Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper

Bisse posted:

* The huge titan appears/disappears with the same hot steam that TitanEren appears/disappears with

Well, all titans appear with that steam. Remember that the titans do the same regenerating thing that Eren does, which is why they need to hit that weak point. I think someone even calls it Titan Steam at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper

Hugs Boson posted:

They must have thought of that possibility at some point, though, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to build (or keep, whatever came first) the innermost of the concentric wall circles, including the individual bastions of the inner cities. I guess I found it just a bit odd that they would go through the tremendous effort to build these giant walls (stretching over many hundreds of kilometers according to the map), and then just kind of stop there. But yeah, I agree, it probably boils down to everybody feeling safe and not really planing for an emergency of that magnitude and going on with their normal lives after a while.

I got the impression that the people planning the outer towns aren't really planning them for a defensive war, they're just planning them for, basically, bait.

I believe someone mentions that their reclamation effort from 5 years ago was designed to fail and to sacrifice as many people to the titans as possible, because they needed to reduce the strain on supplies. I would bet that the king/nobles/whoever in the innermost wall are just trying to get as many people as far away from themselves as possible so that they survive the longest/are last to be eaten.

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper
After some (very nerdy) math, the 15m (approx 49') titans would have a weak spot about 60-80 cm tall. That isn't really the hard part about shooting them with the cannons though. The hard part is, assuming they have the same mobility as humans (they seem to, given the one sprinting for the baggage cart), that your 60cm target is moving around or running toward you at approx 150kph, or 90mph (a 15m human would have a running stride length around 20m, and assuming a strike rate of 60, or 120 steps per minute). That would be the problem with shooting them.

Then again, that makes the 3d combat seem more ridiculous. But gently caress it, fighting giants like a sword-swinging, hopeless batman is way cooler than cannonading them from the top of a wall.

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper
Huh. While most (all?) of the other titans have humanish mouths, both Titan-Eren and the Gatecrasher have that weird angled cheek split thing going on (Eren/Gatecrasher)