If you're in a hurry, you could even use explosives to collapse the first couple of meters of wall right above the gate and repair it later.

Also, why keep the doors at all, especially knowing that the huge Titan's preferred strategy is to kick them down? I get the argument that they are partially symbolic, and permanently blocking them signifies giving up any hope of return to the outside world, but they aren't really that important strategically. It's not like they hide underground with doors being the only way in or out - they simply need some lifts and cranes and ladders to pass the walls any time they want.

Also, having the human troops swing around in their gear is a nice concept, but it suffers from the "Spiderman paradox" - where do they swing from most of the time? Wouldn't it make sense to have some towers and high buildings within the cities with the express purpose of increasing their defenders mobility and creating safe spots (instead of just having uniform rows of relatively flat houses)? The Titans didn't seem to be too eager to climb, or use tools, or purposefully demolish human structures so far.

Also, why not use the size difference more to your advantage? Wouldn't having large arching windows that Titans can use to see/climb/reach in be a pretty stupid idea for building your HQ/armory/stronghold? Why use huge, broad empty streets in favor of narrow alleyways? Why use long flat houses in favor of a more contorted architecture that offers more cover to humans and restricts the Titan's mobility? Tunnels and bridges and cable railways well out of reach all seem like good things to have, too. Or why not build the city (or at least parts of it) onto the top of the wall in the first place, since (at least prior to the giant Titan's appearance) this seems like the safest place of them all. I guess all I'm saying is that for a people whose biggest fear over multiple generations was being eaten alive by big dumb predators, they don't really seem too eager to structure their environment accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugs Boson
Feb 3, 2011

Elementary.

Zorak posted:

I think a lot of the implication is that no one actually expected the Titans to ever get into the city

They must have thought of that possibility at some point, though, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to build (or keep, whatever came first) the innermost of the concentric wall circles, including the individual bastions of the inner cities. I guess I found it just a bit odd that they would go through the tremendous effort to build these giant walls (stretching over many hundreds of kilometers according to the map), and then just kind of stop there. But yeah, I agree, it probably boils down to everybody feeling safe and not really planing for an emergency of that magnitude and going on with their normal lives after a while.

Hugs Boson
Feb 3, 2011

Elementary.
Well, considering that titans seem to become docile when deprived of sunlight, the walls primary building material could very well be entombed titans.

Hugs Boson
Feb 3, 2011

Elementary.

hackbunny posted:

I do love how quickly the priest went from horrified to outraged

Yeah, although him shouting "You must not come any closer to the wall!" at Annie sounds mighty suspicious in retrospect. Maybe the church knows about the wall being a giant brick-and-mortar titan piņata? Who built those walls, anyway?.

Hugs Boson
Feb 3, 2011

Elementary.
Ryner keeps up the act pretty well, complaining about how he almost died (twice) and even seemingly suppressing his healing factor to fix his arm. He doesn't seem to have any intention to blow his cover any time soon. Then, Eren casually mentions their home village. Now something odd happens: both Ryner and Bertholdt seem to be hit by a sudden realisation that somehow changes everything. Bertholdt's like "hey, I guess we really can go home now!" and Ryner's like "Oh my god, you're right!", which seems to trigger his rash action. At least, that's how I read it.

I wonder what has changed? It can't be the realisation that there are other human-titans within the walls, since they already knew about Eren and Annie at least. Could it have something to do with the presence of the hairy titan, which they learned about just now? Or is there something really special about Ymir?