Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I took classes at a different program last year and I'm starting an MBA this Fall. I got the change of program form in to the VA near the end of June but the certifying official at this school didn't certify my classes until about 16 days ago. How long should I be planning to wait for the VA to pay out to either the school or me? I know last year it was faster but they also got my form in early instead of sitting on it for 2 months like this guy did.

My certifying official forgot to submit my stuff to the VA when I turned it in ~6 weeks before the semester started. When I emailed them to see how long it'd take to get the benefits they finally submitted it and I had my book payment within a week. As long as you've got the enrollment verification email from the VA the money will be on the way.

blue squares posted:

When I look at my time remaining on Ebenefits (14 months and 11 days), does that include the days of this semester that have not yet happened (i.e., tomorrow through December)? Or has the whole semester already been subtracted? I am trying to just make sure I have enough time left to do my last three semesters after this one.

They subtract the whole semester at once.

FireTora fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

FireTora posted:

My certifying official forgot to submit my stuff to the VA when I turned it in ~6 weeks before the semester started. When I emailed them to see how long it'd take to get the benefits they finally submitted it and I had my book payment within a week. As long as you've got the enrollment verification email from the VA the money will be on the way.

Alright. I definitely got the email, I was double checking that the wait wasn't going to be a month plus. Well fingers crossed it comes in this week.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Couple questions;

What are the best ways to get the most out of 9/11 GI Bill with regards to BAH vs possible cost of living in an area? I'm getting out next year. And have to try and support a kid and my wife who's also going to be going to school part time while working. (using student loans). My major is in Comp-Sci so there's pretty much school's everywhere, but we're aiming at preferably Co, Or, or Washington. Currently ~50 credits into my undergrad.

Does anyone have experience trying to collect unemployment while going to school full-time using their post 9/11? I tried to find out info about going to school while on unemployment but google just brought me to a bunch of people ranting and raving about kids now-a-days and how back in the day they got through college fine working part time.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Well BAH is factored off of your school's zip code not where you live. So you can just plug the zip into the BAH calculator. I'm sure you already know but you get e-5 BAH with the post-911, assuming you didn't get out as an e-5 or above

Also collecting unemployment while going to school depends on the state. In California you're not allowed to go to school and collect unemployment because if you can go to school you can look for work. That's the thought process anyways. I assume most states are the same. There are exceptions of course. They don't actually check any of the above nor have I heard of anyone getting in trouble for it. Know a lot of people that collected while using the post 911 for school. One of my buddies said his friend did click the "are you attending school, training, blah blah"'option and they called him for a phone interview to determine eligibility and he said he'd quit school if he got a job and that was good enough for them.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 2, 2015

ann disaster
Jan 27, 2007
Garbage and dogs are not part of a balanced diet.
U

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ace of Baes posted:

Couple questions;

What are the best ways to get the most out of 9/11 GI Bill with regards to BAH vs possible cost of living in an area? I'm getting out next year. And have to try and support a kid and my wife who's also going to be going to school part time while working. (using student loans). My major is in Comp-Sci so there's pretty much school's everywhere, but we're aiming at preferably Co, Or, or Washington. Currently ~50 credits into my undergrad.

Does anyone have experience trying to collect unemployment while going to school full-time using their post 9/11? I tried to find out info about going to school while on unemployment but google just brought me to a bunch of people ranting and raving about kids now-a-days and how back in the day they got through college fine working part time.

Collecting unemployment also stops you from collecting Pell Grants. That's 5800 bucks gone.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Leather Bear posted:

Collecting unemployment also stops you from collecting Pell Grants. That's 5800 bucks gone.

That seemed to be true in my case, but I got a lot more than 5800

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

blue squares posted:

That seemed to be true in my case, but I got a lot more than 5800

Not from the pell grant you didn't, genius.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Not from the pell grant you didn't, genius.

From unemployment. Pay attention to context.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

blue squares posted:

From unemployment. Pay attention to context.

You're loving dead

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Depending on the area, unemployment shouldn't be terribly necessary. I live in a big expensive city and do just fine with the GI Bill bah and pell grants. I have taken out about 8K in subsidized student loans just to give myself extra breathing room.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I could live just off of BAH alone

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Drawing unemployment was kind of lovely of me since I didn't really need it, but my rear end in a top hat Governor didn't expand Medicaid and now I'm paying out the rear end for insurance, so gently caress the state budget

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
gently caress that, if you can get it, use it. I didn't qualify because when I was AD I was smart enough to put money into TSP and a Roth IRA, which DQed me from unemployment. Cue me cashing in most of my retirement and getting hosed on taxes.

Use that poo poo.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Why are you paying for health insurance? I am means tested into full VA coverage. As a student you don't make any money and should qualify for healthcare. I've been doing it for a few years now.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

sharkbomb posted:

Why are you paying for health insurance? I am means tested into full VA coverage. As a student you don't make any money and should qualify for healthcare. I've been doing it for a few years now.

I never went to a combat theater and so I was under the impression I was not eligible for anything. I'm 20% disabled fwiw

blue squares fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 6, 2015

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

blue squares posted:

I never went to a combat theater and so I was under the impression I was not eligible for anything. I'm 20% disabled fwiw

Ah, okay. I know I had a bump in my "priority group" because I had time in a combat theater. Still, every time I fill out the application for health benefits my income is basically between $0 and $3,000 because I'm a student. I think that low income is enough to get health benefits.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
VA sent me $666 today. Hail Satan, I guess? What could this be for?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Books, probably.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Hail satan.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
:siren: IF YOU HAVE 30%+ DISABILITY RATING AND YOUR SCHOOL OFFERS AND REQUIRES HEALTH INSURANCE, YOU COULD BE LEAVING A LOT OF MONEY OUT THERE:siren:

My school offers health insurance. You can only turn it down if you have your own health insurance. The GI Bill pays for the health insurance. I also have a disability rating of 30%+, so I have tricare. My school accepts tricare, which means I basically have two health insurance plans.

The school's health insurance for the fall semester is around $1400. After the GI Bill paid my tuition -- which included the health insurance premium -- I signed a waiver declining the school's insurance plan and received a $1400 refund in my student account, which meant $1400 in my pocket.

The GI Bill has hidden money everywhere. 

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The gift that just keeps on giving, drat. Now that I don't have an income curious to see what that grant money will be here coming up next year and such :eyepop:

I hate when they pay you more than they normally do and you're just waiting for the "woops we overpaid you!" letter

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Guess I should have waited to waive their health insurance.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

Cole posted:

:siren: IF YOU HAVE 30%+ DISABILITY RATING AND YOUR SCHOOL OFFERS AND REQUIRES HEALTH INSURANCE, YOU COULD BE LEAVING A LOT OF MONEY OUT THERE:siren:

My school offers health insurance. You can only turn it down if you have your own health insurance. The GI Bill pays for the health insurance. I also have a disability rating of 30%+, so I have tricare. My school accepts tricare, which means I basically have two health insurance plans.

The school's health insurance for the fall semester is around $1400. After the GI Bill paid my tuition -- which included the health insurance premium -- I signed a waiver declining the school's insurance plan and received a $1400 refund in my student account, which meant $1400 in my pocket.

The GI Bill has hidden money everywhere. 

oh cool, im going in tomorrow and asking about health insurance, i dont recall ever answering yes or no to anything health insurance related

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Have y'all TRIED enrolling with your local VA? If you're a student then you likely don't have much income, meaning you probably qualify for coverage based on your low income.

I have been out of the service for 4 years, never purchased health insurance, go to yearly physicals at my local VA and get prescription drugs, and I'm waived by my school on the insurance requirements.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I have a medical question: If I have high-functioning autism and have previously suffered chronic symptoms of PTSD from three separate occasions (from social turmoil) in the last few years, would it be respectable or dis-respectful to compare my PTSD to that of a shell-shocked war veteran's?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
To most of the people that will be in a situation where that comes up, yes. That's a judgement call, but it's going to sound lovely to a lot of people, whether it's an accurate comparison or not.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I have a medical question: If I have high-functioning autism and have previously suffered chronic symptoms of PTSD from three separate occasions (from social turmoil) in the last few years, would it be respectable or dis-respectful to compare my PTSD to that of a shell-shocked war veteran's?

I don't think you should worry about comparing things. What is your goal in making this comparison? It doesn't accomplish anything. If anything, it just makes it seem like you could be attention-seeking. I'm not saying you are.
You're not going to get money taken away from someone else with PTSD if you get treatment. Talk to the docs, get yourself taken care of. They will make the decisions. All you need to do is worry about yourself.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Grouchio posted:

It's not the same, and I would heavily refrain from making any comparison to it in front of other people. What you say to your therapist is your own business.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Did you go to war, and thus have experienced both, resulting in an intimate knowledge of the relative similarity and dis-similarity of the two experiences? If not, then don't talk about things you only think you know about. You can describe what you feel, but don't assume that you know what other people have experienced. Think about it this way. If you have had cancer, do you know what HIV Positive people experience? You might think that your experience with one gives you insight into the other, but the two carry very different physical and social experiences. It's not that you're necessarily demeaning AIDS patients by comparing it to cancer, it's just that you'd be wrong to say that you've lived the same experience. You don't need the comparison to talk about your experiences, and since it has an extremely non-zero chance of being way off base, I'd err on the side of caution and just not bring up war-related PTSD (unless you've actually been to way and experienced PTSD from that as well, which I gather from your post that you haven't.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Grouchio posted:

I have high-functioning autism and have previously suffered chronic symptoms of PTSD from three separate occasions (from social turmoil) in the last few years

Tl;dr: I am a goon. :frogout:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Grouchio posted:

Honestly it doesn't matter, just do what you do man.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
mental illness stolen valor

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
vets will probably get outraged that you compare your mental illnesses to theirs.

there was some longass post a few up that i didnt read but it was probably about getting pissed you compared it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I get nervous crossing streets with garbage or huge crowds

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I get nervous crossing streets with garbage or huge crowds

Or huge crowds of garbage which is why you avoid St Patrick's Day?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
It's an IDR joke

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Has anyone else been having delays in getting their pell grant and loan money paid out to them? I usually have those refunded to me within two weeks of a new quarter.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Leather Bear posted:

Has anyone else been having delays in getting their pell grant and loan money paid out to them? I usually have those refunded to me within two weeks of a new quarter.

nope. You checked with your school's financial aid / registrar and everyone to make sure they haven't hosed up? I got my grant money in august

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm gonna contact them this week. Ebenefits is making GBS threads the bed too, so I can't see if the VA paid up yet.

edit: per my tuition account status, the VA hasn't paid up the 5K or so for the quarter, so that's the hold up.

bloops fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 29, 2015

• Locked thread