Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

thespaceinvader posted:

Everyone appreciates high init.

Except the DM when you declare that you're holding action because you need to go after your party member(s) and force him to remake his handwritten initiative order. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

thespaceinvader posted:

Everyone appreciates high init.

This seems pretty solid for a mid-paragon build, and I like Shock Trooper a lot, though Blade Dancer is brilliant on a Fighter so that you enhance your catch-22 like nobody's business. Nothing says 'well-built defender' like a dude who whatever the DM does that isn't 'daze/stun me' I hit him back and penalise his attack somehow.

I love Blade Dancer too, but the GM likes deliberately avoiding the opportunity to let me use Cross-Body Parry very often, and the free feat slot, +1 to hit and net +1 damage from using Shock Trooper and two Short Swords over Two-Weapon Warrior and Rapiers seemed like the better deal.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

isndl posted:

Except the DM when you declare that you're holding action because you need to go after your party member(s) and force him to remake his handwritten initiative order. :v:

Get a big magnetic white board, laminate some cards for PC and monster names (and init and init mod, passive perception/insight), tape magnets onto the backs. Never worry again.

Unknown Quantity posted:

I love Blade Dancer too, but the GM likes deliberately avoiding the opportunity to let me use Cross-Body Parry very often, and the free feat slot, +1 to hit and net +1 damage from using Shock Trooper and two Short Swords over Two-Weapon Warrior and Rapiers seemed like the better deal.

Fair enough; but I'd go as far as arguing that if CBP is causing the DM to mess up his tactics enough to avoid it, you should be able to capitalise on that - but Shock Trooper is also good and is much more proactive, so it's still a solid choice. Albeit the AP feature on Blade Dancer is noice.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Five months into my 4e campaign (And I only just went up from level 3 to 4, DM is leveling us at a glacial pace) our DM just discovered a rule that says you can only use one daily power from magic items per day. This completely hamstrings the party.

However, I had read on the giant in the playground forums before that Wizards made a change to that rule. The Wizards website though took down a lot of the 4e posts, so I can't find a source for the rule change.

Does anyone know where I can find this?

Generic Octopus posted:

Rules Compendium has the updated rules. PHB errata is here.
Specifically the bits you want from the document are:

Errata Page 21 posted:

Power
Page 226:
In the Daily entry of this section, delete all material after the first sentence. This change makes the text consistent with the new rules for magic items.

Errata Page 23 posted:

Magic Items
Page 260:
Delete the first sentence of the paragraph. This change makes the text consistent with the new rules for magic items.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Unknown Quantity posted:

Drow Long Knife (or thrown enchantment on offhand weapon), Cleave, and Deft Hurler. Drow Long Knife, Cleave, and Deft Hurler. Oh. And Heavy Blade Opportunity. Throw your swords, Mark at range.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Mecha Gojira posted:

Drow Long Knife (or thrown enchantment on offhand weapon), Cleave, and Deft Hurler. Drow Long Knife, Cleave, and Deft Hurler. Oh. And Heavy Blade Opportunity. Throw your swords, Mark at range.

I mean I'd lose 1 AC/Ref by swapping to heavy blades and no longer be able to hit Ref on Dual Strike/MBAs, but if I dual-wielded them the damage would more or less be the same and I'd have an actual use for my second at-will.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Unknown Quantity posted:

I mean I'd lose 1 AC/Ref by swapping to heavy blades and no longer be able to hit Ref on Dual Strike/MBAs, but if I dual-wielded them the damage would more or less be the same and I'd have an actual use for my second at-will.

Think of it this way: you lose the accuracy of Deft Blade, but make up for it with the ability to multi-attack on an OA.

Here's a few thoughts:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 15
Thri-Kreen, Fighter, Shock Trooper
Build: Tempest Fighter
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: Tempest Technique
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Light Blade)
Background: Brother in Battle (Brother in Battle Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 22, Con 15, Dex 18, Int 9, Wis 16, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 10.

AC: 29 Fort: 30 Reflex: 27 Will: 26
HP: 114 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 28

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +12, Endurance +17, Athletics +20

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Arcana +6, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +10, Heal +10, History +6, Insight +12, Nature +12, Perception +12, Religion +6, Stealth +11, Streetwise +7, Thievery +11

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Drow Long Knife)
Level 2: Deft Hurler Style
Level 4: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 6: Mark of Warding
Level 8: Superior Will
Level 10: Improved Initiative
Level 11: Two-Weapon Opening
Level 12: Heavy Blade Opportunity
Level 14: Armor Specialization (Hide)
Feat User Choice: Improved Defenses
Feat User Choice: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Feat User Choice: Versatile Expertise

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Dual Strike
Fighter at-will 1: Cleave
Fighter encounter 1: Funneling Flurry
Fighter daily 1: Villain's Menace
Fighter utility 2: Glowering Threat
Fighter encounter 3: Parry and Riposte
Fighter daily 5: Dancing Defense
Fighter utility 6: Kirre's Roar
Fighter encounter 7: Come and Get It
Fighter daily 9: Jackal Strike
Fighter utility 10: Defensive Advance
Fighter encounter 13: Storm of Blows (replaces Funneling Flurry)
Fighter daily 15: Dust Storm Assault (replaces Villain's Menace)

ITEMS
Melegaunt's Darkblade Drow Long Knife +3, Drow Long Knife of Long Range +3, Lifeblood Hide Armor +3, Periapt of Cascading Health +3
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Mark of Warding makes sure that even if you can't enforce your mark due to range, it'll at least help your allies out with another -5% to hit and give the monsters something to consider. Weapon of long-range off-hand is just for the fun of it. Melegaunt's Darkblade is the most important part, though, and note that it also comes in light blades! If you're stuck on light blades, though, Farbond Spellblade works pretty well as an off-hand, though it sounds like you really just want to use a Rhythm Blade.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 23, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
I can't get a printout, but I'll list off everything I have to give you an idea of what I would have if I swapped out light for heavy and did the stuff prior to your build.

22/12/22/11/14/9
Combat Challenge
Combat Agility
Background: Aglarond (fluff)
Theme: Sohei
PP: Shock Trooper

Feats: TWD (Bonus), Improved Defenses (Bonus), TWF (Bonus), WF: Heavy Blade (Bonus), Heavy Blade Expertise (Bonus), WP: Drow Long Knife, Monastic Disciple, Mark of Warding, Deft Hurler, Improved Initiative, Iron Will (can't get superior, bonus dex gives way more benefits), Agile Tempest, Heavy Blade Opportunity, Two-Weapon Opening

Powers: Dual Strike, Cleave, Rain of Blows, Come and Get It, Storm of Blows, Dancing Defense, Rain of Steel, Dust Storm Assault, Glowering Threat, Kirre's Roar, Fighter's Grit

Items: Darkblade Drow Long Knife +3, Drow Long Knife of Distance +3, Battle Harness Earthide Armor +3, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic), Acrobat Boots (heroic), Elven Chain Shirt (heroic), Stone of Earth (paragon), Moradin's Blessing of Iron (L3), Melora's Storm Blessing (L3, amazing how this is fine), Iron Hand Unbreakable Form (I had an extra item slot and bonus THP seemed like a great idea. Could always swap this out with a L15 boon now that the weapons are weaker but eh.)

I went full in on STR/DEX for maximum initiative, AC, Reflex, and tempest benefits. My will took a hit at a mere 25, but the DM doesn't like doing dominate and I can just ignore Daze for a turn anyway. I originally was considering keeping Spring Step instead of Monastic Disciple, but in retrospect it seems niche when I have so many movement abilities. Plus I still haven't found a multiclass or other fun feat besides maybe stealing quarry from Ranger to nab, so +9 damage 1/enc (+13 if it's a different dude) feels like a nice little bonus. And mildly flavorful.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Ehh, I'd still try to get a wisdom 15 by paragon. Iron Will can always be retrained. A 16 in paragon will make your combat superiority stronger too. And get combat superiority. Wis mod to OA attacks and stopping movement is too good to pass up. Ever.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 23, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Mecha Gojira posted:

Ehh, I'd still try to get a wisdom 15 by paragon. Iron Will can always be retrained. A 16 will make your combat superiority stronger too.

I'm not using Combat Superiority. I'm using Combat Agility. I already swing at a +22, and the campaign is using a math conversion to add Escalation die, so I'm already swinging at +25 just by having combat advantage by the second round.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 23, 2016

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Unknown Quantity posted:

I'm not using Combat Superiority. I'm using Combat Agility.

Reread Combat Agility. It's kind of garbage. The enemy still needs to be adjacent to you to provoke that opportunity action either way, but said opportunity action takes place AFTER the enemy's action. Superiority is strictly better and Heavy Blade Opportunity makes it even sillier to have.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Since I know for sure the campaign is almost over, I'll meet it halfway: I'll grab Combat Superiority, and if the campaign reaches 16th level I'll put a +1 into Wis and retrain into Superior Will. If not, well, I still have Fighter's Grit and Sohei's boost to saving throws. Plus my GM was getting annoyed of my ranger having like 29-30 in all defenses (even more with AC/Ref) while simultaneously removing Elite Brutes in one turn 1/day, so this is cutting them some slack. Then again, I did go to the CharOP thread, so...

EDIT: Wow I forgot the second stat boost is at 18th, whoops. Well, uh, thanks for the gear recommendations and stuff!

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 23, 2016

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

senrath posted:

Specifically the bits you want from the document are:

Thanks man.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mecha Gojira posted:

Reread Combat Agility. It's kind of garbage. The enemy still needs to be adjacent to you to provoke that opportunity action either way, but said opportunity action takes place AFTER the enemy's action. Superiority is strictly better and Heavy Blade Opportunity makes it even sillier to have.

Str/Wis fighters are secretly the best fighters in the game by a wide margin, even though you are supposedly looking at Con or Dex.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Unknown Quantity posted:

Since I know for sure the campaign is almost over, I'll meet it halfway: I'll grab Combat Superiority, and if the campaign reaches 16th level I'll put a +1 into Wis and retrain into Superior Will. If not, well, I still have Fighter's Grit and Sohei's boost to saving throws. Plus my GM was getting annoyed of my ranger having like 29-30 in all defenses (even more with AC/Ref) while simultaneously removing Elite Brutes in one turn 1/day, so this is cutting them some slack. Then again, I did go to the CharOP thread, so...

EDIT: Wow I forgot the second stat boost is at 18th, whoops. Well, uh, thanks for the gear recommendations and stuff!

No problem. I think I've been thinking about that Tempest Fighter build for weeks. I know it's not the first time I've brought up Drow Long Knives or Deft Hurler before. Plus I applaud your choice of Thri-kreen. One of my favorites.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Str/Wis fighters are secretly the best fighters in the game by a wide margin, even though you are supposedly looking at Con or Dex.

You can always swap out Wis for Dex with Agile Superiority, but that takes a feat. It could be worth it for certain builds like Dragonborn Fullblade carriers who want to play with their natural charisma score, though. Built one with the Yakuza theme, for example. He also had the feat that let you mark with Dragonfear, which I thought was super-tight.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mecha Gojira posted:

No problem. I think I've been thinking about that Tempest Fighter build for weeks. I know it's not the first time I've brought up Drow Long Knives or Deft Hurler before. Plus I applaud your choice of Thri-kreen. One of my favorites.

You can always swap out Wis for Dex with Agile Superiority, but that takes a feat. It could be worth it for certain builds like Dragonborn Fullblade carriers who want to play with their natural charisma score, though. Built one with the Yakuza theme, for example. He also had the feat that let you mark with Dragonfear, which I thought was super-tight.

Well, there's the bonus to hit on mark punishment from Wisdom, but there's also:

-Superior WIll and a really good Will defense
-Polearms and stuff
-Most of the best skills in the game

I kinda want to do a thri-kreen self-prone-shift build for maximum hilarious combat style.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Well, there's the bonus to hit on mark punishment from Wisdom, but there's also:

-Superior WIll and a really good Will defense
-Polearms and stuff
-Most of the best skills in the game

I kinda want to do a thri-kreen self-prone-shift build for maximum hilarious combat style.

I forgot there's also a bunch of paragon paths and powers that key off Wisdom, too. Essentially, Wisdom should light up as a build choice when you make a fighter on the builder, but other classes have this problem too.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

I forgot there's also a bunch of paragon paths and powers that key off Wisdom, too. Essentially, Wisdom should light up as a build choice when you make a fighter on the builder, but other classes have this problem too.

To be fair, focus on wisdom is almost completely weapon specific. Hammer and Ax feats and powers generally key off of Constitution while Light Blades, Heavy Blades, and Flails key off Dex. Polearm fighters are stuck in the middle requiring both decent dexterity AND wisdom.

Fortunately, Fighters are the best class to take advantage of the good old classic 16/14/14/13/10/8 pre-racial stat array since accuracy and damage are not issues for them. As long as you're running a Str-primary race, you're pretty much golden whichever path you choose. And like I said, with Agile Superiority, you're only giving up a feat to basically make your class feature key off Dex, allowing you to go for a more charismatic fighter build if you so choose, and you'll still qualify for Superior Will!

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"
Can you drag enemies up walls with you?

Because if so I have a stupid idea for a Ranger/Fighter who grabs a thing then rides their spider up a wall to drop them for 20 squares of fall damage or whatever.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

NORTH-HALL posted:

Can you drag enemies up walls with you?

Because if so I have a stupid idea for a Ranger/Fighter who grabs a thing then rides their spider up a wall to drop them for 20 squares of fall damage or whatever.

Vertical forced movement is generally a no-no in 4e for exactly this reason. Try to build around something else unless your DM is okay.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
If memory serves, you can. It's just that the target gets a saving thrown if they are unwilling to move. But yeah, what Mecha Gojira said.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

No, you cannot force them to move somewhere they ordinarily couldn't move without a check with the exception of forcing them off the edge of something. If you do that, or force them into any hazardous terrain (note, most zone powers and auras don't count) they get a save and fall prone in the square prior if they succeed.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

thespaceinvader posted:

No, you cannot force them to move somewhere they ordinarily couldn't move without a check with the exception of forcing them off the edge of something. If you do that, or force them into any hazardous terrain (note, most zone powers and auras don't count) they get a save and fall prone in the square prior if they succeed.

This doesn't stop you from finding some means to apply a save penalty and then making said person roll a far more difficult save vs falling off a cliff, but I'm pretty sure out of some wizard shenanigans there's not much in the way of stacking save penalties.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It does stop you dragging them up a wall and dropping them, though.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I have a player that really, really hates missing playing a dragon sorcerer playing the zeitgeist adventure path. They are happy to tip everything into optimising too hit chances. They are currently level 5. Stuff that immediately occurs to me:

* They already have a free expertise feat and inherent bonuses
* Accurate Staff Feat
* Switch from 18/18 stat array to 16/20
* Grab oncoming thunder and change up power mix to include a ton of lightning + thunder spells.
* Grab coordinated explosion, potentially switching out to war wizard's expertise and getting war wizardry to ensure you don't frag team mates.
* Grab a lucky charm (Which they have and forget to use) and possibly the couters that allow a re-roll.

Also 'use more big AoE attacks' to allow multiple chances to hit. Anything I've forgotten?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gambler's Eight and Shape of the Multiverse.

Stone of $Relevant element

Or just play and Elementalist. It's trivial to get elementalists to hit on a 2.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are good ways for Elementalists to ignore a potential monster's elemental resistance or immunity?

I haven't read the description in a long time, so excuse me if it's an upper-tier class feature or feat.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

What are good ways for Elementalists to ignore a potential monster's elemental resistance or immunity?

Arcane Admixture in paragon. Those Gifts of the Queen items - one of them lets you count lightning as radiant. For the most part though you don't worry about it too much; the best way to bypass resistance is to just blast right the gently caress through it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
It also seems like a very reasonable house rule that elemantalists should get the same piercing resistance feature as sorcerers

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Coming into Paragon with the Brawler I asked about earlier. My DM likes to field grudge monsters that break my grabs either through teleporting or forced movement. For the porters I'm eyeing a feyslaughter weapon, but is there a feat or item or something that's good for countering forced movement?

I went Shock Trooper for the Paragon Path. Any particular feats a Brawler should be eyeing at Paragon?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Coming into Paragon with the Brawler I asked about earlier. My DM likes to field grudge monsters that break my grabs either through teleporting or forced movement. For the porters I'm eyeing a feyslaughter weapon, but is there a feat or item or something that's good for countering forced movement?

I went Shock Trooper for the Paragon Path. Any particular feats a Brawler should be eyeing at Paragon?

Feyslaughter is a good start, as are things that blind (can't usually teleport whilst blinded).

Forced movement resistance, look for items with 'Dwarven' in the name, I think there's a feet slot? There are also a couple of 'IR bounce back up and get back in the fight' type powers, but forced movement really screws with Brawlers :(

I assume you're doing Master of the Fist.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Feyslaughter is very good, as every loving monster starts teleporting around paragon. But if your DM is wasting actions breaking your grabs, you're doing your job.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

thespaceinvader posted:

Feyslaughter is a good start, as are things that blind (can't usually teleport whilst blinded).

Forced movement resistance, look for items with 'Dwarven' in the name, I think there's a feet slot? There are also a couple of 'IR bounce back up and get back in the fight' type powers, but forced movement really screws with Brawlers :(

I assume you're doing Master of the Fist.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out in the builder.

Yeah, MotF. I've actually been annoyed that I have to start relying on weapon. I've had a lot of fun being a fistfighter. Improved Monk Unarmed Strike is pretty high on my list of desired feats, because it and Shock Trooper combined for an effective +2 damage on average, and the group doesn't really have a dedicated striker so everybody has to pull their weight in damage.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Feyslaughter spiked gauntlets ;) I.e. not actually weapons, magical knuckle tattoos.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

thespaceinvader posted:

Feyslaughter spiked gauntlets ;) I.e. not actually weapons, magical knuckle tattoos.

I went with a talid so I can still grab stuff. But I'm only going to break it out when we're up against bamfers, otherwise I'll just punch stuff as usual.

EDIT: plus I kinda like the visual of an offhand claw weapon, grab-and-stab.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Spiked Gauntlets don't stop you grabbing stuff though?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

thespaceinvader posted:

Spiked Gauntlets don't stop you grabbing stuff though?

Don't they interfere with hand slot magic items in a way that a talid doesn't?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

They're a weapon, they go in the weapon slot, they don't interfere with any other type.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
From the Compendium

quote:

These gauntlets are specially fitted with metal spikes. Unlike other weapons, the spiked gauntlet occupies your magic item hands slot while enchanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Huh. I was wrong. But there still isn't much that is good that goes in the hands slot that's better than faeslaughter gauntlets. Short of doing claw gauntlets/weretheme bullshit.

• Locked thread