Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

Mikasa and Eren are my favorite characters honestly, at least of the ones that currently around. Jean was so obsessive about Mikasa that he sabotaged Eren's training gear, which nearly brained and killed or seriously injured him. He still hates Eren despite Eren doing nothing to him, and his whole character is based on it. Christa is boring. For being in the top 10 she sure seems to do very little that isn't being useless. Ymir is getting better, and seems less obsessed with Christa. Bert and Ernie are literally only interesting because of what they know - otherwise they are boring with their trait being the recent breakdowns. I barely remember Connie. What makes him so deep? All I remember is that him and Sasha are both from rural places.

Annie is my favorite character because she is the only one who seemed to have both a goal (other human titans) and a personality instead of only one.

Eren and Mikasa also only have a goal that makes up their personality (rage and devotion). But they have the bonus of being insane in a way that is "Woah drat slow down." Instead of in a 'oh great time for you to try to make me feel sorry for these guys' way. They never try to make those two seem 'redeemable' instead making Eren constantly screw up due to it and I was honestly hoping that Mikasa would end up slicing through Christa so everyone else would realize how crazy she is.

Where in the world did you get the idea that Jean sabotaged Eren's gear? And it didn't seem like Jean continued to hold any deep grudges against Eren ever since they stopped being trainees. And Reiner's whole inner conflict has been apparent for much longer than just this most recent chapter. Jean is also one of the only characters to show any actual development.

It's not a coincidence that so many posters have commented on Eren/Mikasa being one-note compared with the other characters (though I'll agree with the one poster who mentioned our outlook on Eren being colored by the fact that he's been on the warpath for the past several chapters that have lasted about half a year in real time; he had some interesting inner thoughts during the whole forest chase scene with respect to trusting his comrades and what have you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

By the way, Connie's text says "Leave it to us!"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ArchangeI posted:

RAMPANT SPECULATION:

Titans are the collective fears of humanity, given form. That is why they are so light (no substance) and disappear if confronted/overcome. However, they can easily kill a human too weak to handle them (they are devoured by their own fears). But if all humans are killed, the titans would disappear, so they took a bunch of humans and stuck them inside the walls were they will live forever in fear. Walls are ultimately monuments to fear of the outside.

I really hope not, because that would be incredibly lame.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

icarocovenant posted:

Am I the only one who actually sympathise with Bert and Reiner? It seems like most people say they should die and that Mikasa being ice cold to Historia's pleas is awesome.

There is much more about the human titans that we don't understand. Despite what they've done, they seem to have justifiable reasons for doing what they do, and I find myself siding with them instead of Mikasa.

I've also had a feeling that their motive will end up being something pretty legitimate.

Keep in mind that many more civilians have been killed in real life wars by the side that we look at historically as being morally justified.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

They should capture Bert and Reiner alive and torture them for information. Obviously only using methods that don't actually cause any wounds. I still don't get why they don't just put the priest guy on a rack until he talks.

Assuming that torture doesn't work any better in the world of Attack on Titan than it does in real life, all that this would accomplish is maybe getting them some wrong information.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

In my mind, I'd always chalked up Bertholdt and Reiner's motivation as being some plan they hatched as kids, thinking it'd be a pretty sweet/hilarious thing to do. Also, that Titans were caused by aliens dicking around with humanity for unknown reasons, and that the Titans and humans are locked into some kind of cycle on a scale much longer than 100 years.

Basically everything is just one hosed-up, massive game designed solely to produce human suffering.

I've mentioned this before, but everything about the way at least Reiner has been presented has seemed to point towards his character (and presumably by proxy Bertholdt) being reasonable and sympathetic, so I'm still expecting some sort of understandable motive behind his/Bertholdt's actions. It may be hard to imagine such an action being excusable, but (as I've also mentioned before) far more civilians have been killed in actual real-world wars by the side that we retrospectively consider the right/morally justified one.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Amarkov posted:

Did everyone forget? I always got the impression that the adults just prefer not to talk about it. Remember, we rarely get a POV from someone who isn't basically a child.

Yeah, this seems to be the case.

I mean, we wouldn't really know much about, say, WW1 (which was also 100 years ago) if we didn't actually have easy access to material put together by historians. And our grandparents aren't exactly eager to talk about the war(s) they've been on (I know that my late grandpa certainly never talked about his time as a soldier on the Pacific front*).

*Just as an interesting thing that isn't related to Attack on Titan other than it having to do with Japan, my other grandpa was far more fortunate in WW2; he was sent to Yale to learn Japanese! I took Japanese all four years of high school, and it was neat being able to converse with him in it. He only ever needed to use it once: A month or two after the war ended, a Japanese submarine was lost and ended up surrendering somewhere off the west coast (I forget where; I think off the coast of Washington state?). My grandpa and his fellow translators were sent on board, and he says that they just chatted about food/women/family and that the Japanese on board didn't seem particular upset that the war had ended. This same grandpa read/collected all sorts of sci-fi and fantasy magazines/books and didn't date anyone until meeting and marrying my grandma in his thirties (he wasn't bad looking at all either). Learning Japanese, being into sci-fi/fantasy, and being bad with women - the gooniest grandpa. I miss him. :smith:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Broken Knees Club posted:

Jesus Christ we found patient zero. :magical:

What's this a reference to?

vvvv Oh, haha, okay. I can be slow on the uptake sometimes.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 13, 2013

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

Five entire minutes? This is the guy, you may recall, who tried to attack his captors when both his arms had been cut off.

That part where he bit his stump made me cringe.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the Priest -> Wall Titan relationship.

Also, the resemblance between Armin and Gash Bell is uncanny.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

yellowyams posted:

It says ドクン(dokun), it's an onomatopoeia for heartbeats.

I think it's generally used in scenes where time is sort of slowing down (from the perspective of the characters).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bisensual posted:

6 hours later. I went to the store. I came back. Turned on my computer. Poured myself a glass of Coke Zero.

And I just got the joke.

I still don't get it :( What is it referring to?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

But what does he wear when he's drawing Armin psychologically destroying someone?

Nothing at all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder if human titans also can't starve to death. The fact that they can regenerate outside of their titan forms seems to indicate that whatever powers them as titans continues to do so as a human, and we know from Ymir that human titans can live a seemingly indefinite amount of time in their titan forms.

edit: I was just thinking about how the titans remind me a lot of the zombies in I Am A Hero. I wonder if the way titans perceive the world is similar to the way zombies do in IAAH. In both situations you have things that attack people yet seem to display at least some vague awareness of their surroundings (based upon the titan of Connie's mom). They're also creepy in the same sort of way.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 25, 2013

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

UberJumper posted:

Honestly i get the feeling that what the titans vomit up, turns into a titan after awhile. A titan ate connies village, vomits the blob on the house. The blob is still forming into a titan hence why its arms/legs are all weird. That's my theory at least.

What in the world?

It's been everything short of explicitly stated that the people of Connie's village were transformed into titans. The titans that attacked Sasha's village and made people think that the walls had been breached came from Connie's village. Because the walls weren't actually breached, we know that they didn't come from outside the walls, so they had to have been created somehow inside of the walls. The titan that welcomed Connie home was transformed from his mother and just happened to be left behind due to the fact that its form rendered it immobile.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

UberJumper posted:

Wait where did it say that every titan was from connies village?

It doesn't explicitly say, but it's pretty obvious that people inside the walls and in Connie's village were turned into titans. The walls weren't breached so we know the titans didn't come from outside. The immobile titan recognizes Connie because it was his mom turned into a titan; Connie even says that the titan reminds him of his mother. I don't think we know if Connie's village was the only one turned into titans, but at the very least some of the titans were from Connie's village.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AradoBalanga posted:

Indeed it is.

I guarantee only like 5 other people are going to get this reference.

Oh man, I remember watching this on a VHS back in 9th grade for my high school's Japanese club (either 2000 or 2001).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

For some reason when I read this chapter I interpreted what happened with Eren as him coming into contact with the titan that ate his mom causing all the other titans to attack it; that is, if Eren touches a titan, it will then be attacked by other titans. That being said, I'm pretty sure that the people saying that he has the ability to command titans (to some extent, at least) are correct.

Also, despite everything that has happened, I still think that Reiner/Bertholdt will have some understandable reason for their actions. Not necessarily a reason that makes what they did good and a-okay, but something that at least makes sense given their circumstances. If there is really something sinister going on with the administration inside the walls, it isn't that extreme for them to attack the walls as they did.

I'm actually pretty disappointed that it looks like we won't be getting to see Reiner/Bertholdt's home village any time soon. I was actually hoping they'd succeed in taking Eren somehow. I have this feeling that whoever is in charge of Reiner/Bertholdt's village is actually less-bad than the folks that run the government inside the walls.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

Eren didn't touch Reiner when he redirected the titans to attack him.

But he didn't direct the titans to attack Reiner? We've known for a long time that the mindless titans generally prioritize attacking titan-shifters over regular humans.

The only command we can comfortably say Eren has given is the one to attack the titan who ate his mom/Hannes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Doflamingo posted:

Dude, just go and look at the pages again. It's pretty loving obvious Eren directed them to attack Reiner directly.

Ah, I'm sorry! It looks like I did in fact misread that. It seems that Eren did trigger the titans attacking Reiner.

It seems like other instances of this power manifesting should have shown up earlier, given that it just seems to be triggered by Eren having some emotion along the lines of "I'm angry at X!" If anything, it seems that Reiner would have noticed it while carrying Eren on his back; wouldn't Eren being angry at Reiner/wanting him to die while he's in Titan form also cause the "order" to transmit?

Have there really been many situations where Eren has been around multiple titans while not in his own titan form where such a power would have manifested? Shouldn't he have had the same power back when he was initially eaten (since that was after his dad gave him the injection)?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 7, 2013

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

If this turns out to be true I'm gonna loving flip my poo poo.

Like another poster mentioned, it's extremely doubtful since this occurred before he received his injection.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

The time period this is set in is an alternate version of current Earth, where the titans attacks begun in the middle ages, correct? This is why technological progress is somewhat diminished, so I'm guessing that nanomachines, utility fogs and other sci-fi Macguffins won't be part of the plot.

Judging by their rifles/cannons, they have at least a mid to late 19th-century level of technology (and that's ignoring all the weird technology that goes into their blades/3d gear).

edit: Modern-ish syringes also didn't exist until the 19th century!

It's my personal feeling that the world of Attack on Titan isn't meant to overlap with our world in any way.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

Gun technology didn't really progress because guns are pretty lovely against titans. All of their technical expertise was probably devoted to developing anti-titan weapons for obvious reasons. The 3d gear is what they came up with, and those are only moderately effective against titans.

Yeah, which implies that, if you wanted to map it against "real history", it would be at least mid to late 19th century (and probably later, given what you mentioned). But I don't really see any reason to assume that Attack on Titan takes place in the real world (or something that can be mapped to it in the sense of there being shared history, etc).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

change my name posted:

Except there is shared history, Sean and Bean were named after real people. Hanji said her story took place "500 years ago", which would set the series in 2100.

Hm, that's true. It still doesn't necessarily mean that the situation is such where from years X to Y history was the same as real life history, though. I'll just ignore the possibility of any overlapping with real life history unless the story explicitly makes it relevant.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Prof. Spectre posted:

Destroying the walls was a way to change the status-quo and maybe then liberate the titans that form the wall to rebuild a titan-shifting army against the monkey-titans.

While I don't necessarily think that liberating the wall titans was part of the motive behind breaking through the walls (since they just broke the gate and no wall titans were liberated*), changing the status-quo in a situation where the government inside the walls made a compromise like you mentioned is a good example of a motive that Bertholdt/Reiner's faction might have that isn't evil. It is certainly at least morally ambiguous, but I don't believe they broke through the wall for an "evil" reason. I think that I compared it to carpet bombing earlier in the thread; it's possible for large numbers of civilians to be killed in a war and for it to not be wrong**; in Reiner/Bertholdt's case, for example, there isn't really any other way they could have attacked the humans inside the walls. They would have ultimately been killed if they transformed inside the walls and tried fighting themselves.

*I say "liberated" since it seems to be the case that they were turned into the wall against their will; otherwise why would the priest be afraid of them being exposed to sunlight? If they did it voluntarily, there wouldn't be a problem with them temporarily regaining consciousness.

**Though in real life it turns out that most of the time it is wrong, even if you're talking about something like carpet bombing in World War 2. But it's possible to imagine a situation where technological limitations make it so that the only way you can end a war reasonably fast is to do something like carpet bomb industrial centers.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Squidster posted:

It's possible that's where Monkey Titan come from. He could have been sitting dormant in those walls, and been awoken by all the hullabaloo.

This probably isn't the case, given that we were actually shown one of the titans in the walls and it looks not-unlike the other human titan-shifters we've seen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Those scenes with Oluo/Aruo biting his tongue make me cringe more than anything else in this series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

trucutru posted:

Yeah, who knows how she became a mindless titan in the first place but it is pretty obvious to me that she (And Reiner, Annie, etc.) became a free-willed titan by eating one of them (And that they believe that Eren is the same, they obviously don't have all the information about the past either, that's why Historia is so important). There is something that creates mindless titans, that's why the walls were built, but we don't know the process and what it involves.

I don't remember them ever drawing any sort of causal link between the two things. We're told that Ymir ate Reiner/Bertholdt's friend and we're told that Ymir at some point stopped being mindless, but I don't think we're ever told "Ymir stopped being mindless immediately after eating Reiner/Bertholdt's friend," much less "Ymir stopped being mindless because of eating Reiner/Bertholdt's friend."

And even if that was the case, which I don't think it is, that in no way implies that eating a person is necessary to become a titan shifter. I think that whole idea is just the result of people over-analyzing the specific language used in the translation or having questionable reading comprehension skills.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ArchangeI posted:

Because cattle pens are well known not to have gates, either.

Well, they don't have gates that the cattle are capable of opening.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

After looking back over the pages following the one eladank just linked, I was reminded of this scene: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/10/25 I like how they show the fact that he is willing to completely ignore the blood on the guy's hand and say something to make him feel better as he dies, even if he acts like an OCD aloof badass most of the time.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 28, 2013

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

change my name posted:

Personally I love the idea that the rest of the world is fine, but they've just written off Germany because they're surrounded by giant monsters.

I find it really funny/interesting, but it wouldn't actually work well because it would in practice just end up like the ending of an M Night Shyamalan movie and there wouldn't be many places for the plot to go after the big reveal.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Genocyber posted:

In addition, the first time the graduating squad encountered titans Eren got his leg chomped off and Armin nearly got eaten, and then Eren got eaten when he saved Armin. The titan killing profession has a high turnover rate, but those that do stick around tend to last a while.

Yeah, it seems like if someone is skilled with using the 3DMG (and have access to good terrain) that they can win almost 100% of the time against a non-human-controlled titan. It's just that 3DMG must be unbelievably difficult to use, and merely being somewhat competent against titans is probably roughly comparable to being some athletic prodigy; your average (or even above-average) person would probably be devoting most of their attention towards just not falling, much less titan-killing. But people of the caliber of Levi's squad seem like they can handle more or less anything as long as they don't make a really bad mistake, and as a human-titan Annie was unlike anything they had fought up until that point.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

The thing that always always cheesed me off about this series is the one detail early on where they illustrated how futile it is to try to blow the titans' heads off with cannons. I think I'd have been fine with the conceit of having dudes swinging around Spiderman-style killing titans with fancy swords, if they didn't have guns and cannons. That chapter showed titans getting their heads clearly blown off. With a blow that's big enough to take the head off cleanly from the base of the neck, you'd imagine that it'd be enough to take out the person inside the neck in the area where they typically chop.

They say that cannons (particularly using grapeshot) actually are effective at killing titans in a defensive context. It's just that they're only useful defensively, when you can mount them up high on a wall or something.

The harpoon idea might work pretty well, but I don't have an issue with that level of suspension of disbelief. They do a pretty good job of explaining why guns/cannons aren't that useful, though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So, I just realized a thing.

Why don't they create a moat outside of the walls? That would pretty much be a perfect defense against Titans. Water isn't really necessary; normal titans have no way to climb a smooth wall.

The biggest issue would probably be digging the moat without getting eaten, but at the very least they could make one around the inner walls.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Squidster posted:

This week, Spoof on Titan brings us some James and the Colossal Peach.

I think that's referring to the Japanese Momotarou fable.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Where in the world did that armor serum come from? Why was it there?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder if there are other random titan modification serums. Like one that gives someone's titan form a huge dick or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm kind of happy that they didn't spend too much time showing Eren being all morally conflicted about titans being people. I was worried there would be like a 10 chapter long period where he was all unmotivated.

I wonder how monkey titan beat Reiner. Like, apparently he was just strong enough to break Reiner's armor with brute force, though I was under the impression that his armor was almost impossible to break.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm definitely still holding out for some sort of "the beyond the wall folks (Reiner/Bert/Annie/Monkey titan) were actually right" reveal at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder how monkey titan managed to store his glasses. He also seems pretty chipper when he came out titan form, instead of all feverish and what have you like I think literally every other shifter we've seen.