Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What are we looking at for getting our next GI bill payment? This is my second semester. In the fall, I didn't get paid until early October. Should I expect the same delay in the spring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Well some of us are fine in school we just make terrible decisions.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

drat. That's over twice what I get. What's your rent?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

With the summer coming up, what is the best way to have the least amount of gaps with no GI Bill BAH payments and how many hours should I take so as to not waste any of my months? I don't know how the summer semester works at all, really.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'll be at UT in the fall, still in shitass community college for the summer. But yeah, I know 6 hours is enough to get the full payment, but I don't want to eat up whole months of my total 36 and not get enough credits, putting me behind schedule and having to make it up later down the road.

One reason for wanting to stay in school during the summer is to avoid having a 3 month gap between Spanish I and Spanish II.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

There's always grad school students.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Using GI Bill at two colleges simultaneously:

I got accepted to transfer to University of Texas and will be starting there in the fall. I'll be taking 12 hours there and then 5 hours (Spanish) at my old community college. Is there anything special I need to do, or just normal procedures with both schools and I keep getting all my money?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Just got paid. Looks like the BAH increase is in effect now. I used to get 1422, now I got 1611. Austin TX.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Not enough time to double major?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I got denied because I used unemployment and that income was too much. Can I still get a Pell? I don't know what documentation I'd need. I'm still unemployed.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

gleep gloop posted:

Yup get used to that.

Nice.
Though the unemployment wasn't all for nothing. I got 11k out of it and paid off my credit card. I'll most likely be going straight to grad school, and have no interest in ever working for a for-profit company (except for MAYBE a publishing company), which just isn't something people here seem to understand. Making lots of money isn't going to make me a happy, fulfilled person (which is good since I probably never will).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So in 2014 I had no income besides the GI Bill, which is tax free. So, I made no money in the IRS's eyes. Will I still get anything "back?" Like, is there some kind of credit that applies even if you make nothing?

Also, do a lot of you apply for scholarships? I have thought about it, but I also feel guilty about it because I don't need the money, and I'd hate to take it away from someone who does.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cole posted:

That out of the way, no, you won't get a tax return because you paid no taxes. Your income also isn't taxable. Try to claim it and you'll end up owing the government for no reason (if you can even file).

Okay. That's what I figured. Thanks for the quick answer.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

If I get a chance to study abroad next summer, I don't think the GI Bill pays the extra costs. Are there any ways to get those covered or do I need to save up?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

gently caress you, blue squares.

Lemme get my lube

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

edit: not really relevant to this thread

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

If you want to teach after you get your MFA, the only thing I would worry about is which program has better job placement rates (aside from funding, of course). The market is swamped with MFAs.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

If you want to go to graduate school, UC Davis is probably a better bet. You will have professors with better connections that will write you letters of recommendations. I'm going to a school where half of my faculty got their PhDs from the #1 program in the country and know everyone there, and the rest of my faculty went to programs 2-6.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I didn't get any Pell Grant money for this current semester or last because of my income + unemployment. However, I should be able to get some for fall. I just logged in to my already completed application and I can't see where I have or have not been awarded any money. Do I have to check with my school?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Vasadus, you've said many times that we don't need to report BAH on various forms, but I am wondering about this one (I called my veteran office but no one answered):

This is to accept my financial awards, which are loving huge this coming semester and I really could use them to pay off some of the debt I'm going to have from the summer.

edit: To update, I got through to the office and they said that they didn't really know, but in general you don't have to report stuff. The guy I talked to said he had the same situation and left it blank. So I did as well. I hope I didn't do anything that's going to get me into trouble, because I'm being awarded $6,300 per semester.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 2, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pandasmores posted:

VA reps at UT Austin that I'd receive a list of the credits from my JST that were accepted after applying the ones from high school/CC to becoming a transfer student.

The list will be: zero. I go there and I did not get poo poo, and I was in a technical field in the Navy.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

As long as you have a little foresight and play your cards right you can really be set up. They're just throwing money at me at this point and I still make almost double what I did while active duty not working? ......

Like on top of everything else I also got $2,400 of grant money for the academic year. Tuition includes books so there's another $800

I got $12,600 in grants this year ahaha

blue squares fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 7, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

One of my classes was unexpectedly cancelled yesterday and I had to sign up for a different one. The tuition was already paid for the first classes. The bill will be the exact same with the new class. Do I need to do anything to make sure everything is okay?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Vasudus posted:

No, certification is only the number of credit hours and the cost. If none of that changes it's irrelevant.
Thanks for the quick response as always, Vas

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Zeris posted:

Does GI Bill certification come via snail mail / will an electronic version appear on ebenefits?

Both. My college allows me to use a screenshot of my ebenfits stuff. I send them the page that says how many months I have remaining.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've done 18 and 20 hour semesters and got all A's, its just about good time management.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

True, my classes are easier than STEM majors. I shouldn't have posted that anyway.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The only times I get insanely busy with school are when I have group projects because I inevitably have to do the work of four or five people mostly by myself

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

When I look at my time remaining on Ebenefits (14 months and 11 days), does that include the days of this semester that have not yet happened (i.e., tomorrow through December)? Or has the whole semester already been subtracted? I am trying to just make sure I have enough time left to do my last three semesters after this one.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Leather Bear posted:

Collecting unemployment also stops you from collecting Pell Grants. That's 5800 bucks gone.

That seemed to be true in my case, but I got a lot more than 5800

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Not from the pell grant you didn't, genius.

From unemployment. Pay attention to context.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Drawing unemployment was kind of lovely of me since I didn't really need it, but my rear end in a top hat Governor didn't expand Medicaid and now I'm paying out the rear end for insurance, so gently caress the state budget

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

sharkbomb posted:

Why are you paying for health insurance? I am means tested into full VA coverage. As a student you don't make any money and should qualify for healthcare. I've been doing it for a few years now.

I never went to a combat theater and so I was under the impression I was not eligible for anything. I'm 20% disabled fwiw

blue squares fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 6, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I have a medical question: If I have high-functioning autism and have previously suffered chronic symptoms of PTSD from three separate occasions (from social turmoil) in the last few years, would it be respectable or dis-respectful to compare my PTSD to that of a shell-shocked war veteran's?

I don't think you should worry about comparing things. What is your goal in making this comparison? It doesn't accomplish anything. If anything, it just makes it seem like you could be attention-seeking. I'm not saying you are.
You're not going to get money taken away from someone else with PTSD if you get treatment. Talk to the docs, get yourself taken care of. They will make the decisions. All you need to do is worry about yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

nope. You checked with your school's financial aid / registrar and everyone to make sure they haven't hosed up? I got my grant money in august

same

• Locked thread