Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ElwoodCuse posted:

Eh, there are plenty of awful "my husband is an incompetent and dangerous child and needs me to save him from himself" ads too. Marketing and progressive attitudes toward gender don't really go together.

They're not really comparable because the commercials about incompetent dads/husbands are usually talking down to women and pigeonholing them in traditional domestic roles ("Men are just no good at cooking and cleaning, right ladies? Good thing they have us, and the new Mister Clean Magic Eraser! ;-*") while the ones about nagging wives are usually from the perspective of the husband tolerating them from a position of superiority.

It's the gender equivalent of complaining about how black people can say "cracker".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CobiWann posted:

Let me just say this - if, for Father's Day, I told my Dad I was taking him to Golden Corral?

He'd willingly have Vietnam flashbacks, beat the living black and blue out of me, light me on fire, and leave me staked outside the restaurant as a lure for incoming customers to step into the Punji Stake trap he set up in the parking lot.

The Golden Corral near my neighborhood was always busiest on Valentine's Day :stare:

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ElwoodCuse posted:

Hooray for lovely, unnecessary prequels. Let me know when Stop the Planet of the Apes, I Want To Get Off is on Broadway.

Apparently it's a good movie, the commercials are just terrible because they're trying to sell it as man-vs-ape warfare when its really more of a character study.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AFewBricksShy posted:

The new movie with Daniel Radcliffe reminded me of an annoying trend in horror movie advertising.

Rather than putting together a commercial that makes me interested in the storyline, it's just a bunch of interviews with people saying "boy howdy this movie is scary", or night vision camera footage of people hiding their eyes or reacting to jump scares.

I'd much rather have the story interest me. Maybe it's just me though.

Honestly, I'd rather have that than a commercial that spoils the entire movie. Like when Quarantine had the final shot of the movie in its commercials and even on the DVD box art :doh:

explosivo posted:

I looked it up before because I was curious too and found this. Basically each "cent" bid is actually 60 cents, so the iPad they claim to have been sold for $22.54 costs $1352.40. Scam!

Plus there's zero regulation for these sites so odds are it's just a bunch of bots run by the site driving up prices and making sure they never actually sell anything.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

muscles like this? posted:

Another super scammy set of commercials are anything that involves getting a computer without a credit check/using your checking account. Apparently the government investigated one of those companies and despite thousands of people signing up and paying them money they hadn't sent out a single computer. Of course after they discovered that all of a sudden a bunch of people got their computers!

Another scammy, predatory computer sales tactic was one where you "bought" a computer but never actually received it until you paid it off in full. Since this took 2 or 3 years by the time it was paid off the promised computer was only worth a fraction of its original value so the company made like a bandit selling them an obsolete piece of crap.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Danny Trejo posted:

I love doing it. Let me tell you something. When I was young, I was an armed robber. I did robberies. And there’s no adrenaline rush like that. When you’re using drugs and doing robberies, it’s hard to distinguish whether you’re doing robberies to support your drug habit, or doing drugs to support your robbery habit. Those guys that flip on motorcycles—it’s like the same kind of adrenaline. It’s unreal. The only time I ever felt that was when I heard Andrey Konchalovskiy yell, “Action!” And then I was like, “Wow. Here we are again. This whole adrenaline—” But this time I didn’t have a gun. I was like, “Wow. This is awesome.” I just totally got hooked. I found my calling. And then when I got my check, I said, “gently caress.” [Laughs.] “Wait a minute. For the first half of my life, I went to prison for being a bad guy. Now they’re paying me to be a bad guy.

The dude can and should take every acting gig with a paycheck for the rest of his life, he had a one-in-a-million lucky break and he'll always be a badass.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The commercial for Acts of Valor, in addition to looking like an awful movie independent of literally being a recruitment film for the Navy SEALS, amuses me to no end because somewhere over the past decade Eminem went from being one of those thug rappers who's corrupting our children to being patriotic red-blooded OORAH music.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SlothfulCobra posted:

I really can't tell if this is supposed to be serious or not.

"Hey ladies, you can schticky your pussy!"

"Oh, sorry, I see you're playing with your schticky, I'll come back later!"

He's trying to capitalize on his internet fame and "go viral", the problem is that when you try to be wacky and outrageous it almost always fails.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Industrial posted:

I cannot figure out who the intended audience for this movie is. It seems like it would only appeal to high school kids but it's rated R?

High school kids see a ton of R-rated movies, both in theaters and on DVD when they release the unrated cut that you don't need an ID to buy. It looks like some execs said "Hey, a bunch of teenagers loved The Hangover, why don't we make a version of that specifically aimed at teens? And we'll make it a found footage movie since kids love their YouTubes! Cocaine for everyone!"

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

raditts posted:

Funny you say that, since the producer is the same guy who produced / directed the Hangover.

This makes me nervous because, much like how Superbad kept the 40 Year-Old Virgin Apatow train a-rolling, this looks like it's going to lead to another 3 or 4 years of every movie trying to be the next Hangover.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Uncle Salty posted:

Can someone explain to me the idea behind the commercial scenario where you have average people doing something in an everyday setting, and a wacky guy comes up to them and barges in, insults them and offers them advice/a better product?

I really wish I could find it but there was a whole website dedicated to sarcastically pointing out marketingthink like this. Like "Oh boy, they took a song I liked and changed the lyrics to be about their product!"

Gonz posted:

Mio's ingredients are basically 100% artificial. It's like squirting concentrated awfulness into your water.

Case in point:

On no, not...chemicals! :cry:

The ingredients are exactly the same as every other low-calorie drink mix like Crystal Light: artificial sweetener, natural flavoring, and some coloring. They just mix it with water and a thickening/stabilizing agent to make it different enough that people will pay even more money for the same ingredients. In fact, many of those ingredients (citric acid, malic acid, natural flavoring, dyes, potassium citrate, potassium sorbate) are actually found in most "real" fruit juice that has undergone any degree of processing.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SpazmasterX posted:

What is it with celebrities and having kids with Autism? There's gotta be something in their fancy bottled water if 1 in 110 celebrity's children are coming out autistic.

One of the few concrete links with occurence autism is the age of the mother, where older women are exponentially more likely to have autistic children. I'm guessing more celebrities wait until they're older to have kids.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rhyno posted:

Jimmy Johns radio ads are so bad that if I'm in the car and one comes on it makes me want to drive my car into the nearest school building.

I've made it a point to never, ever eat Jimmy Johns solely because of how annoying it was in college to have their delivery people wallpaper the entire floor of my apartment complex in doorhangers and flyers every time they delivered. Their radio ads are just par for the course.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What the gently caress is going on in those furry wet dream Mio water thing commercials? They're on all the time and I don't get the joke.

I think they're trying to rip off those french Orangina only with less artiness and even more creepiness.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Atasi posted:

Posting The Oatmeal in a thread about bad advertising is pretty appropriate, considering the guy openly admits that he's a SEO who makes content purely based on what will get him the most income from social media exposure. It's advertising that advertises itself!

Wagonburner posted:

MW sucks and anyone else who agrees with me is welcome to come over and talk with me about the best ways of keeping kids off your lawn, teenagers from playing that hippin hoppin music up and down the street and keeping rascal batteries topped up. PS. Those invest in gold places Sean Hannity advertises, they any good?

Wait, not liking Miracle Whip is an old person thing now? I always associated Miracle Whip with old people whose taste buds are so shot that they liked the "tangy zip" and were off-handedly worried about their heart health enough to think that a slurry of mayonnaise, salad dressing, and sugar was a "healthy" alternative.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CapnAndy posted:

If a robot wants to self-identify as female I dunno why y'all genderists got such a problem with it :colbert:

A self-identifying android-to-gynoid robosexual

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

404GoonNotFound posted:

But straight edgers are TOTALLY persecuted instead of the ones doing the holier-than-though persecuting, really :spergin:

If there has ever been an instance of smoking being brought up on SA without the exact phrase "holier-than-thou" being used within 5 posts I have never encountered it.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SpacePig posted:

Wait, what? As in the action freezes and an ad comes up over it? Or that it has some way that it pauses what you recorded and plays an ad separate to it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vUtfG9Bkec

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

:ughh:

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Barudak posted:

Any ad with QR codes is an ad I hate because its wasted money that somebody got convinced to spend that also typically ruins an ad's creative. Why do two bad things at once?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone scanning a QR code in an ad. Ever. They're up there with social media experts and Second Life when it comes to welfare for tech nerds caused by execs being clueless. "Oh yes, your toothpaste company definitely needs a full-time employee to run their Facebook page!"

raditts posted:

I don't even understand where the competition exists between Gamefly and Gamestop. "Are you mad that you can't resell your games for the same price you bought them for? Use Gamefly." :confused:

"If you're going to deprive the company the actually made the game from making a single cent off of your purchase, why not at least save yourself some money as well and just rent it instead?"

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

McSpanky posted:

Also, gotta love the assertion that an audiophile (or, like, anyone) is gonna be listening to music from a laptop's speakers and not some headphones.

An audiphile would probably have an aneurism at there mere suggestion. Where are the $7000 cables? Or the bag of magic rocks you put on top of the speaker to make it sound "richer" and "fuller"?

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DJExile posted:

They're not effective, everyone on the drat planet knows smoking is bad for you.

You don't understand how advertising or people work.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Victory Yodel posted:

Did I just dream the Ragu commercial during the Olympics that had the fat kid walking in on his parents loving?

Give him Ra-gu 'cause childhood's tough
Give him Ra-gu 'cause he's sure had enough...

Here's the actual commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWD0wUmO8jk

I love that food companies are finally just openly advocating that people drown their emotional issues in food.

"Childhood trauma? Just pour Ragu down the little porker's gullet until he sinks into a blissful diabetic coma and Mom and Dad can go for another round!"

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, now they're digitally superimposing ads on the football field.

gently caress everything.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
At this point I'm just hoping that the same context-aware overlay technology can one day be used to remove ads as well as place them.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Meltathon posted:

I thought it cost more than $300, and you have to replace the blade and one other part everytime it goes off, which is something like $150. Still cheaper than cutting off a digit and having the hospital sew it back on though.

Also, since it runs off of conductivity you can't cut anything wet or you risk a false positive.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DrBouvenstein posted:

Are they really using that "I'm Coming Home" song for the new Assassin's Creed game?! :psyduck:

Legitimately disappointed that it wasn't this "I'm Coming Home" song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJdibeZlhiE

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

muscles like this? posted:

The panda stuff actually predates Kung Fu Panda. It started off years ago as an April Fool's joke introducing a new race into Warcraft 3. For the rest of it, yeah it sounds pretty stupid.

not only that, but the panda thing actually caused a lot of friction between Blizzard and China (currently their largest customer base) because in Warcraft 3 the Pandarens had Japanese-style clothes and weapons but pandas are China's big animal.

Really, I'm cool with the pandas. Blizzard's character and stories are always bland and generic, saying "gently caress it" and letting people play as big cuddly pandapeople (:3:) is way better than yet another generic and uncreative race of elves or dwarves or whatever.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pththya-lyi posted:

2. Why is Captain Ahab there? I can't see a kid getting into Moby Dick, what with all the boring stuff you have to wade through to get to the exciting parts.

If you do it right, picking someone completely outside your target audience can work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKgBdrsqvjs

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lyz posted:

I hate how inaccurate all these Samsung Galaxy commercials are, you know the ones where people are playing with their phones and all the people standing in line are like "ooooooh."

I mean, c'mon. They feature Apple fans CHANGING THEIR MINDS. We all know that never happens.

Apple fans are so smug and obnoxious! All they do is talk about how great Apple is!

-two continuous pages of people :jerkbag: over how terrible Apple is-

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

raditts posted:

I don't get what it is with Microsoft and user-friendliness. Like, there's always something, or several things, that are obvious things they could do to not make their mobile products a pain in the dick to use, but they don't do it, and then Apple swoops in to do it and is heralded as genius. They had like a good decade to make Windows Mobile not a piece of poo poo before iOS came along, and now the only thing they have in response to that is loving Windows Phone 7.

That's kind of been Apple's deal for a while now, they may be more expensive and not have as amazing pure stats but they really drive home making innovations in user-friendliness that are subsequently ripped-off by everyone else.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

404GoonNotFound posted:

Man, we sure are lucky Coal is completely harmless. Thanks, Clean Coal!

Since this is the commercial thread, I feel the need to post this (great) commercial by the Coen Bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-_U1Z0vezw

Sash! posted:

I'm also offended that they make the retail clerks appear to be malevolent, like they actually enjoy making people get irrationally angry for $7 an hour.

You've obviously never had some fat neckbeard berate your purchase choices when you try to check-out at GameStop.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

When I saw the trailer before Looper, I could have sworn that it was China invading. Bright red flag and everything. Incidentally, why is the movie still called Red Dawn, North Korea isn't communist anymore. The movie should be Juche Dawn.

Funny you mention Looper, because the entire reason that China is the lone super-power in the movie's future is because it was one of the conditions of the film's Chinese backers. The entire joke about him learning French was a reference to the fact that before that he was going to flee to France instead.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pepperoniroller posted:

There's a certain amount of personal responsibility when it comes to diet. I have nothing against a company like taco bell trying to make money through advertising. It always strikes me as funny when people complain about it

Individual - All the responsibility

Multi-billion-dollar corporation - No responsibility whatsoever

Makes perfect sense :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

vyst posted:

I love how they pitch "cost-efficient" eating in some commercials, then poo poo on "cost-efficient" eating in others. gently caress your 2 dollar sandwich you made from home you cow! COME TRY OUR DOLLAR MENU.

I especially love that they have commercials bragging about how cheap their value menu is when they actually just raised prices. You want something to brag about, Smugwendy? Go back to the halcyon days when a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger was 99 cents.