Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How do those people feel about the people packing heat during the Giffords shooting and what happened there?

Or, how do they feel about the fact that the post office hasn't received government funds in over 2 decades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Doctor Butts posted:

HIS tower did not fall down.
http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/catalog/video.html

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Shouldn't the story of Palestine be something conservatives really feel affinity for and support? I mean an entire people was evicted from their farms and homes by aliens, sent to live in horrible refugee camps, and they fought back. They've never fully given into oppression, they've just fought and fought and fought as best as they can. They've never accepted the crimes that caused their current condition, a lot of them have stayed steadfast. Isn't that something that conservatives could get behind?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It's the standard movie idea of a rag-tag group of resistance fighters against a monolithic entity, that's in so much of our culture, that's part of our history, made large and actually happening. But conservatives are against it simply because they're MOOSLEM? Really?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

e: Here's a good one.

quote:

JUDGE NOT

Yes, what the Marines did to the dead Taliban was wrong, but this government and those in command need to take a step back. War affects people differently, and if you spend a period of time in combat you may do things that are strange or out of place. Combat does that and people need to realize that. You are dealing with people who are trying to kill you and after going through that for a period of time you may do strange things.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ekplixi posted:

While we're on the subject of race, enjoy this classy letter from my local paper asserting that abortion is as bad as enslaving black people!

A few pages ago someone posted a letter that stated abortion was worse than what Jerry Sandusky did. Same paper. I'm losing faith in humanity.
Let's follow this letter down the rabbit hole. Let's accept the writer's assertion that Lincoln started the war as a holy crusade to abolish slavery. Let's also assume that he wants our current president, Barack Obama, to start similar action to stop the proponents of abortion. About 2% of the entire 1860 population of the USA was killed as a direct result of the Civil War, so following the logic of the letter writer, according to current estimates, he'd accept the deaths of about six and a quarter million American citizens to abolish abortion.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Feather posted:

Sounds about right. If we lived in any kind of rational world, these people would be locked up in mental hospitals and treated for whatever mental illness they have. They're demented, delusional, and dangerous.
That's not a good view to hold at all. The people who write these letters are, despite their twisted views, American citizens. We have to live with people who hold political views opposite ours, no matter how loving insane they are. We also have to accept that they are also tax-paying and voting members of our country. Calling such people crazy is just one way to otherize them in a dangerous way. We're all Americans, together, whether we like it or not. Personally I hate like poison people who write letters such as that. Even if you disagree with them, at least please respect them as American citizens. I'm saying this as a former LF poster.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If you're so against the idea of not calling humans with opposing, ridiculous views completely insane people who deserve to be institutionalized because you share the same landmass with them, at least try and think that they're still human beings. Rational, reasonable human beings who are completely loving nuts.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Bruce Leroy posted:

I want to develop a time machine (TARDIS, DeLorean, etc.) solely to bring Karl Marx, Friedrich Engels, Leon Trotsky, and other communist luminaries to the present just to give them all strokes from apoplectic rage after seeing how little people understand what communism, Marxism, etc. actually are.
Hell, people in this country don't even know how to do militarism right. Where's all the rhetoric we used to have about giving veterans government bonuses and houses and hospitals?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

I want to bring Adam Smith to the modern era, give him a baseball bat and let him beat on people who think he was a crazy right-wing free-market fundamentalist.
Patricians of the Roman Empire, people who supported loving the living earth over for as many minerals as they could extract with their technology, who drove plants and animals into extinction for their own pleasure, who owned slaves, who supported an oligarchical system ruled by the rich, and who forced their tenants into a pseudo-feudalism, would be considered insufficiently conservative by the right-wing Americans of the 21st century. After all, they supported free donations of food to people without any proof of income, they were all for redistribution of land in the form of government grants to veteran farmers, and they extended citizenship to thousands of foreigners who may have entered their Empire illegally. Liberal loving bastards.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

The Star Tribune had this genuinely terrible Commentary today:

An awful lot of :biotruths: and just generally spiteful hate for people outside the perceived norm there. Emphasis on some really lovely parts is mine. That body of social science that is overwhelmingly against gay couples raising kids apparently doesn't include crazy fringe groups like the American Psychological Association.
Couldn't a lot of this person's arguments against gay people raising children also be used against single parents of either sex? What about a kid who lost both parents in a terrible tragedy and was then raised by two wonderful, loving grandparents?

edit:
This part is just one of the bits I'm talking about.

quote:

The Minnesota Marriage Protection Amendment simply preserves our current, timeless definition of marriage in our state Constitution, recognizing that kids do best when raised by their married mother and father.
Even if you hate gays, that's still telling thousands upon thousands of people that they'll never be able to raise their children correctly. Even if you hate single parents, that's still saying the same thing to married heterosexual people who are trying to raise adopted children, grandchildren, nieces or nephews.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 22, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Also, on a non-political note, that journal the writer cites, Child Trends, sounds like a trade publication for witches who fatten up children so they can eat them.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Here you go guys, fresh meat. Feed, feed. It's from 11/12.

quote:

Election was a nightmare

To the Times:

This election is proof positive that Americans have lost their ability to think as individuals. It has become a nation of gullible sheep who follow a leader who is in sheep’s clothing. From the first big lie where we were told that Obamacare would not cover illegals and it does; through a series of misrepresentations too numerous to mention; to the most recent outrage of Benghazi, where four innocent Americans were murdered on Sept. 11, 2012.

In this latest incident most of the news outlets refused to tell the unvarnished truth of the attack in an effort to protect the election of a president who has done nothing to strengthen our country. Did the people look for the truth? No! Nothing in our educational system teaches them how think for themselves.

Instead, they blindly followed the story about an obscure video, which the president blamed for the incident, when the truth is that the video had nothing to do with the attack. These brave Americans did not have to die. It was their misfortune to be in the service of a president who did not value their lives.

Compounding the problem, news outlets ran with the story about the video instead of looking for the truth.

There was a time in the past when the news media tried to out scoop one another with a scandalous report. Now they hide the truth and peddle their political pandering to the public. In my humble opinion, they are complicit and should be considered “accessories after the fact” for covering up this heinous crime against America.

The really sad part of all of this is the election was won by attack ads that displayed the most unsavory method of political tripe. And gullible Americans became a party to the dirty politics by not looking for the truth. Our Founding Fathers gave their fortunes and their lives in the battle for a free America and this year America gave up their freedoms without even thinking about it. God help us!

If the president really cared about his constituency, a portion of the money that was spent on all of those attack ads would have been given to the poor and needy. Instead, it was used to keep him in the most lavish lifestyle that any president before him has been the beneficiary of. Talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words.

Wake up, America. If you think the last four years was hard, hold onto your seats. And if you don’t have a seat to hold on to, I’m sure this president will find a way to take somebody else’s seat and give it to you.

Luckily I live in one of the bluest states in the entire goshdarn country and people like this do not get put in charge of things here.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Here's a bonus:

quote:

FEELING A DRAFT
I think its funny that Bill Clinton has got to be kicking himself for dodging the draft with all the affairs going on in the military. I guess he could have had more fun had he not avoided the draft.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

What's wrong with wanting to work at a nail salon? Why should that be looked down upon? It seems like it'd be a cool place to work for a chatty girl who's into that kind of stupid bullshit.

Well, it would be if you didn't have to be a captain of industry in order to not have every other aspect of your life ruined.

You shouldn't want to be the person who makes it possible for capitalists to be capitalists: capitalists admit this.
What the hell? I believe the guy was saying that it is wrong for certain girls to believe that the best possible job they could get, a "dream job", is working in a nail salon. As in, it's wrong for them to think that that is the upper limit of what they can strive for. I don't see at all how the dude was saying that working in a nail salon is to be looked down upon.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I love the guy's thought process in this letter.

No need to raise taxes for good roads

quote:

Delaware doesn't need to raise the gas tax to pay for road improvements.

The state already has the money; we just need fiscally responsible politicians to recover it.

Polls show that Americans believe governments at all levels waste from 38 cents to 51 cents of every dollar spent.

If the state of Delaware wastes "only" 25 cents of every dollar spent, then one-quarter of the state budget is wasted.

And if the state budget for 2104 is $3.8 billion, Delaware will waste $95 million, more than enough to pay for the road improvements, and a tax cut to boot, all in just one year.

Delaware doesn't have an income problem; Delaware has a huge spending and waste problem. Are there any fiscally responsible politicians in the state?

Peter Dietz

Wilmington

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Shocking news about our disrespectful President.

quote:

Watching the D-Day ceremonies on television was both a moving and gut-wrenching experience. Having heard first-hand from my father about that day, June 6, 1944, was something I will never forget. What I will also never forget or forgive, is the pictures of President Barack Obama chewing gum for much of the ceremonies.

Like most of our World War II veterans (our Greatest Generation), my father is now gone, as are the thousands buried at Normandy and throughout this great country. They deserved better.

Patrick A. McGrath

Wilmington

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

More fun views from The First State.

quote:

Worthless legislators seek to end rights

We are under the mistaken impression that we send representatives and senators to Dover and Washington to protect our rights and freedoms. All they seem to want, is to see their name in the legislative record for sponsoring a bill, any bill, no matter how mediocre or ill conceived. They have the ability to make law, therefore they think they must make law, wrong. The citizens are no longer falling for the hype of "look at how many bills I've gotten passed." We're looking at the effect and necessity of these bills, just ask Eric Cantor. Really, we all know how much criminals fear legislation, like gun-free zones. Criminals obey gun laws as well as most politicians honor their oath of office.

States that have the most restrictive gun legislation also have the highest gun-involved crime rates.

Criminals know the citizen has no legal ability to self protect. Criminals also know the well-prepared citizen can be very detrimental to their chosen career. The police can't protect you; only investigate after the crime has been committed. Let's try looking at states that have low gun-involved crime and investigate that – what a concept.

For those that don't want a weapon, that feel their life and the life of their family are not worth protecting, it's easy; don't buy a weapon. That's your right, but don't you dare to interfere with my God-given rights.

Richard McKinley

Fenwick Island

That one's a doozy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm sure everyone's sick of me posting crazy letters from Delaware, the most liberal state in the country, but this one is utterly insane.

quote:

Immigration or invasion at US borders?

What is going on in the southwest U.S. is nothing short of an invasion across the U.S. borders. Yes, these people might be trying to find a better/safer situation, but this is not the way. It is certainly not the way immigrants came into the U.S. over 150 years ago from Ireland, Italy, Germany and elsewhere.

What has to be done for those not sent back:

• Southwest governors must secure their borders.

• These individuals must be documented coming in, and a timeline on where they go, and what they are doing.

• Not all are children. As media pictures show, many are teenagers and adults.

• Everyone should have to pass a medical exam.

• Females 10 and older should be required to have birth control administered.

• Those 5 or older should immediately start learning English language and other education.

If anyone thinks they are going to be safer here, take a close look at the violence and gangs in L.A., Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta – and our own Wilmington.

Nolan Williams

Milford
Yes, Irish, Italians, and Germans, all groups of immigrants who immediately learned English and were never involved in gangs. Also, mandatory birth control for immigrant females 10 and older??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

No, I understand where the guy is getting that position, with all the recent conservative hysteria surrounding "invasion by birth canal", I'm just trying to wrap my head around the fact that the author wants an America where the government polices the uterus of a 10 year old, or that the person who wrote that letter, who probably believes themselves a patriot, thinks that the true America is a place where that kind of fascist control over daily life should happen.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Not a single bit of PIV involved in creating Jesus, and he took away all our sins. :smug:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I get such a serious :godwinning: vibe from this letter, I'm not even 100% sure it's real.

quote:

Wasn't it nice our president came to Delaware to inspect the bridge reconstruction? It appears the other "major" issues within our country take second precedence. And what about the issue of allowing a number of the illegal immigration of children to be housed in Delaware? These immigrants are bringing lice and diseases into our country. Of course, this will end up being the U.S. taxpayers' responsibility to pay for all of this. When are our government officials going to wake up and set the proper priorities?

Patricia Scott

Newark

Emphasis mine.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

That's not :godwin: at all, that's good-old all-American nativism. That whole "immigrants are foreign and probably bring disease! :ohdear:" thing has been around since before George Washington's time.
What made it :godwinning: to me was specifically the mention of lice. Something about that made it stand out to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Why did they have any student debt at all when they could've just paid for school with a summer job and maybe a few shifts at the dining hall?

• Locked thread