Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Hugs Boson posted:

Also, why keep the doors at all, especially knowing that the huge Titan's preferred strategy is to kick them down? I get the argument that they are partially symbolic, and permanently blocking them signifies giving up any hope of return to the outside world, but they aren't really that important strategically. It's not like they hide underground with doors being the only way in or out - they simply need some lifts and cranes and ladders to pass the walls any time they want.

Other people have addressed your points but I'll tackle this one specifically. In one of the post-chapter notes where the author talks about the world what you said is literally the case; one of the governmental parties argued that taking away the doors would be forcing humanity to admit that they would be permanently trapped and imprisoned forever, never to reclaim the Earth, and this argument won over enough of the populace for the ruling party to nix the idea.

As for the rest remember we haven't seen beyond the innermost wall. It could very well be that those in the centre of human territory see the outer levels as only a slightly-less worse place than the Titan-controlled wastelands and see the wall as keeping the titans and gutter-trash populace away from the nobles. The entire setup of the world is incredibly symbolic and I'd be disappointed if later volumes didn't deal with all this.

Edit; more stuff. Also remember that before the gianto-Titan showed up there was what, 100 years of peace? That's long enough for an entire generation to be born and die, especially in a 19th century-level of technology. The innermost enclaves have probably gone even longer without ever seeing or hearing about a titan attack. That's more than enough time for A) people to simply stop giving a poo poo and B) people to accept a status-quo.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I don't think even Nihei's greatest fans (i.e. me, heeen) would disagree that his stories range from less-than-obvious at best to confusing jumbles at worst. Knights of Sydonia/Sidonia/Cidonia improves that a lot though.

Anyway back to Giants. What you said PaleIrishGuy is correct. The walls were designed to have inhabited towns inside bubble-shaped outcroppings so that giants would concentrate on attacking those relatively small areas where humanity could concentrate their defenses rather than randomly across the whole wall.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Seems appropriate for a group of soldiers whose main duty is to go outside the walls and get eaten scout for giants. :v:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The first one owns so loving hard. I hope this manga sells (another) million copies.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah one of the most badass panels so far has been Titan-Eren going into that boxing stance.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
We have one already he's called Joe and you better believe he's always hungry.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If I was going to be killed by a titan I would definitely prefer being stepped on to being eaten aliahahaha no I can't go on.

Is the next chapter out yet?

VVV What's it like to be a wuss?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 23, 2012

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's hilarious seeing Mikasa next to your average shounen/seinen heroine.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is Uniqlo some kind of Hot Topic-style store where they cater to a very specific demographic (in this case anime and games)? I keep seeing people post their t-shirts and it's always stuff I'd never have thought to see on a thing people would wear.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Oh my god everything is bad and everyone is hosed.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
They do appear to be getting more monstrous. I wonder if there's any reason for it other than "because they look monsterous goddamn"?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Sasha added to the long list of people that loving Own.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Advance of the Titans: Your Favourite Character May Die

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think if that was the case and all we were doing was waiting for the money shot it wouldn't be anywhere near as good. Every battle death seems absolutely certain, but we still hope that they can fight just hard enough to stave it off for another chapter. It's the struggle that makes Advance so great. Gantz had the same kinda thing, until it flew totally off the rails.

Also the overarching plot and mystery yeah, but I just want to watch the cool dudes live a little longer and/or do something badass to do so.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
A few of us follow Sidonia in the shounen/seinen threads and love it. It just isn't really worth making a thread about due to the staggered releases.

People should check it out on principle if they like sci-fi though, it's his best-plotted work since Blame! and obviously it looks great.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That looks so good it is loving unreal.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The 3d gear looks and sounds incredible. Spot Rivaille spinning like a dervish through that forest, and the pneumatic pumping noises Eren makes when he's just boosting it through the city. It would be amazing if they could give the main characters their own style of maneuvering.

Man I said this about Jojo like three months ago but I really, really don't want them to gently caress this one up.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
In hi-def, around the 46 second mark, you can see a titan just slap a soldier-dude into dust, goddamn. :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah that loving owns I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall of that meeting.