Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hasters posted:

It's not so much talking as reading, I should have said. It's hard to go a day reading news in the LGBT community without someone telling me that my marriage is wrong, I'm wrong for being in a monogamous relationship and everyone is supposed to cheat all the time.

So you seek out news published by a sexual minority discussing different ways people deal with being a sexual minority and get all offended when they talk about what they share as a community, namely nontraditional sex and relationships? It's easy not to read LGBT community discussions, but I forgot that as a straight man you have the right to walk into any group and demand they discuss your concerns, because God forbid any part of society not be about you.

Do you read Christian newsletters and get pissed off that they have to mention Jesus all the time?

El Pollo Blanco posted:

As a person who has literally never seen any news from LBGT communities saying that heterosexual monogamous relationships are 'wrong', do you have any sources on this?
You have to put it through your privilege filter first:
-Was the article focused on the concerns of a community of which you're not a part?
-Did an article suggest that values other than yours may have some validity?
-Does it discuss issues without assuming your worldview as the default normal condition and treating everything else as a bizarre or hilarious aberration?
-Does it conclude without an apology for being different and reassuring noises that it's okay to be in the majority?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then it's a spiteful attack condemning your holy hetero way of life and :qq: Why are you so hateful and oppressive towards my marriage :qq: You just don't know what it's like not to have your relationship celebrated everywhere you go :qq:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hey straight people getting supes mad, you do know there are legit Tumblr style 'activists' in our community who whinge about 'heteronormative' things like getting married and having kids and poo poo right? Like, yea it doesn't happen at every corner but there are some annoying factions that think anyone who gets married and has kids and poo poo is just acting straight to fit in or whatever, and it actually is a legit discussion in our community.

I tend to encounter the opposite problem here in Texas of people who shame you for wanting anything other than a monogamous marriage, and posts about "oh no wonder we don't have the right to get married when we act like whores and Pride parades horrify straight people with all tthis lewdness".

I've never encountered any criticism of being a "gay traitor" in real life down here.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 7, 2013

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

These people are idiots but they were not the focus of this article, this guy is basically another version of these people because his view is "you MUST be monogamous" as opposed to "you MUST NOT be monogamous" whereas sane, rational human beings say "it's your own drat relationship and none of my business." The thing that really makes me angry about the article is the notion that gay people must conform to a certain standard of behavior as to avoid offending and alienating straight people. Not only is that not equality and not what we have spent decades fighting for but it's completely divorced from reality. We didn't achieve the progress we have made by hiding all of that icky gay stuff from the general public, we got it by slowly making the public more accepting of homosexuality and the gay community over time. When the LGBT rights movement first started the very idea of a gay person was offensive to the majority, following this idiot's line of logic they should have just stayed in the closet forever.

Yeah, the whole argument is that oppressed groups need to shape up live up to standards set by straight white cis-men to prove they should be granted human rights, without questioning why those men get human rights at birth along with the luxury of judging who else is worthy to be treated like people. As if the bigots have just been falling all over themselves to accept us but every time we're about to win equal treatment, someone shows up somewhere in a golden speedo or assless chaps and the deal is off.

That and "ew don't bring up your gross icky non-monogamous lifestyle. Keep it in the bedroom where it belongs, we don't have to hear about your relationships all the time! You don't see me shoving my monogamy in your face!"
*Brings his husband along to everything without a second thought*
*Posts public lovey-lovey messages on social media*
*Uploads a million photos of romantic cruises and getaways*
*Shows affection in public without fear of judgment from fellow LGBT people*
*Isn't shamed by the community into hiding his relationship*

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 7, 2013

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Did he read Starship Troopers and assume Heinlein was being totally serious?

There are plenty of countries with military juntas if he loves the idea of being ruled by veterans so much.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 11, 2013

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

The LGBT lobby has warped my relationship with students, my relationship with gay friends, my relationship with the press, my relationship with bosses at the university, my relationship with readers, and saddest of all, my relationship with my own family. My relatives, all well-intended liberal devotees of the New York Times, will believe what Frank Rich or Maureen Dowd writes about gays before they believe me, their own brother.

He's an English professor, isn't he? I love that because he can't rant about how evil and terrible and promiscuous any gay students he might have are without facing professional repercussions, he considers the relationship horribly warped.

"I just want to tell a gay student what degenerate worthless scum he is, but the :bahgawd:LBGT lobby:bahgawd: won't let me have a normal relationship consisting of despising them for something irrelevant to their performance. GOD!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Guilty Spork posted:

I wouldn't even know where to begin picking pieces to quote from this WSJ piece about how the elite WASP overlords were honorable and everything was way better before the meritocracy that we supposedhahahaha WTF

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304367204579268301043949952

You should suggest people take a shot every time they encounter "WASP" twice in the same sentence*.

*Don't do this, I don't want alcohol poisoning deaths on my conscience

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

You take life advice from SA? :psyduck:

May I direct you to the E/N forum, sir.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

In Singapore public gatherings of more than five people need a government permit, there's no trial by jury and being found guilty of murder and certain drug crimes is a mandatory death sentence by hanging. The government is also a majority shareholder in most of the major domestic companies. But they have low taxes, so second freest!

No, see Singapore is more free, because heterosexuals in Singapore are not oppressed by the spectre of LGBT people walking the streets un-imprisoned, un-beaten, and un-murdered :freep:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I love that the slope goes almost vertical by about 32% tax rate.

Apparently all we need to do to double corporate tax revenue is cut 1% off the rate :downs:

But don't bump it up 1% or we'll collect zero! :ohdear:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You might want to revisit your definition of "passable" if it includes criminalizing a minority of people with all of the enabling of police harassment of that minority that it entails.

I can't tell if it's funnier that the WSJ defines freedom as "the freedom of the majority to oppress anyone they like" and "the freedom of the rich to exploit the poor"...or that they pretty obviously just begged the question and ranked countries by economic growth regardless of their policies so they could prove "freedom" helps the economy while simultaneously demanding America move away from the policies of the "most free" countries on the list.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Entropic posted:

But are those the actual data points used to generate the curve, or an assortment of example countries being compared to the curve?

The curve was generated from those actual data points, I believe by the Gaussian Greatest-Root-Mean-Squared-Error algorithm.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

bobservo posted:

I also enjoyed the sentiment that they willed food allergies away by being strict.

No no! He's not saying that! Remember he's "not a doctor". But, you know, if your kid doesn't want to eat something because it gives him stomach pains/hives/anaphylactic shock, then he kinda sounds like a whiner and if you let him eat something else you're an enabler.

Friends don't let friends die from peanut allergies, but you, mom and dad, not supposed to be your kids "friends".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah sorry when someone starts heavily implying that loving food allergies are just made-up whiny bullshit, then I'm not inclined to give the rest of their crap the benefit of the doubt when it comes to what affirming, supportive parents they were.

And when it comes to their list of Things Only Affluent White People Can Do, let's add "badger and threaten their suburban school into waiving academic requirements for advanced classes".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Don't forget, a lower percentage of the British population died in World War I than they did during the English Civil War, you know that war that was fought almost exclusively on British territory when both sides were British! How marvelously humane! :histdowns:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 21, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

They're doing this because it takes 100 years for everyone to forget how horrible and pointless total war is, and the usual interests can once again drum up jingoism and militarism so the people will back whatever horrible slaughters serve the commercial interests of the moneyed classes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

They're doing it because they're personally military fetishists and actually believe it. Not everything in the world is a scheme, for god's sake.

Oh I'm sure the person who wrote that drivel is personally a military fetishist fuckwit. I'm sure he would not benefit personally from war, in fact I bet a real war would ruin him. That has nothing to do with why the owners of the media relentlessly push pro military messages though, and why fuckwits like him get center stage.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

thefncrow posted:

On the off chance it did happen, the reason the school let their kids into AP classes after failing entrance tests wasn't "We had proven we could drive a kid to succeed in that environment", it was "Jesus gently caress, another one of their kids failed an entrance exam, now they're going to come scream at us until they're blue in the face again. gently caress it, let them in."

I don't know, at my school you were required to have gotten at least a B in whatever subject the previous year to be allowed to sign up for the AP version of it, but if you didn't qualify all you had to do to get in AP anyway was to have your parents sign a form saying they understand it's a college level class so if you fail they can't come to the school later and ask "well why did you let my kid take such a hard class?"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Whom did they screw over? The workers in the publishing and entertainment industries who do the essential work to bring their works to the public at large yet don't receive a living wage, that's whom.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah if I tweeted #theskyisblue and Michelle Malkin agreed with me, I would reconsider my position on the subject...and probably apologize publicly to the Japanese communit just to be sure.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

And this guy is the most senior enlisted person in the Marine Corps...

Joke's on us. The whole point of creating the Sergeant Major of Every X rank in the first place was to give the enlisted soldiers an advocate in tne Pentagon and provide the top brass with the enlisted perspective.

Leave it to the Marines to get it exactly backwards :roflolmao:

No but seriously, he should take E-1 salary, no BAH so he can get in on that all-important thrift and discipline. Set the example for your troops Sergeant Major, you've got nothing to lose but the waste and sloth of a six-figure paycheck! :patriot:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why aren't you loving everything that moves right now?! Your prudery could be depriving us of poets greater than Keats, scientists greater than Newton!
:pervert:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Even worse, how many of those babies may have grown up to be abortion doctors? Or gotten abortions themselves?

Abortion just may be our biggest preventer of abortion. :aaaaa:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"I didn't sell out, son. I bought in. Keep that in mind."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's so offensive to suggest my mom is conservative rear end in a top hat when I bitch about her saying something a conservative rear end in a top hat would say and then ask the internet why she would say that.

I mean, I'm glad she's not, but you did heavily imply that she used to be leftist and now she's not, and then asked what caused it ;)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 19, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

I guess simply trying to force people to stop having sex isn't going far enough for the GOP now, they have to force you to stop even talking about it. I also love how this guy goes out of his way to inform everyone that he's a virgin, but I bet if I told him I was gay he would say that's a private matter and that I shouldn't shove it in his face.

Even gold-star gays don't go around telling women at the gym to shut up about sex because the female body makes them uncomfortable; nor make a big show of pretending as hard as possible not to get any heterosexual sex joke ever because they've never experienced such a thing.

I love that he thinks being a virgin is what scandalizes people instead of the fact that he's loudly going up to everyone and demanding they never mention ladyparts in public ever again.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

A lot of comments in that article boil down to "it's not fair that when I make my sexual preference to be abstinent public, people make fun of me!" which is pretty obviously hypocritical of right wing Christians.

To be fair, I do regret sending him to a virgin-conversion camp to be brutalized into abandoning his sick prudish perversion and loving everything that moves instead.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

"Ahem, m'ladies, please do not make jokes I do not understand for while I may appear on the outside to be an adult to you, I am actually a child.

You see, I was at this carnival in Jersey and there was this gypsy fortune teller machine and..."

"...and as I looked down at the printed ticket I beheld the cryptic words: 'Welcome to the Republican Party' "

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Does somebody wanna help me out with this?

It's not that hard: if you get gay enough, you loop back around and begin loving the opposite sex.

The same thing happens with straights, just check out any frat or military barracks. Get too straight and you'll find yourself sucking dick. It's like a law of nature: one day you're a proud, manly-man Prussian general, shooting and riding and camping with the boys, disdaining women and throwing off femininizing influences in society, worshiping the masculine ideal of brotherhood, the strong manly form, and then oh poo poo.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

I know you are kidding but I wish it was that easy.

Think Kinsey scale. She might be considered a 1.0001 (or 5.9999 I forget the direction it goes). She just found the exception to her general rule. That said

5.999 is correct

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Internet Webguy posted:

Sorry feminists, your world of woman being safe to have fun at parties is an impossible utopia. You just have to identify and sever your relationships with all possible rapists.

This is so weird to me. A guy who waits until people at a party get drunk to start stealing phones or ipods or rifles through people's things is roundly condemned, and nobody goes "hey don't go to parties and get drunk if you don't want to be pickpocketed" because our expectations of respect for people's property don't go away just because the victim had a few. But a girl gets raped and suddenly "oh well swear off alcohol and social events forever and this won't happen!"

Ahahaha wow, is it still a dogwhistle if it's sounding a strong Concert A?

I love the complete rejection of evidence and testimonials with "Ah but did you get the opinion of every single slave? No? Oh well then some of them probably liked slavery" mixed with the usual Αustrian contempt for empirical facts ":wotwot:A slaveowner has an economic incentive to treat his slaves well to maximize his profit, because obviously mistreating slaves could never bring in a few extra bucks and also humans are perfectly rational utility-maximizing machines who would never beat or rape a slave for emotional reasons :downs:"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 5, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Elie Weisel was just one voice. Have we heard from all eight million camp inmates? We musn't draw any conclusions as long as there might be someone out there who had a grand old time as a concentration camp inmate.

And anyway, the Jews, Slavs, and Roma were essential forced labor for German war industries, so the Nazis had every inventive to keep them healthy and strong if they wanted to win the war.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

They should have just left the entire review in the quotes, because it wasn't just that sentence people were criticizing. That review was hosed up from head to toe.

They link to the original review now and the entire thing is in quotes :roflolmao:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hahaha. So he was too chickenshit to go to Vietnam by his own choice, but he totally would have picked up a rifle if the only alternative was literal prison...and that's why this guitar-plucker has the moral high ground to demand WWII-level deaths of hundreds of thousands of young men in the sands of the Middle East.

At least John Mccain had the stones to go fight in one of the endless wars he loves so much. Chickenhawks are dickless scum.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 8, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Hahaha anyone who talks poo poo about war and then says "well uh my draft number was super low and I didn't volunteer or anything" can be slapped across their fat face.

He would have stepped up if only he'd had a real leader as President to inspire him

quote:

Anyone can lead people who are willing and eager to go. Can you, will you lead people who are not willing, but need to go?

Don't make LBJ's mistake, Mister Obama. Round up every loudmouth war-hungry country singer and put them on the front lines so they'll never grow old to regret staying home and cheering on the war in comfort and safety. :patriot:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:gop:
Uh, did he just quote the Nazis as inspiration for his little Baby Jesus Holy War plan?

You know what, even laying aside the moral aspects of going to the Nazis for some good ideas...Maybe we shouldn't go with the literal worst failures in history at winning the support of civilian populations and defeating partisans and guerillas?
:wtc:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

N00ba the Hutt posted:

Aren't campaigns like this how you're supposed to change corporate policies in 'MURIKA, since government action is bad? Though I guess the real problem is that there's not just instant agreement with pronouncements from the corporate overlords.

Much like how the free market is the perfect the solution to discrimination, it's the perfect solution to environmentalism unless it actually starts solving environmental problems and then it's just like the Gestapo.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Time can dull the pain...but it can never erase...the imgur memes :911:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

goku im piss posted:

If you throw people's interests, hobbies, livelihoods, whatever into a fire and expect them to be fine with it, I'm not entirely surprised you don't understand why they would stop supporting causes that don't directly affect them.

I heard one time somebody criticized a movie I like on feminists grounds, now I vote male chauvinism every time. I hope you liked critiquing my movie ladies, enjoy your back-alley abortions and repeal of women's suffrage.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

goku im piss posted:

One more vote that obviously wasn't needed or wanted, right?
No. Getting that vote was never possible.
Anyone who claims to be a liberal but votes neocon because a woman critiqued a videogame is lying. That person is a neocon looking for an excuse to vote neocon. There was no chance of getting the vote of someone who enjoys seeing the legal system used to hurt all women everywhere.

It reminds me of people who say they weren't racist until black people started complaining about racism all the time and now those uppity blacks turned them racist. No. No they didn't, that person was always just loving racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

Somehow I don't think anyone immature enough to decide to betray all women, or liberals, or America because they think somebody is demonizing video games or people who play video games has very much sympathy for anyone else anyway.

Plus like, it makes no sense. The Democrats don't want to ban videogames or ban titties in videogames. There's literally no reason to vote Republican over video games unless your real motive is banning abortions and birth control just to make women miserable.

Hell, if I were going to take odds on which of the two parties is more likely to ban titties in videogames, it'd be the loving Republicans, you know the same people who want to ban pornography, want the FCC fining the Superbowl over broadcasting too much of a breast at halftime, and are always on some crusade or other to ban something sexually or spiritually immoral and enforce their prudish religion on the land :psyduck:

Like what the gently caress. If you want to see some titty while you're playing XBox, the party of religious zealots should be your last choice :psylon: Unless, as stated, you're actually fine with a theocracy banning your precious video games because you'd get to see them go after women.

• Locked thread