Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Dude writes cool females like no other manga, it's crazy. I've got a feeling I'm really going to like Ymir and her dealing with her importance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Hm, I'm actually starting to waiver on my Reiner and Bertholdt theories. I wouldn't expect a man who could, at any time, turn into a nearly invincible regenerating titan to have a fearful internal monologue about dying to a 2 meter titan.

How did you ever come to this conclusion in the first place?

And anyway, the people with plot armour are Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Rivaille and Ymir. We need something out of all of them, though Rivaille is probably going to bite it first out of that bunch, though it mightn't be for ages.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I abolutely love Ymir loving destroying Christa. Actually I just love her character from top to bottom. If every shounen manga had Ymir in it ruining people's bullshit they'd all be the better for it.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Thoren posted:

I'm still surprised Ymir is a woman.

This series has some really amazing female characters.

Even more amazingly she isn't desperate to jump someone's pants and she doesn't seem to have some huge disfigurement identifying her as off-limits for the main characters.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Niccy Bones posted:

Do the scanlations really need -san and sempai in them?

How else would you know it was Japanese?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah if they don't manage to kidnap Eren on their second go around it's going to look pretty bad when they have to report back to President Dad. Also they managed to snag Ymir and another probably-sleeper-titan.

Gyges posted:

Is Connie just in denial, or does he really somehow not realize who Ryner and Bertholdt really are?

Only a few people actually saw them transform, if you read the preceding chapter. Also Connie is loving useless.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I'm still not sold with the idea of Reiner and Bertholdt being sent in with the most important jobs in the Titan nation at the tender age of, what, 12? It's just nudging the manga away from the survival-mystery-horror niche and more into the mainstream. Which I'm not saying it wouldn't have had to do to keep going, but it just doesn't gel for me right now.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Mo_Steel posted:

I got the impression that they did it because they were stupid kids, not because they were under orders to do it. Was there somewhere they said they got orders to bust up the human walls that I forgot about?

Everything else they've done has been under orders, they haven't explicitly said their original attack on the wall was but we have no reason to doubt it at this point. And kids don't go attack the last bastion of human civilization and personally kill hundreds of people (and enable the genocide of thousands) because they're dicking around. If they did, a) that doesn't mesh at all with previous depictions of Reiner or Bertholdt and b) it says a lot of dumb stuff about the Titan-nation.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Which chapter did the whole Sasha-fart-potato conversation happen? It's really hard to find things in this manga.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Serious Frolicking posted:

Those two weren't willing to become titans to save their own lives for some reason. Rather, they only ever transformed to achieve a goal.

Titan Annie, however, was willing to transform to save her skin. I really hope there's a reason for this, because it looks like a rare goof.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I'm reading the chapters at Castle Utgarde at the moment and it's really, really bugging me.

I mean I literally can't parse Ryner's internal monologues, the flashback with him and Bertie and Ymir eating the kid, the fact that he is resigned to die/ not die without using his get-out-of-jail-free powers, with the fact that then at the wall he just bursts out into a big ole walking invincibility juggernaut.

I mean if he had chosen any other point to use his powers the story would have been completely different, and the difference between him at the wall and him before the wall is just ... weird.

God I hope there is an explanation for this.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

So uh, anyway.

I was just rereading the first two chapters and, apologies if the answer was given later, but what's the significance of the two numbers that flash up out of nowhere? In chapter one I think it's 845, and in chapter two it's 850.

It's late so I'm not going to read anymore, but I don't think I remember seeing those numbers again. It's all very Spawn-esque.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Those are both the best, oh my God.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

So worth the wait.

But wait a second. I've probably missed something, but a couple chapters back when Bertie swallowed Ymir, he snatched another scout too. Did we ever find out who that was?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Bisensual posted:

I'm not sure anyone still posts in the anime thread. So, I'll leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HxzPQUqzac

What is this? Is this a Lelouch thing or a Death Note thing ... ?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I don't expect anyone else to have this problem but Ackerman seriously looks like Commander Vimes to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Eej posted:

After all this time I'm still rootin' for Eren

Man, I stopped rooting for him a long time ago. There's only so much rope I can give for "bad childhood" and "protagonist."