Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I think people have this fantasy that if the South had won the war, Robert E Lee, Renaissance Man, would have ensured that the slaves would have been freed anyway. They were just fighting against the federal encroachment of their rights, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

It would be interesting to see how that rate changed between the two Gulf wars. The Frontline article mentioned that child mortality had increased significantly, so it's probably safe to say that there was some level of decline in the education they were getting.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

He's literally talking about focusing on the cause of diseases over the symptoms and you're complaining?

He wants to spend less on tertiary care. Tertiary care is literally the most expensive way to treat patients. Primary care saves money for everybody involved. This man is arguing for greater funding on social programs and you're complaining because hes a conservative.

No, he actually argued against funding programs to prevent disease. He wants money spent on treatments that can be given after someone gets sick.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

So, bribes are bad, but professional bribers have an unfair advantage, so we should legalize this immoral thing in order to create a level playing field. But also, bribes are OK if they're used to circumvent laws that get in the way of a giant multinational corporation setting up shop, driving down wages and bankrupting small local businesses.

Makes perfect sense. :signings:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Can't you see? Marriage is about turning women into baby factories. If we start letting in people who only want use it as an expression of their love, then hetero women might also start thinking that their union is based on more than just procreation. What relationship could stand up in the face of such artificially high expectations? :ohdear:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Is that the one where he saves everyone by showering people in wildflower petals from his military helicopter?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Bruce Leroy posted:

That hat rules and she seems much warmer in that picture than in any footage or pictures I've ever seen of other royalty like Queen Elizabeth II.

It's funny how they are more disturbed that they aren't allowed to be armed at all times to respond with lethal force to any perceived threat instead of being alarmed at living in a society where being armed is perceived as a necessity to remain safe. Imagine if a fraction of the effort, time, and resources spent on gun rights and advocacy was expended on actually reducing crime, recidivism, violence, and other problems.

From the Canadian politics thread:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Glitterbomber posted:

Since I'm a huge nerd all I can think of is him one day rolling out the hit new site, ReganReganRegan.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkVYggeEfXk

Russian Martian Reagan would be an awesome player character.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

And of course it becomes far easier to oppress a group that doesn't have any voting rights. Stripping felons of the right to vote is bad enough as it is.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Well, aside from the racism, corruption and vindictiveness the article kinda forgot to mention, isn't it also right? I certainly don't consider Obama or Clinton left-leaning.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

MisterBadIdea posted:

I can't think of distinctions less important. Apparently being around a gay person is too stressful for a football player and just on its own would destroy a team.

I think it might be important, but for the opposite reason they bring up. Imagine how oppressive an environment like that would be if if overtly anti-gay comments and behaviours are the norm in all the situations he describes.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I thought sanctity-of-life types hated in-vitro fertilisation because of all unused embryos it produces.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

This is only tangentially related to the article, but the walled garden approach in the US with insurance companies and doctors breaks my mind.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Getting back to "nerds are loving awful" it really can't be said enough. The 'persecution' in real life is almost 100% that they can't get a girlfriend because they're gross weirdos. However their own conception of what's happening is that other people hate them because they realize they're smarter and better in every way than those other people.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Yes, but anti-gaters made vague threats of harm also so it all evens out, the truth is in the middle.

Games journalism has always been complete poo poo. Most of the big gaming magazines pre-internet were published directly by the companies who made the games/systems, they were little more than advertising. In the internet era you cannot give bad reviews to a AAA game without losing your access to pre-release copies of the games, meaning you can't get your review out when the rest of the industry does. Gaming journalism has been payola-ridden marketing since day 1.

Suddenly, in 2014, people who describe themselves as hardcore gamers get really interested in dismantling the rotten structure of gaming journalism, beginning with obscure sites that tend to talk about indie games made by female developers.

Kieron Gillen called for games writers to embrace the inherent subjectivity of reviewing a piece of culture ten years ago. It's sad that a) it took until 2004 for someone of prominence in the industry to make that kind of manifesto and b) it's still largely ignored by today's writers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUvwkg7Mudg

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

ErIog posted:

LGBT is an aspirational acronym that shows what a lot of people want the movement to be, but is not necessarily reflective of the goals of individual efforts. Trans-activists sometimes worry that the T part of LGBT could be jettisoned if it was politically unhelpful to the aims of LGB people.

This politoons edit comes to mind.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Breitbart.

quote:

The next major problem with GPS usage is that it is emasculating, and not just politically with its endless entreaties to “turn left.” Married friends of mine report that navigation system usage is just another way for their wives to symbolically kick them in the groin. If the husband expresses any confusion about how to reach their destination, the woman will slyly say, “Shall I get out the GPS?”

This question actually means: “I believe your brother has a bigger penis than you and could better provide for our young during the long winter, and I’m going to leave you because you’re bad at finding things.” To the husband, this wife code is almost on a par with being cuckolded. Indeed, some men would rather watch their wives get banged by Mandingo than be reduced to asking a TomTom for help.

Many GPS systems also track speed, which results in wives chiding their husbands for even moderate violations of the speed limit. Previously, men were protected by the fact that the speedometer might as well display the speed in Chinese numerals for all the chance a woman would have at deciphering it from the passenger seat.

Even without a woman in the car, the GPS assaults our manhood. If we deviate even slightly from the course it chose for us, it starts nagging and whinging – in a calm female voice, of course – imploring us to do U-turns and increasingly bizarre manoeuvres to return to the original course. Now your wife and the computer lady are colluding. It’s like one of those shopping trips where she brings one of her terrible friends along everywhere to just agree with her, and you’re still not allowed to punch either of them.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Jack of Hearts posted:

The author is a gay misogynist who shows up a lot in the PYF dark enlightenment thread. I think it's pretty funny, as long as you know in advance not to regard the writer as anything but a buffoon.

It's like fanfic about how horrible it must be for straight dudes to be in a relationship. It's the weirdest thing.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2016/1/uber-welfare-sharing-gig-economy-000031

quote:

In this presidential cycle, the “gig economy” has been under attack, notably from Democrats like Hillary Clinton, who said that it is “raising hard questions about workplace protections and what a good job will look like in the future.”

But far from being the labor problem of our era, the gig economy is actually a solution — one with power to change things far beyond car-sharing and odd jobs. It could help transform not just the private sector, but government as well, adding flexibility to unemployment programs and decreasing dependence on a welfare system getting out of control.

[...]

Social science data is clear that keeping safety net beneficiaries working is better for their careers and long-term economic well-being. The value of work cannot be overstated, and the 1996 welfare reform embraced this principle by transitioning welfare to a system of so-called workfare, with able-bodied individuals who receive government benefits being required to work in some capacity.

[...]

Historically, some opponents of workfare have argued that work requirements are untenable because the government cannot find a job for every welfare beneficiary. That may have been true years ago, when a “job” was binary and full time, but today the gig economy offers the solution: It can easily and quickly put millions of people back to work, allowing almost anyone to find a job with hours that are flexible with virtual locations anywhere. Much of this work is well above minimum wage and it can further the careers of workers as well. With a wide array of different employment options, workers can choose jobs better tailored to their skill-sets and upgrade their skills, which can advance their careers.

What do these jobs look like? For those willing and able to drive, Uber and Lyft enlist anyone to be a driver — assuming they pass a background check — and offers special financing or rental discounts for vehicles. Currently, the average Uber driver makes about $19 an hour, and in cities like Los Angeles and New York, their earnings are even higher.

For those who don’t drive, the options are nearly endless. They could deliver goods and groceries for Postmates and Instacart, assemble furniture on TaskRabbit or mow lawns and plow driveways with PLOWZ & MOWZ. Or if they have the know-how they could offer photo shoots, voice lessons, mural painting, tennis lessons, or painting a house on Thumbtack. Amazon’s MechanicalTurk, Fiver and other companies pay for general tasks that can usually be done on a computer or phone anywhere across the country. Those with particular skill-sets have other platforms available: Coders can do freelance work on Elance, Upwork, and Scalable Path, house cleaners can list themselves on Handy, graphics designers can submit bids and graphics on 99 Designs, and lawyers can draft legal contracts on UpCounsel. People with general interpersonal skills could be a virtual personal assistant on Zirtual.com. There’s an easily available job for just about everyone in the gig economy.

It keeps going. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

some libertopian posted:

Growing up in the seventies and eighties I heard the liberal mantra like a synthetic drumbeat. “The ends don’t justify the means.”

From every drippy Norman Lear sitcom to every self-important episode of “Hill Street Blues,” Hollywood lectured us that superior people held to their principles, even if they didn’t like the outcome.

Groups like the American Civil Liberties Union walked the walk by fighting for people’s right to freely associate and express themselves, even when they despised those very same people, like neo-Nazis in the famed Skokie, Ill., case. These liberals fought oppression so we may have relationships of our choosing, assemble, contract with each other, speak freely, live together, or love one another openly. Liberals fought institutionalized oppression designed to keep free people separated. They called it the civil rights movement. And we rightly celebrate it.

So, what the hell happened to all those honorable liberals?

Today’s progressive force epitomizes just the opposite — the ends justify everything — from campus speech codes, to using a “phone and pen” to bypass lawmakers, to mandating relationships with health insurance companies against our will. And now a push to raise the minimum wage. Conservatives squawk against the minimum wage because it increases unemployment, stifles economic growth, promotes inflation, hurts small businesses and denies needed experience for those trying to improve their lives. All true by the way.

But, honorable liberals should stand up to minimum wage laws because it infringes on our innate right to freely associate. It prevents us from having relationships we choose to enter into; associations we desire for reasons that satisfy ourselves, not others. If past slavery and involuntary servitude laws forcing people to work for another were abhorrent, current laws that prevent free people from working for one another must at some level also be repugnant (yes, angry letter writers, not nearly to the same degree).

Let’s take up a thought experiment. Ginger is building her small, home-based accounting company. A neighbor, Maryanne, is a stay-at-home mom whose children are entering school, meaning she finally has some time to devote to developing new skills. Ginger can afford, say, only $5 an hour for the help she absolutely needs to grow her fledgling business. Maryanne wants to learn accounting, and for her a flexible schedule and no work commute are more important than a higher wage. While important, money is not the sole factor or even first in our employment decisions. Minimum wage laws are based on the absurdity that money is the one and only thing that every single one of us value most from our job.

Like all other consensual relationships, Ginger and Maryanne want to be together for reasons that satisfy them individually, or else they wouldn’t agree to it. Others might not understand their “perverse” values, needs or desires. But should that stop Ginger and Maryanne from being together? So, if Ginger and Maryanne wanted to have sex, there’s a literal parade to celebrate them. If they wanted to sell videos of their sex act, the ACLU would defend them. If they wanted to cohabitate, or marry, or start a business, or buy property together, they now can, thanks to generations of civil-rights warriors.

But if one is willing to work for the other at a wage some people think is unreasonable, or even obscene, they can’t, thanks to the bigoted Left. Imagine if Republicans abolished the minimum wage when they had the chance, and oh did they have the chance. Today liberals would have to make the odd argument that government has a role preventing adults from consensual relationships in the workplace while also protecting it in the bedroom.

Let’s call the minimum wage what it is: an un-American attack on our personal relationships and a violation of our civil liberties — an institutionalized hate. Apparently, liberals only care about protecting consensual relationships when people are naked.

• Locked thread