Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Vikings are supposed to be mighty Nordic :black101:, navigating rough seas in their longboats as part of their neverending drive to conquer, and holding gargantuan victory feasts where they consume enormous amounts of alcohol.

They are NOT supposed to be goofy English-accented fuckers running around having wacky adventures while hawking Capital One credit cards. <:mad:>

Also, I don't care about Pomplamousse or whatever they're called as far as their music goes, but I think the female singer is kinda cute. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Sash! posted:

They're not Vikings. They're Visigoths.

Visigoths or Vikings, the commercials still annoy the poo poo out of me. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Is it just me (or my cable provider), or do there seem to be a fuckton of ads for insurance companies on lately? Allstate, Farmer's, State Farm, 21st Century, Geico, Progressive, The General, and that's just the ones I recall off the top of my head.

Speaking of the General, why does he roll with a penguin? Is he a big fan of Linux as well?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Sporadic posted:

Mylife.com is the scummiest commercial I have seen in a long time.

Some poor old lady

6 people searched for me! :neckbeard:
Maybe it's the office and they want me back :ohdear:

I believe someone else said it previously in the thread, but every time I see that commercial I now think "Yes, six people are searching for you: four bill collectors and two creepy stalkers." :haw:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Shut the front door? No, I want to shut my TV off every time that stupid family eats some Oreo fudge creme cookies and exclaims a silly phrase that sounds like it could be slightly naughty but really isn't. They can go Franklin Delano themselves. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
There's a Walgreens commercial where a lady says something about being weighed, but for the life of me I always hear it like she's saying "I really should have taken my shoes off before I got laid." :quagmire:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

vyst posted:

I can't stand that Geico commercial where the 3 office nerds are doing dumb poo poo with their smartphones. I just want to drop kick them all.

At my last office job we had a manager complain that some people in cubicles (that were located at the other end of the room) were talking too loud and she could hear them in her office. Those three fucksticks wouldn't have lasted a day there. :colbert:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I know the DQ Man thinks it's cool and all, but when he blows bubbles with kittens in them, I just worry about what's gonna happen to the poor kittens when the bubbles pop and he's not around to catch them because he's busy beating Mary Lou Retton out of that drat pinata. :ohdear:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

aquatic sideshow posted:

Didn't Cheerios get into a shitload of trouble for advertising their cereal as if it had health benefits?

There's a stupid lovely commercial where apparently a group of people go into a restaurant, and all order bowls of cereal. Not only that, they apparently order bowls of cereal by telling the waitress whichever health problem they have, and the waitress brings out bowls of Cheerios like some sort of bizarre pharmacist-waitress-cereal maker. It boggles the mind.

So did Dannon with their Activia yogurt brand. I'm sad to see Jamie Lee Curtis out there hawking the yogurt equivalent of snake oil. :(

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
In the Progressive commercial with Groovy 70's Stache Dude sitting in the movie theater, I know what he says involves savings, and I know it's ridiculous on my part...but damned if I can't help but hear him saying "This movie stars you...and Satan. But mostly Satan." :unsmigghh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
"I'm not Richard, I'm Grandpa Smucker!" Even though he clearly is Richard, a small child, and not Grandpa, who we are left to assume has recently shuffled off this mortal coil.

Is the child possessed by Grandpa's malevolent spirit from beyond the grave? Experiencing a personality disorder, to cope with the trauma of Grandpa's passing? Trying to get in on some of that sweet "elderly spokesperson" money Orville Redenbacher was making bank with?

I dunno. All's I do know is that kid is loving annoying.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

NaturalLow posted:

On another note, am I the only one who wants to gouge out her eardrums everytime one of those Weight Watchers commercials with Jennifer Hudson airs? For some reason they've been playing constantly and even though there's several different versions, they all just boil down to Jennifer warbling out the same irritating song. I don't know why but it just grates on my nerves so much.

I had a bit of a :wtf: moment a while back when PBS played an ad for the new "Upstairs, Downstairs" series, and the song used in the ad was the same one that Jennifer Hudson's been singing (except a British guy was singing it instead).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Stairs posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfPDrN-rHAg
This Abilify commercial really bothers me because the "depression" is just loving adorable. I actually feel bad for the little gray cloud as it gets smaller and smaller. He just wants to be your friend you sad bitch!

I'm pretty sure this commercial doesn't do what it intended to do. If you want to show us how your drug can eradicate your horrible sense of self loathing, then don't make the drat mascot look like it belongs on a Care Bear's stomach.

It always reminds me of the "Black Spot" cartoon that featured in an episode of Monty Python. I always expect the depression cloud to start jumping around on people's heads while making farting sounds. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

DJExile posted:

Chrysler's been trying their damndest to say Detroit is going through a renaissance of sorts. Believe me when I say it's not working.

That's for sure. Detroit's been considered a hellhole by the rest of the country since at least the 1970s. It'd take an entire army of Rudy Giuliani types to come in and sweep out all the corruption and crime. Chrysler putting some footage of the few non-abandoned skyscrapers to an Eminem song and proclaiming things are looking up for Motor City isn't fooling anyone.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I don't want the Flo commercials to stop airing because I find her strangely attractive. It's really weird, but I've had like 10 people agree with me...and then feel uneasy about themselves. But the commercials themselves are annoying.

It's weird because I'll see one commercial with her where she looks flat-out bug-eyed and insane. And then I'll see another commercial with her (like the "motorcycle riders" one) and I'll just be all :swoon:

But at least she hasn't gotten as annoying as that friggin' Cockney gecko has. And I say this as a dyed-in-the-wool Anglophile. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Vakal posted:

This reminds me of a short horror story Clive Barker wrote about two villages that compete with each other every decade by strapping all their citizens together naked to form two giant golems, and then they fight each other.

"In the Hills, the Cities", and though I hadn't seen that commercial before now, I have to agree. Just envision that "people golem" from the commercial with about 40,000 more people and as tall as a skyscraper. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Mozi posted:

If anything I hate the second place AT&T one more because at least Poop There it Is is.... well actually it's pretty terrible on all levels too.

But I just can't see why AT&T would even air this ad.

Husband: Hi Wifey I signed us up for [service that the commercial is trying to sell].
Wife: I loathe you so much you miserable little worm. I should have listened to my relatives who hate you too. I'm going to put rat poison in your oatmeal.
Husband: Yes dear OK dear whatever you say dear. I'm sorry and it's true I'm a worthless human being.

Who exactly is this targeted at?

"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" fans, perhaps? :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
If I should ask a lady from work out on a date to Chili's, and she responded by quoting John Lee Hooker's "Boom Boom" in her normal voice, we'd have a laugh and hopefully have a good date.

If, on the other hand, I should ask her out to Chili's and she responds in a deep voice that sounds eerily like that of the late bluesman--complete with music in the background--there would suddenly be several pressing engagements I would just happen to remember at that moment.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Sash! posted:

I'd ask her how she's doing it and if she can do more songs because we might have a hit on a reality singing show.

That would work, but I'd have to keep it strictly professional. It'd freak me out to hear that voice during the throes of lovemaking. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

100 Years in Iraq posted:

The whole flaw in this is "asking out a coworker" combined with "date at Chili's."

I had the same thought too, but then I remembered the time a few years ago when I asked an attractive co-worker out and she said she wanted to go to Chili's because it was her "favorite place", and I figured I shouldn't throw stones from my glass house over here. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

100 Years in Iraq posted:

And to me, someone saying Chili's was their favorite restaurant would probably get a worse reaction than them singing "Boom Boom" just like John Lee Hooker. :haw:

Well, desperate times call for desperate measures and all that. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'M BLACK OPS!

Die!

The San Fran Giants will need to replace that guy in their lineup if he ever tries to steal my XXL Chalupa, I can tell you that. :colbert:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
If I learned anything during the seven months or so that I spent in NYC last year, it's that Jennifer Lopez is better off leaving the NYC driving to her body double and that the Geico gecko was actually right in his commercial about finding a place to park. Sure, you can own a car in NYC, but unless you like having to park a block or two away, paying exoribtant parking garage fees, and/or getting your car towed when you inevitably forget to move it one day or park in the wrong zone...it just seems like a major hassle. Besides, you get a much more entertaining show on the bus or train. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Dear Nikon: while I do admit to getting a slightly ironic chuckle nowadays out of your commercial featuring Ashton Kutcher taking pictures of various attractive women on the beach (and I'm sure Demi Moore has that bit in the other commercial where he's getting fired out of a cannon on permanent loop), at this point I'm really thoroughly sick of seeing him everywhere and so I am asking that you please tell the basic cable networks to stop airing these ads. TIA, Yr. Pal, GP

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Thank you, Chase advertising exec, for giving us a commercial featuring the following:

1. a guy saying "YEAAAAHHHH" in the most irritating way possible;
2. a random Chase spokesman and his cameraman buddy filming him and playing the "YEEEAAAAHHH" back numerous times;
3. at the end of the commercial, in what what must surely be the pinnacle of commercial comedy, the spokesman decides it would be great to play "YEAAAHHHH" back yet again...but this time in slow motion.

I dearly regret closing my account out with you earlier this year. Now I won't be able to continue funding wonderful commercials such as these. :rolleyes:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I want to see every lovely band that's ever been featured in a FreeCreditReport.com commercial get bottled a la the Blues Brothers at Bob's Country Bunker. Except without the being shielded by chicken wire bit.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I'm not sure which I'm more irritated by in the "my little bundle" Vonage commercial:

A)the fact that even though the woman plainly and clearly says they need to get rid of their phone bundle and switch to Vonage, the guy is just too drat busy cooing over the baby to listen and thus a cliched "comedy misunderstanding" ensues

or

B)It's 2012 and they are STILL USING THAT DAMNED "HOO HOO" SONG FROM "KILL BILL". :argh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Heh, this was a joke on an old Doctor Who episode ("Remembrance of the Daleks"). The Doctor and Ace see a van with some weird looking aerials on it, the Doctor says "What do you suppose that is?" and Ace says "I dunno, TV detector van?" (They're in 1963.)

"The Young Ones" built part of an episode around the TV detector man showing up to bust them because they hadn't paid their license fee. :v:

Speaking of British stuff, on HGTV there's commercials for "Love it or List It" that play this almost-but-not-quite take on the Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go" that bugs the poo poo out of me because they never quite get around to starting the song. In a similar vein, there's also a commercial that airs quite frequently on that channel (I think it's for Lowes) that sounds damned close to "U.S. 80s-90s" by the Fall.

Neither of these are bad things necessarily, more that it's just annoying because it makes me want to hear the full song when they air.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Honey...I love you. That's why I'm proposing to you over the goddamn Progresso soup, because I'm a complete tool who couldn't think of a more romantic way to do it. :rolleyes:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

DJExile posted:

E: And Activia is back to "we help prevent irregularity!" claims. Wasn't this what got them sued?

It bothers me because I've always been a Jamie Lee Curtis fan and I hate to see her shilling for what's essentially snake oil/placebo yogurt. :sigh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I know I've mentioned it before, but the horrible, horrible butt-rock band that plays in the airport during that one Free Credit Report (or Score, or whatever) commercial needs to hurry the gently caress up and go die in a fire. Like yesterday.

All those "band singing about credit reports" commercials are dumb to begin with, the airport one just particularly grinds my gears. Are there seriously people out there who hear some terrible frat-boy rap-rock about credit scores and identity theft, and proceed to say to themselves "Why yes, I do need to check my credit report. Thanks brah"?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Atasi posted:

What I don't get is how that guy is both a hobo nomad who travels around the world and has to worry about his credit score?

Let alone how he inspires some terrible band to rhyme "Himalayas" with "playa". :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Insult Comic Barbie posted:

Kind of old, but - is that what the song says? I really can't tell if she's singing "OOOOOOOOON" or "OHHHHPAN". I also have no idea what the last spoken line is supposed to say - "I proposed to the rock I really had in mind"?

Like the rest of you, I find this song about as pleasant as hearing fingernails on a chalkboard, so I did some Googling for "somebody left the gate open" and discovered that the song is called "Into the Wild" by some artiste named L.P. (appropriately self-captioned pic below):

I didn't bother to look up the lyrics but I'm sure they're a paean to being unconventional and individual and all that "free your mind" kinda stuff. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
The "Jake from State Farm at 3 in the morning" commercial irritates me, because it has the potential to be sort of funny, but as usual the people who made it assume most everyone has the intelligence of a potato and over-explain the loving joke.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Not a complaint, but I have noticed that there seem a lot more commercials here in the US featuring people with foreign accents lately. Primarily they're mostly British or Aussie accents, though there are exceptions (like that one Rembrandt tooth whitener commercial that has the hot lady who wears a tight skirt and has a vaguely Scandinavian accent). I'm all for anything that reminds people there are other countries out there besides ours. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

The Grimace posted:

Okay, Honda. You like Crazy Train. I don't loving care, I hear this commercial every other break on Comedy Central and I'm sick as poo poo of it. Seriously muting my TV every time the drat thing comes on and I hear "bum bum."

That commercial has seriously ruined what little enjoyment I had left for that song (after having heard it a billion times during my youth).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Parachute posted:

The CitiCard commercial where the guy gets dumped is the loving pits. Yes boring guy, you are now next-level-generic boring white dude when you think participating in a cooking class, going to a museum, and seeing an Alicia Keys concert alone make you less boring. You will be alone forever, sorry.

That commercial is definitely one of the dumber ones I've seen recently. It's the epitome of "If I like these things that I think women also like, they can't help but want me!" :downs:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Rirse posted:

The Call of Duty ad is starting to really get on my nerves. Hate to say it, but I never want to hear Back in Black ever again due to the ads for it.

As someone who prefers Bon Scott-era AC/DC, I agree with this 1000% percent.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

You Are A Elf posted:

So sick of seeing and hearing the inescapable Windows 8 commercial with an uninspired remake of "Express Yourself" by Charles Wright. It's just some dude talking over the drum break to "Funky Drummer" by James Brown, and then you hear "EXPRESS YOURSELF!" and some horn stabs from the Charles Wright song, and that's about it. Talk about annoyingly unoriginal and lovely.

Oh yeah, there's some people doing Windows 8 stuff or something. I don't know. The song gets on my nerves more than the commercial.

I hate that one, along with the Sandals beach resort commercial that has a "funky" version of "(I've Had) The Time of My Life". The one where the guy comes in right after the first verse and says "DOITALLAGAIN!" To me, it's the worst sort of lame, pandering-to-white-folks-in-an-attempt-to-sound-"hip"-and-"urban" type of jingle (which is especially dumb as it's advertising an island getaway vacation), and it makes me cringe whenever I hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Another one that's made my personal poo poo list: the Progresso soup commercial where the guy says "Step One: Eat. The. Soup." when questioning how to best obtain its' miraculous health benefits. And here I thought you were supposed to wash your hair with it. :rolleyes: