Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

I have multiple pieces of 2x6 scrap less than a foot long left over from some deck repair just sitting in the garage taking up space. My wife insists that we keep them. I have been slowly disposing of them by putting one out with the trash every other week. So far she hasn’t noticed. Because it’s scrap. That we won’t need. Or use. Ever.

You have doomed yourself to need a bunch of 2x6 scraps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I'm sure it's been mentioned a bunch.....but the phone commercial with the auto tune singing drives me nuts. I think it's for the iphone.....but I just mute the TV when it comes on......so I'm not positive.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Every iPhone commercial I've seen for the 15 (?) has been obnoxiously smug and annoying. I guess it's the way a lot of Apple fans always have been, but I legitimately didn't realize how self satisfied they were until fairly recently.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Sash! posted:

You have doomed yourself to need a bunch of 2x6 scraps

I refuse to be held hostage

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
speaking of every one of those AT&T Lily commercials feels like you're stepping into a conversation which you have no context for and can't really figure out. idk maybe i'm stupid. but it feels like every other line was removed from the script or something

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

JAMOOOL posted:

speaking of every one of those AT&T Lily commercials feels like you're stepping into a conversation which you have no context for and can't really figure out. idk maybe i'm stupid. but it feels like every other line was removed from the script or something

This but for the miralax ad that's just the girl from Broad City saying that she meets friends and lovers with miralax. It's devoid of other context and it's baffling.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
There's a commercial I've seen a few times on Pluot, don't know if it's also on "regular" TV that has Rachel Dratch for some kind of home warranty company. Nothing terrible or offensive about the content, but it looks like they used some really weird "skin smoothing" CGI effect on her and the other actor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TugvCbyrOfg
Only video of it I could fine, but the quality is pretty poor, like it was filmed n their phone pointed at the TV.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Speaking of Rachel Dratch, there's a Target commercial I've been seeing with a terrible SNL character reject whose one personality trait is 'loves working at Target'. Very annoying.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Speaking of Rachel Dratch, there's a Target commercial I've been seeing with a terrible SNL character reject whose one personality trait is 'loves working at Target'. Very annoying.

Is this the one with the Target cashier who says that she sometimes eats the barcode stickers?

Because I want to shoot my television every time I see it.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

That was an actual recurring SNL character. :eng99:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9cYmqIbPKI

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's some bizarre ad that keeps playing in front of movies in my local theater that's for some sports guy podcast and it is super annoying.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

SilentChaz posted:

That was an actual recurring SNL character. :eng99:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9cYmqIbPKI

I'm not sure whether that makes it better or worse. What a dumb concept for a character.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm not sure whether that makes it better or worse. What a dumb concept for a character.

Yeah, it seems to confuse Target with Walmart.

Like, Daniel Radcliffe's character wouldn't be a redneck working at Target, but a trans person.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah, it kind of seems like target paid SNL to make those skits. The character isn't really even making jokes, she's just kind of moving her body around in a weird way.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

gurragadon posted:

Yeah, it kind of seems like target paid SNL to make those skits.
Because they did.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
They did not. Kristen Wiig created the character herself while she was at the Groundlings. She even used it in her audition tape for SNL.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Oh, I didn’t know that. Still, they may not be mutually exclusive. SNL definitely does sponsored skits, anything with that much product placement is suspect.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

gurragadon posted:

Yeah, it kind of seems like target paid SNL to make those skits. The character isn't really even making jokes, she's just kind of moving her body around in a weird way.

Kristin Wiig is funny but sometimes her “characters” just wiggled and talked in a weird voice.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Kristin Wiig is funny but sometimes her “characters” just wiggled and talked in a weird voice.

Gilly is maybe the worst SNL recurring character of all time.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I am getting sick of all the overly enthusiastic employee ads, like the whole thing is based off Progressive Flo which as far as I understand was actually an organic thing, like it was one commercial people liked so they made a bunch more, now it seems like every company wants to have their own version of Flo. possibly worst of all is Jake from State Farm who is not only in the commercials but is also appearing at sporting events and such, and he always has to be like some random insurance employee, it's so weird. like he's probably a good actor but who's gonna hire him now?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

JAMOOOL posted:

I am getting sick of all the overly enthusiastic employee ads, like the whole thing is based off Progressive Flo which as far as I understand was actually an organic thing, like it was one commercial people liked so they made a bunch more, now it seems like every company wants to have their own version of Flo. possibly worst of all is Jake from State Farm who is not only in the commercials but is also appearing at sporting events and such, and he always has to be like some random insurance employee, it's so weird. like he's probably a good actor but who's gonna hire him now?

He was right in Caitlin Clark's face immediately after she got drafted

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
it all reminds me of the Subway and Honda stuff from Community

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

JAMOOOL posted:

possibly worst of all is Jake from State Farm who is not only in the commercials but is also appearing at sporting events and such, and he always has to be like some random insurance employee, it's so weird. like he's probably a good actor but who's gonna hire him now?

At this point I don't think Jake has much choice *but* to become a corporation taken human form. Squeeze them for as much money as you can now, cuz they'll drop him the literal second their numbers nerds determine he's not driving sales anymore -- they've replaced Jake from State Farm before, they'll easily do it again.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Original Jake was a funny gag.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sash! posted:

Original Jake was a funny gag.

That's how it always starts. Five years later, insurance-selling cavemen are getting a TV show pilot that failed, thank god.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

McSpanky posted:

That's how it always starts. Five years later, insurance-selling cavemen are getting a TV show pilot that failed, thank god.

It was an actual series that had 13 episodes made, not just a pilot. :eng99:

So tired of those Rocket Money ads that have the same douchebags yammering on in different combinations. The latest one where one of them talks about losing track of "at least $500 a month" (because that's so relatable)? :fuckoff:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah I avoided the service for so long just because of the ads. It's kind of useful too, at least while living paycheck to paycheck (or in my case, no check to one in a month or so), but I wouldn't even try it for a while due to how annoying the ads were.

---

I'm really annoyed that unilever thought that the rise of Lume meant that they should also have constant ads about body stank. Like 90% of the ads on any given basketball game are gambling (87%) and crotch rot (3%).

Rick fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 23, 2024

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Every third ad I see is a female Minotaur with Whole Body Deodorant spray.

I want to catapult everyone involved in these ads into the sun.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

JAMOOOL posted:

The short answer is that he doesn't need anyone to hire him now. Those recurring commercial characters are a veritable goldmine for actors, especially for insurance companies who need to put out a constant stream of new stuff. As I understand it, it's one of the few gigs where residuals make a killing, because they're on all the time for years. Flo makes one or two million a year from this job, and she's been doing this for ten years. Jake from State Farm will retire at 40 and never need to work again.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Every third ad I see is a female Minotaur with Whole Body Deodorant spray.

I want to catapult everyone involved in these ads into the sun.

I swear every third ad I see now is the Oreo commercial with the giant teddy bear. I only watch about four channels but it lurks on all of them incessantly.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

JAMOOOL posted:

I don't know if this applies to AT&T ads, but one thing that really bothers me is if you see an ad all the time (sports are really bad for this) you might notice a lot of commercial have 60-second, 30-second, and 15-second cuts. The shorter cuts break up the flow and ruin whatever mild amusement value the ad might have had, and sometimes they cut so much out that they're completely nonsensical unless you've seen the full thing a million times.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Think there's an LLM program that just spits out random drug names?

They all have names that remind me of the late 90s corporate boom when everything was being named nonsense words like Verizon and Accenture.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I switched from regular cable to IP TV provided by my cable company.

I guess for whatever reason the ad sales are different for this platform because I'm now getting just the most basic ads on some channels.

Like, I think Paramount just isn't selling ads for their channels. The only thing I get is ads for a couple Paramount+ shows and a few public service ads.

Did you know there is a new South Park special? Only on Paramount+! Don't do drugs! Tulsa King: Now on Paramount+! Did you know there is a new South Park special? Only on Paramount+!

Over and over and over and over.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

stealie72 posted:

They all have names that remind me of the late 90s corporate boom when everything was being named nonsense words like Verizon and Accenture.

Dropshipping companies on Amazon are really bad for stuff like that where yeah, it is literal nonsense random characters.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

stealie72 posted:

In the US, the generic names are the work of exactly two people. There's a lot of things they work into them, like the chemical structure, the purpose of the drug, and avoidance of letters that don't exist outside of English. Like there's no J in Italian, so no Js.

The brand name can't say what it does, can't say what it treats, can't refer to the generic, and has to sound distinct. That lends itself to gibberish sounding names.

Although sometimes they'll let one past that does say those things. The varicella vaccine is Varivax.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Sash! posted:

In the US, the generic names are the work of exactly two people. There's a lot of things they work into them, like the chemical structure, the purpose of the drug, and avoidance of letters that don't exist outside of English. Like there's no J in Italian, so no Js.

As I understand the priorities here are readability and uniqueness -- the average person needs to be able to walk into any pharmacy anywhere in the world with and ask for anticiliforab (or w/e) and they'll give you the right drug. They also take into account handwriting and like to include lots of Bs, Ts and other letters that are easily distinguishable from each other even if the handwriting on the prescription is otherwise pretty shaky.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 26, 2024

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned a bunch.....but the phone commercial with the auto tune singing drives me nuts. I think it's for the iphone.....but I just mute the TV when it comes on......so I'm not positive.

This commercial led me to seek out this thread for the first time in like 2 years. I have not felt this much hatred towards an Apple commercial since overexposure to the Feist iPod commercial. My brain is already wired to either grab the remote and mute or slam the mute button on my keyboard before the first "don't" is uttered. My hatred for this stupid commercial may somehow be a boon in the sense that it has sharpened my hearing to that of some endangered owl fending for the livelihood of its species and provides me with seemingly limitless, albeit temporary, dexterity I can use to mash mute with forces known only to James loving Cameron and other creatures in the deepest trenches of this godforsaken planet's oceans.

The no flex wingstop commercial is frustratingly bad, too. This is what I get for trying to watch sports.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
jesus christ, that "what a pro wants, what a pro needs" commercial is loving dire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

That is played every commercial break watching hockey. I hate it.