Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

commy gun posted:

He got angry when Peter King questioned one of his moves too, didn't he? Seems like this Belichick fellow doesn't take criticism well.

I will always consider Charlie credible having picked Mario Williams over Bush and made that Ricky Williams trade.

It was actually about a report about Brady allegedly being more injured then he was believe it or not.

Yeah, Belichick tore into a guy for claiming his star QB was injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
This is the best thing ever. The spelling, the grammar, the content of the post, all of it, the best.

quote:

I just wanted to statrt a new thread where every time a good up and coming white player emerges he is always compared to a black player. Why wosent Jerry Rice called a black Lance Alsworth? I know Philly wr Riley Cooper is new but I think we should start calling black players named after talent white lpayers so Houstons wr Andre Johnson is a poor mans Riley Cooper. Cooper is the same size but has elite speed and Johnson in a fair world couldint hold a candle to him.

In a fair world Patrick Willis couldn't hold a candle to Rocky Boiman. Jon Beason is the poor mans Chase Blackburn.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Democrazy posted:

Michael Strahah has come out in support of same-sex marriage, ESPN did a story, and the comments section is really something else to read. Anything that is political is always fun.

http://sports.espn.go.com/newyork/conversations/_/id/6649146/michael-strahan-latest-support-ny-same-sex-marriage

Uh, Michael Strahan is apparently engaged to a Vulcan/Chris Henry hybrid.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

McKracken posted:

This is the best thing ever. The spelling, the grammar, the content of the post, all of it, the best.

In a fair world Patrick Willis couldn't hold a candle to Rocky Boiman. Jon Beason is the poor mans Chase Blackburn.

Michael Vick is a poor man's Jason White.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Here's a quick one from AL.com, about Chizik getting a raise.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/06/auburn_gives_gene_chizik_raise/3510/comments-6.html

Anonymous posted:

Is that all you all have to say? Really, could you all be this drat-country? You are talking about stats when our public school teachers are being fired left-and-right? Do you not find it obscene that a coach, who is supposed to love football anyway, is paid 10 times the amount our educators make? You all do remember that Auburn and Alabama are learning institutions, right? How daft are we that support goes behind a whistleblower when our schools are the laughing-stock of the nation.

D______ A_______

They make a good point, but if you're supposed to be anonymous, why would you give your full name?

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Morby posted:

They make a good point, but if you're supposed to be anonymous, why would you give your full name?

I wonder how many educators would lose their jobs without the 90 million dollars the Auburn football team generates?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

pasaluki posted:

I wonder how many educators would lose their jobs without the 90 million dollars the Auburn football team generates?

And where did that number come from? One of the things I learned in college is that most college's athletic departments run at a net loss, so the school has to take money out of its operating budget (the thing that pays teachers) to bail them out. Now according to this, Auburn's athletic department ran at a net profit of $2 million for '09-'10, but that's not exactly a margin I'd like to rely on, and the amount of education the university could buy for that much is probably not a whole hell of a lot.

Detergent
Aug 7, 2006

WDE WDE WDE

whypick1 posted:

And where did that number come from? One of the things I learned in college is that most college's athletic departments run at a net loss, so the school has to take money out of its operating budget (the thing that pays teachers) to bail them out. Now according to this, Auburn's athletic department ran at a net profit of $2 million for '09-'10, but that's not exactly a margin I'd like to rely on, and the amount of education the university could buy for that much is probably not a whole hell of a lot.

Off Topic as gently caress, but most college athletic programs run at a loss to support the sports without much public interest. Some may scream, 'Women's Sports!', but nobody goes to see loving Men's Golf or Swimming, which we're pretty dang good at :c00l:, either. A lot of the money made by something like the football team is made by the massive amount of 'tourism' revenue that is made on gameday by the town, and outside money coming into the local economy.

This isn't in defense of Auburn, it's the same with Alabama, Tennessee, any school that brings in a shitload of people for gameday, and with those people, a shitload of money that would not otherwise be there. Motels, restaurants, bars, antique stores, all those businesses depend on the fat old white people that trot down to sweat and pay for parking every loving weekend from September to November.

At least that's what I think. Though, I was educated by Alabama public schools from 1990-98, and an even worse private Christian school after that, so I don't think a whole hell of a lot. We are adding more student parking though! War Eagle.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Detergent posted:

Off Topic as gently caress, but most college athletic programs run at a loss to support the sports without much public interest. Some may scream, 'Women's Sports!', but nobody goes to see loving Men's Golf or Swimming, which we're pretty dang good at :c00l:, either. A lot of the money made by something like the football team is made by the massive amount of 'tourism' revenue that is made on gameday by the town, and outside money coming into the local economy.

This isn't in defense of Auburn, it's the same with Alabama, Tennessee, any school that brings in a shitload of people for gameday, and with those people, a shitload of money that would not otherwise be there. Motels, restaurants, bars, antique stores, all those businesses depend on the fat old white people that trot down to sweat and pay for parking every loving weekend from September to November.

At least that's what I think. Though, I was educated by Alabama public schools from 1990-98, and an even worse private Christian school after that, so I don't think a whole hell of a lot. We are adding more student parking though! War Eagle.

I tried to make the argument to my friend that having athletic departments that made boatloads of money through football etc was good because they ended up being able to fund a lot of athletic scholarships to other sports, bringing in more and more students who would probably not be able to afford school otherwise.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

pasaluki posted:

Probably $0. $90 million barely registers on a budget to a major university. Penn State had total operating revenue of $107m and expenses of $88m in 2009-2010. So athletics generated $19m. $21m were to pay salaries of all the athletic department.

In 2010-2011 (I can't find last year's budget), PSU spent $4.06 billion on everything else. The university took in $4.3b. $266m were on professors salaries. Athletics doesn't even appear on the budget.

One of the biggest dogs in the game, with one of the biggest stadiums on Earth, with a marketable brand, and legion upon legion of loyal fans doesn't bring in half the money they pay out to the education staff.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Re: Banning messages in eye black - Florida strikes back

quote:

this is a joke...it is all about tim tebo and they dont want to say it..the aclu is probably behind this...christians are hated in three area, south florida, los angeles and new york...these areas all vote democratic and are littered with pathetic liberals that love gay adoption and marriage...

quote:

the absence of messages about God is athism,,it too is a religion and their god is no god,,we have freedom of religion,,all religion,,and expressing faith in Jesus has to be as ok as any other,,so even voodoo gets to be expressed in public,,it is why our ancestors came to this country,,

Re: Penalties for excessive celebration

quote:

Like the tauting rule it will keep these welfare project thugs on "free rides" from continuing to ruin the greatest game in the world....football..... and as a buckeye i would love to have seen that flag for diving in the end zone. but i'd rather win fair and square and not on a penalty or some f@g kickers leg. see you all at the national championship game and god i hope we play alabama. o-h-i-o go bucks!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pasaluki posted:

Unless you count, like, the baseball coach, no one.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So they're banning writing dumb stuff on your face because of TEBOW!!!! not because of all the idiots putting area codes on their heads.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah! Stupid f@g kickers always winnin the games in a cheap way :mad:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Crazy685 posted:

Vinateri must be the biggest flamer on the planet for winning those 3 Super Bowls by a field goal each. :gay:

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Crazy685 posted:

If football was a real american sport there would be no kicking of the ball whatsoever. Only girly men who love other guys enjoy sports that feature players kicking things.

:911:

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
this is from thesabre.com's bball message board, we were talking about the 2003 ACC expansion for football:

quote:

Any reasonable analysis of the situation at the time and in retrospect
would have come to the conclusion that the ACC, with its smaller
enrollments and less rabid football following, would never gain that
much from holding a football championship. The reasonable path to
improving our football profile would have been to add Virginia Tech
and hold at 10 member institutions.

:what:

Yeah, lets just overlook the then national powerhouse that averaged 10 wins over 20 years and was in NINE national championship games. Lets not try to set up two football divisions with two of the three most dominant football programs of the 80s and 90s. Instead lets take the backwater school with one MNC appearance, ever, and not add a championship game.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Just couldn't resist this one. This is a comment on an article about USC's forfeited national championship and how some Auburn fans want to claim it.

An Alabama fan posted:

I understand how it works. You people want to claim something you didn't even play for. That's what I understand. You don't understand that when a victory is forfeited the other side wins. Aubarn was determined not worthy to play in that championship game therefore you didn't. Nothing changes about that. Oklahoma won that game by forfeit but they don't claim the championship but aubarn does. What class.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Democrazy posted:

Michael Strahah has come out in support of same-sex marriage, ESPN did a story, and the comments section is really something else to read. Anything that is political is always fun.

http://sports.espn.go.com/newyork/conversations/_/id/6649146/michael-strahan-latest-support-ny-same-sex-marriage
Not that I didn't expect it, but jesus christ those comments. loving terrible.

As for the ad itself - cheesy as the "defensive end for the New York Giants" bit was - not only is Strahan just awesome in general, it's great to see someone breaking the stereotype of homophobic athletes.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Sash! posted:

Probably $0. $90 million barely registers on a budget to a major university. Penn State had total operating revenue of $107m and expenses of $88m in 2009-2010. So athletics generated $19m. $21m were to pay salaries of all the athletic department.

In 2010-2011 (I can't find last year's budget), PSU spent $4.06 billion on everything else. The university took in $4.3b. $266m were on professors salaries. Athletics doesn't even appear on the budget.

One of the biggest dogs in the game, with one of the biggest stadiums on Earth, with a marketable brand, and legion upon legion of loyal fans doesn't bring in half the money they pay out to the education staff.

Alright that makes sense.
I just hated the professors, and I don't imagine I'm the only one who had them, who basically went off on a spiel during class about how much the football coach made and how it was a total disgrace to the university.

Nevermind that enrollment was in a freefall and the 1st President of the college plagiarized to get his job and the next one was a close friend of Rod Blagojevitch, it was the Basketball program and the tier-2 football program that was to blame!

Like it seemed like they had a personal vendetta against sports and couldn't believe that not everyone else hated them like they did.

I also had really cool professors who liked sports and my parents are both professors and they like them too, but wasting class time and students money to spend half the class bitching that you aren't paid enough really rubbed me the wrong way.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Most athletic departments lose money, so he did kind of have a point. Only the biggest ones are profitable, and then they're massively profitable. Athletics should be separate from the academy anyhow but somehow we managed to gently caress that one up.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

MindlessHavok posted:

Jeff Faine is the greatest center in the game and deserves a better QB like Drew Brees.

Weird, Jeff Faine was the center for Drew already. It was his choice to leave for the money.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

pasaluki posted:

wasting class time and students money to spend half the class bitching that you aren't paid enough really rubbed me the wrong way.
I absolutely agree that the classroom isn't the place to lodge one's complaint over this (and the students are paying for this time for their degrees, not to hear someone bitch about their salary to those who are helping PAY it), but the complaint itself is quite a valid one.

Most athletic departments are a money sink. I remember reading somewhere that just out of the D1 schools, more than 3/4ths of them LOSE money on athletics. Not to mention that even in the smaller schools, the average salary of, say, a football coach is many times over that of a professor.

Teachers (and Nurses, for that matter) really get the poo poo end of the stick when payday comes.

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Most athletic departments lose money, so he did kind of have a point. Only the biggest ones are profitable, and then they're massively profitable.
Exactly. I'd bet Notre Dame, for example, profits because they're essentially a name brand, but they're one of few. Just about every (Insert random D1 school that finishes 5-6 every year in a mid-major conference) is hemorrhaging money on their sports programs.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 13, 2011

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Weird, Jeff Faine was the center for Drew already. It was his choice to leave for the money.

Yeah, there was some article at the beginning of all this lock out stuff that came out about how Josh Freeman was holding practices with a few of the guys on the Bucs. Faine came out saying how he was doing it wrong and wouldn't participate and would rather practice with a guy like Brees.

The aforementioned poster was all over it and saying Faine was completely right and blah blah blah.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005
What I'm wondering is: who is Caste Football's favorite black football player?? Is it a quiet guy like Barry Sanders, or someone like Plaxico Burress who validates all their talking points??

Detergent
Aug 7, 2006

WDE WDE WDE

Cumhand Luke posted:

What I'm wondering is: who is Caste Football's favorite black football player?? Is it a quiet guy like Barry Sanders, or someone like Plaxico Burress who validates all their talking points??

Leans closer to your 2nd option, but Roger Craig.

It's always going to be Roger Craig.

terrin
May 10, 2005

Detergent posted:

I don't follow

RustySeabutter
Nov 11, 2000

Puncho!
someone ask

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Cumhand Luke posted:

With that criteria it would be Jamarcus Russell.....we're reaching the danger zone here, gents.

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday

commy gun posted:

With that criteria it would be Jamarcus Russell.....we're reaching the danger zone here, gents.

gently caress I hope I dont share something in common with Caste Football

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Tahm Bwady posted:

gently caress I hope I dont share something in common with Caste Football

I think you're pretty safe. Unless this is also your opinion on celebrations.

quote:

I just wanted to ask Castefootballers why they think black NFL players dance and celebrate so much after minor gains or mediocre touchdowns. Yes whites have Jeremy Shockey and a few others but why do most black players act like classless idiots when they score? LAck of a father figure, low self esteem, genetics? Just asking.

quote:

this summarizes my thoughts exactly. have you ever spent any time around blacks? legitimate achievement of any worthwhile account is so rare in the black community, that they (and their politically correct enablers) will praise just about anything that can be considered "success." it's so bad, they'll drat near celebrate walking through a door without bumping their head.

quote:

there are a few black athletes who conduct themselves without these shenanigans...notably David Robinson, Gale Sayers, the late Wayman Tisdale, etc. They unfortunately seem (very) far & few in between.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I wonder how it works if a Caste Football poster is invited into a fantasy football league of non-Caste players.

Do they try to win by picking the best players, or do they let their beliefs take over and end up taking Riley Cooper in the third round?

PizzaDelivery
Jun 25, 2007
Not delivering pizzas since 1988
Penn State's Scout site is full of old people who most likely suffer from dementia.
There's one crazy dude who hates Joe Paterno and instead of hitting space twice after a period hits enter twice after a period (puts two lines between sentences).

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

MD2020 posted:

I wonder how it works if a Caste Football poster is invited into a fantasy football league of non-Caste players.

Do they try to win by picking the best players, or do they let their beliefs take over and end up taking Riley Cooper in the third round?

I'd want him in my league.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

MD2020 posted:

I'm pretty sure Caste football posters are fine with owning black players.

Besides fantasy football is all about flashy stats, not doing what actually wins football games. :v:

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Kalli posted:

Besides fantasy football is all about flashy stats, not doing what actually wins football games. :v:

Points deducted for celebrations, reliance on athleticism over grit, and/or failure to acknowledge Christ.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I don't see how you guys can get through caste football. I thought it was some elaborate troll until I started reading it because of some joke in a thread last year. But it's too horribly racist for me to even find it amusing - it falls more into the 'sickening' category.

Detergent posted:

Because he was in an otherwise white backfield? (Montana, Rathman) Otherwise I don't get it.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 14, 2011

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's the same thing with people in D&D reading freep. You either laugh or you cry and well I don't feel like crying!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PizzaDelivery posted:

Penn State's Scout site is full of old people who most likely suffer from dementia.
There's one crazy dude who hates Joe Paterno and instead of hitting space twice after a period hits enter twice after a period (puts two lines between sentences).

Devlin was literally the greatest quarterback in the history of the universe.

Here's two years worth of speculation on why this is a fact:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Kalli posted:

Not sure if this was a slavery joke but it made me laugh.

• Locked thread