Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Yawgmoth posted:

Tell him you're making the cleric anyways because core rangers are loving garbage.

I mean personally if I heard "core books only" I would NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE the gently caress out right there because core is trash, but you may have different opinions.

clearly, your only choice is to be a nature cleric and voluntarily take TWF as a feat-tax for your first feat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Okay, screw it. I'm gonna do the cleric up and show it to him. Least he can say is no.

So assuming point buy or standard array, what's the best way to do up my aggravated gardener?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Core only two-weapon ranger sucks hard. If he insists on it, leave.

The cleric will be fine as long as you pump wisdom and con.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

JohnnyCanuck posted:

2) A plague doctor religious historian cleric who drat well hates the undead, and would rather be gardening than adventuring, but the party would be dead twelve times over without him.

I was almost done with a more verbose post and then lost it to browser/personal dumbness, so here's the cliff's notes.

1. Try to get Cloistered Cleric approved. It's such a good fit it's worth a shot.
2. Domains: Knowledge > Plant > Sun/War/Earth (depending on focus) > Healing
3. Melee focus: Wis 14+, Int 14+, Str>Con>Dex>>Cha. Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, wield a sickle. Contemplate War domain and a deity with favored weapon scythe if you want to double down on this path.
4. Ranged focus: Wis 14+, Dex>Int>Con>Str>>Cha. Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, wield a sling. Contemplate Earth domain so you can have Magic Stone as a domain spell and fling undead killing pebbles.
5. Casting focus: Wis>Int>Con>Dex>Str>Cha.
6. Turning focus: Wis>Cha>Int>Con>Dex>Str. Contemplate Sun domain.
7. Healing focus: Don't

Unless your wife is definitely planning on melee or the druid is focused on shapeshifted melee, I guess I'd probably chose the melee option. For a third feat, see if you can take Leadership. If DM wants core only, they can at least do all core, right?!? Other feats to consider: Extend Spell, Spell Focus (Conjuration)+Augment Summoning, Improved Initiative. If you get cloistered cleric, I'd do the casting focus version.

edit: If you end up stuck with ranger, the best core only ranger is a level 6 Druid. Elf or human archer on a horse can kill a variety of high CR monsters in open terrain with no danger. If outdoors is a rarity, gnome with dire badger is always a fun time. (Dire badger can make a tunnel big enough for everyone in the party to crawl through as long as it's not solid rock. Excellent way to skip straight to the big treasure chest at the end of the level without having to fight the whole level and similar danger-bypassing shenigans.)

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 6, 2018

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Bouquet posted:

For a third feat, see if you can take Leadership. If DM wants core only, they can at least do all core, right?!?

Leadership is so loving busted. 3.5 was broken in half from the get go....and Leadership is probably the most egregious. For the cost of 1 feat you get an army.

Heck, you can use all your level 1 followers as garden tenders. They can be gardeners that help you run your massive farm or field or what have you.

You even get a guy like 2 levels below you who can also be a full caster.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

2) A plague doctor religious historian cleric who drat well hates the undead, and would rather be gardening than adventuring, but the party would be dead twelve times over without him.

So I've got to ask based on this thumbnail description, is it possible the plague doctor in question is a swarm of beetles in a suit and does he have a gardening radio show?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

unseenlibrarian posted:

So I've got to ask based on this thumbnail description, is it possible the plague doctor in question is a swarm of beetles in a suit and does he have a gardening radio show?

He is NOT a swarm of beetles in a suit.
He would prefer that you stop asking embarassing personal questions, though. Now be safe, and stay out of trouble.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
And welp. It was like you guys feared.
  1. he prefers the ranger
  2. 4d6, drop lowest, reroll 1s, arrange as you like
  3. full HP on 1st level, random roll after that
  4. custom critical hit/fumble tables that automatically occur on a natural 20/1, for both PCs and monsters

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A Ranger in a group with a Druid and Sorcerer in a Core-only game? That's ... playable, maybe, I guess?

I mean, it's not the end of the world, but I personally feel like I'd be mentally checking-out a lot during that game.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Homebrew critical fumble charts are a menace.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

1. he prefers the ranger
  4. custom critical hit/fumble tables that automatically occur on a natural 20/1, for both PCs and monsters
My responses, in order:
  1. Tough poo poo, playing the cleric
  2. Absolutely not.
  3. Absolutely not.
  4. Are you loving kidding me with this poo poo.

I wouldn't even bother playing. This game is going to be a travesty of terrible decisions we all made 15-odd years ago and learned from and never did again.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

1. he prefers the ranger

Yawgmoth posted:

My responses, in order:
  1. Tough poo poo, playing the cleric
  2. Absolutely not.
  3. Absolutely not.
  4. Are you loving kidding me with this poo poo.

I wouldn't even bother playing. This game is going to be a travesty of terrible decisions we all made 15-odd years ago and learned from and never did again.

1) Nope, I'll play what I want
2) eh, not bad, not good but not bad
3) gently caress no
4) gently caress NO

Seriously, homebrew critical success and failure charts are absolutely loving ridiculous. Missing is more than sufficient penalty for rolling a 1, this poo poo leads to death spirals like no other and even if it doesn't, which would shock me, "interesting" crits just bog down combat. I would just not play.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if I had any idea what the critical tables looked like I'd double-down and crit-fish like a motherfucker because unless I miss my guess, that poo poo is going to cause a lot more damage than straight attacking.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

if I had any idea what the critical tables looked like I'd double-down and crit-fish like a motherfucker because unless I miss my guess, that poo poo is going to cause a lot more damage than straight attacking.
In the games I have played, "custom critical hit/fumble tables," usually means, "I have made a chart, but will completely ignore it and make poo poo up on the fly, and I will use it to destroy magic items I don't like my players having."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

And then the first time you roll a 1 you end up destroying the most important piece of equipment for said build.

Or what Madmarker said, with the probable addition of "no you can't look at the table it'll ruin the surprise when I make poo poo up to gently caress you over!"

Eikre
May 2, 2009
lol of loving course this DM wants him to play a character that makes lots of iterative attacks in a game where every attack invokes a 5% chance of idiot slapstick autofellatio.

I look forward to reading your DM's heavily embellished chronicle of the time you accidentally shoved twelve apples up your own urethra the next time somebody reposts a 100-screenshot-long compilation of unfunny nerd garbage to Imgur.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Just a quick question: every time I've played 3.5 we've always done full hp for level 1 and roll after, though our stat blocks are more generous so anyone that cares will usually have a +3 con mod. How do most people do it? Average every level? Max every level?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Chakan posted:

Just a quick question: every time I've played 3.5 we've always done full hp for level 1 and roll after, though our stat blocks are more generous so anyone that cares will usually have a +3 con mod. How do most people do it? Average every level? Max every level?

I offer my players a choice of rolling or taking average every level at character creation, with max die at 1st level for both.

Tardcore fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 13, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chakan posted:

I've always done max HP every level in the games I've run.

Other reasonable approaches include [max HP at level 1, average after that], and [average at every level].

I wouldn't ever really consider rolling for HP.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Chakan posted:

I usually do max at 1st, and every lvl after that you roll but if you roll under half then you just take half instead (so if your hit die is a d8 and you roll a 2 you can just take 4 instead). I also houseruled toughness to be better and a lot of my players actually usually take it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Chakan posted:

I do max every level because the more hardy the PCs the more horrible poo poo I can throw at them. I've had people do average every level or 3/4 every level and both have worked out well.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks, I was just surprised by how strongly people were reacting to rolling for hp past level 1, so it made me curious. I guess the strongest argument against rolling is that d10 and d12 hit die PCs are the ones without spells so they shouldn't be screwed by rolling a 1 on their hp when wizards get their full spell advancement without rolling.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

hangedman1984 posted:

I usually do max at 1st, and every lvl after that you roll but if you roll under half then you just take half instead (so if your hit die is a d8 and you roll a 2 you can just take 4 instead). I also houseruled toughness to be better and a lot of my players actually usually take it.

This is what I've seen, except we just tell people not to take toughness.

Avoid crit fumbles like the plague though, as people have pointed out this makes more skilled warriors more likely to accidentally impale themselves or something stupid.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Chakan posted:

Thanks, I was just surprised by how strongly people were reacting to rolling for hp past level 1, so it made me curious. I guess the strongest argument against rolling is that d10 and d12 hit die PCs are the ones without spells so they shouldn't be screwed by rolling a 1 on their hp when wizards get their full spell advancement without rolling.

So that is part of it, the other part is that you can just as easily end up with large clusters of bad rolls as a equally spaced good and bad rolls.

it is very easy to roll low for 3-4 levels in a row and have a barb with 26 health at level 4.

At level 4...assuming 14 con and maxing first level hp you "should" have an average of 39.5 health.

You should never roll hp if you can avoid it.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

JohnnyCanuck posted:

1. he prefers the ranger

seriously, seriously, seriously there is no good reason he shouldn't let you be a cleric. take shadow & plant domains and everyone can agree to call you "a ranger". loving take TWF as your first level feat as a compromise. there's already a tier 1 and tier 2 class in the group; either the DM doesn't think that the people playing those classes fully understand how game-breaking they are, or he doesn't care and just wants to gently caress with you personally, but like I said there's no good reason you can't be a cleric.

if the dude is so hung up on the word "ranger" that he doesn't understand anything can be a ranger if you call it that, and he's more concerned about dictating the specific party composition instead of letting people play what is fun or interesting for them, you should get out now. those types of DMs are basically looking for hapless bystanders that they can hold as a captive audience while they narrate their totally awesome RPG story that only minimally involves the PCs.

a lot of those folks are failed/wanna-be authors, and your enjoyment is going to be a distant second to them getting to play out whatever hackneyed fantasy story they've got kicking around in their head.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I have my players roll hp past level 1 but I also have them take the average on bad rolls, so it's always for a bonus rather than a risk of your character being hosed.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Take your max HD per level, plus your con score. Not con mod, con score.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chakan posted:

Taking max HP every time is another way to give players who didn't go full caster a little something back. While you're at it, don't roll to confirm crits (you rolled a crit; the end, god drat it), make tower shields add a bunch of AC without all the bullshit they tack on, let Fighters take any feat with bonus feats, and generally in any character-building situation, side with the character rolling the tank if there is a choice to be made.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Out of curiosity: has anyone ever experimented with allowing the ranger to take both fighting styles?

Also, giving fighters way more martial feats? Like all the martial feats?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rangers dont really have the bonus damage to be steller archers and twfers. You're probably still better off going two handed even with that.

Giving fighters All The Feats doesn't really fix their problems

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
I homebrewed all the PHB warrior classes to have access to martial maneuvers from the tome of battle.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if one were to say at "at character level x, you can take a prestige class regardless of any other prerequisites", what would x be? is there an implied or explicit time where characters are expected to do this?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think the majority of prestige classes come online about level 6 (as in, when you have 5 levels in base classes). Honestly I don't think it would imbalance anything to just unlock all prcs at that point.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

if one were to say at "at character level x, you can take a prestige class regardless of any other prerequisites", what would x be? is there an implied or explicit time where characters are expected to do this?
The vast majority of PrCs have requirements that let you take them as your 5th or 6th level, so I would probably just make it level 5.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What's the rule for a generic ability DC that isn't a spell?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I think but could be wrong it's this: 10 + 1/2 HD + ability score. Should be in the monster manual somewhere.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
It's generally 10+1/2HD+ability modifier. Then there's the Ability Focus feat that can add +2 and the nebulous "racial bonus" that crops up from time to time.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yawgmoth posted:

It's generally 10+1/2HD+ability modifier. Then there's the Ability Focus feat that can add +2 and the nebulous "racial bonus" that crops up from time to time.

Also, the ability modifier is almost always Con or Cha.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey so I have a campaign that is restarting. I am a level 14 Egoist/Thrallherd and at level 15 I will be getting my second Thrall.

Now as of right now my first Thrall is a good old utility cleric. For my second Thrall, well, I want a decent character that has minimal complexity but will still be a strong contributor.

However, here is the problem, though the Dm is fine with me making the Thrall here are the rules I must follow for creation:

1) Must be single classed upon my recruiting of them.
2)I must follow the guide at the back of the DMG 2 to determine what gear the thrall starts with, and if the Thrall dies the gear dissapears to never be seen again. The thrall's gear is permanently bound to the Thrall and cannot be sold, though the Thrall can use gear out of your wealth allotment which you can do with as you please.
3)Must use the standard array (15,14,13,12,10,8) for stats.
4)No Flaws/traits, and must be a race easily found on the plane.
5)This is a Greyhawk campaign, and as such, no resources specific to Forgotten Realms/Eberron/Dark Sun/etc. may be used.

At first I was thinking Druid, but then I realized that I would essentially be playing 4 characters (Thrallherd, Cleric, Druid, Animal Companion) and at least one of those characters would be summoning other characters that I would have to control, and I don't want literally every turn on the table to be my turn.

I am unsure what we will have at the table, but my most likely guess is

1) Conjurer Wizard
2) Ranger
3) Binder
4) Thrallherd (with Cleric as my current thrall) (thats me)
5) Barbarian
6) No idea at all

So, give this assortment and ruleset, what do you think a powerful, albeit simple second Thrall would be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Go for a bard. Have him be a total support character and get dragonfire inspiration and/or words of creation. The ranger (and their animal companion), barbarian, and likely the binder, along with whatever the conjurer summons up, will get a huge boost to everything they do. A well created bard can be a giant force multiplier for just about any group and there's plenty of guides out there on how to do it, but pretty much all of them start with DfI and WoC.

• Locked thread