Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
And now a gallery of selected tweets from Finebaum caller, "Legend."

Marvel as he sexually harasses celebrities:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

wootmachine posted:

And now a gallery of selected tweets from Finebaum caller, "Legend."

Marvel as he sexually harasses celebrities:

You can gently caress right off with that, you leave Legend alone and so help me god if Tammy or I-Man get a twitter account you leave them the gently caress alone too.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

From an Ohio State poster on the decommitment of Kyle Kalis:

quote:

To any military personnel fighting in Afghanistan, be glad you don't have traitors like Kalis or Strobel (from Ohio, committed to Michigan) fighting beside you. They would either turn tail and run or defect to the Taliban or al qaeda. They will fit right in with all the muslims in michigan. Come to think of it, Strobel does resemble Bin Laden. Same height and similar build. I wonder if he's related?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

What It Dooski posted:

From an Ohio State poster on the decommitment of Kyle Kalis:

Looks like Osama's plan of faking his own death and going unnoticed as a starting player on a football team with nationally televised games every week is in jeopardy!!! Better go to his backup plan of becoming a news anchor on CNN under the name "Jerry bin Laden."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
To be fair there's a decent-sized Middle Eastern/Arabic population in SE Michigan. To be even fairer, many Ohio State fans are loving retarded.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Some Moron posted:

I honestly would take Tebow over Schaub right now because he shows emotion, he has heart, he tries to fire up his team and get them to rally around each other and put forth maximum effort. All of which Schaub has never done.

(avatar goes better with this one than the Mario Williams post earlier in the thread)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I present to you the most unreadable thing: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=448360

A month long, 63 page thread that almost instantly devolves into Peyton vs Brady and stays there, forever.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kalli posted:

I present to you the most unreadable thing: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=448360

A month long, 63 page thread that almost instantly devolves into Peyton vs Brady and stays there, forever.

You'd think that after the last three or four offseasons where just about every forum pertaining to anything to do with NFL has had the Manning vs Brady debate all that could be said would have been said.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

BlindSite posted:

You'd think that after the last three or four offseasons where just about every forum pertaining to anything to do with NFL has had the Manning vs Brady debate all that could be said would have been said.

But they haven't yet involved ethnic slurs of every minority on the planet yet, by my count the Hutterites and Nichiren Buddhists have yet to be brought into the debate.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

quote:

The majority of NFL players could be replaced and most NFL fans wouldnt even notice. They would only notice a difference if the handful of star players were not on the field.

As the old sayings go... " Be happy with what ya got " and " You dont know what you got until its gone ". And the players have fallen into the scenario of " blind leading the blind ".
Yes, Buffalo Bills forum poster, I'm sure that no one will notice when Ryan Leaf Stony Case replaces Peyton Manning.

wilfoy
Jan 21, 2004

Kalli posted:

This pisses me off so much and I wish Jaws, Gruden, and everyone else who talks like this would loving die:

quote:

as compared to other great QB's like the Montana's, Brady's, Elway's, Aikmans etc....

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Yes, Buffalo Bills forum poster, I'm sure that no one will notice when Ryan Leaf Stony Case replaces Peyton Manning.

The sad thing is the Bills would probably be a good team if everyone had NFLGENERIC players

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

quote:

I know I can't hold my hands out if my boss makes more money. We agree to work for what ever compensation we get; the players should be happy they get what they are getting.
I love these.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I actually side with the "quit whining and play your football for millions" crowd but they're so terrible at arguing that I don't want to associate with them.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Hogs Haven poster posted:

A good kicker puts us at 9-7 last year…Just saying.

Hogs Haven editor posted:

Look at the NFL results almost every game is insanely close, it truly is a game on inches. Every fan can say one kick here, one less block in the back, etc… then we would of been a winning team. Sure we lost 6 games by extremely thin margins, but also ALL of our wins were one score games. You can sit here and say that we easily could of gone 9-7, and someone else can just as easily say we could of gone 0-16, thin line is razor thin.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005
I just realized that it would be so easy for the Redskins to change their name to the Hogs and get rid of all that old-timey racism while still having a name with tradition behind it. They really are that stubborn though.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

PizzaDelivery posted:

Penn State's Scout site is full of old people who most likely suffer from dementia.
There's one crazy dude who hates Joe Paterno and instead of hitting space twice after a period hits enter twice after a period (puts two lines between sentences).

I didn't know that Bill Plaschke was a Penn State fan

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Sash! posted:

I actually side with the "quit whining and play your football for millions" crowd but they're so terrible at arguing that I don't want to associate with them.

So who do you side with when the owners are the ones whining and not playing football?

I always want to ask the "but I can't ask my boss for more money!" folks what they would do if their boss just came up and told them he decided he wanted more money so he was giving them a 5% pay cut.

quote:

I just realized that it would be so easy for the Redskins to change their name to the Hogs and get rid of all that old-timey racism while still having a name with tradition behind it. They really are that stubborn though.

Ugh. The number of my friends who are Skins fans and bend over backwards to try to justify the name is depressing. I've heard the "It's not racist because they asked some Indians and they said it was fine" argument, and the "It's in honor of some specific Indians, so using a slur is ok because we're honoring them" one. No one seems to get that it's roughly as bad as having a team called the Washington Negroes.

And no one will take seriously my suggestion to change the name to the Beltway Snipers.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 2, 2011

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Dominion posted:

Ugh. The number of my friends who are Skins fans and bend over backwards to try to justify the name is depressing. I've heard the "It's not racist because they asked some Indians and they said it was fine" argument, and the "It's in honor of some specific Indians, so using a slur is ok because we're honoring them" one. No one seems to get that it's roughly as bad as having a team called the Washington Negroes.

And no one will take seriously my suggestion to change the name to the Beltway Snipers.

You know, as much as it makes sense to change the name, the most surprising thing I always find is just how little controversy the name seems to garner. They even polled the Native American population and found that only 9% found it offensive.

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/Downloads/Political_Communication/naes/2004_03_redskins_09-24_pr.pdf

So while it seems intuitive to say that it's really offensive, the reality is more complex than that.

EDIT: Not saying it shouldn't be changed.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Democrazy posted:

You know, as much as it makes sense to change the name, the most surprising thing I always find is just how little controversy the name seems to garner. They even polled the Native American population and found that only 9% found it offensive.

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/Downloads/Political_Communication/naes/2004_03_redskins_09-24_pr.pdf

So while it seems intuitive to say that it's really offensive, the reality is more complex than that.

Honest question:

Why do people find it so racist? I realize the term singles out a race of people, but I can't remember ever having heard the word used with the same connotations as something like "friend of the family". Really I've never even heard the word used at all outside of references to the football team.

I am from the West coast so maybe on the East coast it is used as a derogatory term a lot or something?

DrWhom
Jul 16, 2010

HappyHelmet posted:

Honest question:

Why do people find it so racist? I realize the term singles out a race of people, but I can't remember ever having heard the word used with the same connotations as something like "friend of the family". Really I've never even heard the word used at all outside of references to the football team.

I am from the West coast so maybe on the East coast it is used as a derogatory term a lot or something?

Well maybe it doesn't have the same connotations as that, but you have to admit Washington Blackskins would still be totally unacceptable. It's just a stupid double standard.

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

HappyHelmet posted:

Honest question:

I think the most important reason it is offensive to Native Americans is that it stereotypes them as a bunch of fierce warriors and ignores all other parts of their culture (fry bread, gaming, susceptibility to smallpox). They would prefer to be seen as real people, not a bunch of fierce warrior caricatures. It probably also stings that the Redskins make a ton of money merchandising the stereotype.

Most of the Native Americans I have known didn't give a poo poo, but those that did were very vocal about it

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

There were a couple of NCAA teams that had Native American-themed names that were forced to change even though nearby tribes were cool with the names. That some of the white people who jumped in and started demanding the change seemed to have such a paternal mentality, that this minority population had to be convinced that they were being offended for their own good, seemed more offensive than the name itself.

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER

Thaddius the Large posted:

But they haven't yet involved ethnic slurs of every minority on the planet yet, by my count the Hutterites and Nichiren Buddhists have yet to be brought into the debate.

I am myself a Nichiren Buddhist, I don't think there are any slurs for us. They should put a team in West Virginia and cell them the Rednecks to balance out the Redskins thing. Then everyone can shut the gently caress up about it already.

Jesus.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Redskins is an offensive stereotype. Slash the only reason American culture sees them as this fierce warrior is because we spent a hundred years fighting and slaughtering them in the process of conquering their land. You wouldn't call a team the Blackskins or the Yellowskins.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Anals of History posted:

There were a couple of NCAA teams that had Native American-themed names that were forced to change even though nearby tribes were cool with the names. That some of the white people who jumped in and started demanding the change seemed to have such a paternal mentality, that this minority population had to be convinced that they were being offended for their own good, seemed more offensive than the name itself.

That seems to be the case with the Redskins. Most of the people up in arms about the name seem to just be white people with a strong desire to prove that they're not racist by changing a name that doesn't appear to offend many people.

The Browns are my secondary team and the name invokes images of poo poo so the name needs to be changed as to not offend me! :v:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Larch posted:

I am myself a Nichiren Buddhist, I don't think there are any slurs for us. They should put a team in West Virginia and cell them the Rednecks to balance out the Redskins thing. Then everyone can shut the gently caress up about it already.

Jesus.

West virginia is hillbillies, not rednecks you racist

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 2, 2011

BigJake
Apr 27, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Kalli posted:

niiiiice

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I live in South Dakota near a number of reservations, and I've never heard anyone using redskins as a slur.

I've heard a lot of worse things though :smith:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Democrazy posted:

They polled 768 Native Americans. There's about 3 million Native Americans living in the US, according to the 2010 census. That's not really much of a sample size.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
RIP Eastern Michigan Hurons, you were too good for this world. :smith:

The Native Americans in town were fine with the name too, it was the rich white people that got it axed.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Detroit_Dogg posted:

The Native Americans in town were fine with the name too, it was the rich white people that got it axed.

See, Hurons doesn't bother me. It's not a slur, it's an actual name of a group of people. It would be like calling your team the Floridians or the Southerners. It's not offensive at all.

Redskin is a racial slur. That's why it's offensive and the Chiefs isn't.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Dominion posted:

See, Hurons doesn't bother me. It's not a slur, it's an actual name of a group of people. It would be like calling your team the Floridians or the Southerners. It's not offensive at all.

Redskin is a racial slur. That's why it's offensive and the Chiefs isn't.

Yes but look at this damning logo!

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

Detroit_Dogg posted:

How did they find any Native Americans in Ypsi? Did they just happen to be driving by on 94 or something?

BigJake
Apr 27, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Dominion posted:

They polled 768 Native Americans. There's about 3 million Native Americans living in the US, according to the 2010 census. That's not really much of a sample size.

I too have no understanding of how statistics work

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

BigJake posted:

I too have no understanding of how statistics work

Do you really think a sample size of 800 allows one to accurately represent the opinions of 3 million people, to the point where you would feel comfortable saying "No, it's cool, we asked the indians and they said it was not offensive"?

BigJake
Apr 27, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Dominion posted:

Do you really think a sample size of 800 allows one to accurately represent the opinions of 3 million people

A sample of 768 out of a population of 3 million yields a margin of error of about 3.6% at 95% confidence.

So yes, absolutely. Assuming it was a random sample anyway

BigJake fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 2, 2011

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

BigJake posted:

A sample of 768 out of a population of 3 million yields a margin of error of about 3.6% at 95% confidence.

So yes, absolutely. Assuming it was a random sample anyway

Well, fair enough. I suppose the next question is whether or not it's ok to keep a team name that offends 5-12% of the racial group it refers to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gobbledygooker
Apr 5, 2007
Christ I'm native american and I find it offensive the reason there aren't more people who do is because for a lot of native americans the whole "living in 3rd world conditions on a reservation" is a more important issue and most of them got murdered by the government so there aren't enough of them to cause widespread outrage.

• Locked thread