Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

cheerfullydrab posted:

Not a single bit of PIV involved in creating Jesus, and he took away all our sins. :smug:

I'm not sure about that. At least all his of maternal great-grandparents had PIV. And Joseph's lineage involved a lot of PIV and was very important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Look, the important thing is that we all agree that it matters. If nothing else, it gave Jesus's siblings something to brag about and I imagine they had a strong need to brag about something.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Back in the day, weren't the pyramids supposed to be, like, giant grain silos mentioned in the Bible?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
They incentivized him to do better next time by giving him a raise.

Edit: Is there a way to figure out who wrote it? Get Anonymous on the case or something along those lines?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/magazine/the-death-of-adulthood-in-american-culture.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSum&module=second-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0
]A.O. Scott has managed to top himself:[/url]

quote:

This slow unwinding has been the work of generations. For the most part, it has been understood — rightly in my view, and this is not really an argument I want to have right now — as a narrative of progress. A society that was exclusive and repressive is now freer and more open. But there may be other less unequivocally happy consequences. It seems that, in doing away with patriarchal authority, we have also, perhaps unwittingly, killed off all the grown-ups.

He goes on to whine about how women have all the power and heterosexual men are losers.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Valhawk posted:

Ummmm... Did you read the whole article? That portion is talking about depictions in American media, and he ends it by embracing the expansion of women's roles in modern fiction and declaring that all the worrying about the death of adulthood is overblown.

I took it more as "well, these are all theoretically good things but I don't like them because they are new and different."

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
As long as we call them "females" it's OK.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I love raw milk because it is delicious and great for making cheeses. However, it is also dangerous. Given the state of agribusiness in America, I do not trust regulations to actually protect me, so I prefer an outright ban. If I really want raw milk, I can find some farmers willing to work out a deal and get it directly from the farm (or have them illegally deliver it to me, which is what I did when I lived in Indiana). The trick is that because it is illegal, you have to be careful on both sides. There is still the threat of law to keep them in line, since they shouldn't be selling it away, so the only people doing it are heavily enriched for people who know how to do it safely. Then it is just the game of "spot the unreliable shyter who doesn't know what he is doing."

The current illegal status of raw milk is a great thing for people who like raw milk. It is a bad thing for lazy, ignorant people. The system works.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
http://1000waystodie.wikia.com/wiki/Tapped_Out

I think this proves that LED lights are bad and will kill you.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
To be fair though, as an American, we shouldn't really pay attention to people making less than US$18K/mo. They can't really understand freedom, so at best we can be caretakers to keep them virtuous.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

That's not entirely true, "cinephile". Ebert basically made it OK to like movies artistically without being that guy who likes artistic movies.

It's like an alternate universe Brechtianism. When he rejected the stuffiness that is a cultural component of High Art, he incorporated it because, hey, Mozart is pop music.

Warhol

I love latin poetry, man. The best ones are from Pompeii. That's the poo poo that is enduring, right?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The three people who have posted that image on my facebook are all incredibly hardcore losers. None of them have developed since High School and even then they were . . . damaged goods.

Video games are a very recent medium and as low as you can possibly get when it comes to art. They are fun, I like playing them. But outside of learning to read and spell (thanks Roberta Williams!) or learning Caribbean geography and how piracy changed on the Spanish Main from the late 16th to the early 18th century (I'm aging myself here, insert whatever historical period games taught you about) there isn't really anything edifying about them.

Which is too bad. Since it is an interactive medium it seems like there could be a lot of opportunities to present new ways of living and different experiences. I'm not looking for Ulysses or Proust here. Something on the level of Maus would be fine. But the Gamergate crowd is really pushing them "Michael Bay is a great artist" angle.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Uroboros posted:

This I don't really agree with at all. Like any other medium they can be absolute poo poo, and are absolute poo poo a vast majority of the time, but calling them the lowest form of art is an insult to some very creative and talented individuals.

Low art isn't necessarily a bad thing. Like most things, due to the post-modern world we inhabit, the distinction between high and low art has gotten blurred [blah blah blah Banksy blah blah blah Art Spiegelman] such that "low" art isn't an insult. But who is trying to elevate the medium? What is the Battleship Potemkin of video games? Who is the Fritz Lang? What is the equivalent of Italian neorealism? What can video games teach me about the human condition?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
A great article, thanks! Though I think it is funny that it literally started out by pointing out a potential problem with gaming journalism and a quip about "seducing" chicks.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Pierson posted:

[*]Kickstarter and crowd-funding resurrecting the space-combat genre from a grave nobody thought it would ever climb out of.

As someone working in sales, I agree that an effective pitch is an art all its own. But while a good pitch is art, the reason why it is art is that the product is immaterial. Actually, I take that back. I was asking the wrong question. Chris Roberts is sort of a fusion of Dali-Duchamp-MacGregor fusion. I can get behind this poo poo!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

With the advent of digital gaming, people who pay $60 for a game look like chumps, especially if it turns out the game is bad. Most games can be had for $5 within 3-4 months of release, unless they are console only.

That has always been the case though. I generally wait for a game I want to play to hit that sweet ~$10 mark but you know when Morrowind came out I was buying that poo poo the first week it was out. I was willing to pay a premium for that early experience. Go back another 10 years and you've got people not seeing movies in the theater when they could rent it at Blockbuster. The same argument goes round and round. Nothing wrong with being an early adopter. Just recognize that the motives of early adopters are going to be different than the motives of other folk. Nothing wrong with either and neither makes you a "chump".

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You joke, but being an "early adopter" means you are willing to accept some lemons. They've got the kind of money where they buy $300+ watch prototypes of kickstarter. They can afford a $60 game here-and-there like it ain't no thing. If it sucks, it is pennies to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Say what you will about Minnesota, but it's not Wisconsin.

• Locked thread