Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceDrake posted:

Also for any theoretical English release I think Mikasa might need to be slightly renamed, if only to prevent any sniggering from people who might know a bit of Spanish :v:

I don't think any Spanish speaker would care. I even know a Japanese supermarket in Mexico City with that name.

This manga is great and I curse myself for reading it all in such a short time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
"Man-eating Titans from outer space"
"Titanapocalipse!"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Welp, the author does know how to make a good old fight look interesting.

And, if there is something that this manga has taught me is that it always manages to avoid being predictable, which brings me to this: Since the titans are basically summoned or whatever by their "pilots" why are we all thinking that the female titan has to be controlled by a woman? why not a man?. I mean, it's extremely unlikely but more surprising/weirder stuff has already happened. Yeah, it has to be Annie

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nasgate posted:

Every panel of Rivaille kicking rear end led to this reaction.
:ohdear: don't die don't die oh god oh god he's going to die isn't he? :ohdear::ohdear:

As time goes by and the cast of characters gets more set in stone it becomes harder for most authors to kill an important character, which is kinda of a shame since unpredictability is one of the strengths of this manga. But, I have faith in the author and I am completely sure that Rivaille will find an appropiately gruesome death (bonus points if it is not an heroic one).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Soulcleaver posted:

Never mind the giants; humanity is going to be destroyed by its own selfish infighting stupidity, isn't it?

Well, that's a common theme in zombie titan-related media. It is much more interesting to have the real danger be something else besides the scary monsters

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Autonomous Monster posted:

That is by far the most composed and dangerous-looking Bertles has ever been.

And Annie got a nose job.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AnonSpore posted:

Isn't it just a spoof on DVD covers where the lead actors are portrayed as giant floating headshots in general? Admittedly Star Wars is a huge repeat offender when it comes to that kinda thing.

Yeah, that image is so generic that it could be referencing anything. My pet* theory is that the SnK artists are SNK fans.

Man, Geese was a complete dork back then.

*pulled completely out of my rear end

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MMania posted:

Honestly I'm so burnt out over them dangling that god drat key in front of our faces that I just want some motivation from the Titan humans. They've had dozens of opportunities already, arrrgh. No way it's as simple as "we think we're better than humans that can't turn into Titans."

Remember that there are at least three factions to this whole thing. The brainless titans, the human-titans, and the humans. To me it seems pretty clear that the human-titans are looking for a way to get Eren in order to use his power to stand a chance against the brainless titans (and the monkey or whomever is their "leader").

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The problem is that according to Reiner, their objective was to destroy all the humans within the walls. It doesn't really fit with wanting to find the coordinate/coordinator. That the human-titans want to control the brainless titans makes much more sense, since that'd probably be an overriding concern when you're living in the middle of titan-infested wilderness.

Remember that the humans can be transmogrified into mindless Titans. Destroying all humans would reduce the number of future foes that they'll have. Kinda like in lovely zombie stories

So the plan was to destroy all of them but they realized that there was a better option. But they do need to bring proof back or they are going to be court - martialed for failing their mission. Seems to me like the human-giants must be few in numbers since, apparently, they can only get their powers by eating another one. They must have lost access to whatever technology it was that created them originally (and which Eren's dad probably has)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DaveKap posted:

At least, that's what I think. I'd expect at least two or three twists on these facts somewhere down the line.

Yeah, my personal theory, which I bet will be 100% wrong is the following:

A while ago humans developed the technology to become titans because :cmon:. For whatever reason there were both free-willed titans and mindless ones so a new kind of coordinator titan was created to control them.

Then, as usual, everything goes to poo poo and there is a huge war between different coordinator factions. In any case, there is no clear winner and all sides are pretty much eliminated. One of the coordinators (probably the last one) leading a group of free-willed titans escapes to wherever the heck it is the walls are located, creates a bunch of newly mindless titans and makes the walls with them. The land is then re-populated (which could explain why they don't understand the old tongue). Then, before dying, he/she creates the church to keep the secret alive and an outside village of free-willed titans that is there to protect the humans.

Now, hundreds of years later, a new coordinator arrives to the land, the free-willed titans are able to sense him and decide, for whatever reason, to kill the people inside the walls (it could be mercy, they could have panicked, whatever) but there -thanks to Eren's dad, who somehow managed to recover the Titan technology- they find another coordinator, who could actually let them stand a chance.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Saagonsa posted:

Wait, what? I must have missed it, when was this said?

Ymir was a mindless Titan who ate Reiner&Bert's friend, that's how she was able to regain her mind.

Also: Eren is the worst possible person to be a coordinator because he really loving hates titans and is an intransigent reckless idiot. They obviously want Eren to help their free-willed titan faction.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 20, 2013

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This isn't 100% for certain. Armin snapped Eren out of his Titan-induced hallucination without him needing to devour anyone. There is no real link so far between eating Berrik and regaining her humanity afterward. Ymir and Bert's conversation implies that everyone who can turn into a titan suffers a hallucination episode before they can get control over the power.

Eren was not created in the same way as the other titans. Reiner&Co believe that he was a mindless titan and forgot about it but we know (I guess) that he was transformed into a free-willed coordinator titan by his dad.

Edit: This all links back to the stupid basement and Eren's dad. He knew or re-discovered the way that was used to create the original coordinator titans and, being such a nice dad, experimented with his son.

Saagonsa posted:

Oh, I never thought of it like that. If that's the case, then the question how exactly did she become a titan in the first place? She said she was a titan for only sixty years. So I doubt it has anything to do with the original titan outbreak. However, it doesn't seem like she was a part of Reiner and Bert's village either.

Yeah, who knows how she became a mindless titan in the first place but it is pretty obvious to me that she (And Reiner, Annie, etc.) became a free-willed titan by eating one of them (And that they believe that Eren is the same, they obviously don't have all the information about the past either, that's why Historia is so important). There is something that creates mindless titans, that's why the walls were built, but we don't know the process and what it involves.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 20, 2013

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Reiner, Annie, and Berthold know that the Rogue Titan is a Titan-shifter. They're the ones to suggest it's really an ally after all. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c009/25.html

Yes, that's my point, they know he's a Titan-shifter, so they naturally assume that he was created in the same way as them because that's what they are used to http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c047/17.html. They believe he was a mindless titan who forgot about it.

But we know that his transformation into a Titan controller, which is a type of shifter, involves some extra fuckery (Edit: and no, we do not know this directly but that's how stories work). It is very probable that he never was a mindless titan.

All sides have incomplete information (with the possible exception of the Church and Eren's dad)

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 20, 2013

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Meh, forget it. I had a lovely theory with a lot of holes that I have to re-think.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 20, 2013

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

And even if that was the case, which I don't think it is, that in no way implies that eating a person is necessary to become a titan shifter. I think that whole idea is just the result of people over-analyzing the specific language used in the translation or having questionable reading comprehension skills.

Yeah, it could be me just reading it wrong.

Reiner mentions that she ate her friend. Soon afterwards he mentions that she recovered her mind. But they don't say link one thing with the other.

She recovered her memories some time after eating that dude. It may be linked to it or it may not.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Griff Lee posted:

I completely agree. Thanks for summing up my views entirely.

EDIT: Hasn't anyone discussed the Freudian appeal of this show yet? It's pretty striking! No wonder it's popular with females.

Is having a short, moody, clean-freak fujyoshi-magnet Freudian?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The day they capture Levi, rip his shirt off, and torture him is the day that AoT beats all manga sale records. Why am I spoiling a joke?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DrSunshine posted:

At the risk of sounding a bit :catdrugs::2bong:, do you suppose that since there's humans who can turn into Titans, there might possibly be Titans who can turn into humans? Maybe Ape Escape isn't a Titan-shifting human at all, but rather a human-shifting Titan!!

Everything points to titans being some sort of non-natural being so I don't really think there is something that is first and foremost a titan. (Of course, they could have forgotten and consider themselves a Titan first, so then you could kinda say that those would be titans that change into humans).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ahaha, finally called something! Ymir managed to stop being a thoughtless titan because she ate that shifter dude

Now I can die happy.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

The art in this is never usually great but this page http://i.imgur.com/DD4k0oA.png (obvious spoilers for latest chapter) had me laughing for like five minutes.

Yeah, but it's intentionally funny. So the art is actually perfectly fine.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Viola the Mad posted:

I gotta love that the first line in the chapter is "That tall guy called himself Mr. Military Police."

:stare: The proportions on the page are giving me the creeps. Levi's right arm is all hosed up and I don't even know what the deal is with Connie.

Confirmed: Levi is the Monkey titan.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Not Keyser Soze posted:

I haven't watched many anime after having read the manga first (or so extensively), is it typical for shows derived from manga for the openings to have so many spoilers crammed in them? I was just watching the ones from the first season and they will have all the Shifters constantly appearing together in shots or juxtaposed in really obvious ways. This season's opening has a quick shot of a bunch of titans dragging down another Titan which seems to obviously be the Coordinate ability.

The Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei anime had spoilers for the manga's big twist ending that was years away from happening.

So, yeah, some do.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Daxing Dan posted:

But, as Zeke tells it, the police were on the verge of busting the Restorationists regardless

How would a kid know that sort of thing?

Daxing Dan posted:

Unless Zeke actually turns out to be a huge jerk, at least.

Ahhhh.