Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lih posted:

yeah it had an extremely strong start and then completely fell apart in the last third or so. its production was also truly disastrous as others have mentioned

This isn't too surprising to me. My only other exposure to that show's director is the early 00's J-drama "Strawberry on the Shortcake," and unless he changed his style significantly since then I'd expect the show to have a lot of intense melodrama that doesn't really lead anywhere satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ccs posted:

I never actually finished Escaflowne so I just have amazing memories of the first few episodes and the opening clip Yutaka Nakamura animated from the movie.

Escaflowne is the first anime in Japanese (I had watched dubbed Ranma 1/2 episodes that were extremely low resolution on RealPlayer before this, though can't remember why) I watched on subbed VHS I borrowed from someone at my high school.

It is extremely nostalgic in one of those weird ways where it makes you remember a lot of specific feelings from that period of your life.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That video is even worse than it might seem at a glance if you keep watching it. Literally directly comparing Haitian refugees to titans.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Beefstew posted:

Forums in general are dead, and SA is 23 years old and plagued by literal decades of drama and bad publicity. Lowtax killed it, then himself, and that was pretty much the final straw for a lot of the old guard. I bounce between a bunch of different subforums and it's like the same 15 motherfuckers posting everywhere.

I think that SA is actually more comparable to something like a Discord channel (with a bunch of subchannels) than Reddit. I think it strikes a sort of "happy medium" where there's a large enough number of people that conversations can keep going but also a small enough number that you end up recognizing many of the people who post about similar stuff to you and aren't just posting into the void in anonymity.

If I had to identify one fundamental difference, it's that the forum structure doesn't have the same "attention-based" incentive system as most other modern online communities (which includes the ones that are by far the most popular). Stuff like Reddit or Twitter tends to revolve around individuals getting/seeking attention from others (and directly rewards you for attention), but the way forums work (or at least ones like SA's where you can't like/dislike or upvote/downvote posts) doesn't really allow for that, at least in any sort of measurable way. Which is why I think it's more comparable with just "a set of chat-rooms."

Either way, I don't think I'd call it "dead" just because it can't compare with Reddit or the major social networks.