Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Bruce Leroy posted:

I totally agree with you, but isn't it kind of a "chicken and the egg" thing with these conflicts over what their true "bases" are?

E.g. how do we determine whether it was ethnic tensions or religious conflict that came first in engendering the hatred that led to violence in the Balkans? We know that both are important causes for the conflict, but how do we know which came first and which is more influential and fundamental to the hatred and conflict?

Was the sentiment among the Serbians that committed genocide against Muslim Bosnians (A) "We hate those filthy Bosnians and they're evil Muslims, too" or (B) "We hate those loving Muslims and they're even worse because they're Bosnian, too"?

Yeah this article is terrible but it raises an interesting point that with or without religion people find reasons to otherize and kill each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Quetzadilla posted:

If you don't already know this, it's worth noting that these pieces are generally written by industry advocates (lobbying groups) in an attempt to intentionally mislead readers. That's why the one on fracking is long, extremely well-written, seemingly well-researched while still being completely disingenuous, and also not credited to an author (not even a first name). I would know, I got paid to write them.

I highly recommend checking out Gasland if you haven't already or aren't that well-versed in fracking but want to know more about its effects. The documentary isn't loaded with a lot of info, and pretty much everything in the film is just anecdotal experiences because the director set out to document a personal journey rather than make an expose` about natural gas, but it's still pretty compelling.

http://ohiocitizen.org/?p=7479
This is a link to part of a document that an Ohio resident found in her driveway some time after being approached to lease her land for fracking. It is a guide of talking points for agents of fracking companies to use while talking to homeowners. It gives you an idea of how disingenuous energy companies can be when trying to get people to sign leases. Major talking points include "talk about independence from foreign oil!" and "just get them to sign any kind of lease and then we can do whatever we want and legal can deal with it later."

• Locked thread