Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The iced tea ads where the lady sees her van frozen over or the guy buys a half gallon of the stuff to drink by himself. Just fine as they are but i cannot loving stand the gulpy sounds they make as they drink it. Probably more just a pet peeve of mine but still. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This is still the best husband/wife ad I've ever seen

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gonz posted:

This one's new, too. It's probably my favorite commercial airing right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys0cmMiW6bI

That's loving great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Can we complain about online advertising here? Because god drat am I sick of ponies.

THANK YOU.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still find it really insane how T-Mobile continues to air their ads bashing AT&T when they got bought out by them 3+ months ago. I'm also not sure if you have T-Mobile or go get a phone from them now you'll even have one of those special contracts once the merger is approved. I sincerely AT&T lets those exist.

Alltel was still running ads ripping Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile for quite a while after the Verizon purchase was cleared, too. :shepface:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Let me just say this - if, for Father's Day, I told my Dad I was taking him to Golden Corral?

He'd willingly have Vietnam flashbacks, beat the living black and blue out of me, light me on fire, and leave me staked outside the restaurant as a lure for incoming customers to step into the Punji Stake trap he set up in the parking lot.

...all for around ten bucks! :v:

Seriously I know their prices vary because of location, age, whatever, but that's such an awkward loving line.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

raditts posted:

You guys don't really think they didn't know what they were doing here, do you?

Exactly. This is basically on par with GoDaddy "WEB CONTENT UNRATED" ads and the previously mentioned "Make 7 Up Yours" stuff. It's to get a few people riled up and just brand the name some more. Not any different from that dumbass thing girls were doing on facebook where they posted their bra colors or where they liked putting their purse and it supposedly had something to do with breast cancer.

Along those lines, goddamn are those Helluvagood Dip radio ads annoying. We get it, guys. You have "hell" in your name. Clever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I saw one of those late night "date line" commercials where they just straight up said yo, nobody is calling these things for "dates." Call if you want to bang a chick.

hahaha well why beat around the bush? :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jedi posted:

The second I heard "Soccer", I knew what the joke was. Most of the SC commercials are good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLxKSvkpE1Y

They're usually very good but this is one of the best ones they've done in a long time.

E: Oh god the Dwight Howard one too

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Superrodan posted:

These are both fantastic.

An "ads you love" thread would be even better than an "ads you hate" thread but there might not be enough content.

It's been tried a couple times and died pretty fast

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Extreme or hipster: you be the judge.

loving awful. If your ad needs to show us some scruffy fatass chewing with his mouth open, mayo (or whatever MW is) all over his lips and beard, something has gone horribly wrong.

E: Holy poo poo they have one with James Carville :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I haven't decided what side of the question this falls under, but Rob Zombie directed a Woolite commercial.

http://www.movieline.com/2011/06/video-rob-zombie-directed-a-commercial-for-woolite-obviously.php

hahahahaha that's great

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's really sad to me that Joe Pesci is doing Snickers commercials now, rather than doing some real acting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys0cmMiW6bI

It's funnier than hell though.

Also can anyone confirm or deny the supposed law we hear about in radio ads for work-from-home places where they say things like "I made more money than I'm allowed to mention here!"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Apparently Domino's has never heard of the Arch Deluxe fiasco, because they have a commercial about how kids will hate their new line of "gourmet" pizzas, but adults will love them.

Right before the end, when they show that kids chalkboard/easel thing, look closely. There's a Noid doll sitting on it. Fantastic touch.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MillionsV posted:

Speaking of Domino's, I can't stand that "OMG WE'RE GIVING AWAY THREE-TOPPING PIZZAS FOR $7.99!!!!" commercial.

I flinch every time the cook says "This pizza is worth at least TWICE that!"

Seriously? gently caress you, cook! There's not a person alive who would pay $16 for a loving Domino's pizza! :argh:

KFC is back to talking about their "certified cooks" as well. I'd love to know what that certification entails.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grandpa Pap posted:

Is it just me (or my cable provider), or do there seem to be a fuckton of ads for insurance companies on lately? Allstate, Farmer's, State Farm, 21st Century, Geico, Progressive, The General, and that's just the ones I recall off the top of my head.

Speaking of the General, why does he roll with a penguin? Is he a big fan of Linux as well?

I'm speaking strictly to life insurance here, but it's one of the very few commodities that's actually gone down in price over the years because people are living longer. Seems to be the same in auto because by and wide, people are driving safer and safety technology in cars is improving. Likewise for homes made of better building materials, less fire hazards, etc.

I believe one of the first General commercials had him in Antartica for... some reason, and a bunch of those penguins were around. Guess he just stuck.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BigGayLogan posted:

There's this Brita water bottle commercial that's been airing frequently. I can't find a video for it but it has an eskimo and a shrill yuppie woman with the most smug and annoying tone of voice.

:byodame::"OH YOO HOO! BROWN PERSON! DRINK MY SUPERIOR TAP WATER FROM THE MALL INSTEAD!"

Yeah I can kind of see where they're going with this (as good as this crazy pure stream or whatever) but it really comes off as awful.

Moose Bigelow posted:

Beep beep penis time. The hunt is on.

Yeah, totally not creepy or anything.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Back on topic, I forget what phone it's for, but whoever thought the commercial with the girl screaming at the top of her lungs at a picture of a spider was a good idea can gently caress right off. Commericals are loud enough in the first place, now this one just has screaming.

What I don't get is it shows a guy beating the poo poo out of the very phone they're trying to advertise :psyduck:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I don't even get the point of that commercial. I guess they could be trying to say that their screens are really lifelike, but from what I remember they don't even say anything to that effect. And anyway you can actually see the phone's screen on TV and can tell it's a phone with a picture of a spider on it.

It'd be a pretty decent commercial for LSD though.

They do mention the colors and screen resolution as I recall so that's something, and if you're going to sell it on that point, I'll even buy the girl's freakout (loud and annoying as it is), but when you're showing your phone getting smashed to poo poo, that's probably not how you want to show the thing off.

The new PhoneTec Alpha 4! Your friends will break it! :downs:

raditts posted:

Smashing your phone because there's a picture of a spider on it isn't normal.

But on meth it is

hahahahaha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

aquatic sideshow posted:

Come the gently caress on Wendy's, even McDonald's isn't retarded enough to have "video chats" with Ronald McDonald.

They can do worse if you like :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

aquatic sideshow posted:

Man, I'd be careful with Pepsi. I heard that Pepsi teamed up with Wendy's for soft drink purposes, and they had such a virulent breakout of Listeria in their food products that all their employees were instructed to deny it.

Don't eat Wendy's or Pepsi, you'll get Listeria. It will almost certainly kill your kids.

Not seeing anything about Wendys suddenly working with Pepsi. Far as the food and beverage industry goes, that'd be a pretty major coup for Pepsi.

E: Or did a joke just fly right over my head :downs:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Pretty much anything John Cleese touches, turns to gold.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsJnoyqF064&feature=related

Everyone click this right loving now

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

kuribo posted:

There's an ad on ESPN Radio.com where this fellow rambles on and on about the aliens that are coming, how they're going to make him one of their generals, and how he can communicate with dolphins.

Seriously, it goes on like this for 45 seconds, and is interrupted about every 15 with something like, "Wouldn't you rather be listening to ESPN Radio than this guy?" or something.

It seriously makes me want to punch whatever exec thought this was a good idea.

I worked in radio for about 5 years, heard that and got a good laugh out of it because it sounds like a jab at Art Bell and George Noory.

Nobody even knows who those guys are/were anymore, do they? :smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

In the civilized part of the country I live in most grade schools don't go back until early September and colleges typically don't start until mid-August at the earliest. Give the kids some time to enjoy their summers before they are forced to grow up is all I'm saying.

Yeah but kids aren't the ones buying the stuff and I doubt spending one afternoon with mom to get binders and a ruler is going to destroy summer vacation.

Also there was this just a year or two ago and it was great

Clamknuckle posted:

Are they re-releasing the DVD? I love Rodney Dangerfield.

hahahaha

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 14, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I am still infuriated when ever I see a ad for a pickup truck. They still maintain the fiction that these are real trucks for real men with real jobs and show them towing giant stone blocks, or carrying the engine for a battleship.

Every ad is going to exaggerate claims though. It's really not any different from showing a hybrid driving a crazy amount of miles or a sports model doing figure-8s in the Salt Flats even though nobody's ever going to do that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

unhwillneverwin posted:

Dear Vizio,

You make a great point about the decline of western civilization that a man would rather watch a video of Beyonce rather than enjoy Beyonce in the flesh. Oh wait, you are trying to get me to buy your tv. That's just hosed up. Here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZVAX69ujEU

And apparently minorities are controlled at the turn of a dial. Or something.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Please tell me there's a YouTube of this.

Nope. :( MLB works pretty fast to pull everything that hits youtube.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Buzkashi posted:

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2011/7/12/2273187/transcript-of-justin-timberlake-trolling-joe-buck-on-live-television

There's video down at the bottom, not sure how long it'll last.

"Just a classy guy with a ... classy voice"

hahahahaha goddamn that's great. You can tell Buck knows he's busting his chops too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

I get that he's mocking him, but I think I'm missing why it's supposed to be so funny.

Buck admitted he isn't really wild about calling MLB games these days and is pretty much only doing it for a paycheck. He's boring to listen to at best and annoying at worst. Same for his NFL play-by-play.

E: Also for better or worse, he's always going to be compared to his father Jack Buck who was a fantastic announcer.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Darth Freddy posted:

Does any one else hate the new old spice guy?

He's not as good but I do have to laugh at it being Fabio.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MillionsV posted:

It's my understanding that the whole "Fabio is the new Old Spice guy" is a shadow campaign. They're encouraging people to RAAAGGGEEE until the old Old Spice guy makes a (already fully developed and probably filmed) "come back."

Watch the Fabio ad(s) again, and the faux-rivalry becomes really obvious.

That is why they are ads I hate.

However, it has led to Isaiah Mustafa (EDIT: Both of them, oh god hahaha) posting a ton of new responses to tweets on their Youtube page :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I was watching TV last night and saw a commercial for the latest "Kids Bop" and noticed that they were prominently saying that one of the songs is Lady Gaga's "Born This Way." Sensing that something might be a little off by this I looked online and surprise surprise they use a sanitized version of the song that removes any reference to sexual orientation, race, wealth or nationality. It kind of misses the whole point of the song.

If they're gonna sanitize the hell out of it and use different lyrics or whatever, why even have the song on the CD at all?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Because it's on the radio. You would not believe the smut my nephews have memorized off of the bus ride to school.

Oh, yeah I hadn't figured that'd be the radio edit too :downs:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

We have a local Kia dealer that is currently very proud to tell you how "Kia and its parent company sold more cars than Honda last month!" And that this was a reason to buy Kias.

Is this kind of like saying you should go see a minor-league baseball team because their MLB affiliate is good?

For the curious, Kia's parent company is Hyundai

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Audi is running a radio ad where some guy has come out of nowhere to sit in some woman's car because he's going to own it next. It's really loving creepy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Alberto Basalm posted:

there is a new commercial where a guy is in a Mexican restaurant, and some guy pops up at the window to hand him a Taco Bell triple steak burrito. I got a few problems with this.

2. Taco Bell doesn't ever deliver! Why not? Does Taco Bell realize how many kids are up at 4 am that are drunk/stoned and can't drive to Taco Bell but need some? They could make a killing if they delivered.

Not for nothing but the guy did say he had a valet going to get it for him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

They are real.

Yo-Yo balls owned and I will not hear any different.

gameface posted:

The company in question for that ad is AT&T. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwtz2Au6BGQ

I can't stop seeing Hellen Mirren in her :psyduck:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jesus Subway, quit it with the loving kid voices.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Notgothic posted:

I can't tell if I'm more tired of that aspect or the "our food is so good, people are going to ask you if they can have some (because they can't afford to spend five loving dollars apparently)" one.

Friends or coworkers asking for a bite of something that looks good isn't really uncommon so that doesn't as much bother me, but the kids voices are grating. That said, they're at least not nearly as bad as they were in those older spots in the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jubs posted:

Really? I think the construction workers are the worst. The black guy has a full sandwich when the other guys play Rock, Paper, Scissors. They play one round, turn back to the black guy and he had EATEN THE WHOLE SANDWICH IN FIVE SECONDS!

It's the voices, mainly.

Darth Freddy posted:

This.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s_0KybCW04&feature=player_embedded

Who has their toilet paper just sitting out on a table or something and not hanging off a roller? Even if they do have it sitting out why would you want to take the extra step of covering and uncovering it?

That does suck but at least it's free (in exchange for signing up for constant emails or something, I'm sure), and the puppy getting a quick nod was cool.