Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Posted this in the civ thread but was told this might be the better place.

I have ~6 months of GI Bill benefits left and the fall semester runs Sept 2 - Dec 19. That means that I'll have a few months of benefits left for the spring semester. How does running those final months out work? Do they prorate tuition? Only pay BAH for those two months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

front wing flexing posted:

You get the whole semester covered BAH and tuition.

This just made my day.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

dennis4167 posted:

Not familiar with what 'intel mos' is.. I was in the Navy, my rating was Yeoman if that is what you are asking?

Well you've certainly got the syntax down...

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Godholio posted:

Maybe an involuntary/honorable separation might change his eligibility?

A girl I knew got invol/honorable for medical reasons (not pregnancy, epilepsy I think) she was prorated her benefits.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

gleep gloop posted:

I wonder why schools do that. Rutgers would email me like the day after tuition was due, because it was always like a month late. It would just say "Hey uhh we haven't got any money. Just letting you know. Haven't gotten paid yet. Yup no tuition." They KNOW they're going to get paid. Maybe not on time but they will get it.

I guess they wanted to scare us into mass emailing the VA to make them pay?

My school now never says poo poo. The VA just now paid for my summer session from July, and fall. Last year the VA was about two months late for tuition. My school sent them a late fee and they paid it lol.

Michigan State just had a flag in my student account that the money would be forthcoming from the VA and they just assumed it was there -- which was nice because I got 100% back from financial aid right away.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

scavok posted:

So I received my stipend for books and supplies, but since I'm still active duty until September 2nd, no BAH. Should I expect BAH to start automatically next month, or should I try to contact someone to make sure they're aware I've separated?

You should absolutely make sure they know. I was screwed for most of my first semester because the VA thought I was still on active duty - despite going to school over 400 miles away from the closest AD Air Force base.

I had to borrow money from my parents to pay rent :negative:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

Should I be expecting book money any day now? School starts in two weeks.

Last I got from the VA was them sending me a payment for 666 bucks for books and poo poo a few weeks ago but nothing has hit my bank account.

Soon. My book money hit on Monday and class starts next week.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

RichieHimself posted:

Yeah it varies a ton based on school but it's generally a good thing. The chapter at my school can't seem to get people to come to meetings but they still do weekly meetups at a local bar and other random BBQs and poo poo throughout the year. The only meeting they had last winter was just me and a handful of chill dudes so it was cool but I imagine it'd suck if it's full of dudes rocking high and tights that want to tell you about that time they totally killed a guy.

I don't have Thursday night classes for once this semester so I can actually go to those things :toot:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

RichieHimself posted:

Nice! I haven't been to any yet but it seems like an alright time.

I'm looking forward to hanging with some people who aren't my boyfriend's friends or folks who think I've fallen off the face of the earth because I moved out of East Lansing.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

e: nm

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

gleep gloop posted:

If you're no longer working ask your financial aid office about a loss of income statement.

Yes do this.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

So can I expect to be paid at the end of the month or should I give my landlord the heads up about rent being late?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Got my eligibility letter for the spring semester today. I have a question about this:

Does this mean that after the upcoming semester I still have 2 months? Because if so I will be extremely happy.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

grover posted:

Nothing at all wrong with community colleges; they're the butt of a lot of jokes, but if you go in with the right attitude, you'll learn just as much. Everything you've heard about study habits and all still applies. The one thing I'd be very careful about is (as Ket & GD pointed out, too) transfer credits- it definitely behooves you to do your homework and make sure you're taking the right courses for your future program, and that everything you take will transfer. Spend the time, make the calls, and find out. You don't want to get have to take the same class again because of some technicality in the way the course used computers or broken down lecture vs lab or so on. Also, some CCs offer completely worthless introductory courses and other classes that may end up not being worth anything in transfer credits.

When the credits do transfer, the 4-year school will typically only recognize the credits, not the GPA. So your GPA will start afresh at the new school. Which may be good or bad, depending on your particular circumstances...

Get out Grover.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

gleep gloop posted:

You need to call someone immediately about that before you lose financial aid for it being too late.

Yes do not gently caress around with schools and money. No one will catch it if you don't call.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cole posted:

How are your pool orgies going

That out of the way, no, you won't get a tax return because you paid no taxes. Your income also isn't taxable. Try to claim it and you'll end up owing the government for no reason (if you can even file).

Apply for every scholarship and grant on the planet that you possibly can. Seriously. It's free loving money. What's the worst that can happen? You don't get anything? Well that means you didn't lose anything but the time it took to apply. It takes like a few hours of paperwork and running around for the possibility ofseveral thousands of dollars or more. You'll be stupid not to try.

Friendly reminder that if you're going to chase after ~*~sick burnz~*~ in a resource thread at least try to answer the question like Cole did here.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

If y'all want to get all angsty and outraged over a 6 hour probation please don't do it in a resource thread.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

I seem to recall the answer being yes but, double checking, if you have one day of benefits left for the start of the semester you get full benefits (tuition and BAH) for the entire time, correct?

I am finishing up a Master's program in May and thinking of just rolling straight into a MBA. I know I should look into the UT-Austin Rhetoric program but don't really want to move back to that traffic nightmare after moving up 35.

Correct.

I had 15 days at the beginning of the last semester and they paid benefits for the entire thing.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

anne frank fanfic posted:

Yes, so all you r*tarded freaks who talk about 'poop'ing and 'pooping on your balls' and going into portashitters to 'poo poo poop on your balls and masturbate on your phones' and other gross stuff with your Kuwait deployments (talking about how much you pooped, shitted, or masturbated in a desert between video games and not even having the wrath of Mother Mullah Omar reigning down upon you in blasts of hot iron and Mohammad Semen?? wtf you guys are lazy, gross, non contributors to the war effort) are not getting in. We have standards and you kuwait mother *retards are not in unless you deployed several times + had company command or whatever the enlisted equivalent to sucking the half-birds dick and cleaning up poop blood and semen stains from a few hundred dudes and lesbians is.

This type of post isn't welcome in resource threads. Please be mindful :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Please reference new thread for veterans issues/benefits:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750680

v/r
Nostalgia4Infinity

• Locked thread