Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
With this new coverage of vocational schools being implemented, it raises a few questions. The main one being, will I still get BAH and have the school completely covered as if it were a public university?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Yes, you should have everything covered provided you're 100%. The BAH would work just like any regular school - your start and end dates are plugged into VA-ONCE and you will get paid accordingly; partial months are prorated.

Ballin'. I know you're just the messenger but goddamn you always deliver good news.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

100% is 100% for all programs at public universities, correct? Why do some of them have statements about the Yellow Ribbon program on their MBA sites? It makes me nervous, also this is all I think about at work.

With a combo of BAH and unemployment I could make 3800 a month just going to class in NYC. Thank you sweet baby jebus.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Math goes like this:

Does your school cost $17,500 in tuition & fees a year or less?
If yes, regular 100% GI Bill covers you completely
If no, YR (slots/$$$ cap pending) covers the rest

Hmm, so it's feasible that I could be forced to pay out of pocket for some of these universities?

That certainly makes my degree options much simpler and takes a lot of the difficulty out of choosing a specific career path.

Goddamn MBAs are expensive. ~50k a year. Ugh, I'd rather just get an engineering degree.

Guys, I'll get a job with an engineering degree (most likely Chemical) right? I don't want to have the same experience as I had after getting a degree in English.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 10, 2011

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Possible, yes. Likely? Couldn't tell you. Contact whoever is the certifying official at the schools you're looking at and ask about YR slots if it's not posted on their website.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, most schools tend to have a fairly large amount of YR slots vs. the number of people eligible.

At my school, we have ~470 vets out of a total population of ~15k. Of those 470, approximately 290-300 of them are 100% Post 9/11. We have 1000 YR slots, and my school costs ~10k a year for undergrad. Granted not everywhere is going to be skewed like this, but from what I've seen a university might have 75 YR slots and a total vet population of maybe 50.

A few of them, even with the YR money, would still have 5-10k per year left for me to pay. I realize that's nothing for an MBA, but hey I want my school to be free because I'm greedy.

Good to know though, there are private schools I've considered because with YR they'd be free. Now I know that most of them have a decent number of slots.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

I just looked it up, Harvard Business School has 50 YR slots. They throw in 10k, for a total of 20k (50/50 match with the VA). HBS costs 51k/year for tuition. GI bill covers 17.5k. So 17.5k/10k HBS / 10k VA = 47.5k out of 51.2k covered. And I'm pretty sure that's the most expensive school in the country, or drat close.

Those numbers are actually pretty similar to the other MBAs I was looking at. How hosed up is that? Duke and UNC end up being some of the cheapest "good" schools as far as costs are concerned.

Again, that's an incredibly insignificant sum considering the total cost is 100k but as I'm already waffling on going for an MBA in the first place it becomes very disconcerting.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

You also have to consider the fact that if you get an MBA from some place like HBS then the piddly 8k you might have to pay out of pocket (remember grants/fellowships/etc) would probably be covered by a portion of your signing bonus. Your odds of finding halfway decent employment is a tad better than joe fuckstick with an MBA from University of Phoenix.

Haha, of course, but the likelihood I get into a legit top 10 is very very slim.

I've been spending most of my daydreaming time trying to figure out what subject to pursue once I'm out, but honestly just being free and in college will make me so happy that the question is almost irrelevant.

(I have too many interests :( )

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Vasudus do you think colleges will adjust to the new payment method the GI Bill switched to this year?

For instance Columbia was almost affordable under the previous individual state caps vs the current $17,500 per year. It seems as if some of these schools haven't changed their yellow ribbon programs to accommodate the change. UT Austin, for instance, doesn't really have a yellow ribbon program because previously everything was covered, whereas now out of state or grad programs fall woefully short when it comes to funding.

I was just curious if it's just a transitional thing and we can look forward to a lot of schools just beefing up their yellow ribbon programs to compensate for the discrepancy.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Christ I wish I could leave the south. My wife has me trapped, surrounded by in-laws, ensuring that we will never leave. :(

The only solution is the one that all Southerners inherently understand: Eat your feelings.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Also something like 80% of all Post 9/11 money goes to the University of Phoenix. It's a depressing as gently caress statistic.

Oh wow, that is just horrific. Education offices are clearly terrible at their jobs.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Hey RB, I wrote about half of my personal statement and comes off to me as a little whiny. I was wondering if either you could take a look at it and see if the tone is right or shoot me a sample of the tone of one of the guys you were working with.

Yea no problem. I'm on leave right now so give me a few days. Once I get to Tampa I'll give you my email.

I wish could stay on leave forever.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Yes, because Summer 2011 is AY2010-2011. Fall 2011/Spring 2012 is AY2011-2012. Take whatever you got from Fall 2011 and subtract it from 1,000 and that's what your maximum can be for Spring 2012. If you take classes in Summer 2012, you might not end up getting anything for books.

Does this work for the 17.5k cap per year for tuition? So if I start in the spring I can use up the whole 17.5k in one semester and then in the fall it starts a new year?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Yes, actually it does. If you start in Spring you get one extra cycle out of them. Until they figure it out and close that loophole to save 500k over 15 years or some poo poo.

Oh I hope that stays around for a little while. I was trying to go to culinary school in the spring before I start my MBA. That would be sweet if I can pull that off.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

None of the worthwhile states to live in actually have anything as helpful as the Hazelwood act.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

moker posted:

So why doesnt florida have one?

There are a shockingly high number of people that think FL is amazing. I don't understand it, but they exist.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Does anyone know of mediocre/good engineering schools that will accept second bachelor's applications?

I'm still aiming to go overseas, but in case that falls through because of cost or bureaucracy I'd like to have some stateside schools in the pipeline.

So far everything either requires me to have already done a bunch of science and math in order to get in or they just straight up don't allow a second bachelor's.

The schools I've found that will let me in are Oregon State, U of Arizona, and Colorado State. I'm trying to go someplace not in the south or midwest.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Hmm, I didn't know about that one although South Carolina is in the Danger Zone of southern states I want to avoid plus I'm looking for Chem E preferably although Nuclear is a bit intriguing as well.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

KetTarma posted:

I'll warn you that nuclear is extremely specialized. Also, if you want to live in an area that is near civilization, stay away from nuclear. Another problem is that nuclear power in America isn't doing so well lately. We have two new AP1000 plants being built but just shut down Crystal River nuclear generating station and will probably end up shutting down San Onofre nuclear generating station eventually too. Between increasingly burdensome regulatory costs and uneducated environmental groups, it isn't a field that looks to have much growth in the future. One of the big problems is that our nuclear reactor "fleet" is extremely old and needs to be replaced with much safer designs. The problem is that no one wants to sink a billion dollars into a new plant when natural gas is so much cheaper right now. It's pretty depressing.

Yes, I am a bitter ex-nuke.

Haha, yea I've heard things along the same lines. I'll likely stay away from it. Chemical is definitely the most interesting and then the few places that let you do a lot of hydro stuff with civil seem interesting. poo poo petroleum sounds cool if you got to work anywhere but the boonies.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

HClChicken posted:

My school (North Carolina State University), has both ChemE and NucE (Sp?). It's not in the top 10 but has a pretty good program. I think chemE is in the top 25 depending on the year.

Wow, NCState is ranked 6 on NucE: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/nuclear-engineering-rankings

Oh I'd definitely go to NC state, but I'd have to go to another school first to get the required amount of math/science classes before they'd let me in. I might still end up there but I'm trying to find schools that'll just let me in straight away. More and more it's looking like Oregon State is where I'll end up. They bend over backwards for vets and are a decent engineering school.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

HClChicken posted:

Try and get in touch with one of the advisors and ask what they require. Even though I'm not matriculated while in the military I can take up to 6 SH per semester. I was able to take sophmore level engineering courses doing this.

I'll talk to them, but I'm going to have to be in some sort of degree program to use the GI Bill which is the main concern.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

KetTarma posted:

But KetTarma! You speak of gloom and doom. I'm soooo close why don't I just finish it then go on to do a second undergrad?!
Well, let me emphasize that going to school full time means you're not working. You would normally get Pell and FAFSA money to compensate what the GI bill doesn't cover. Except now, you're a post bachelorate student. You are the person that refuses to move on from undergrad and get a job, you leech. You are the 8 years-to-graduate stereotype that everyone hates. Ok, you know that you don't get all of the Pell/FAFSA money. Now apply for a scholarship. A lot of them if not most require you to be a first time degree seeker. There's always fraud but do you really want to go down that route?

Listen to this man. I have a BA by way of getting one at FSU BEFORE joining the military. I don't want to stay in liberal arts so I'm essentially hosed unless I get a second Bachelor's.

You have no idea how goddamn difficult it is to convince schools to even accept you even though you're free money for them. The money falls off drastically as well because suddenly the only thing you're allowed is the GI Bill, Yellow Ribbon, and Loans. That's loving it.

Also, I hate the advice of getting a Masters in a separate program because if you're going cross disciplinary just finding a school that'll accept you once you finish pre-reqs is nearly impossible not to mention you're going to be at an academic disadvantage because you just don't have the foundation to do the work. Just gently caress that idea. In general if anyone is thinking about getting out and possibly getting a different Bachelor's DO NOT FINISH YOUR DEGREE. Getting in as a transfer student is remarkably simpler.

The worst part about the process is the heavily implied conclusion that my original degree is completely worthless. While it's not been particularly effective in the post collapse job market I loved getting my degree and I've absolutely developed worthwhile skills from it. I just want to pursue something different without being treated like a goddamn leper.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

spongeworthy posted:

spongeworthy
University of Texas at Austin
International Relations, Middle East Studies

Jealous. I loving adore that city. Alas, they won't take me.

It's looking fairly likely I'm going to end up at Oregon State since they're friendly and I've got a surprisingly large number of friends in the region.

West coast, best coast.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Hey there's usually no issues with post 9/11 at a community college, correct? I'm thinking of taking care of some pre reqs in a decent city before committing to a degree.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

GD_American posted:

Worked for me for 2 years.

Word.

Its looking like I'm chilling with a friend in Portland for a year and either going to Portland State or one of the community colleges.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

How many months can I sit on unemployment without telling them I'm in school, realistically? (For the state of Oregon)

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

GD_American posted:

HR Management this summer. Thank the gently caress christ it's a) online and b) an accelerated summer course.

If I had to take a four month class on how to be a professional snitch and crumbsnatcher there's no way I could keep up the facade.

The first few times I saw The Office I felt bad for Toby, and then I realized he was in HR. gently caress HR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWrXZzzq1B0

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Hello this is the education thread.

I just learned more about nuclear physics in the last three pages than I thought possible. :science:

Has anyone done a study abroad while being on their Post 9/11?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

HClChicken posted:

I understand the Pell Grant becomes cash in my pocket after the GI bill pays for the tuition. How do other grants to include institution grants work?

*whistles*

I'm applying to CU for the spring and I'm not going to see any of this sweet grant money because I'm getting a second bachelors. I want to be jealous, but I'm just so happy someone's making out like a bandit.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Just out of curiosity. Has anyone in here pursuing a second bachelor's gotten any sweet free money for being poor? My understanding is that nearly all of that is ear marked for first degree seeking students, but maybe I missed something.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Pretty much any form of free money including probably 99% of any scholarship is for first time degree seekers only. Second bachelors gets hosed, graduate students are expected to either pay for it or have their program pay for it.

That's what I thought, just figured I'd ask since I have a wonderful tendency to overlook things.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

KetTarma posted:

For what it's worth, I haven't found anything that was worth a drat.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I got my certificate of eligibility done in 2010 because I didn't want to pay any more money into the MGIB. Do I need a new one since the one I have is 3+ yrs old? Alternatively is there a place on this ebenefits site to print a new one because I'm not seeing it?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

GD_American posted:

Are you switching chapters?

No, I did it originally to switch to Post 9/11. I guess my concern is that my current certificate doesn't show that I've served 4 years since it's 3yrs old.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

DinosaurWarfare posted:

I apologize if this has been answered in the first 76 pages, but considering the jump from English to Engineering is kind of huge, and from what I've gathered most graduate engineering programs want you to already have an undergrad from an ABET accredited program, what's the "smartest" way to use your benefits to accomplish this?

If a particular school offers a post-bachelor's certificate for this kind of situation that leads into a 2nd degree, would it be wise/possible to slowly kill that using TA while on AD and then do the 2nd bachelor's using GI Bill?

I'm going to do the second bachelors as well also from English to Engineering. There is all of one program I've found which is at Boston U (maybe college) that fast tracks you through a program to a masters. Outside of that you're sort of forced into the second degree. Of course finding a place that will let you in for a second degree is also a giant pain but usually state schools will allow it. I know there are a few people on here doing something similar so you're by no means alone.

Also, if you have or get a year or two of math/science University of Melbourne in Australia will let you do a three year masters in engineering. Just a heads up.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Optiquest posted:

The world is pretty full up on doctors and engineers so go hog wild.

This is demonstrably false. Particularly the first.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

gleep gloop posted:

So for schools that do have limits on the yellow ribbon program how does that work? I assume some random system based on seniority or GPA or something?

The schools I've talked to about it have it as a first come first serve thing, where you maintain your YR as long as you're in school and then once someone on the roster leaves/graduates the person at the top of the list takes their spot.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

You mean like study abroad stuff? You've got two options:

2) You pick a 100% foreign school, ie: you apply as a foreign student to Oxford or something. From that point it's a black hole of 'I don't know' because I've never known anyone to do this route.

I should hear back from a Canadian school that I applied to within the next two weeks. If I get in I'll be going and give a heads up on the process.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

OK cool. Well that's pretty great then! I'm almost stunned by how well thought out the Post-9/11 is.

Godholio posted:

It really seems like something designed by an organization other than the USG, that's for sure.

gleep gloop posted:

When it's working well the GI Bill is the second best way to go to college in this country, right behind being rich as hell. You only need to pass not keep up a GPA, so if you get nothing but Cs for four years yipee!

You can thank Jim Webb for putting the Bill together and getting it passed. Also, if you're curious who voted against it because they're asssholes I've linked the two votes. Oh and my favorite part about that is that McCain didn't like the bill but knew it'd look terrible if he voted no so he didn't vote.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2008/roll432.xml

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=2&vote=00162

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

gleep gloop posted:

McCaine wanted to say no because he thought it'd kill retention right? Did the other nos/not voting have the same reasoning?

Yea most of the opposition was some combo of retention/expense concerns. I remember McCain had an alternate plan that was just laughably terrible.

The take home point here is that Jim Webb is loving legit and it's a shame he got out of politics. Post 9/11 was the first thing he did after getting elected to the Senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

So is it 100% that the BAH increase won't show up until August? Does it matter that I'm starting school in 2014 (Jan), or is that irrelevant?

• Locked thread