Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ok, question for other milgoons:

I used my Post-9/11 last year and due to my job and long hours, was only able to attend one class during a summer semester, and at night.

Now I have received a call from a bill collector representing the school I attended (a local community college). I got a VM from them and called back within 20 minutes after I listened to the VM to figure out what the hell was going on, and when they told me it was the school trying to collect a debt, I told them that I had filed all the paperwork and was told by the relevant school representatives that I was good on paperwork and had it all completed. The debt collector rep told me she'd communicate this to the school and I haven't heard anything else. Should I call back and see what's up, or should I contact the school directly?

Better yet, does the Post-9/11 require me to attend class continuously? I was told I needed to follow a degree plan and choose a degree I wanted to get, which I did--the class I took was part of that degree plan but was a core class and not necessarily a class that pertained to the degree itself, just something the degree plan said was required.

So is it more likely the paperwork was wrong and something needs to be corrected there, or that I have to attend class continuously and have used up my Post-9/11 benefits unwittingly?

And while I'm here, is it true I could only have transferred my benefits to my children while I was still in the military and that I cannot do it now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What do you mean attend class continuously? If you drop a course or get a W you will be responsible for paying for it depending on these situation. If you dropped out then there's a good chance you owe money, but I would think that someone would have contacted you before a bill collector.

If you mean do you have to use it for 36 months continuously then the answer is no, you can use it in portions however you see fit for the 10 years it lasts after you separate.

I was you I would call the school directly and ask them what the gently caress is up because having a bill in collections is bad for your credit score. They're gonna know alot more than the piece of poo poo working at the collections agency.

I dunno about transferring benefits but using the GI bill to attend 1 night class seems like an awful waste. You don't get nearly as much BAH $$$ and the benefits run out based on days used, not money spent. Call the VA to check your benefit status and call the school to see why your bills are in collections

I didn't drop out, I finished and passed the class.

I had intended to keep taking classes but I work 60+ hours a week. I don't know when I'll be able to start back up again.

I know the debt collector rep won't know anything, but I basically disputed the debt and didn't know what, if any, steps to take afterward. I don't really need the BAH and do not have the time to take the amount semester hours needed to be eligible for BAH. I mean, I could stop working and just focus on school, but my wife and I need my income to supplement hers, and it's currently higher than what I'd be getting out of BAH.

• Locked thread